Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Morning After: Lest not be fooled here

Indeee

34 minutes ago, Indeee said:

You could certainly say the same for the Colts in regards to injuries and whatever right now with exception that we are not lucking into wins right now. Yes, I do believe that the Detroit game and the Colts game victories for the Ravens were pure luck. In any event, that 4-1 record is highly misleading. I don't care about the reasoning, i.e. injuries or whatever, basing it strictly on those wins/record as most on here are, you are correct as they should not be in first place nor hold a 4-1 record. They should be at best 2-2. My assessment would be the same if the Colts were in the Ravens position right now. I would be grateful for the record but honest about it at same time. The Chargers game is your first measuring stick. Just don't let injuries be the excuse when they wax you because it goes both ways. If the ravens beat the Chargers I will reach out to you and gladly eat some of that old crow your spewing, but until then I've got to see it to believe it. :thmup:

There is no pure luck. Both the Lions and Colts lost those games based on coaching decisions ,or defensive mistakes late in the game ,that the Ravens took advantage of. 

As far as the Chargers game, it’s just another game in a long schedule. If we won that one also, you would tell us that the next Cincy game is a measuring stick. The bottom line is you are just stacking wins where you can. 

The Ravens have been in the playoffs the last three years, so no measuring sticks are needed. The real challenge is whether their depth can overcome the injuries. That is the major question. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

There is no pure luck. Both the Lions and Colts lost those games based on coaching decisions ,or defensive mistakes late in the game ,that the Ravens took advantage of. 

As far as the Chargers game, it’s just another game in a long schedule. If we won that one also, you would tell us that the next Cincy game is a measuring stick. The bottom line is you are just stacking wins where you can. 

The Ravens have been in the playoffs the last three years, so no measuring sticks are needed. The real challenge is whether their depth can overcome the injuries. That is the major question. 

1. Honestly, this is beginning to bore even me. I'm not a ravens fan. I'm a Colts fan and a Football fan in general. I call it as I see it right or wrong, but I told you that I would gladly eat crow, meaning I would admit I was wrong about the Ravens currently IF... IF they beat the Chargers and you're going to tell me that if the ravens beat the Chargers I'm going to tell you the Cincy game is a measuring stick? 
  3. I'm guessing you are personally talking to me as you are responding back to me so to that I will say... WHAT???
  5. Not only MAY you be delusional about the state of your team currently but now you are delusional about how I'm going to react after I already told you how I would react regarding my response if the ravens win Sunday. Seriously what is going on here? I had one guy earlier tell me he knew what I meant when I said that I didn't say the ravens sucked. Trust me, if I thought the ravens sucked, I would say they sucked and now I've got you telling me I'm going to renege on giving the Ravens props by moving the figurative goal post in the event they beat the chargers? 

You defending the ravens and making up fictional scenarios seems more like you're trying to convince yourself about your team and not me. Wow...Ha!!

Good luck against the Bolts

27 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I agree.   Only good teams make the playoffs 3 years in a row.   Usually only good teams start the season 4-1.   Only good teams have as many injuries as the Ravens do and still go 4-1.  

11 minutes ago, Indeee said:
  1. Honestly, this is beginning to bore even me. I'm not a ravens fan. I'm a Colts fan and a Football fan in general. I call it as I see it right or wrong, but I told you that I would gladly eat crow, meaning I would admit I was wrong about the Ravens currently IF... IF they beat the Chargers and you're going to tell me that if the ravens beat the Chargers I'm going to tell you the Cincy game is a measuring stick? 
  3. I'm guessing you are personally talking to me as you are responding back to me so to that I will say... WHAT???
  5. Not only MAY you be delusional about the state of your team currently but now you are delusional about how I'm going to react after I already told you how I would react regarding my response if the ravens win Sunday. Seriously what is going on here? I had one guy earlier tell me he knew what I meant when I said that I didn't say the ravens sucked. Trust me, if I thought the ravens sucked, I would say they sucked and now I've got you telling me I'm going to renege on giving the Ravens props by moving the figurative goal post in the event they beat the chargers? 

You defending the ravens and making up fictional scenarios seems more like you're trying to convince yourself about your team and not me. Wow...Ha!!

Not to be mean, but if you’re bored, why post the thread ?
Secondly, how am I delusional about the Ravens ? Am I on here crowing about a victory over the Colts, absolutely not.I thought we played horribly most of the game, but hats off to the Colts on that.  I’m just adding some kind of context as to the state of the Ravens, since you were the one that brought them up. 
Look, I thought the Colts played a great game for three quarters. Wentz played very well. The Colts have some good players, but your team is banged up also. To me, it was game five on the schedule , now onto game six. If I remove my Ravens glasses, I would probably pick the Chargers next game in Baltimore, based on this week’s game. 
Every game is important, so if they lose , and are 4-2, they are still in first ,and have to play Cincy. Win , and you’re 5-1, but you could still end up like Pittsburgh last year. 
My point is it’s hard to put labels on like good, bad, great, this early in the season. You have your opinion, fine, but others have there’s. 
Like I said , it’s a week to week league affected by injuries, matchups , and other factors. 

21 hours ago, Indeee said:

The Ravens are NOT a good team this year. The Colts were up big for this reason. Whatever is being said by media regarding the Ravens, its smoke and absurd.

The Ravens lost to a much improved Raiders team who only recently fell apart amidst the Gruden stuff. They beat a very mediocre KC team whose defense is worse than ours and who are not that good this year especially against the run and the Ravens running game outside of Lamar, is putrid. They needed a 66 yard fg to beat DETROIT, and they beat a terrible Denver team who was only once 3 and 0 by beating even worse teams than them. They should not have beaten us but they best us and everyone on here knows WE ARE TERRIBLE right now.

Doesn't matter why. Doesn't matter if we shows signs of better stuff each week. WE ARE TERRIBLE right now.

I'm only writing this thread because I saw some on here using stuff like Lamar is great, Ravens are really good, blah, blah, blah. Its hogwash. This Ravens team is not good and next week the Chargers will wax them.

We lost because we are terrible. We are bottom tier. Thats it.

To watch that game and come away with this is mind-boggling.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

On 10/12/2021 at 10:33 AM, The Old Crow said:

Thanks. Honestly, we are a banged up team. All of the wins , except for Denver, have been improbable. I don’t know what our final record will be , but we have a lot of injuries to overcome. If we play like we did against Detroit and the Colts , the Chargers are going to blow our doors off. 
It’s a week to week league, and the Ravens and the Colts are two of the most banged up teams. Right now Lamar is carrying this whole team, as we would be 0-5 without him. It’s not too different from Manning led Colt teams that were banged up, but you could still win a lot of games. You just have to take it week to week. 

Agreed. I think the Ravens and Colts will win their respective divisions in spite of their injuries, although I don’t think it will be easy for either. Best of luck with the Chargers, I would not want to play them this year

54 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Agreed. I think the Ravens and Colts will win their respective divisions in spite of their injuries, although I don’t think it will be easy for either. Best of luck with the Chargers, I would not want to play them this year

Thanks. I don’t ever like playing the Chargers. We are still stinging over that playoff loss in Baltimore a couple of years ago. I’m glad the game is in Baltimore, and the Chargers have to haul out East for a 1 PM game, but that may be the only advantage. 
We are a very shaky 4-1 with 17 on IR. You just don’t know how long until the dam breaks. The defense looks brutal right now. Just hoping for the best, or some more luck. 

On 10/12/2021 at 8:36 AM, Indeee said:

The Ravens are NOT a good team this year. The Colts were up big for this reason. Whatever is being said by media regarding the Ravens, its smoke and absurd.

The Ravens lost to a much improved Raiders team who only recently fell apart amidst the Gruden stuff. They beat a very mediocre KC team whose defense is worse than ours and who are not that good this year especially against the run and the Ravens running game outside of Lamar, is putrid. They needed a 66 yard fg to beat DETROIT, and they beat a terrible Denver team who was only once 3 and 0 by beating even worse teams than them. They should not have beaten us but they best us and everyone on here knows WE ARE TERRIBLE right now.

Doesn't matter why. Doesn't matter if we shows signs of better stuff each week. WE ARE TERRIBLE right now.

I'm only writing this thread because I saw some on here using stuff like Lamar is great, Ravens are really good, blah, blah, blah. Its hogwash. This Ravens team is not good and next week the Chargers will wax them.

Finally somebody that is objective. Honestly, without injuries we are average to above average, but injuries are a part of the game, yes everyone has injuries, but even before our DBs went down, we were 0-2, now we are 1-4. Face it, we need more pressure on the QB, Okereke is terrible in coverage or against the run, so we need another LB and we need one more provennnnn CB and another safety. So we are 4-5 players away from being top 10 team. It's not hard to accept once you realize it. I hate it, but it's reality.

On 10/13/2021 at 1:10 PM, The Old Crow said:

Thanks. I don’t ever like playing the Chargers. We are still stinging over that playoff loss in Baltimore a couple of years ago. I’m glad the game is in Baltimore, and the Chargers have to haul out East for a 1 PM game, but that may be the only advantage. 
We are a very shaky 4-1 with 17 on IR. You just don’t know how long until the dam breaks. The defense looks brutal right now. Just hoping for the best, or some more luck. 

Yeah I think that Ravens D is very porous. But it helps to have guys like Jackson and Andrews when that’s the case

1 hour ago, chickenMan said:

Yeah I think that Ravens D is very porous. But it helps to have guys like Jackson and Andrews when that’s the case

Based on what we saw against the Colts, no pass rush , poor tackling and LB play, Averett and secondary got lit up. Not the kind of formula you want to face Herbert and the Chargers with. 
Ravens defenses usually get better as the season goes on, but between injuries and current talent level, this may be one of the lesser defensive teams. 
On a side note, this is the third time Wentz has lit up the Ravens, as he did twice before when he was with Philly. He generally plays well historically against Baltimore. 

Bottom line we played a good game against a good team and lost only because our  kicker missed his 1st xtra point of the year and 2 chip shot FGs he had not missed from those ranges prior this year. All the other nonsense and speculation is just that, nonsense and speculation. Let's get healed up and I think we are capable of winning our division and we go from there.

On 10/13/2021 at 3:51 PM, Blueblazes said:

Finally somebody that is objective. Honestly, without injuries we are average to above average, but injuries are a part of the game, yes everyone has injuries, but even before our DBs went down, we were 0-2, now we are 1-4. Face it, we need more pressure on the QB, Okereke is terrible in coverage or against the run, so we need another LB and we need one more provennnnn CB and another safety. So we are 4-5 players away from being top 10 team. It's not hard to accept once you realize it. I hate it, but it's reality.

It’s all about what is Ballard going to do to fix it. He can’t just say here is the draft let’s hope these guys turn out good. Or wait around for them to get good.  If he just keeps hoping the draft gets them where they need to be It will never happen. Injuries and players get older. He has to go out and make it happen. Seems we found our QB now how does he go out and find those few players that will take them to the next level.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s all about what is Ballard going to do to fix it. He can’t just say here is the draft let’s hope these guys turn out good. Or wait around for them to get good.  If he just keeps hoping the draft gets them where they need to be It will never happen. Injuries and players get older. He has to go out and make it happen. Seems we found our QB now how does he go out and find those few players that will take them to the next level.

I am going to give Ballard the benefit of the doubt on acquiring our players.  He made the trade to finally get our 3T in Buckner.  He made the trade for Wentz and it’s starting to look like we have our franchise quarterback as well.  Many of his draft picks have already shown potential to be great players.  He is starting to sign our core star players.  We are getting there.  Injuries have really held us back this year.  Just to numerous to overcome so early in the season.  He has signed his share of FA’s.  Some have worked out some haven’t.  That’s the nature of FA.  He’s not afraid to make trades and he’s quite good at it actually.  So I’m going to try and be more patient so early in the season.  The trade deadline is November 2nd.  There is always a chance he will make a move to help the team.  I think our course is back on track with Wentz.  If so we are in a good place for the rest of this year and going forward.  Just taking it one game at a time.

I see us winning the next 5 games, I just looked at our schedule despite having a suspect secondary. We have 4 of the next 5 at home. We have to put Monday behind us as tough a loss as it was and start a winning streak.

Here is our next 5 games:

Houston

at 49'ers

Tennessee - that is the big one but it's here

NY Jets

Jacksonville

We do that we will be at 6-4, then we play at Buffalo which will probably be a loss but being at 6-5 is still ok at that point.

• Ravens are good, not great (and injured big time). Yes, they have only lost one, but have been squeakers.
  • Jackson is a great weapon, not really a great traditional throwing QB. He's far from the only guy to have a personal best throwing day in one stat or another vs the Colts passing D
  • to the author @Indeee , I really doubt LAC waxes them this weekend. Chargers are worst in the league vs the run... If anything, should be high scoring affair.
  • Colts should have won easily,
    • but Frank took the foot off the gas (he even said he was too conservative later in the game)
    • and went total prevent on D allowing Jackson to churn and burn for several drives
    • We didn't lose because Jackson or the Ravens are great

5 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Bottom line we played a good game against a good team and lost only because our  kicker missed his 1st xtra point of the year and 2 chip shot FGs he had not missed from those ranges prior this year. All the other nonsense and speculation is just that, nonsense and speculation. Let's get healed up and I think we are capable of winning our division and we go from there.

One was a blocked kick. BAL just made a play. The other was a 47 yarder IIRC, which isn’t a really a chip shot. The missed PAT was bad though.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, Indeee said:

Are not a good team THIS YEAR so far. I did not say they are not a good team. If you want to look at record as you have implied. As I stated, this ravens team needed a miracle 66 yard FG to beat the 0-5 Lions and a complete collapse of the 1-3 Colts to win in OT. The Colts should have blown them out. Not win by 1, not win by 6. Blown out. 

That's two of those 4 wins you are hanging your hat on and if you think that shows a good team then I'm sorry, you and I will disagree. You see good team, I see really lucky.

I agree with you because with ALL their injuries nobody expected much from the Ravens this year who HAVE BEEN lucky so far. Even their defense is not the Ravens of old as they are currently ranked 24th in the league.  They are a flawed team who has taken ADVANTAGE of some breaks by adapting to the circumstances and I give them credit for that. They won't just sit back and HOPE for better results. They are aggressive and will use what they have to scratch and claw which is why they are 4-1 at this point of the season. They EXPECT to win. That’s their culture and MINDSET.

Whereas this staff seems more content with moral victories against the better teams. Yes every blue moon they can sneak in a victory over an elite team and even that usually comes under some circumstance in which said team was not at full strength.

Frank was FIRED as the oc in San Diego. Words like conservative, lackluster and bland were used to describe his offense DESPITE having playmakers. By all accounts the Chargers brass thought highly of Frank the person but chose to move on from him football wise. 

When I see these all too often quotes from Frank about getting too conservative in which many give him credit as being standup and taking responsibility, I see it as coach staring directly in the mirror and seeing the SAME reflection over and over. Growth has to come at some point. If not then you've reached your ceiling and I feel that..

A) Flus has peaked as dc

B) Frank is who he is

C) Ballard is ok as gm but he's a far cry from the all world wiz that many has pegged him 

Yes Ballard is excellent in giving interviews which is why the media loves him starting with the McDaniels you're either in or out presser but 5 YEARS into his actual job our skill players on defense are almost non existent and this team's backups are putrid at best.

At this rate it'll take another 5 years of Ballard's drafting for this team to compete on a CONSISTENT basis with the big boys who by the way will not sit pat while WAITING on the Colts to emerge.

Most Ravens fans ,at the beginning of the season , when we lost Dobbins, Edward’s, and Peters ,were all ready thinking about next year. Throw in Stanley, Boyle, Bateman , and many more. It looked like a lost season where you could have been a Super Bowl contender. 
We are still lamenting what might have been, but you have to play this season out and see how it goes. 
Except Denver, the three other wins are like any I’ve ever seen. Beating KC by one, on a late fumble. The 66 yard kick against Detroit, then they literally needed everything to fall into place to beat the Colts. I think there was a 2-3 % chance of winning in the 4th quarter. 
I guess there has been some luck, but the Ravens also made some great plays. 
I’m not sure where they are going to end up, but 4-1 looks pretty good considering all the adversity. There are a lot of flaws on this team because of injury. Many point to the Detroit game, but in addition to all the IR’s, they also had four on Covid reserve including their two top defensive linemen. 
I know Colt fans are no strangers to player injuries. You just have to play the games and see where you end up. 

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

The Raven's are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook.

You can blame Frank for that. He should have been more aggressive. We couldn’t really stop you defensively that night. Those things happen to all teams. One that got away. We’ve had them also.  

9 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

You can blame Frank for that. He should have been more aggressive. We couldn’t really stop you defensively that night. Those things happen to all teams. One that got away. We’ve had them also.  

Anytime that dennis green quote can be inserted it should be.  

Frank definitely allowed defeat to be snatched from the jaws of victory

On 10/12/2021 at 6:43 AM, runthepost said:

I’ll take Lamar over any version of Wentz if we are being honesty :headspin:

I will ONLY take Lamar if asked on Jeopardy where the only category is “Scrambles like I hyper chicken and scores more rushing TDs than Mr. Wentz”. That’s it!

With that said, Lamar is  headed towards the RG3 syndrome.

He can scramble because he can but a lot of times it is reckless. He is headed for a short career because the more he runs the greater the chances of injuries…but I don’t wish that for him.
I only want the Ravens to beat teams I don’t care about.

So, Colts…

Get ready to take on what could be the GOAT of scrambling when you come to Arizona on Christmas Day!

Dear Santa…you know what I want for Christmas:rock:

1 hour ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

I will ONLY take Lamar if asked on Jeopardy where the only category is “Scrambles like I hyper chicken and scores more rushing TDs than Mr. Wentz”. That’s it!

With that said, Lamar is  headed towards the RG3 syndrome.

He can scramble because he can but a lot of times it is reckless. He is headed for a short career because the more he runs the greater the chances of injuries…but I don’t wish that for him.
I only want the Ravens to beat teams I don’t care about.

So, Colts…

Get ready to take on what could be the GOAT of scrambling when you come to Arizona on Christmas Day!

Dear Santa…you know what I want for Christmas:rock:

It’s been four years and Lamar is going strong . His running game is gone with his top three running backs, and he’s on course of 5000 passing yards this year. He’s a pretty unique talent.  

13 hours ago, shasta519 said:

One was a blocked kick. BAL just made a play. The other was a 47 yarder IIRC, which isn’t a really a chip shot. The missed PAT was bad though.

My point was Blankenship missed 3 kick, anyone that would have won the game. the last miss was from 47 yards which is well within his rang but he pulled it horrible. Do to injury? Was the block attributable to the injury? Don't know. The PAT I do think had to do with his injury. Again,, if anyone of them went thru the crossbars we wouldn't have been discussing the other nonsense.

On 10/12/2021 at 4:05 PM, Indeee said:

Hello, hello ? Any new enlightening Raven’s comments ? 

On 10/12/2021 at 5:36 AM, Indeee said:

I’m sorry.   You’re a good poster, but this is a bad take based on pure frustration.  

Year in and year out, Baltimore is one of the best franchises in football.   Just because they’ve struggled at the start of the season doesn’t mean they’re a bad team this year.   You took a tough five week stretch and concluded the Ravens are bad for the entire season.   This thread is NOT going to age well. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I’m sorry.   You’re a good poster, but this is a bad take based on pure frustration.  

Year in and year out, Baltimore is one of the best franchises in football.   Just because they’ve struggled at the start of the season doesn’t mean they’re a bad team this year.   You took a tough five week stretch and concluded the Ravens are bad for the entire season.   This thread is NOT going to age well. 

I think it showcases how well the Colts played last week. It also tells you it’s a week to week league. The Chargers are a good team, but they had to haul East to West. We still have a lot of guys on IR, and more went out today. 
The new and improved Bengals will be a tough test. One game at a time. 

31 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I think it showcases how well the Colts played last week. It also tells you it’s a week to week league. The Chargers are a good team, but they had to haul East to West. We still have a lot of guys on IR, and more went out today. 
The new and improved Bengals will be a tough test. One game at a time. 

Yea those Bengals are a little surprising

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yea those Bengals are a little surprising

They are always a pesky divisional opponent. They have drafted very well, and have made a good transition from the Marvin Lewis era. 
They seem to be a bit ahead of schedule from where I had them. Another tough QB we have to face. 

2 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

They are always a pesky divisional opponent. They have drafted very well, and have made a good transition from the Marvin Lewis era. 
They seem to be a bit ahead of schedule from where I had them. Another tough QB we have to face. 

Yea those wrs Higgins and chase are a beast

Archived