Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Groh and Press Taylor are gone

Restinpeacesweetchloe

13 minutes ago, IinD said:

Totally makes sense. Those guys clamped down and caught almost anything thrown at them.

I feel like a former Hof WR could transition pretty well into coaching it if they really wanted to. It wouldn't be like he's coming in to coordinate an entire offense.

Who better to teach you route running and everything you need to know about being a wr? This is all if he wanted to of course.

Reggie showed TY the ropes and he will be the first to tell you how big of an impact Reggie had on his career,and still does. 

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Probably not too excited about the prospects for his position group.  Pittman is pretty much it.  

The Giants don't have much anymore. I think Sterling Shepard won't be back. I do like Slayton but he had a down season last year (according to my friend who is a Giants season-ticket holder). 

34 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Look at the talent the 2 Super Bowl teams have at WR;  then compare that to the garbage we trotted out there this past season.  Complete failure by Ballard.

agreed, Ballard needs to throw that money around in FA.  Good quality players though.  He betted on PC being our number 2 and it failed.  I think Pittman, a healthy PC, Hines could’ve been a nice trio of receivers but PC wasn’t healthy, Hines wasn’t utilized, and Pittman was the lone receiver who was good.

Personally I liked what I saw from Brady.  I put most of the load situationally on Reichs play calling and Wentz not utilizing his check downs when he needed to.  Also I still maintain that Wentz is not that great at  buying himself time inside of the pocket.  Would be good for him maybe to get with Peyton and work on how he moves inside of the pocket footwork wise.  We all know he can buy time with his feet outside of if.  To me sometimes it's like he stands flat footed in the middle of the pocket and just lets it cave in on him for a sack.

14 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Whoever was helping Carson FAILED. Period.  Per Irsay they should be gone.

As for Marcus Brady, as the OC... he is responsible to do quality control and strategize the offensive game plan. The play sheet sucked. Example:  He underutilized Hines, WR including having quick ones like DeMichael, Keke and Michael Strachan. NO CREATIVITY. Sirianni was creative and enthusiastic. Marcus Brady was a DUD. I also blame Reich for all of this. We drafted Strachan to be a WR not ST.  Can you imagine if Cincy shelved Tee Higgins because he did not play on ST?  

Can I get that quote from Irsay?

Tee Higgins  33 overall 

Strachan 7th round.   

Awesome comparison 

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

The Giants don't have much anymore. I think Sterling Shepard won't be back. I do like Slayton but he had a down season last year (according to my friend who is a Giants season-ticket holder). 

The NYG actually had some decent WR talent last year...they just kept getting hurt last year. Golladay, Toney and Slayton will definitely still be there. I would take that group over the Colts group.

But it was rumored that the Colts really liked Toney in the draft last year. Perhaps Groh was one of the more vocal advocates for him. And now he gets to coach him.

13 hours ago, IinD said:

I remember Reggie's story he'd tell about how he learned to catch. His brother would throw rocks at him so he had to learn quick .. Lol

Get that guy back here.

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball. 

I mean, if you can catch a rock you can catch a ball. 

3 hours ago, shasta519 said:

The NYG actually had some decent WR talent last year...they just kept getting hurt last year. Golladay, Toney and Slayton will definitely still be there. I would take that group over the Colts group.

But it was rumored that the Colts really liked Toney in the draft last year. Perhaps Groh was one of the more vocal advocates for him. And now he gets to coach him.

I don't know why but I am not a fan of Golladay. He had his moments with Detroit but I never thought he was great.

I forgot about Toney.  I guess it is because I do not remember him doing much in the game I attended with my friend. He had two catches for -2 yards. 

I like Slayton and Shepard a lot.  The Giants will miss the steady Shepard. I don't like signing free agents but if he did not cost too much, I would want my team to sign Shepard. 

21 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Ballard and Reich really benefited in making the coaching changes to satisfy Irsay and at the same time not look like the bad guy by firing them. (Except Baker DL). 

I think our poor offensive performance stems from these coaches. (WR and schematics) The last one that needs to go is the QB coach. He did nothing to fix Carson Wentz.  IMO, Marcus Brady is on Ballard's HOT seat. If we can upgrade we should do it.

Reich has his struggles ahead as Pederson (his ex boss) is coaching the Jags. Looks to me like Pederson knows Reich's tendencies as a play caller. 

Oh yeah!!!??? Well. .... Looks to me like Reich knows Pederson's tendencies, so take that!! Lol

On 2/10/2022 at 6:41 PM, Superman said:

What do you even know about Parks Frazier? And what does the assistant QB coach have to do with the now vacant WR coach position?

Wasn't he a virtual unknown that came from the defensive side of things (coaching) until Reich hired him in 2018.... IIRC, he's purely a Reich connection (friend of friend), and was originally brought on due to his stats/admin/QC background. But on your 2nd, sentence above, I guess asst QB is closer to WR, then his original small school QB background had to do with defense?

On 2/10/2022 at 6:15 PM, AustexColt said:

Whoever was helping Carson FAILED. Period.  Per Irsay they should be gone.

As for Marcus Brady, as the OC... he is responsible to do quality control and strategize the offensive game plan. The play sheet sucked. Example:  He underutilized Hines, WR including having quick ones like DeMichael, Keke and Michael Strachan. NO CREATIVITY. Sirianni was creative and enthusiastic. Marcus Brady was a DUD. I also blame Reich for all of this. We drafted Strachan to be a WR not ST.  Can you imagine if Cincy shelved Tee Higgins because he did not play on ST?  

I agree creativity was lacking. Routes and personnel use were blander than Chipotle... 

Strachan/Higgins comparison though misses the barn all together. 

On 2/10/2022 at 6:45 PM, Superman said:

Yet, they're not gone. Have it your way, Reich, and every other offensive assistant would be fired. And yet, they aren't. So why not move on?

As for Marcus Brady, and the game planning and play calling, there's plenty of criticism that can be spread around. But that includes Wentz. I guarantee left handed passes while being tackled are not in the game plan. 

I don't think any of us knows very much about what Nick Sirianni did or didn't bring to the offense. Same as we don't know very much what Marcus Brady brings or doesn't bring.

Doubt anyone will move on until we see a more dynamic offense. Not suggesting Wentz doesn't have some onus, but there's enough stuff out there for folks to continue questioning a lot of things, including the staff. It's just really hard to tell (staff) who is good, and who is not. I will say this though, our entire staff on O seems pretty "meh" from a resume perspective. And that includes Reich.

On Sirianni, I agree. We don't have much of a clue. If you compare Philly's passing game to Indy's, neither were great. Indy's core stats were a bit better. That's a bit of a headscratcher given Philly's OL was top 5, and they have a better (but young) WR unit. 

On 2/10/2022 at 7:04 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I don’t think I have ever seen anything like this. For a team that was starting to get stale hopefully it’s a good thing.

Whenever you lose a coordinator (or HC), you always see a lot of turnover. That explains all of the D staff changes. Then you Press who got a promo (I think he's overrated), and Groh probably sees more opportunity under Dabol in NY. Guessing they will be making a lot of changes, but will be O focused given their new HC and OC. 

On 2/10/2022 at 10:45 PM, compuls1v3 said:

How does an RB coach get interviewed for an OC?? Seems weird to me.

He's actually an ex-WR (college and NFL), and has been a QB coach and OC in college. 

I was a bit surprised we placed him as RB coach, but just assumed we wanted to throw to RBs more lol.. 

Which makes Hines' snap decrease all the more of a head scratcher. 

IMO, he should have been more in-demand than Press for OC.

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Wasn't he a virtual unknown that came from the defensive side of things (coaching) until Reich hired him in 2018.... IIRC, he's purely a Reich connection (friend of friend), and was originally brought on due to his stats/admin/QC background. But on your 2nd, sentence above, I guess asst QB is closer to WR, then his original small school QB background had to do with defense?

Wasn't unknown by Reich. What if he's a guy that Reich knows, and thinks he has a future as an NFL coach, and they've trained him for a greater role on the staff? Isn't that how every young coach gets his start?

Also, Frazier was a defensive assistant for a year, then an offensive assistant for two years. Then he got hired by the Colts.

Ultimately, my question was why take a shot at a coach no one knows anything about? It was out of the blue, and doesn't seem called for. And I don't know why he would be connected with the WR coach vacancy in the first place, unless there's a rumor or past indication that he would be in line for that position.

Doubt anyone will move on until we see a more dynamic offense. Not suggesting Wentz doesn't have some onus, but there's enough stuff out there for folks to continue questioning a lot of things, including the staff. It's just really hard to tell (staff) who is good, and who is not. I will say this though, our entire staff on O seems pretty "meh" from a resume perspective. And that includes Reich.

Again, not the point. Indiscriminately hating on the coaching staff because Wentz didn't look good, and because Strachan didn't play, is just sensationalism. 

And even then, saying 'the coaching staff needs to be better' is different from 'everyone who had anything to do with Wentz should be fired.' 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Wasn't unknown by Reich. What if he's a guy that Reich knows, and thinks he has a future as an NFL coach, and they've trained him for a greater role on the staff? Isn't that how every young coach gets his start?

Also, Frazier was a defensive assistant for a year, then an offensive assistant for two years. Then he got hired by the Colts.

Ultimately, my question was why take a shot at a coach no one knows anything about? It was out of the blue, and doesn't seem called for. And I don't know why he would be connected with the WR coach vacancy in the first place, unless there's a rumor or past indication that he would be in line for that position.

After looking at him closer, he was recommended by a low level guy Reich new for one year in Philly. I'm fine with guys moving up the chain, but his resume is meh. Other teams have more experienced guys plain and simple. Sounds like his playing days were meh, but perhaps his academic (tech/stats) got him a foot in the door as a QC guy. Not saying he can't rise up, just saying his background is meh....

In short, he was a mediocre QB at a small school, and has no P5 or NFL experience. But to the original point of the previous post, not sure it's a stretch to move to WR coach, if he can go from mediocre college QB, to D, then back to asst QB coach. 

Here's his resume. Looks perhaps like a Reich project.

• Samford (2015)
    • Defensive quality control
  • Middle Tennessee State (2015)
    • Defensive quality control
  • Arkansas State (2016–2017)
    • Graduate assistant
  • Indianapolis Colts (2018–2019)
    • Assistant to the head coach
  • Indianapolis Colts (2020)
    • Offensive quality control
  • Indianapolis Colts (2021–present)
    • Assistant quarterbacks coach
1 hour ago, Superman said:

Again, not the point. Indiscriminately hating on the coaching staff because Wentz didn't look good, and because Strachan didn't play, is just sensationalism. 

And even then, saying 'the coaching staff needs to be better' is different from 'everyone who had anything to do with Wentz should be fired.' 

You're a high IQ guy, so you know the questions around Reich and staff aren't limited to 2021, and the Wentz year. 

The poster made perhaps a bad connection, or over stressed one area, but there's plenty of head scratching to draw from in Reich's tenure. His claims to fame so far... not play calling for a SB team, and 4 QBs in 4 years. 

But I do give him credit for cutting down on Wentz's INTs, but at the same time, stifling him from a L2 and 3 perspective. 

Personally, wouldn't have made the Strachan connection, but Reich's use of skill players also has a ton of Qs. 

On 2/12/2022 at 8:55 PM, EastStreet said:

After looking at him closer, he was recommended by a low level guy Reich new for one year in Philly. I'm fine with guys moving up the chain, but his resume is meh. Other teams have more experienced guys plain and simple. Sounds like his playing days were meh, but perhaps his academic (tech/stats) got him a foot in the door as a QC guy. Not saying he can't rise up, just saying his background is meh....

In short, he was a mediocre QB at a small school, and has no P5 or NFL experience. But to the original point of the previous post, not sure it's a stretch to move to WR coach, if he can go from mediocre college QB, to D, then back to asst QB coach. 

Here's his resume. Looks perhaps like a Reich project.

He's the assistant QBs coach. Some teams don't even staff this position. It's a low level, developmental spot. Generally, this guy isn't going to have an impressive resume. Is this the guy you're using the judge the quality/experience level of the coaching staff?

I feel like you're arguing a point that wasn't really on the deck a few posts ago. Simply put, my question was why is Parks Frazier being hated on, and why would anyone think he's on deck to be the next WR coach? Now this is turning into a judgment on the entire coaching staff, which is a completely different discussion.

You're a high IQ guy, so you know the questions around Reich and staff aren't limited to 2021, and the Wentz year. 

The poster made perhaps a bad connection, or over stressed one area, but there's plenty of head scratching to draw from in Reich's tenure. His claims to fame so far... not play calling for a SB team, and 4 QBs in 4 years. 

But I do give him credit for cutting down on Wentz's INTs, but at the same time, stifling him from a L2 and 3 perspective. 

Personally, wouldn't have made the Strachan connection, but Reich's use of skill players also has a ton of Qs. 

And of course, it always seems to come back to a way to blame Reich.

Other poster says 'Marcus Brady should be fired because he was the QB coach, and the QB was bad.' (Which, by the way, you actually are a Wentz defender, so it's hard to see how you agree with that angle.) Brady wasn't the QB coach. And then the retort is 'anyone who had anything to do with coaching the offense should be fired, and Higgins having a better year than Strachan is proof.' Which is flatly ridiculous. 

There are plenty of ways to discuss the quality or effectiveness of the coaching staff and their decisions. These particular arguments are terrible. 

And I say this as someone who has been directly critical of the Colts coaching at times. It's not to defend the staff. It's just to say these are terrible, illogical arguments. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

He's the assistant QBs coach. Some teams don't even staff this position. It's a low level, developmental spot. Generally, this guy isn't going to have an impressive resume. Is this the guy you're using the judge the quality/experience level of the coaching staff?

I feel like you're arguing a point that wasn't really on the deck a few posts ago. Simply put, my question was why is Parks Frazier being hated on, and why would anyone think he's on deck to be the next WR coach? Now this is turning into a judgment on the entire coaching staff, which is a completely different discussion.

And of course, it always seems to come back to a way to blame Reich.

Other poster says 'Marcus Brady should be fired because he was the QB coach, and the QB was bad.' (Which, by the way, you actually are a Wentz defender, so it's hard to see how you agree with that angle.) Brady wasn't the QB coach. And then the retort is 'anyone who had anything to do with coaching the offense should be fired, and Higgins having a better year than Strachan is proof.' Which is flatly ridiculous. 

There are plenty of ways to discuss the quality or effectiveness of the coaching staff and their decisions. These particular arguments are terrible. 

And I say this as someone who has been directly critical of the Colts coaching at times. It's not to defend the staff. It's just to say these are terrible, illogical arguments. 

Like I've said, the Strachan/Higgins comment was a big miss. And I agree a lot of the logic we see is very faulty. 

On Reich, sorry, but he has overall onus of the team. Especially the O. So if things are working well, it all leads back to him. If things aren't working well, same thing. I've provided stats and logical narratives in my criticisms. If you have a problem with the stats or logic, fine, please say so. Instead of saying "you always find a way to blame Reich", perhaps you should point out stats or logic failures (Strachan/Higgins was not mine....  lol)... Or provide stats or logic that defends Reich, or casts him in a good light. On Frazier, I really don't care. But his trajectory does have the smell of a "friend of a friend" hire, followed by "personal assistant to HC" move, to promotion... might work, might not. Just seems like we could have had stronger candidate to begin with. But like you said, asst QB is not staffed by every team. But nevertheless, when the position does exist, it's a choice spot with key access. 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like I've said, the Strachan/Higgins comment was a big miss. And I agree a lot of the logic we see is very faulty. 

On Reich, sorry, but he has overall onus of the team. Especially the O. So if things are working well, it all leads back to him. If things aren't working well, same thing. I've provided stats and logical narratives in my criticisms. If you have a problem with the stats or logic, fine, please say so. Instead of saying "you always find a way to blame Reich", perhaps you should point out stats or logic failures (Strachan/Higgins was not mine....  lol)... Or provide stats or logic that defends Reich, or casts him in a good light. On Frazier, I really don't care. But his trajectory does have the smell of a "friend of a friend" hire, followed by "personal assistant to HC" move, to promotion... might work, might not. Just seems like we could have had stronger candidate to begin with. But like you said, asst QB is not staffed by every team. But nevertheless, when the position does exist, it's a choice spot with key access. 

Assistant QB coach is generally a young guy who is working his way up the ladder, when it's even staffed. It doesn't speak to the quality of the coaching staff, so saying 'his resume seems light' is off target. Even saying 'seems like a friend of a friend hire' is unreasonable. 

To the bolded, that's crap. I have no problem with discussing Reich's issues. I have a problem with Reich being blamed for everything. 

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

Assistant QB coach is generally a young guy who is working his way up the ladder, when it's even staffed. It doesn't speak to the quality of the coaching staff, so saying 'his resume seems light' is off target. Even saying 'seems like a friend of a friend hire' is unreasonable. 

But it actually was a recommendation from a friend. That's not necessarily a bad thing. 

And if you didn't know, Reich actually married Parks and his wife.. 

There's plenty of tid bits to assume there's a personal relationship.

If Parks turns out to be an up and comer, great. 

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

To the bolded, that's crap. I have no problem with discussing Reich's issues. I have a problem with Reich being blamed for everything. 

Like I've said, if you have specific issues with stats/logic used with things critical of Reich, happy to hear them. 

Archived