Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if Eason turns out to be pretty good

JMichael557

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Again I am sure they will but we are kidding ourselves if we don’t think the run game is going to struggle some from these injuries as well.  

Also next man up is a great saying but the reality is the back ups aren’t in the same league as Q and Fisher.  If they were Q wouldn’t be in line for a massive extension and Fisher wouldn’t have gotten the pretty decent contract he got despite being hurt.  

That’s not to say the back ups can’t be effective but superstars are not easily replaced.

I would expect opposing defenses to crowd the line of scrimmage and force Eason to beat them.  If I was a defensive coordinator that is what I would do until the Colts offense punched my defense in the face.  And then it might take a few punches before I changed my mind.

It could be ugly.

Or maybe some of these guys step up.  Would be nice to see and what I hope for.  

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, gspdx said:

I would expect opposing defenses to crowd the line of scrimmage and force Eason to beat them.  If I was a defensive coordinator that is what I would do until the Colts offense punched my defense in the face.  And then it might take a few punches before I changed my mind.

It could be ugly.

Or maybe some of these guys step up.  Would be nice to see and what I hope for.  

Yeah that’s pretty much what I was saying.  Don’t get me wrong, I am with you, I hope some of these guys do take advantage of this opportunity.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Again I am sure they will but we are kidding ourselves if we don’t think the run game is going to struggle some from these injuries as well.  

Also next man up is a great saying but the reality is the back ups aren’t in the same league as Q and Fisher.  If they were Q wouldn’t be in line for a massive extension and Fisher wouldn’t have gotten the pretty decent contract he got despite being hurt.  

That’s not to say the back ups can’t be effective but superstars are not easily replaced.

And again, I don't disagree but, IMHO our best option is to run the ball.  That is our strength with what remains.  Q and Fisher are irreplaceable but, it's the NFL and the "next man up" has to step up.  They make the 53 man roster and have to produce.  They will not be Q or Fisher but, Taylor, Hines and company are our BEST chance until we are healthy.  We'll have to throw the ball to keep the defense honest but, the run is what we must do.

4 minutes ago, joecolts said:

And again, I don't disagree but, IMHO our best option is to run the ball.  That is our strength with what remains.  Q and Fisher are irreplaceable but, it's the NFL and the "next man up" has to step up.  They make the 53 man roster and have to produce.  They will not be Q or Fisher but, Taylor, Hines and company are our BEST chance until we are healthy.  We'll have to throw the ball to keep the defense honest but, the run is what we must do.

Then we don’t disagree and are pretty much saying the samething just looking at different factors of it.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not looking at their records.  I didn’t say he was bad, in fact I said I would have called him good, but he wasn’t regarding as one of the top QBs in college.  That’s why he was second team all conference and not in the running for the QB awards that year.  In fact the question about him was was he another product of the Texas Tech system?  Clearly he’s proven he was darn good with how he played at the NFL level but I would say he’s a guy who is viewed as a better pro player than he was as a college player in college.

It's a true moot point on if he was better in college or the pros.  Obviously, he's had a lot more success in the pros.  So I'd go along with what you said.  But he did have a great college career.

I think you hit on the answer for why he was second team all conference - he played in that TT system in which several QBs put up numbers.  Wasn't Baker first team that year?  OK had a lot better team, and a lot better record, so it's easy to see why he was viewed as #1.

However, there's no doubt that the pros knew how good he was.  When they saw him throw at the combine, they were blown away.  He was in the top 5 prospects for that draft and KC traded up to get him.  Second QB taken.

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It's a true moot point on if he was better in college or the pros.  Obviously, he's had a lot more success in the pros.  So I'd go along with what you said.  But he did have a great college career.

I think you hit on the answer for why he was second team all conference - he played in that TT system in which several QBs put up numbers.  Wasn't Baker first team that year?  OK had a lot better team, and a lot better record, so it's easy to see why he was viewed as #1.

However, there's no doubt that the pros knew how good he was.  When they saw him throw at the combine, they were blown away.  He was in the top 5 prospects for that draft and KC traded up to get him.  Second QB taken.

Yeah but I was responding to someone asking about if their was a pro QB who had more success at the pro level more or less.  At least in terms of perception MaHomes has.

The overall point is you can’t go someone is going to be a great pro or not based on what they do or don’t do in college.  The fact that NFL teams valued MaHomes talent based on what he could be vs not being included in major college awards in college and viewed as many as a product of the Texas Tech system backs up the point I was making.  Frankly it shows NFL experts are smart enough to recognize who has NFL level talent like MaHomes does vs a system QB. 

I don't get why people are so infatuated with Eason's arm over Ehlinger's playmaking ability. Yeah he can throw a deep ball but the kid's a statue. Ehlinger has been great at Texas and I really hope he gets his shot in the preseason games because I think he will take Eason's spot.

53 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah but I was responding to someone asking about if their was a pro QB who had more success at the pro level more or less.  At least in terms of perception MaHomes has.

The overall point is you can’t go someone is going to be a great pro or not based on what they do or don’t do in college.  The fact that NFL teams valued MaHomes talent based on what he could be vs not being included in major college awards in college and viewed as many as a product of the Texas Tech system backs up the point I was making.  Frankly it shows NFL experts are smart enough to recognize who has NFL level talent like MaHomes does vs a system QB. 

So true.  But then, that same year, there were ‘experts’ that thought Mitch Trubisky was a better choice, lol!

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I don't get why people are so infatuated with Eason's arm over Ehlinger's playmaking ability. Yeah he can throw a deep ball but the kid's a statue. Ehlinger has been great at Texas and I really hope he gets his shot in the preseason games because I think he will take Eason's spot.

I totally get where you are coming from with this.

But, from my perspective a deep ball threat just adds something to an offense that no amount of "playmaking" can create. Delegate that backfield threat to your RB room and your TEs, and the Colts certainly have the capability to do just that. That's where the play calling has to be on point. I would put Reich right up there with The Chin in terms of his proven ability to do just that. I mean they won a ring in Philly with Foles because of Reich's offense. Not to say that Ehlinger doesn't have what seems to be a good command of the offense, but I also believe that Reich calls plays to put him in somewhat of a comfort zone. That's not going to get this offense playing games in January in my view. But I think he can "get them out of the building".

When a guy can throw a fastball downfield (on target) it just opens up the playbook in ways that I do not feel can be understated. It keeps defenses from cheating on the long ball. If Eason can navigate the pocket and manage the blitz, things could get really interesting with this offense. I think the other part of this has to do with the fact that Wentz can also bomb it. I am of the opinion also that Wentz has been favoring that foot for a long time because his plant has always been a little off, and it causes jumped routes and also causes him to sail the long ball. If you really watch film of him, you will see it. So on that note, it keeps the rest of the offense somewhat on the same page with those two trading reps, even though Wentz has more mobility. See something you don't like, pull it down. That's also got to do with reads as well but with Eason, I think you install a bit more check down stuff and don't get too exotic and it almost creates the same effect. Almost...

Long story short I don't think you take the long ball out of the play book almost entirely. You're talking about a situation where you're allowing a defense to cheat on every play because the QB isn't going to run for 60-70 yards a game.

1 hour ago, JoeThornburg said:

I totally get where you are coming from with this.

But, from my perspective a deep ball threat just adds something to an offense that no amount of "playmaking" can create. Delegate that backfield threat to your RB room and your TEs, and the Colts certainly have the capability to do just that. That's where the play calling has to be on point. I would put Reich right up there with The Chin in terms of his proven ability to do just that. I mean they won a ring in Philly with Foles because of Reich's offense. Not to say that Ehlinger doesn't have what seems to be a good command of the offense, but I also believe that Reich calls plays to put him in somewhat of a comfort zone. That's not going to get this offense playing games in January in my view. But I think he can "get them out of the building".

When a guy can throw a fastball downfield (on target) it just opens up the playbook in ways that I do not feel can be understated. It keeps defenses from cheating on the long ball. If Eason can navigate the pocket and manage the blitz, things could get really interesting with this offense. I think the other part of this has to do with the fact that Wentz can also bomb it. I am of the opinion also that Wentz has been favoring that foot for a long time because his plant has always been a little off, and it causes jumped routes and also causes him to sail the long ball. If you really watch film of him, you will see it. So on that note, it keeps the rest of the offense somewhat on the same page with those two trading reps, even though Wentz has more mobility. See something you don't like, pull it down. That's also got to do with reads as well but with Eason, I think you install a bit more check down stuff and don't get too exotic and it almost creates the same effect. Almost...

Long story short I don't think you take the long ball out of the play book almost entirely. You're talking about a situation where you're allowing a defense to cheat on every play because the QB isn't going to run for 60-70 yards a game.

Here’s the thing though, the ball has to be on target otherwise it’s just a waste. 

Also, I’d take Mahomes’, Josh Allen’s or Lamar Jackson’s playmaking abilities 10/10 times rather than them being able to throw an extra 10 yards deeper. From

my perspective their abilities give their teams something a cannon arm never will be able to. 

Sorry, on writing on the phone sucks, so I’ll elaborate later. 

13 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Maybe because there is a long list of the greatest QB's being statues.

They throw accurately, on time, into tight windows. It really is that simple.

But hey, let's get excited about your rookie. Go Sam!

I truly hope Eason builds on a solid day yesterday (per reports) and fills the needed role for a few weeks

If he develops into something special for the Colts its a WIN that we all would want.

If he shows well in preseason, and keeps getting better,  he is an asset for this roster.

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

My question was about whether an average to slightly above average college QB had made a sudden leap to obvious star at the pro level. Mahomes was a very good to great college QB, he doesn't count. 

On 8/2/2021 at 7:21 AM, Colt.45 said:

From the college games I watched, I would take Ehlinger over Eason. He doesn't have the fantastic upside of Eason but I saw him trade blows with Murray and best him. I saw him go toe to toe with Burrow in the season when Burrow was a god. When it comes to the tape, I don't think Eason can match Ehlinger, when it comes to big game performance, performances against quality D1 schools, will to win, those intangibles (and heck even the tangibles), I think Ehlinger was the better guy in college.

It's all subjective of course but that first OU/Texas game in 2018, Ehlinger wasn't losing that game. When Ballard said the things he said about Ehlinger post-draft, I knew instantly what he meant, whatever 'it' is, the kid has it. 

Now, sure Eason has the upside, and maybe he has a Josh Allen transformation (though Allen always had that FACT that he could scramble as a fallback and Eason isnt really a scrambler) but right now, the only thing Eason has over Ehlinger is the eye test. He looks the part (whatever the heck that means) and carries a rocket for an arm, and people have been tantalized by him since high school though not a single coach has been able to unlock that magic apple in the kid, we will see.

You don't know what Eason IS Today so IMO, your argument is moot.

32 minutes ago, King Colt said:

How long will it take for this Colts disorganization take to make a decision on the QB spot. %$^& or get off the pot.

They have made it clear it’s Easons to lose. Now if in three weeks he looks bad in preseason and isn’t improving then we can have a conversation if Wentz time line will be longer.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

How long will it take for this Colts disorganization take to make a decision on the QB spot. %$^& or get off the pot.

More embarrassing babble from The King. 

The answer — known seemingly to all except you — is until after the pre-season games.  At that point, we will know more about about Wentz, about Eason, and about possible other QB’s from other teams that we may or may not have interest in. 

That’s less than four weeks.   Can you wait that long?   Sorry, you’re going to have to. 

I am not a big fan of:

• Picking up some guy who didn't make a team after cuts
  • Trading for a guy a team doesn't even think is good enough to be their backup
  • Spending draft picks

I just don't know who out there is going to be better without costing more than I would be interested in paying.

We will just have to wait and see if Eason looks any good at all and if there is some indication of when Wentz will be back.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Funny the media goes directly to what if we start 0-5. What if Eason is actually good. 

The Chargers had a poor record under Herbert. The Colts had a poor record under 18. If the QB is good, he's good. It's future proofing that counts at that point.

It feels a bridge away. Wentz might miss 0 games or just a single game and this talk evaporates but I really hope Eason shows himself to be like Herbert. It would make me happy.

14 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The Chargers had a poor record under Herbert. The Colts had a poor record under 18. If the QB is good, he's good. It's future proofing that counts at that point.

It feels a bridge away. Wentz might miss 0 games or just a single game and this talk evaporates but I really hope Eason shows himself to be like Herbert. It would make me happy.

If Eason is good I am confident this team will have a good record. We have to much talent. Now that can change with injuries to key players.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

If Eason is good I am confident this team will have a good record. We have to much talent. Now that can change with injuries to key players.

The Chargers had/have a lot of talent too even with all the injuries they had last year. I guess the kicker was the coaching....theirs was terrible. And yes their O-line was also putrid though Herbert still performed. 

I would hope so but we've not seen our pass rush in real time. Our secondary (read: corners) are still a question mark. We have a lot of POTENTIAL but we're counting on rookies being good, and on young players taking a big step forward. It's to be seen to be believed. We'll see.

26 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The Chargers had/have a lot of talent too even with all the injuries they had last year. I guess the kicker was the coaching....theirs was terrible. And yes their O-line was also putrid though Herbert still performed. 

I would hope so but we've not seen our pass rush in real time. Our secondary (read: corners) are still a question mark. We have a lot of POTENTIAL but we're counting on rookies being good, and on young players taking a big step forward. It's to be seen to be believed. We'll see.

They had a terrible defense. If our defense plays great and Eason has to play a game or two all he will need to do is not make mistakes. Reich will need to have a good game plan in place not to put too much pressure on him.

2 hours ago, gspdx said:

I am not a big fan of:

• Picking up some guy who didn't make a team after cuts
  • Trading for a guy a team doesn't even think is good enough to be their backup
  • Spending draft picks

I just don't know who out there is going to be better without costing more than I would be interested in paying.

We will just have to wait and see if Eason looks any good at all and if there is some indication of when Wentz will be back.

You understand that if we do this the player we’d bring in would be viewed as better than what we have — right?

It would be viewed that Eason flunked his audition and we’d want a better backup — right?

Just want to make sure we’re all on the same page….. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

They had a terrible defense. If our defense plays great and Eason has to play a game or two all he will need to do is not make mistakes. Reich will need to have a good game plan in place not to put too much pressure on him.

You make “not make mistakes” sound easy.  Like anyone can do that, sure, no problem. 

It’s only one of the hardest things to do.   If it were that easy every backup would win their few starts.  “Hey, just don’t make mistakes!”

It’s INCREDIBLY hard…..

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Easier said than done.  

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

More embarrassing babble from The King. 

The answer — known seemingly to all except you — is until after the pre-season games.  At that point, we will know more about about Wentz, about Eason, and about possible other QB’s from other teams that we may or may not have interest in. 

That’s less than four weeks.   Can you wait that long?   Sorry, you’re going to have to. 

An old proverb "He who hesitates is lost." People put in charge are paid to do one thing above all, make decisions. For obvious reasons you have never been paid to make decisions.

16 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It's Easons job until Wentz is healthy.   They have been pretty clear about that

Really?

17 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

They have made it clear it’s Easons to lose. Now if in three weeks he looks bad in preseason and isn’t improving then we can have a conversation if Wentz time line will be longer.

You miss the point and that is the current candidates are in no way favored to be able to get the job done. In other words the pick is the lesser of the  bums.  The Colts are stuck in the mud and they know it. If Rivers 39 yrs. old, was not coaching they would be begging him to return.  Maybe their thinking is the tallest guy is the most qualified for the job. Very sad. Where's Osweiler when you need him?

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You understand that if we do this the player we’d bring in would be viewed as better than what we have — right?

It would be viewed that Eason flunked his audition and we’d want a better backup — right?

Define better - we don't lose as bad?  I don't want the Colts spending money or draft picks on a guy that isn't going to help generate more wins.  Now if Eason is a complete flop and Wentz won't be back for an extended period we should take a look.  But in my mind draft picks are more valuable than an extra win or 2 this season in the long run.  Again - just my opinion.

I just think the possibilities of who we could bring in that could actually help produce wins is pretty small.  And would be somewhat costly.  Thinking about a Mariota type guy.  Somebody with a bit of a proven record with some success.

And I don't think Eason flunking this audition this training camp is the end for him.  He might as well be a rookie that we are asking to be a starter week one.  

So in my mind it all depends...

28 minutes ago, King Colt said:

An old proverb "He who hesitates is lost." People put in charge are paid to do one thing above all, make decisions. For obvious reasons you have never been paid to make decisions.

A decision has been made.  Based on the current situation we are not going to panic.  A less known quote from Shaq "Generals don't panic; then the troops never panic."

3 hours ago, gspdx said:

Define better - we don't lose as bad?  I don't want the Colts spending money or draft picks on a guy that isn't going to help generate more wins.  Now if Eason is a complete flop and Wentz won't be back for an extended period we should take a look.  But in my mind draft picks are more valuable than an extra win or 2 this season in the long run.  Again - just my opinion.

I just think the possibilities of who we could bring in that could actually help produce wins is pretty small.  And would be somewhat costly.  Thinking about a Mariota type guy.  Somebody with a bit of a proven record with some success.

And I don't think Eason flunking this audition this training camp is the end for him.  He might as well be a rookie that we are asking to be a starter week one.  

So in my mind it all depends...

If Eason flunks the 3 game pre-season he is likely going back to the practice squad and we are likely trading for a new backup who may or may not start the regular season depending on how Wentz is recovering.    Someone like Mariotta would be fine.  And with a roster seemingly as good as this one is,  Ballard will be compelled to try to find a better back-up if Eason can't measure up.     

History says if you can't do well in pre-season,  you're not suddenly going to do better in regular season games which are dramatically harder and more difficult than pre-season.    Ballard would make a move.

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

Really?

Actually,  I have been paid to make decisions.    And I was paid rather well.    For 30 years.     That's why I'm comfortably retired,  but thanks for asking!      :thmup:   

And yes,  Reich just said the other day,  this is Eason's team for now.    And the "for now" part is read by all to mean after the third pre-season game when cut-downs are due.    That's when the price DROPS and the best deals are made.

You want a trade today.   In the NFL,  that's called panic buying,  something which Ballard does not do.   He is remarkably patient.  

Clearly, you've never made decisions for a living!    

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Eason flunks the 3 game pre-season he is likely going back to the practice squad and we are likely trading for a new backup who may or may not start the regular season depending on how Wentz is recovering.    Someone like Mariotta would be fine.  And with a roster seemingly as good as this one is,  Ballard will be compelled to try to find a better back-up if Eason can't measure up.     

History says if you can't do well in pre-season,  you're not suddenly going to do better in regular season games which are dramatically harder and more difficult than pre-season.    Ballard would make a move.

And if Wentz is planned to be back by week 2 what do you think?  Or do you think that has no bearing on the decision by Ballard?  It sounds like you are saying regardless of the Wentz situation if Eason isn't seen as being ready to start week 1 that we spend some draft picks and/or money to go find a new backup for the year.  I would not pretend to know enough of what Ballard's plan is to make that kind of statement.  And neither do you.  You can say you think that is what will happen and you might be right.  But you don't know anymore than the rest of us about what Ballard's plan is.

I never said I was predicting what Ballard would do.  I said I wouldn't be a fan of bringing in some guy depending on how the situation with Wentz plays out.  That is my opinion.

I would also say history has shown it can be difficult to bring some guy in who hasn't been on this team and expect him to step into the starting QB job and be successful.  

And I must say your original response to me was very condescending sounding.  You have lots of good info and insight, but I probably wouldn't listen to you because of your "superior" approach.  I just wonder if you talk to people like that in person.

Archived