Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at Cardinals Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had no expectations with this game. I just wanted it to be a good one, got my wish there. Some people like to trash Wentz whenever they get the chance, but they can't deny that he came up clutch when needed. 

Cardinal's defense has some playmakers, and they gave the Colts problems at times. However, their offense is struggling, they have trouble finishing drives. The miscues definitely helped the Colts, but they worked hard to get the win.

I was impressed with the O-line stepping in. The team needs to find a way to win no matter the circumstances. 

8 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich said Wentz was the one that suggested they use Patmon on that play. They had been running it in practice.

Everybody here knows I've been pushing for Patmon mainly because I love his size, speed, and in my opinion he's got very good hands.  He catches the ball very securely. I've said before I think he could be our # 2 if Frank would ever start using him and make a point to incorporate him in the offense.  He should already be being used as a deep threat.    I'm not worried about Carson in the least if they will do that along with Campbell coming back.  I didn't advocate for sitting TY.  What I did advocate for is getting the young guys more involved along with TYs continued use, but maybe not use TY so much.   Get guys like Patmon, Ke Ke Coutee/Demichael Harris involved.   TY helped us out tonight I have to say though. 

Great win, we had a lot of starters out and hardly nobody was picking us. I read a lot of posts on the Game Thread that was just bashing Wentz, saying he sucked, he wasn't worth a first round pick, etc.. Yeah he was bad for the 1st 3 Qtrs but in the 4th Qtr he was lights out when it counted! Too many people in here don't have faith in our team and panic over every little thing. I was never even worried. I said the Colts were the 2nd best team in the AFC even before the Pats game and they have proven it the last 2 games. Covid-19 didn't even stop us from winning lmao . We have a good QB, great RB, and a good WR = Pittman. Let me to you something, TY looks healthy too and when TY plays like he did last night we are real dangerous. Our defense was lights out as well and IMO last night was the best game Frank has ever coached. We had no business winning that game with that many starters out but found a way. 9-6 now on the season with a 90% chance of making the playoffs. The whole world has to take us serious now. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)= When Taylor goes over 100 we are 9-0.

6 hours ago, NDWentzFan said:

The Wentz thing is so strange I have never seen a group of national media, local media, NFL Fans, and Colts Fans hang on every throw he makes.  One minutes tweets saying how he is the worst QB in the league because he started the 3rd Q slow and missed some throws and then the next minutes MVP Wentz is back.   I don't think it is like that with any other player in the league.  Its either you hate him and wait for a OMG BAD throw he will make once or twice a game and run to a message board or twitter and post or you a stan and wait for an OMG GOOD throw he will make once or twice a game and run to a message board or twitter and post. 

Regardless of the roller coaster everyone lives by on each throw the results say he is a TOP 10 QB in the NFL will more then likey (if he plays) end the year with right around 30 TDs and under 10 INTs and his team after a terrible start will be heading towards the playoffs after an impressive road win.  Its like people refuse for whatever reason to look at the entire body of work and just focus on the few shock plays each game. 

Like tonight people say he played like trash and had a clutch drive.  He was 18-28  225 Yards  2 TDs  0 Turnovers passer rating of 113.0   Like you don't get those numbers playing like trash all game and having 1 good drive at the end of the game.  The people who trash him are just looking at the 1-6 to start the 3rd Q and claim he played like trash all game. 

People see the ESPN plays the shovel pass to Aaron Donald or the left handed INT and just say he has been trash all year long.  Fact is he has been at TOP 10 QB this season. 

Well said.  He's so much better than so many give him credit for.

When I saw that Leonard was out my only thought was " well Speed is going to have to step up big time tonight" and he sure did. Odum also. Nice win, moves my prediction record to 11-4 on the season. The thing about Wentz(and I've been in Wentz's corner since the trade was made) is he makes really bad decisions and throws at times, just like both Manning and Luck, the difference is Wentz isn't near the talent those two were and his mistakes are more magnified and he can't cover them up like Manning and Luck did. Wentz played very well last night, made some critical, big time throws when he had to. Let's get our offensive linemen back for the home stretch. As I just said it last week, this team is loaded with depth, even though Davenport is awful. Everyone of our reserve o-linemen would start on the steelers(except for Davenport).

Unfortunately I couldn't watch the game, for I was at my mom for Christmas, and the game wasn't covered there, I hope it will be re-aired in upcoming days. I was anxious about injuries and COVID-thing, and thought we would lose this  game. Fortunately Colts proved me wrong and pulled another win, so Colts became the hottest team in the NFL. Numbers say that Taylor had a good game, in spite of missing the half of the starting O-line, and D could pressure Murray a lot. I really want to watch this game...

GO COLTS! ONTO THE PLAYOFFS!

38 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Range not really any better (from memory), and i dont think accuracy was as good.

kickers are streaky, i dont think you mess with the relatively good consistency we’ve had.

Actually wrong on both fronts, range much better in the 40-49 range as well as overall numbers.

Hot Rod 84.3%  all fg's...40-49 range  82.3%

Badgley 79.8 %  all fg's  40-49 range 72.7 %

And these numbers included the Balt game which Hot Rod kicked injured in,throw out that game and the difference becomes greater.

This season Hot Rod 9/10 on field goals and 6 /6 p.a.t.s  before the injury....reports say he is fully healthy. 

57 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

A phone call was made...NFL FO wanted Murray to get the win.  LOLOL.  J/K

Makes me wonder if Leonard actually might of went and got vaccinated. Because why would they be clear then find out they weren’t. It’s almost like maybe they weren’t daily testing and woke up sick.  So that would mean they were  vaccinated.  Maybe he didn’t want the vaccination questions so he continued wearing the mask so people wouldn’t ask if he was vaccinated. 

7 hours ago, NDWentzFan said:

The Wentz thing is so strange I have never seen a group of national media, local media, NFL Fans, and Colts Fans hang on every throw he makes.  One minutes tweets saying how he is the worst QB in the league because he started the 3rd Q slow and missed some throws and then the next minutes MVP Wentz is back.   I don't think it is like that with any other player in the league.  Its either you hate him and wait for a OMG BAD throw he will make once or twice a game and run to a message board or twitter and post or you a stan and wait for an OMG GOOD throw he will make once or twice a game and run to a message board or twitter and post. 

Regardless of the roller coaster everyone lives by on each throw the results say he is a TOP 10 QB in the NFL will more then likey (if he plays) end the year with right around 30 TDs and under 10 INTs and his team after a terrible start will be heading towards the playoffs after an impressive road win.  Its like people refuse for whatever reason to look at the entire body of work and just focus on the few shock plays each game. 

Like tonight people say he played like trash and had a clutch drive.  He was 18-28  225 Yards  2 TDs  0 Turnovers passer rating of 113.0   Like you don't get those numbers playing like trash all game and having 1 good drive at the end of the game.  The people who trash him are just looking at the 1-6 to start the 3rd Q and claim he played like trash all game. 

People see the ESPN plays the shovel pass to Aaron Donald or the left handed INT and just say he has been trash all year long.  Fact is he has been at TOP 10 QB this season. 

Garbage.
  One should mostly overlook the first five games when judging our offense.
 What isn't overlooked by me is the body of Wentz's work.
  And in Wentz's case the "garbage" monicker flares up because of so many "hero" plays. It is more often happening quarter after quarter rather than a few times a game. His decision making can't be top ten. 
 How can he play this many years and stand on the same deep spot and get stripped sacked? There was a huge space to step up into like an intelligent QB would naturally do. He is a career 62% passer. And we watch him slinging all these sailing passes from Unsound bases. There IS a lot of Garbage in his game to clean up. He is Very Frustrating!!!
 With a lesser offensive line and Marlon Mack as our lead back, would there be many more people ready to Trash Ballard, Reich, Wentz?? An easy one!
 We gave up a game to the Ravens because of kicking, it was nice to be gifted one back.
 Carson seems a great person, but i liken his game along the lines of Jay Cutler.  And i by no means believe he has peaked as a QB, as years with Reich and with multiple receivers will bring dividends.  Go TEAM!

- Very, very impressive win considering who wasn't available, the opponent, Christmas day road game, etc.  Entire organization really showed the heart and mettle of a champion with that performance. 

- Carson Wentz had a shaky 3rd quarter, but overall played some really good football yesterday.  I think playing behind a makeshift o-line and subsequent pressure in the pocket caused his mechanics to falter a bit and he was speeding things up which caused a few inaccurate throws especially in the 3rd.  However, I thought he and Reich did a great job of settling things down in the 4th by getting him on different launch points outside the pocket with bootlegs, lateral escape on scrambles.  Going forward would like to see a lot more of that to take advantage of his skill set.  

- Johnathan Taylor should be the MVP.  We are 9-0 when he rushes for 100+ yards and has really been doing it despite teams knowing he is the focal point of the offense.  He is so good at turning 10 yard gains into 20, 20 yard gains into 30 and so on because of the unique things he can do to break tackles, miss tackles when he gets to the 2nd level at full speed.  I would like to see if we can cut his carries down a bit the last two weeks if possible just to keep him as fresh as possible for a potential playoff run  

- I liked the aggressiveness with regards to blitzing on several of the 3rd downs (and 4th down with about 5 min left) from the defense.  Did they all work? No and a few times the Cards did get chunk plays out of it, but I am almost certain that we had rushed four and played zone behind, well over the 90% of those situations would have gone their way regards to keeping drives alive and led to more points, offense and Wentz forcing things more, etc.  The defense did not generate a turnover yesterday, but still played a very effective game because of the above.  

38 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Garbage.
  One should mostly overlook the first five games when judging our offense.
 What isn't overlooked by me is the body of Wentz's work.
  And in Wentz's case the "garbage" monicker flares up because of so many "hero" plays. It is more often happening quarter after quarter rather than a few times a game. His decision making can't be top ten. 
 How can he play this many years and stand on the same deep spot and get stripped sacked? There was a huge space to step up into like an intelligent QB would naturally do. He is a career 62% passer. And we watch him slinging all these sailing passes from Unsound bases. There IS a lot of Garbage in his game to clean up. He is Very Frustrating!!!
 With a lesser offensive line and Marlon Mack as our lead back, would there be many more people ready to Trash Ballard, Reich, Wentz?? An easy one!
 We gave up a game to the Ravens because of kicking, it was nice to be gifted one back.
 Carson seems a great person, but i liken his game along the lines of Jay Cutler.  And i by no means believe he has peaked as a QB, as years with Reich and with multiple receivers will bring dividends.  Go TEAM!

Rivers was a 65% passer.  Comparing Rivers year with the Colts, Wentz has better stats.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Everybody here knows I've been pushing for Patmon mainly because I love his size, speed, and in my opinion he's got very good hands.  He catches the ball very securely. I've said before I think he could be our # 2 if Frank would ever start using him and make a point to incorporate him in the offense.  He should already be being used as a deep threat.    I'm not worried about Carson in the least if they will do that along with Campbell coming back.  I didn't advocate for sitting TY.  What I did advocate for is getting the young guys more involved along with TYs continued use, but maybe not use TY so much.   Get guys like Patmon, Ke Ke Coutee/Demichael Harris involved.   TY helped us out tonight I have to say though. 

We already have a true #2 in Pittman. We need a #1

12 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

To everyone who panicked when the Covid news and just assumed this game would be a loss I hope you trust your team a little more now.

It wasn’t ugly but it was never going to be pretty with that many people out but the Colts got the job done.

major credit to TY for stepping up.  I had a feeling he would.  Veteran leaders just tend to in games like this.

Wentz should quiet some non-believers now.

Taylor going for over 100 with four fifths of his starting line out and his blocking tightend out and his blocking WR just speaks to how good he is.

Pittman had a very nice game tonight and Wentz was forcing him the ball at times like you do with a number one WR.  Those two are developing a very nice Chemistry.

Credit to the make shift oline.  No they weren’t perfect and they struggled at times but overall they held their own.  That was really the most you could ask of them given the situations. 
Odum, Rodgers, and Speed all stepped up on defense and made big plays.  Dept in deed.

The Colts we’re able to get pressure tonight at key points.  Not the sacks or turnovers we would have wanted but they rushed Murray a couple of times and got a safety and two big fourth down stops.

Flus has really gotten the defense to step up lately.  Shutting out the Texans, shutting out the Pats for three quarters, and now holding one of the best offenses in the NFL to 16 points and really only giving up one TD drive, the other was on a short field after the one good special teams play of the night for the cards.  Yes the cards had major injury concerns but the Colts were also missing some key players on defense.  
A shout out to Frank.  Not only did he call a very good and balanced game but the way he juggled the roster and game plan on short notice.  Also, yes Ballard found this depth but Frank has coached these kids up and has this team truly believing in next man up when their turn is called.  Also, something that often goes over looked, the Colts had very few penalties tonight while the cards had several key ones.  That’s a sign of a well coached and disciplined team and tonight it was a factor.  This team clearly believes in Frank and trusts him as he guides them through adversity.  I honestly think he should be in the running for coach of the year.
This is the type of game that good teams find away to win and the Colts did just that.  This is a good team.  Now beat the Raiders and or Jags and punch that post-season ticket.

The not so good.

Rhodes is toast.  I’d like to see Rodgers take his starting spot when Ya-sin is back.  
Fisher leaving with a knee injury and being ruled out so fast is a very bad sign.  
Wentz played very well overall but when he’s uncomfortable he’s wild, however so are most QBs.  However, he missed some easy throws tonight because he seemed like he wasn’t panicking a little bit with the pressure.  
I said it last week I’ll say it again this week time to go back to Hot Rod.  

I would like to see Rogers take over at corner.  I think we could be set there with Rock on the other side.  I would be willing to bring Rhodes back in a FS role if he is willing to move there.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great win, we had a lot of starters out and hardly nobody was picking us. I read a lot of posts on the Game Thread that was just bashing Wentz, saying he sucked, he wasn't worth a first round pick, etc.. Yeah he was bad for the 1st 3 Qtrs but in the 4th Qtr he was lights out when it counted! Too many people in here don't have faith in our team and panic over every little thing. I was never even worried. I said the Colts were the 2nd best team in the AFC even before the Pats game and they have proven it the last 2 games. Covid-19 didn't even stop us from winning lmao . We have a good QB, great RB, and a good WR = Pittman. Let me to you something, TY looks healthy too and when TY plays like he did last night we are real dangerous. Our defense was lights out as well and IMO last night was the best game Frank has ever coached. We had no business winning that game with that many starters out but found a way. 9-6 now on the season with a 90% chance of making the playoffs. The whole world has to take us serious now. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)= When Taylor goes over 100 we are 9-0.

To follow this up, my AFC Title Game is Colts at Chiefs, NFC Title Game Bucs at Packers again. That is my Final 4, whatever happens from there is anyone's call.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

I was just watching part of Kylers press conference. One thing was very clear he gets very down after a loss. He was hanging his head. To me that says a lot about his mental makeup. Never seen that from a QB before after a loss. Some of the arizona podcasts have mentioned his body language before. 

He knew he just got beat by our B team basically, not having Leonard should've been doomsday but we still won haha 

Such a great all around team win, everyone contributed. Wentz was shaky most of the game but came through in the clutch for that game sealing drive. Oline held up just enough with 4 backups, and defense played well missing Leonard. Ugly wins are wins. My biggest takeaway is just how bad the Cardinals are crashing back to earth. Kingsbury truly looks like he is in over his head, and as someone mentioned above it seems like Murray cant handle losing/adversity.

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

What’s Blankenship 50+ % when compared to Badger?

I think Rigo put in a lot of work this off season in the strength and conditioning room.  He won the job and only an injury took it away.  Badgley was an unemployed kicker until the injury.  He has filled in well but I would rather have our kicker back for the stretch run.

Thought Speed had a great game considering how much he has played with the #D and led team in tackles. Rodgers and Odum also played great. Shout out to Ballard for the roster depth which I think most didn't realize was there. Also to Frank and the coaching staff for working around injuries and covid.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I was just watching part of Kylers press conference. One thing was very clear he gets very down after a loss. He was hanging his head. To me that says a lot about his mental makeup. Never seen that from a QB before after a loss. Some of the arizona podcasts have mentioned his body language before. 

I thought his body language on the sideline was very telling.  He looked down and very discouraged.  He didn’t play well against our depleted defense. He seems to get his splash play scrambles every game.  But, for me, I would rather have Wentz.

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

to win a super bowl wentz has to improve i watched the game again  ty hilton was wide open on  tons of key plays where wentz forced it to pittman  .   he missed wide open throws on 4th down .  if wentz can even slightly improve we can be the best team in the nfl .

I think the problem is sometimes this team gets focused on trying to feed one person. I also think with the happy feet Wentz had last night, he was zoned in on Pittman mostly. I’m sure he and Hilton will get it together and hookup more. 

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

to win a super bowl wentz has to improve i watched the game again  ty hilton was wide open on  tons of key plays where wentz forced it to pittman  .   he missed wide open throws on 4th down .  if wentz can even slightly improve we can be the best team in the nfl .

It's pretty much his biggest weakness. He gets a bad case of tunnelvision when there's the slightest hint of pressure. He had a pretty rough stretch during the first half of the 3rd Q, then he kind of got it together and hit Patmon in the endzone.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wentz had an Offensive Line that was depleted, that is why when people were bagging on him in the Game Thread, I didn't even respond. Scoreboard! Well Done Thumbs Up GIF by Indianapolis Colts- people can criticize our team all they want but keep looking foolish. We are 9-6 and just beat two very good teams. We are playoff bound. 

Problem with this is he missed or didn't see wide open receivers even when he wasn't under pressure.

Archived