Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Off-Season Moves/What does this team need? / what should happen now (merge)

Mike Tahoe

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

(Cheifs)Orlando Brown Jr. could be our next LT and we could try to land S Marcus Williams(saints)to play FS. Letting Q walk would free up cash for guys like this to improve the roster as a whole...

LT Brown Jr.

LG Reed

C Kelly

RG Glowinski 

LT  Smith. Would be a great Oline still

Then we could sign a CB and FS and a decent DL guy to give Buckner and Paye a little help. I hope Tyquan Lewis comes back stronger and hungrier than ever...

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

(Cheifs)Orlando Brown Jr. could be our next LT and we could try to land S Marcus Williams(saints)to play FS. Letting Q walk would free up cash for guys like this to improve the roster as a whole...

Chiefs aren’t letting Brown go after just trading for him.  They’ll extend or franchise.  Colts missed the opportunity to trade for him already.  I’d be shocked if he’s an option

1 minute ago, Nate! said:

Chiefs aren’t letting Brown go after just trading for him.  They’ll extend or franchise.  Colts missed the opportunity to trade for him already.  I’d be shocked if he’s an option

I'm just saying we need to value the LT position more. Nelson is awesome but LG is still the 4th position of importance on the line. Protecting our QBs blindside trumps a all pro LG when we could plug in C.Reed at a fraction of Q price and get solid production there. It's like valuing a Kicker and cutting into the team cap for him. Q is amazing at a less important position. LT FS DE and WR help would help the overall performance of the team more...

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

I'm just saying we need to value the LT position more. Nelson is awesome but LG is still the 4th position of importance on the line. Protecting our QBs blindside trumps a all pro LG when we could plug in C.Reed at a fraction of Q price and get solid production there. It's like valuing a Kicker and cutting into the team cap for him. Q is amazing at a less important position. LT FS DE and WR help would help the overall performance of the team more...

Are we in the selling Jerseys business or winning championships business? I'm really starting to wonder if Jim cares or is just pretending.

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Are we in the selling Jerseys business or winning championships business? I'm really starting to wonder if Jim cares or is just pretending.

If I were you.   I'd go by a Nelson jersey and learn to love it.   Make him your favorite player.   Because he is going to be here at LG not LT for a long long time   Maybe set your sights on getting rid of Banogu.  Which is realistic 

Then.  like many on here have pointed out.  You won't be super disappointed 

Just now, ChuggaBeer said:

If I were you.   I'd go by a Nelson jersey and learn to love it.   Make him your favorite player.   Because he is going to be here at LG not LT for a long long time   Maybe set your sights on getting rid of Banogu.  Which is realistic 

Nelson or Leonard are going anywhere nor should they. If we make any kinds of trades you may see a Hines or Kelly involved and some draft picks for example is my guess. 

2 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Banogou going is a common sense no Brainer. You said the easiest thing to sound smart lol. If we keep Q it will handicap us. We will have to resign Pryor because he is young and cheap and hope he can be an every down LT. Or have to use our 2nd pick at LT and hope a rookie can get it done. We won't be able to sign Q and sign a healthy Vet LT without leaving our D and WRs and TE depleted... I no Nelson is one of the best Gs ever but G us easy to replace. We need our QBs blindside protected. Having Q didn't stop our pocket from collapsing and make us a good pass blocking oline...too much tunnel vision by Big Q ND fans...

19 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Banogou going is a common sense no Brainer. You said the easiest thing to sound smart lol. If we keep Q it will handicap us. We will have to resign Pryor because he is young and cheap and hope he can be an every down LT. Or have to use our 2nd pick at LT and hope a rookie can get it done. We won't be able to sign Q and sign a healthy Vet LT without leaving our D and WRs and TE depleted... I no Nelson is one of the best Gs ever but G us easy to replace. We need our QBs blindside protected. Having Q didn't stop our pocket from collapsing and make us a good pass blocking oline...too much tunnel vision by Big Q ND fans...

First We Are keeping Q.  No tunnel vision  

We aren't even close to the start of FA.   So this is all premature.  No one knows who will be available

I haven't given up on Fisher.  Look at the big picture.  He is coming off a season recovering from a terrible injury.  

Protecting the blind side has A LOT to do with the QB too.   

Hold the ball too long?  He will get pressured  Quick release? Demoralizes the opponents pass rush because they cant get to the QB.

35 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

We aren't even close to the start of FA.   So this is all premature.  No one knows who will be available

I haven't given up on Fisher.  Look at the big picture.  He is coming off a season recovering from a terrible injury.  

Hold the ball too long?  He will get pressured  Quick release? Demoralizes the opponents pass rush because they cant get to the QB.

Fisher can't pass block anymore but can run block he is toast as a LT. The Jax game proved he can't be trusted. CW was blindsided because of Fisher all season. Pryor can do better and will be our only cheap option at LT after signing Q. If we sign a big name LT and Nelson we won't be able to get secondary help we desperately need. Rhodes is garbage and we need a true FS.

36 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I agree Carson doesn't get rid of the ball Quick. So if we keep him we have to get a solid LT. If we keep Q and use Pryor as a LT we need a smarter quicker release QB.

3 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

with nelsons back and ankle problems he may not play long, retire like luck instead

At this point we're beating a dead horse. This team has holes that are not going to be fixed in one off-season. We can improve in some aspects but this team has holes that we simply don't have the draft capital or the cap space to cover.

Cover 2 without a ball hawk FS. Cover 2 without a dominant pass rusher. This usually isn't fixed in FA. We have a generational talent at one of the worst positions to have one on our line due a huge payday. Absolutely zero true number one receiver talent in the WR room. Aging or underperforming TE's.

I hate to be that guy that is just a downer. I hate it. But we need way more help than just a QB.

This is going to be unpopular but with all that stated there is absolutely no way I'm paying a Q LT money. He wants the money he moves to LT and we slide Pryor to guard. I believe the line would perform to a much better standard. We are not in a position to pay a non premium position the type of money he's going to command. Yes I know they've already said they're not going to do that. 

Fire Flus and hire Vic Fangio

Get WR Mckenzie from the bills

Get Mariota as QB competition for Wentz

Try Fisher another year at a reduced salary

Trade Kelly for a 2nd round pick

Need to sign a no. 1 WR  and either Ertz or OJ Howard from Tampa

Need to draft some good DB's

Need to hire a good offensive play caller

18 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Build up every position but QB, then tank for Arch Manning lol...

That would be a dream...

But I could see the Mannnigs pulling another Eli/Chargers move, saying no thanks to Indy due to the Peyton treatment.

If the Mannings end up as part owners of Denver, Arch's future might get real interesting. 

Am trying to figure out how we got into this groupthink that the best way -- scratch that -- the only way to improve your team is to trade away your best players for draft picks.  Did we all learn the wrong lesson from the Great Herschel Walker trade?

Let me bring up a reminder of a different trade.  1990.  The Colts wanted to improve over the performance of QB Jack Trudeau.  On the table -- Jeff George.  Local boy who went to Illinois, and would probably be the 1st pick overall.

The Colts packaged their own 1st round pick (#5 overall), the following year's 1st round pick, their 1989 1st round rookie WR Andre Rison (who had just caught 52 passes for 820 yards and 2 TD's), and their all pro LT Chris Hinton into a trade for Atlanta's #1 overall pick, and took Jeff George.

Yuck.  It didn't go well.

I'll offer a humble suggestion:  Let's build on what we have, rather than trade away what we have.

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Am trying to figure out how we got into this groupthink that the best way -- scratch that -- the only way to improve your team is to trade away your best players for draft picks.  Did we all learn the wrong lesson from the Great Herschel Walker trade?

Let me bring up a reminder of a different trade.  1990.  The Colts wanted to improve over the performance of QB Jack Trudeau.  On the table -- Jeff George.  Local boy who went to Illinois, and would probably be the 1st pick overall.

The Colts packaged their own 1st round pick (#5 overall), the following year's 1st round pick, their 1989 1st round rookie WR Andre Rison (who had just caught 52 passes for 820 yards and 2 TD's), and their all pro LT Chris Hinton into a trade for Atlanta's #1 overall pick, and took Jeff George.

I'll offer a humble suggestion:  Let's build on what we have, rather than trade away what we have.

There is some places this has worked. Bills made playoffs then that draft they moved up for Allen. They traded players and picks. They probably figured it would take a couple years for Allen to develop and they could replace those guys by the time they were ready to contend. I think they traded a center and Sammy Watkins was part of that deal. They took a short term setback to get where they needed to be long term. But I would never do this for a vet QB. Only way I am doing this is if it’s for someone in the draft.

5 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Groupthink - none of us is as dumb as all of us.

Take this with a grain of salt but I thought it was worth a mention. In a podcast last week, Lance Zierlein, who is personal friends with Ballard was asked if he thought more than 3 QBs will be drafted in the 1st round. He started listing potential teams to go for QB... he went "Deshaun Watson will move, so that will take one of the positions away, Big Ben is gone... I think Wentz all of a sudden could catch competition sooner than we thought. I think when it's said and done, 3 will be the number."

So yeah, no idea if he has any inside knowledge, no idea if he has talked to Ballard and even more whether Ballard has shared something with him. So yeah... take it for whatever it's worth. 

(question starts at 21:45)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/2022-nfl-draft-brugler-zierlein-on-the-talent-at-the/id1528622068?i=1000548322875 

On 1/20/2022 at 2:18 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Fisher can't pass block anymore but can run block he is toast as a LT. The Jax game proved he can't be trusted. CW was blindsided because of Fisher all season. Pryor can do better and will be our only cheap option at LT after signing Q. If we sign a big name LT and Nelson we won't be able to get secondary help we desperately need. Rhodes is garbage and we need a true FS.

Fisher did have problems, but he did come back early from an injury that takes awhile to heal fully

Some people take 2 years to get back their mobility (some people never make it back)

Its a tough call...... what do you do THIS YEAR at LT?

Do we just hand the position to Pryor? Do we just resign Fisher?

Do we spend 15-18M to get the LT of the future in FA? 

The easy thing is to just spin another year on Fisher (I'm guessing that's 8M) and resign Pryor (3-4M) and HOPE that

one or the other shines and can play LT.

Its a risky play. Maybe they do that AND draft a possible LT to develop for the future 

This is the type of gut wrenching decision that keep GMs up at night

It will be interesting to see which way CB goes

On 1/21/2022 at 11:59 AM, John Hammonds said:

i completely agree! Where did Washington get by signing high priced free agents or trading for a high draft pick (rg3). 

all the experts here saying who they would have drafted or signed, AFTER they know how they played for a year. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Take this with a grain of salt but I thought it was worth a mention. In a podcast last week, Lance Zierlein, who is personal friends with Ballard was asked if he thought more than 3 QBs will be drafted in the 1st round. He started listing potential teams to go for QB... he went "Deshaun Watson will move, so that will take one of the positions away, Big Ben is gone... I think Wentz all of a sudden could catch competition sooner than we thought. I think when it's said and done, 3 will be the number."

So yeah, no idea if he has any inside knowledge, no idea if he has talked to Ballard and even more whether Ballard has shared something with him. So yeah... take it for whatever it's worth. 

(question starts at 21:45)

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/2022-nfl-draft-brugler-zierlein-on-the-talent-at-the/id1528622068?i=1000548322875 

Is he saying Wentz would still be the QB but could have someone we draft as backup.

34 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Is he saying Wentz would still be the QB but could have someone we draft as backup.

I hope not. I don’t want to draft another project QB. Especially if it involves us having to use this year’s 2nd & another 2nd or 3rd round pick to move up. 

We either need to trade for one of the few elite QB’s available or load up on weapons & fix LT for Wentz

4 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It’s so depressing watching yesterday and how far away colts are. From QB, WR, to pass rush.

I don't know, I'm disappointed about not being in the playoffs but another viewpoint......

Of the playoff teams

We beat up the 49ers

We beat up the Bills

We beat the Cardinals

We narrowly lost to the Raiders 

We narrowly lost to the Titans

We narrowly lost to the Bucs

We narrowly lost to the Rams

Against the current group of playoff teams, we did pretty dang well

All of the losses to playoff teams, could be tied back to a change in a single play

This team is MUCH closer than people think

We played poorly against less capable teams

- Get a DE that can rush the passer

- Get a FS

- Get a WR that can stretch a defense

- Get a TE that can stretch a defense

- Carson improves even a BIT

We will be ok

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Fisher did have problems, but he did come back early from an injury that takes awhile to heal fully

Some people take 2 years to get back their mobility (some people never make it back)

Its a tough call...... what do you do THIS YEAR at LT?

Do we just hand the position to Pryor? Do we just resign Fisher?

Do we spend 15-18M to get the LT of the future in FA? 

The easy thing is to just spin another year on Fisher (I'm guessing that's 8M) and resign Pryor (3-4M) and HOPE that

one or the other shines and can play LT.

Its a risky play. Maybe they do that AND draft a possible LT to develop for the future 

This is the type of gut wrenching decision that keep GMs up at night

It will be interesting to see which way CB goes

We don't have two years to wait on an aging LT how will cost more than he is worth...we can't rehab the whole nfl. Lol

Archived