Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Off-Season Moves/What does this team need? / what should happen now (merge)

Mike Tahoe

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

The colts don’t have money or draft picks for either. They aren’t bringing a guy like Watson in.

I have no doubt they are mad inside the organization tonight like Jason says. I doubt it’s to the level they are cutting Wentz or moving on next season.

I wouldn't be so quick to brush it off as nothing and assume we dont have the resources. Other GM's around the league have done more with less. 

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Lmao. They are not doing that. They are done doing that. It’s wentz or draft now. They are done trying to plug the hole with vets. Just listen to Irsay in the off season. He wants to draft a guy bad.

I doubt Baker is going anywhere. 

There is no quarterback in this draft who is ready to start as a rookie and be Mac Jones.   It’s a bad class of quarterbacks.  Irsay will not order Ballard to draft one.  

It’s either Wentz for one more year, or sign a free agent or make a modest trade. 

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The colts don’t have money or draft picks for either. They aren’t bringing a guy like Watson in.

I have no doubt they are mad inside the organization tonight like Jason says. I doubt it’s to the level they are cutting Wentz or moving on next season.

Rams made a ton of moves with even less than we have. 

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Jimmy G lol. If you think he can suceee here with the lack of talent you are wrong. SF has the talent around him to suceed. 

Winston doesn’t solve anything because we don’t have downfield threats. He probably isn’t going to play a quick passing offense very well. 

The longer they keep recycling QB and not just going after the guy in the draft nothing will be fixed id Wentz doesn’t pan out.

I think it’s pretty clear the talent is going to get a face lift as well regardless of who the QB is next year.  So I don’t think you can expect the same guys to be back next year.

As for the draft how do you get one?  You know this is a weak class, you know QBs are always over drafted so you’d probably have to trade into the top 15 to get one and you have no first round pick.  You MIGHT be able to package something like Wentz, the second rounder, and some future picks, probably at least one one to go up and get a guy.  However, you had better be right and with this weak of a class I don’t think you do that.  

That’s why I think if they do move on from Wentz they will go with a vet and use their picks to get another weapon or two.  

With that said I still think the most likely scenario is they bring Wentz and Frank back one more year.  Give them a full off-season together and try to upgrade the talent around Wentz knowing they have an off ramp at the end of next season if it doesn’t work and then they will be in better position to go all in on a QB in the draft if they have too.  

The colts don’t do that and you should know that by now. Stafford has looked bad in a lot of moments. It’s not clear if that move will pay off yet.

I know they don’t. I’m just making a point that if Irsay and Ballard truly wanted to make some moves happen, they could and would. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We’re about to gain $26 million as the Salary Cap so I don’t see us eating the $15 million dollar dead cap hit.   

Plus….  Who is trading for Carson Wentz as he comes off this epic collapse?   Selling when value is low is rarely a good idea.   

After 2022, there is zero dead cap damage.   I see us riding out the storm for another year.  Sometimes there are no good choices and you have to pick the least bad option.   I think one more year of CE is the least bad option. 

Yeah, this is where we hope knee jerk reactions stay where they belong..us fans, and that's fine. It makes zero sense to get rid of Wentz. Cap wise or value wise getting done thing in return. And why would we kill ourselves for a big name vet that will cost a fortune.

This is also not fantasy football where you find someone that will give you a star qb for 5 scrubs.

We are where we are. Ride out Wentz for another year (who knows, with a full camp...). Hopefully Ballard drafts wisely and finds more Reeds, Pryors, etc.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There is no quarterback in this draft who is ready to start as a rookie and be Mac Jones.   It’s a bad class of quarterbacks.  Irsay will not order Ballard to draft one.  

It’s either Wentz for one more year, or sign a free agent or make a modest trade. 

Signing a FA as another band aid would be a huge failure. There also is no one to trade for especially when your short of a first round pick and have a lot of holes to fill.

9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Actually with the cap going up next year and guys like Fisher and Hilton having only one year deals the Colts are decent shape with the cap.  No they can’t go sign Rodgers, Adams, and a franchise left tackle but they will have money to make some moves if they want to.

9 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Rodgers wouldn’t come to the Colts anyways.  He will be in GB, Denver, SF , or LV

Ridding themselves of Doyle’s contract by retirement or releasing him would be good for some cap space. 

I imagine Wentz will be back but Frank had to lose credibility with Ballard on the subject. If Ballard wants him gone bad enough he will be gone. 

I just don’t see how Ballard doesn’t make a change. Ballard believes we have a SB roster. If he risks another year with Wentz, he may be fired too. 

It’s not like he is dropping back & going through progressions, & slightly missing receivers. He is looking at one or two guys, then tucking the ball to run. He is too stubborn. I am saying this & I like the guy a lot. 

Winston & Wilson would be my top choices for vets. 

I think Rodgers stays in GB. Miami or the Eagles get Watson (if he is cleared).

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I just don’t see how Ballard doesn’t make a change. Ballard believes we have a SB roster. If he risks another year with Wentz, he may be fired too. 

It’s not like he is dropping back & going through progressions, & slightly missing receivers. He is looking at one or two guys, then tucking the ball to run. He is too stubborn. I am saying this & I like the guy a lot. 

Even if Watson is cleared there is no way on earth the Texans even think about a trade with the Colts for him.  So like you said he’s not going to be an option.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think it’s pretty clear the talent is going to get a face lift as well regardless of who the QB is next year.  So I don’t think you can expect the same guys to be back next year.

As for the draft how do you get one?  You know this is a weak class, you know QBs are always over drafted so you’d probably have to trade into the top 15 to get one and you have no first round pick.  You MIGHT be able to package something like Wentz, the second rounder, and some future picks, probably at least one one to go up and get a guy.  However, you had better be right and with this weak of a class I don’t think you do that.  

That’s why I think if they do move on from Wentz they will go with a vet and use their picks to get another weapon or two.  

With that said I still think the most likely scenario is they bring Wentz and Frank back one more year.  Give them a full off-season together and try to upgrade the talent around Wentz knowing they have an off ramp at the end of next season if it doesn’t work and then they will be in better position to go all in on a QB in the draft if they have too.  

They aren’t going to move on with another Bridge QB. Yes you are right the QB class is bad. The only thing colts really can do is add some talent at WR and TE and see how next season goes. Did the pass rush too. Fire some assistants. Then if it fails next season it’s on Wentz and he should be gone.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Actually with the cap going up next year and guys like Fisher and Hilton having only one year deals the Colts are decent shape with the cap.  No they can’t go sign Rodgers, Adams, and a franchise left tackle but they will have money to make some moves if they want to.

We have around 60 million. That doesn’t even count Fisher or Hilton because they are FA. But yea they have the money to bring in some skill players. The question is will Ballard do it? 

There will be a lot of changes because we have a lot of FA. 

1 hour ago, bestQBever said:

I was against it last offseason and at the start of this year. Now it sounds like a good idea. I think that's because of Chris Reed. He is good enough to be our starting LG. Our best O line is Q, Reed, Kelly, ...glow..., Smith

Nelson-Reed would have been better than Davenport-Nelson to start the season. Tough to do when Q was out preseason though.  If they’re going to pay him LT money then it is at least a discussion worth having.  Saying goodbye to Glow and Fisher, signing Reed for less money and bringing in Armstead would shore up LT quite nice though. 

They aren’t going to move on with another Bridge QB. Yes you are right the QB class is bad. The only thing colts really can do is add some talent at WR and TE and see how next season goes. Did the pass rush too. Fire some assistants. Then if it fails next season it’s on Wentz and he should be gone.

They will if they think the guy they can get is better than Wentz and they can get him at a reasonable price.  There are several things they can do you just don’t like them.  The Colts may decide they don’t like them either.  We just don’t know yet.  I still think the most likely scenario is one more year of Wentz but after how the last two games went I am not ruling anything out.

4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Who is he getting? Where is the QB tree? They don’t have money Wilson and it does nothing to solve the long term problem.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

They will if they think the guy they can get is better than Wentz and they can get him at a reasonable price.  There are several things they can do you just don’t like them.  The Colts may decide they don’t like them either.  We just don’t know yet.  I still think the most likely scenario is one more year of Wentz but after how the last two games went I am not ruling anything out.

There are no guys your going to go pluck out of FA that are better. There isn’t some magical QB tree. Hell there isn’t even 32 starting QB. I will say this if they went after another vet or bridge guy and cut wentz I am done with this team.  I am tired of the new QB every year. 

Ballard  has also weakened other party’s of this team. 

We have around 60 million. That doesn’t even count Fisher or Hilton because they are FA. But yea they have the money to bring in some skill players. The question is will Ballard do it? 

There will be a lot of changes because we have a lot of FA. 

The roughly $56 million we currently have to spend does include contracts coming off the books.   So it includes players like Fisher and Hilton who both signed one year deals.  

We could restructure some contracts to create more salary cap space, but I suspect many plans were blown up today. 

31 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Wentz and Brissett need everything to be perfect to win you football games

I sooooo disagree. Wentz needs every bit of help. We woulda won with brisket ( my pet name) JB is a far superior QB than Wentz the chocker. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The roughly $56 million we currently have to spend does include contracts coming off the books.   So it includes players like Fisher and Hilton who both signed one year deals.  

We could restructure some contracts to create more salary cap space, but I suspect many plans were blown up today. 

I believe that is for next year  so it does not include anyone who are  FA now.

Dotle could give us some extra cap space.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

There are no guys your going to go pluck out of FA that are better. There isn’t some magical QB tree. Hell there isn’t even 32 starting QB.

You don’t know that yet.  I’ve also said if they move on from Wentz it would likely have to be of trade, not that doesn’t mean a Stafford like trade it would probably be a middle of the pack QB you aren’t going to like very much.  You are making conclusions before you even know what’s going to be available.  Lets remember this time last year everyone and their mother was saying no way the Eagles can afford to trade or release Wentz because of his contract yet it happened.  

Again, I still stand by I think Wentz will be the QB here next year.  Do I think that’s guaranteed based on how the last two games went?  No I don’t.  That’s why I am not going to rule out other options until we know what they are.  That’s all I am saying is while it’s the most likely scenario that Wentz is back I don’t think it’s set in stone yet.  

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There are no guys your going to go pluck out of FA that are better. There isn’t some magical QB tree. Hell there isn’t even 32 starting QB. I will say this if they went after another vet or bridge guy and cut wentz I am done with this team.  I am tired of the new QB every year. 

Ballard  has also weakened other party’s of this team. 

That’s crazy. Ballard is the ONLY good thing we got. I truly think he got forced in Wentz. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They called raiders to see if he was available and they said no. I agree he would of fit Reich’s offense really well. He always takes what the defense gives him.

That was also before the Raiders made a coaching change.  If they bring Harbaugh in like the rumors are saying Harbaugh may very well want his own QB.  That’s why I keep saying we don’t know what’s going to be out there yet.

We still need a LT. Ballard thought he was so smart not taking decent one in the draft and signing an injured Eric Fisher instead. 

We still need receivers. Ballard thought he was so prudent letting all the top free agent wideouts sign else where and drafting a project like Strachan and crossing his fingers that Paris Campbell can stay healthy. T.Y. while a fan favorite doesn’t contribute much anymore. He shouldn’t be back next season. 

We still need pass rushers because our genius GM can’t seem to get that right in the draft.  Kwity and Odengbo didn’t generate the consistent pressure that we really need this year.  Colts still can’t get to the quarterback often enough. 

We need a better QB but are stuck with Wentz for another year at least. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That was also before the Raiders made a coaching change.  If they bring Harbaugh in like the rumors are saying Harbaugh may very well want his own QB.  That’s why I keep saying we don’t know what’s going to be out there yet.

Maybe but when you already have a franchise QB that usually makes the job more attractive. Changing a QB when you have the guy is not smart. Carr is a very good leader and lead them perfect through all the turmoil.

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We still need a LT. Ballard thought he was so smart not taking decent one in the draft and signing an injured Eric Fisher instead. 

We still need receivers. Ballard thought he was so prudent letting all the top free agent wideouts sign else where and drafting a project like Strachan and crossing his fingers that Paris Campbell can stay healthy. 

We still need pass rushers because our genius GM can’t seem to get that right in the draft.  Kwity and Odengbo didn’t generate the consistent pressure that we really need this year.  Colts still can’t get to the quarterback often enough. 

Okay. What starting-caliber LT would you have taken in the draft?

What top free agent WR would you have signed? 

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You don’t know that yet.  I’ve also said if they move on from Wentz it would likely have to be of trade, not that doesn’t mean a Stafford like trade it would probably be a middle of the pack QB you aren’t going to like very much.  You are making conclusions before you even know what’s going to be available.  Lets remember this time last year everyone and their mother was saying no way the Eagles can afford to trade or release Wentz because of his contract yet it happened.  

Again, I still stand by I think Wentz will be the QB here next year.  Do I think that’s guaranteed based on how the last two games went?  No I don’t.  That’s why I am not going to rule out other options until we know what they are.  That’s all I am saying is while it’s the most likely scenario that Wentz is back I don’t think it’s set in stone yet.  

There aren’t even 32 starting QB. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

We still need receivers. Ballard thought he was so prudent letting all the top free agent wideouts sign else where and drafting a project like Strachan and crossing his fingers that Paris Campbell can stay healthy. 

Dear Gawd.  Ballard didn’t not draft a LT in the first round because he thought he was so smart.  He drafted the best player on his board who slipped and also filled the other major need last off-season.   By the way Paye finished a very good rookie season.  Yes he still needs to get his sack numbers up but all year long he was the one end that regularly got pressure.  Had Ballard taken a LT in the first round I think you make this same post expect replace LT with end.  

As for the second round there was a huge rush on tackles before the Colts could pick there wasn’t a second round worthy one there so he added Dayo who we all knew was coming off a major injury and probably wouldn’t be a factor until next year even if he played this year.  

Yes the Colts need WRs.  The Colts are up against with the cap for this year so what big name WR should he have gone and gotten and how would they have payed for it? They had no money to pay for it.  They will have some money this off-season so maybe he does go get someone this off-season.  

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Maybe but when you already have a franchise QB that usually makes the job more attractive. Changing a QB when you have the guy is not smart. Carr is a very good leader and lead them perfect through all the turmoil.

And the Raiders may stick with him because of that.  Again, we just don’t know yet.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The cap space your seeing does not include Fisher or Hilton. They are FA. That is the expected cap space for 22.

No.   False.   It does include them.

It includes everyone who are coming off the books.  The Cokts have about two dozen players coming off the books.   Fisher and Hilton are just two of them. 

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Crying about missing playoffs isn’t going to do anything. Now it’s time for Ballard to put up or shut up. What is he going to do to fix this team. The ball is in his court now: what’s he going to do about it. Instead of crying let’s see what happens in the month of March and April.

Don’t think Ballard does much. We bring back about the same team next year

Try Sam Ehlinger at QB, he's got a year now under his belt, I think he'll be starting next season when they see him in preseason this year out performing Wentz.  But again, with Reich still at the helm he won't let his ego get crushed by not admitting he failed in begging Ballard to bring Wentz to Indy....So another mediocre year and not making the playoffs if Wentz is still our QB...

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There aren’t even 32 starting QB. 

No there aren’t and you can make an argument the Colts don’t have a starting QB based on how the last two games went so yes you check the options and see what’s out there at least.  It doesn’t mean you decide tonight Wentz must go we have to get a QB.  That’s not what the Colts will do.  They will look at what’s out there decide if they think it’s better than what they have first of all, which they may very well decide it’s not, and then if they do think a guy is better look at the cost which again may make them say too rich for our blood.  Only if both of those things check will they make a move.  

Right now I don’t see an option that makes me go yes please do that, unless a guy like Carr becomes available via trade, which is why I keep saying I think Wentz is back next year.  However, it’s not like Wentz is Manning or Luck where you go we are set here we have exactly what we need at the QB spot.  You keep your options open and just wait and see what becomes available which we don’t know yet.  We also don’t know how Irsay and Ballard really feel about Wentz.  Yes I know what the one guy tweeted tonight but that’s also coming off of two very bad outings and in the immediate aftermath of them.  I’d be shocked if anyone in the Colts organization is happy right now I expect them all to be mad.  However, when given a chance to let the emotion be taken out of it and have conversations and review film opinions may change one way or another.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No there aren’t and you can make an argument the Colts don’t have a starting QB based on how the last two games went so yes you check the options and see what’s out there at least.  It doesn’t mean you decide tonight Wentz must go we have to get a QB.  That’s not what the Colts will do.  They will look at what’s out there decide if they think it’s better than what they have first of all, which they may very well decide it’s not, and then if they do think a guy is better look at the cost which again may make them say too rich for our blood.  Only if both of those things check will they make a move.  

Right now I don’t see an option that makes me go yes please do that, unless a guy like Carr becomes available via trade, which is why I keep saying I think Wentz is back next year.  However, it’s not like Wentz is Manning or Luck where you go we are set here we have exactly what we need at the QB spot.  You keep your options open and just wait and see what becomes available which we don’t know yet.  We also don’t know how Irsay and Ballard really feel about Wentz.  Yes I know what the one guy tweeted tonight but that’s also coming off of two very bad outings and in the immediate aftermath of them.  I’d be shocked if anyone in the Colts organization is happy right now I expect them all to be mad.  However, when given a chance to let the emotion be taken out of it and have conversations and review film opinions may change one way or another.  

Carr I believe is close to end of his deal. He is expensive. Why would raiders change QB when they have a franchise guy. Their interim coach may end up keeping that job.

Yea that’s why I take what Jason said with a grain of salt. Everyone will be mad right after a game. That’s why Reich never talks about players performances until next day and he can watch film and cool down.

I will say it again if they go out and cut Wentz and get another damn bridge QB instead of drafting I am done. I am not going to keep following a team with no damn future at QB. Its getting old and tiring. I will find something better to do with my time or find a team that knows what they are doing.

Archived