Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Off-Season Moves/What does this team need? / what should happen now (merge)

Mike Tahoe

After watching this team get handled in every aspect of the game in Jacksonville, I am not convinced that this team, as it stands, can become a championship team.  

I hate to say it but I feel like Wentz has regressed in both his ability and decision making.  Losing next years 1st rounder is going to hurt.

What changes do you think this team needs to make to become a championship caliber team?

I may be in the minority, but this what I think the team needs to do:

- New QB Carson takes way too long in the pocket and makes way too many bone headed decisions.  Not to mention, his accuracy is suspect at times as well. His greatest strength is probably his athleticism, but I feel like that is already on the decline

- A true no. 1 WR. Pittman is a quality receiver but he is not a true game changer that defenses need to game plan against.  We need someone who get open often and be a go to threat at all times.

- Defense:  without a pass rush this defense can make too many mediocre QBs look like Joe Montana.  If you do not have a strong four man rush the cover 2 will always be a liability.

I love this team and will always be a fan, but I just think we are a few pieces away still.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New starting QB

New DC

Perhaps new HC

Ballard to do some serious self evaluation.

Irsay to terminate some contracts (players and/or coaches)

Players to actually give a damn and not choke away the playoffs in consecutive weeks, including in a game against a 2-14 team with a historically bad offense.

New Offensive play caller and a DC that doesn't play zone/barely ever blitz the majority of the time. 

Wentz to learn from Tom House. 

Also, literally anyone that can rush the passer. 

Jags have backup Center and LT and Lawrence still had all day to throw. Pass rush on this team is pathetic. Esp when Buckner is getting double teamed 99% of the time and he's our leader in sacks with 7. 

8 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

We need a legit slot wr , and TE. The fisher signing has blown up in our face. Every person we gave and extension regressed except Leonard. Moore , Hines , Braden etc… we have a lot of work to do this off season 

Braden Smith is our highest graded lineman. 

9 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

They need leadership that is willing to admit when they’ve made a mistake and make the required changes. Take that how you will because there are multiple (repeated) mistakes. 

agreed

Ok we should admit our mistakes, Move on from fisher, kelly & Pascal. Can’t trust Campbell to be healthy TY is probably gonna retire we need to sign a 1 or 2 type Wr. Doyle doesn’t have and speed left might be time to move on. Defense we need to get a safety that can run , Kenny might need to get out of the nickel and play safety since he is a good tackler but can’t cover at this point just doesn’t have the vertical speed to match slot wrs. Willis is not the answer at safety 

9 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

New Offensive play caller and a DC that doesn't play zone/barely ever blitz the majority of the time. 

Jags have backup Center and LT and Lawrence still had all day to throw. Pass rush on this team is pathetic. Esp when Buckner is getting double teamed 99% of the time and he's our leader in sacks with 7. 

our two rookies should be backups. we need a passrush

- New HC:  I’ve been saying I do not like Reich playcalling all season and I’ve gotten crap for it.  This game shows what I’ve been saying all year about him.  

- Pass Rushing Stud: I think Paye  is going to be good and dayo will be ok. But we need a bonafide rusher.  Losing houston was bad and it shows

- New DC:  I’m tired of the cover 2 with no blitzing.  It doesn’t help us at all.  I think this defense has the talent to be good, but it’s the playcalling.

- Playmaking WR:  outside of mpj, this receiving core is trash.  PC is supposed to be our playmaker and he can barely stay on the field.

- New QB:  Carson wentz is not it.  I’m sorry.  

- Revamped Playcalling:  our offense is predictable.  We don’t run the no huddle.  We don’t use our weapons like Hines.  Our run plays are literally just up the gut.

it just boggles my mind that weeks ago we almost shut out the bills and blew them out.  What happened?  The run stopped bailing out Carson. 

10 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Buckner gets double #2 after Arron Donald I for the the stat it was like 87 percent of the time lol or could have be 77 

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

- New HC:  I’ve been saying I do not like Reich playcalling all season and I’ve gotten crap for it.  This game shows what I’ve been saying all year about him.  

- Pass Rushing Stud: I think Paye  is going to be good and dayo will be ok. But we need a bonafide rusher.  Losing houston was bad and it shows

- New DC:  I’m tired of the cover 2 with no blitzing.  It doesn’t help us at all.  I think this defense has the talent to be good, but it’s the playcalling.

- Playmaking WR:  outside of mpj, this receiving core is trash.  PC is supposed to be our playmaker and he can barely stay on the field.

- New QB:  Carson wentz is not it.  I’m sorry.  

- Revamped Playcalling:  our offense is predictable.  We don’t run the no huddle.  We don’t use our weapons like Hines.  Our run plays are literally just up the gut.

can we let Carson go after this season or will it hurt our cap space too much

Better QB play and coaching consistency . Maybe what they say about red haired QBs like Andy Dalton is true, they have never been to a SB, lol :) 

The Colts don’t deserve to be in the playoffs. They have no heart, hate to say it the Steelers and Patriots have it in spades. 

Just now, BlackTiger said:

the hit is 15 million if they cut him in the offseason.  next year its zero 

ok thanks. maybe he can be fix i wa starting to become a believer in him but last week and today IDK now. last week i could understand but no reasons for this week

1. QB - Wentz is not the guy. But we won't move on from him now and we don't have a 1st round pick so likely he stays. Ooops. 

2. LT - Fisher has been disaster in pass-pro. I'd like somehting better and I'd like a long-term solution there. But again - no idea if we have the high pick that's usually needed for starting LT in the draft. Oops. 

3. Weapons - both WR and TE. 

4. Pass-rush

5. SAFETIES... multiple! 

6. Cornerbacks

• Nadine changed the title to Off-Season Moves/What does this team need? (merge)

If QB goes, coach needs to go with him and vice versa. Frank is the sole reason Carson is here. Ballard even said he made the move because Frank was practically begging for him. New Coach, QB, D coordinator, and add some CB's and WR. All of those holes tells me this team is a few years away from actually being something

A new head coach first and foremost. He has consistently not prepared this team on numerous occasions, especially early in seasons. Carson deserves a lot of blame also for the complete choke job to miss out in the playoffs, but he still has a lot of talent, and has played well for much of the season, up until these disastrous last few weeks that is.

Archived