Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Off-Season Moves/What does this team need? / what should happen now (merge)

Mike Tahoe

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how about play INSPIRED football

i don't care if guys are injured.... you go out and play the type of defense that has throttled Lawrence and the Jags all season that other teams have played

they made the Colts offense look putrid and they were missing guys all over but they the correct type of defense to stop the run and pressure Wentz knowing he's not very good and they 

also.... in small stretches you could just tell the refs didn't care at all about the Jags getting away with holds... roughing the kicker... anything and everything to help the Colts chances of winning go down

Big ben in one last playoff game is good for the ratings next week.... think they win with a field goal here in a couple minutes 

Fire Reich. We need a coach that inspires discipline not just some rah-rah sideline cheerleader. How do you go into two straight halftime breaks, down in playoff clinching games, and come out colder than you started. 

Tired of watching this team fold so easily. 

4 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Ballard knew

we needed CB’s too. 

We needed alot of things.  Which is why his head should be on the chopping block.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Ballard should be like our old GM, draft no O.Line which ended Andrew's career and trade for Trent. That was awesome wasn't it haha 

Yeah.  That's what i'm suggesting.

56 minutes ago, James said:

New starting QB

New DC

Perhaps new HC

Ballard to do some serious self evaluation.

Irsay to terminate some contracts (players and/or coaches)

Players to actually give a damn and not choke away the playoffs in consecutive weeks, including in a game against a 2-14 team with a historically bad offense.

Perfect... you are hired... 100% agree

I think changes need to be made but I honestly doubt anything will change. There will be a lot of deflection from Reich and Ballard and nothing will happen.

This is the least excited I have been for a Colts off-season, ever - no 1st round pick and no cap space to deal with the issues the team has.

Unless something drastic unexpectedly happens this off-season next season will be copy/paste of this one and all we can do is hope we man up and win the essentials games to make the playoffs.

There will be a better discussion of this when the emotions settle down, but we really have not gotten much production from some of the mid level players taking up cap space.  Whether retirement or other means, these cap spaces have to be thought about:

Grover

Kelly

Hines

TY

Doyle

Fisher 

Wentz is 22 miliion, but that's about the right price for a top 15 top 10 QB.

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think changes need to be made but I honestly doubt anything will change. There will be a lot of deflection from Reich and Ballard and nothing will happen.

This is the least excited I have been for a Colts off-season, ever - no 1st round pick and no cap space to deal with the issues the team has.

Unless something drastic unexpectedly happens this off-season next season will be copy/paste of this one and all we can do is hope we man up and win the essentials games to make the playoffs.

I'd agree that incremental change won't be enough. The first place I would look is the coaching staff. They are the biggest unknown (other than good-guy hype), We'll see how Ballard and Irsay respond to this season.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There will be a better discussion of this when the emotions settle down, but we really have not gotten much production from some of the mid level players taking up cap space.  Whether retirement or other means, these cap spaces have to be thought about:

Grover

Kelly

Hines

TY

Doyle

Fisher 

Wentz is 22 miliion, but that's about the right price for a top 15 top 10 QB.

Top 10 quarterback, that’s laughable. Everyone needs to take off the blue shaded glasses and realize wentz is a bottom lvl QB. I thought maybe some of it was the wr corp but after the last three weeks, it’s on him. He’s not accurate Abe’s erratic with the ball. 

26 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Most concerning is the fact that we need elite players at the positions that are hardest to fill: Edge rusher, shutdown CB, WR, QB. And there’s a lack of future draft picks. Chris Ballard suffers from Smartest Guy in the Syndrome. 

ballard has made a mess with his draft method, he gets out drafted each season

8 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Top 10 quarterback, that’s laughable. Everyone needs to take off the blue shaded glasses and realize wentz is a bottom lvl QB. I thought maybe some of it was the wr corp but after the last three weeks, it’s on him. He’s not accurate Abe’s erratic with the ball. 

At least he's better than Fields and Hurts.  Probably Lamar too, considering his replacement isn't much of a dropoff throwing wise.  Mayfield?  Garrapolo?  Lance?  Love?  Ben at this point? Daniel Jones?  Hienke?  Goff? There are a lot of average QBs in the NFL.

For most of the season Wentz looked and ranked like a Top 10 QB.  He probably looks worse after these past two games.

Is there a QB for a non-playoff team this year that is clearly better?

I think we have to start by getting a new starting LT and finding a high quality WR. That before anything.

Wentz is going to be the starting QB next year, whether people like it or not, there are not other realistic alternatives.

We need more help too at pass rusher, corner, safety, and more recieving options for sure.

But we've got to fix LT and get a good WR opposite Pittman in the building next offseason.

Wentz isn't the guy, but we have no choice but to work around that next year and then we can cut him in 2023. This team has to keep building and moving forward. The target still needs to make the playoffs next year. 

What's a bummer is no matter what answer you give to the question, if might not happen next year. We have no first round pick and I would be surprised if Wentz or any coaches go anywhere. We will need to hope that we can develop better next year and that Ballard can work his magic once again. For all the rightful frustration we all have right now, we are a team that has a lot of talent and has shown we can beat and play with some of the best teams. But after a loss like today and last week, it's hard not to just be thinking about how we can just lose to anyone too. We don't have that killer instinct. I don't know if it's Reich, Wentz, or whatever but for the talent we have we lack that "it" factor and it has cost us when it mattered most.

If I could pick one, and only one, area of improvement, it would be pass rush. QB would be a (VERY) close 2nd, followed by receiver. IMO, there's no way the Colts part ways with Wentz for at least 1 more year, simply because they're not going to find anyone better who's available, AND who they can afford. So I'd focus on getting a legit No. 1 receiver to complement Pittman. Do that and I think Wentz makes fewer mistakes because he's not forced into desperate situations as often. With the pass rush, it's a roll of the dice. It's conceivable that Paye and/or Odeyingbo could make the leap from rookie to bona fide stars either this year or next. I personally think getting another Denico Autry type could be sufficient. Lastly, I see Doyle as a legit No. 2 TE. I'd try to shore up the TE position if possible.

We have so many problems with the team. And yet we somehow beat the Patriots, the Bills and the Cardinals. I just don’t understand… I thought we were close, but after today? 

We have pretty much nothing for the draft. A late 2nd, 3rd, 4th… Like three 7th round picks, which are nearly worthless. I don’t think we have much in spending money for free agency either. 

Going to have to let go of some really good players just to accrue capital. Which means we’ll probably be a worse team next year. 

Just now, DougDew said:

At least he's better than Fields and Hurts.  Probably Lamar too, considering his replacement isn't much of a dropoff throwing wise.  Mayfield?  Garrapolo?  Lance?  Love?  Ben at this point? Daniel Jones?  Hienke?  Goff? There are a lot of average QBs in the NFL.

Yea I can’t get over giving up a 1st for him. Wasn’t worth it. At some point just suck for one year to put yourself in position to draft your guy or better yet if your such a draft genesis trade up and grab the guy. 

1 hour ago, Mike Tahoe said:

After watching this team get handled in every aspect of the game in Jacksonville, I am not convinced that this team, as it stands, can become a championship team.  

I hate to say it but I feel like Wentz has regressed in both his ability and decision making.  Losing next years 1st rounder is going to hurt.

What changes do you think this team needs to make to become a championship caliber team?

I may be in the minority, but this what I think the team needs to do:

- New QB Carson takes way too long in the pocket and makes way too many bone headed decisions.  Not to mention, his accuracy is suspect at times as well. His greatest strength is probably his athleticism, but I feel like that is already on the decline

- A true no. 1 WR. Pittman is a quality receiver but he is not a true game changer that defenses need to game plan against.  We need someone who get open often and be a go to threat at all times.

- Defense:  without a pass rush this defense can make too many mediocre QBs look like Joe Montana.  If you do not have a strong four man rush the cover 2 will always be a liability.

I love this team and will always be a fan, but I just think we are a few pieces away still.

What this team needs to be winners Is change it's name to the Patriots, Steelers, Packers and move to those respective cities OR GO GET Brady lol.

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

We have so many problems with the team. And yet we somehow beat the Patriots, the Bills and the Cardinals. I just don’t understand… I thought we were close, but after today? 

We have pretty much nothing for the draft. A late 2nd, 3rd, 4th… Like three 7th round picks, which are nearly worthless. I don’t think we have much in spending money for free agency either. 

Going to have to let go of some really good players just to accrue capital. Which means we’ll probably be a worse team next year. 

ballard has us regressing for years to come

The thing is when you look at all the losses individually, it's a wide range of issues, and Ballard hasn't been perfect, but this team certainly has enough talent to beat the Jags and make the playoffs.  When it's not coming together consistently, when you're starting slow in the beginning and collapsing at the end, it's coaching.  Take out the 1-4 start and the 0 -2 finish.  During the middle period, they might have been the best team in the league, and they didn't even make the playoffs.

I have no idea where you go from here.  For Wentz, I don't see it going up from here, only turning more negative after this failure.  I have no idea how you get the fan base excited for next season.  Maybe some more Luck off-season rumors will do the trick.  lol

Day 739 of 2020.  It's gonna be a long off-season.

Archived