Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cuts from other teams worth signing for Colts

BProland85

So I am a bit worried about the Colts situation at CB, LT, and WR, mostly in regards to depth. With that said, I'm hoping Ballard has his eyes on some potential cuts from other teams at those positions. At corner, Rock still seems to be struggling and can't be counted on as the outside starter opposite Rhodes. At LT, I'm still not sold on Davenport being the solid backup to Fisher until he comes back. Finally at WR, if TY were to miss substantial time, we could be lacking playmaking ability there, especially considering Campbell has struggled staying healthy as well. 

As cuts are happening from other teams, feel free to reply back with players that could help Indy in those needed areas.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think an upgrade at LT backup is a need, but lets be honest, everyone ELSE is looking as well

I think if someone comes available at TE, better than our signing this week, we should consider

It wouldnt surprise me if we didnt sign anyone. 

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

I actually still like our depth at WR even without Hilton.  

I love our depth, but without TY, we're down to only Campbell for the prototypical Z/slot. Dulin fits the size/speed profile, but has been used more like an X. Harris is really the only other prototypical Z/slot.

Makes me think we'll either use two-big sets, or move PC to Z, and just use Pascal and Granson a lot from the slot. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Lamar Jackson, CB, isn’t he one of those that fits our CB length profiles?

Yep, 6'2" 220 lbs with 32.25" arms. He fits from a physical perspective, but he lacks speed and needs a lot of technical refinement. He'll need to be on a PS for a couple years to possibly develop into a CB worthy of a 53 man roster. He's also got questionable run support effort, which is huge in our defense.

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

Yep, 6'2" 220 lbs with 32.25" arms. He fits from a physical perspective, but he lacks speed and needs a lot of technical refinement. He'll need to be on a PS for a couple years to possibly develop into a CB worthy of a 53 man roster. He's also got questionable run support effort, which is huge in our defense.

The Hakeem Butler (WR) experiment at TE, WR moved from the Cardinals to the Eagles and he has been cut too. I think he would be a great PS stash to see if we can develop him at TE. He was a very good prospect coming out of Iowa State, they just could not define a position for him, I liked his physicality a lot.

3 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I remember when Bug Howard was a WR and we were pulling for him to make it here.

He was just waived by Buffalo.   He's been signed and cut by 6 NFL teams in 4 years.   Gotta admire his drive, but gotta see that 6 teams didn't like him enough.

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

WR has Hakeem Butler and Kelvin Harmon. Those guys were pre-draft darlings. Funchess is out there too haha.

At CB, I see Rasul Douglas and Prince Amukamara are out there.

Hakeem Butler would be worth developing at TE, IMO. It is not like he suddenly lost all the physicality and talent that he showed in college, I have a hard time believing he cannot be coached up. Teams were caught up in whether to make him a WR or TE etc. 

I sort of disagree about CB and WR.  I like where we are depth-wise in those areas.  But OT - we’re looking at Holden being the primary LT back-up because he’s the least sucky/ only healthy option right now.  That and maybe a third QB for the PS are the only areas I’d be looking to upgrade from other team’s cuts right now.  Of course, if another team cuts a Kenny Moore-level stud at about any position, I hope we claim him…

Antoine Brooks Jr. was a late round safety I liked out of Maryland. He's 5'11" 220 and is an explosive guy that hits. He's lacking in lateral agility, but I think he could be a ST ace and someone that could play a situational role on defense. We have some solid safety depth already, so I don't see this as probable.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hakeem Butler would be worth developing at WR, IMO. It is not like he suddenly lost all the physicality and talent that he showed in college, I have a hard time believing he cannot be coached up. Teams were caught up in whether to make him a WR or TE etc. 

It's interesting. He's got an incredible mix of size and athleticism. He even worked out with Megatron. But for some reason, it hasn't worked out with any team. This is why I always pump the brakes on late-round WRs. It's not just about being big and athletic.

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

WR has Hakeem Butler and Kelvin Harmon. Those guys were pre-draft darlings. Funchess is out there too haha.

At CB, I see Rasul Douglas and Prince Amukamara are out there.

I thought Funchess was injury waived?

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Hakeem Butler would be worth developing at WR, IMO. It is not like he suddenly lost all the physicality and talent that he showed in college, I have a hard time believing he cannot be coached up. Teams were caught up in whether to make him a WR or TE etc. 

We're stocked on bigs right now. I'd absolutely take him on the PS, and try the TE conversion therapy (weight gain).

1 minute ago, Archer said:

I sort of disagree about CB and WR.  I like where we are depth-wise in those areas.  But OT - we’re looking at Holden being the primary LT back-up because he’s the least sucky/ only healthy option right now.  That and maybe a third QB for the PS are the only areas I’d be looking to upgrade from other team’s cuts right now.  Of course, if another team cuts a Kenny Moore-level stud at about any position, I hope we claim him…

I think a lot of teams are looking at certain teams who have elite position units. NE IIRC are still stacked at DB, so I'd look hard at any of their DB cuts.

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

maybe for another team, but not the Colts.   I don't see him any better than Strachan or Patmon.  

Andre Smith, he was a former first round pick and has played both right tackle and left tackle, released by the Ravens. Would he be an experienced swing tackle guy we can kick the tires on?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Smith_(offensive_tackle)

Well, we got Jeff Saturday as an UDFA from Ravens, Joe Reitz when he was released by the Ravens etc., maybe??? Oh yeah, we did get Will Holden from the Ravens, didn't we? :) 

43 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Andre Smith, he was a former first round pick and has played both right tackle and left tackle, released by the Ravens. Would he be an experienced swing tackle guy we can kick the tires on?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Smith_(offensive_tackle)

Well, we got Jeff Saturday as an UDFA from Ravens, Joe Reitz when he was released by the Ravens etc., maybe??? Oh yeah, we did get Will Holden from the Ravens, didn't we? :) 

Andre Smith and Roderick Johnson would at the very least be solid depth at OT.

Archived