Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49ers choosing between Lance and Jones

Who do you think the Niners *WILL* pick at #3?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think the Niners *WILL* pick at #3?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2021 at 07:00 PM

They have already made their decision. For the life of me I cannot imagine them trading 3 first round picks + and not knowing who they are trading up for. And if this is the case, it's very possible noone knows and everybody's guessing... I include the Rapoports and Schefters of the world. Just look at how the 49ers have operated so far - they are extremely well buttoned up organization, very similar to the Colts. The biggest moves of their last 2 off-seasons were hidden and secret until the moment they actually happened. Neither Schefter, nor Rapoport, nor any of their beat reporters knew anything about the Buckner trade until it happened. Neither Schefter, nor Rapoport, nor any of their beat reporters knew they were trying to trade up to 3 until it actually happened. None of them knows anything. At least that's what I think. 

My personal guess continues to be - Fields or Lance. From the start I've been saying that I think Lance fits best what Shannahan wants to do, but Fields is a close enough second that his pedigree and accuracy might make it a wash and they can very well pick him and be justified. 

This whole saga has been fascinating. 

I feel so bad for SF fans if they take Jones. He needs to have everything perfect for him. I can understand Lance. They are raving how smart he is and he can sit behind Jimmy G for  a year.

I am really confused why Fields is getting so much hate and the media propping up Jones so much. Jones even has a DUI on his record.

If they don’t take Fields he will be a falcon, patriot, or Bronco.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

I feel so bad for SF fans if they take Jones. He needs to have everything perfect for him. I can understand Lance. They are raving how smart he is and he can sit behind Jimmy G for  a year.

I am really confused why Fields is getting so much hate and the media propping up Jones so much. Jones even has a DUI on his record.

If they don’t take Fields he will be a falcon, patriot, or Bronco.

I saw an article on ESPN that the Patriots are inquiring about trading up if Fields drops to 6/7

Look at this:

I swear, this cannot be real?!? I call absolute and utter B S ! Yeah, they've had 3 months after the season (and the full college season before that) to watch all the QBs... but they scouted just Mac Jones and decided to trade up for him... and then they decided to go over the tape of other QBs and now they are having a tougher decision and are going back and forth. Who the hell believes this? This is the biggest pile of bull crap I've seen in this sort of reporting. Does Schefter even believe himself? Is he being fed that nonsense? Is he making it up? Cuz if an NFL FO is operating like this, none of their decisionmakers deserve to have a job in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Look at this:

I swear, this cannot be real?!? I call absolute and utter B S ! Yeah, they've had 3 months after the season (and the full college season before that) to watch all the QBs... but they scouted just Mac Jones and decided to trade up for him... and then they decided to go over the tape of other QBs and now they are having a tougher decision and are going back and forth. Who the hell believes this? This is the biggest pile of bull crap I've seen in this sort of reporting. Does Schefter even believe himself? Is he being fed that nonsense? Is he making it up? Cuz if an NFL FO is operating like this, none of their decisionmakers deserve to have a job in the NFL. 

From what I read I think it was a todd McShay article but not 100% on that is kyle shanahan wants Mac Jones, while the 49ers scouting department wants Trey Lance. I don't get it though 

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

From what I read I think it was a todd McShay article but not 100% on that is kyle shanahan wants Mac Jones, while the 49ers scouting department wants Trey Lance. I don't get it though 

I really really hope they don't leave Fields within the Pats reach. This would be criminal... 

12 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

wow ....now i'm just imagining us not getting wentz and from what i heard we were planning to trade up in this years draft i mean who would we have been looking at i wonder?

I think Ballard would have wanted Fields & Frank may have fallen for Lance since he comes from the same school as Wentz.

15 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I think Ballard would have wanted Fields & Frank may have fallen for Lance since he comes from the same school as Wentz.

From what I am reading Lance intelligence is off the chart.  He does a lot of things Reich wants his QB to do and that is making changes at the LOS. Frank would also love Fields accuracy and toughness. I don’t think we could of went wrong with either one. Lance hasn’t played as much so that might of been infesting.

If the pats get fields with all those weapons they picked up in FA watch out.

There’s no way that:

1. This decision isn’t already made

2. The 49ers traded 3 first round picks for a younger Garropolo 

Of the QBs after Lawrence and Wilson, Lance has the highest upside. He has the chance to be the Watson, Allen, And Jackson of his team. A dual threat game wrecker at QB. But he is also super smart and doesn’t turn the ball over a bunch.

That’s who you give up multiple 1st round picks for.

This whole episode is them pandering to the fan base.  They moved up for Jones.  The fan base freaked out.  It's not hard to act like you're doing due diligence from that point but I think they have known all along who their guy is.

If you reloaded the drafting of Brees he would go in the top of that draft.  In spite of size concerns, arm strength concerns, marginal athletic ability, etc etc.  Because he can read and dish it fast to the right guy.  No matter how you try to change QB the ball in flight is faster than anybody's run speed.  Pocket QBs have things a bit harder early on but if they survive to that savvy vet stage you have a long term answer protected by the rules to help ensure a long career.

2 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

If you reloaded the drafting of Brees he would go in the top of that draft.  In spite of size concerns, arm strength concerns, marginal athletic ability, etc etc.  Because he can read and dish it fast to the right guy.  No matter how you try to change QB the ball in flight is faster than anybody's run speed.  Pocket QBs have things a bit harder early on but if they survive to that savvy vet stage you have a long term answer protected by the rules to help ensure a long career.

Exactly! Mobile guys are good but pocket guys can still do whatever you need as an offense unless you want to be a run dominant team. 

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

I think Jones will be the next AJ McCarron.

I couldn’t disagree more. 

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Exactly! Mobile guys are good but pocket guys can still do whatever you need as an offense unless you want to be a run dominant team. 

I couldn’t disagree more. 

The thing is a guy like Jones everything will have to be perfect. Plays have to be executed perfect because he doesn’t have the skills to improvise. I can’t tell you how frustrating it was with the colts even with rivers hearing Reich say players just didn’t execute. Having a guy that can go off script when needed is huge when plays break down. Because players aren’t going to execute every play perfect.

23 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The thing is a guy like Jones everything will have to be perfect. Plays have to be executed perfect because he doesn’t have the skills to improvise. I can’t tell you how frustrating it was with the colts even with rivers hearing Reich say players just didn’t execute. Having a guy that can go off script when needed is huge when plays break down. Because players aren’t going to execute every play perfect.

Why do you think plays have to be perfect for him. That doesn’t make sense to me?

It's lying season too in the NFL.

My gut feeling is 49er's are trying to keep folks off the scent/trail.  They eventually select Fields, trade Jimmy G to the Patriots for a 2nd round pick (with Pats first trying/hoping to only surrender a #3).

I can't see them trading up to the 3rd spot, then drafting a QB to sit...  can't see it.

Mac Jones has surfaced as the clear favorite accoring to bet markets. Right now Jones is at -400, Trey Lance is at +400 and Justin Fields is at +500.

I'm still in disbelief... but those odds are staggering and at this point I guess it will be surprise if it's not Mac Jones. 

Wonder where Lance will go if they do take Jones. Jones is not a upgrade over Jimmy. Jimmy injury history though maybe makes it a upgrade. Saw a tweet that Atlanta might be set on Pitts. My guess is Lance and fields go to NE and maybe Denver. I wonder if the Panthers regret trading for Darnold. Seems like maybe they should of waited until the draft board fell to make that trade. 5 QB going that early will just push some good players down the board for the colts. It’s goinf to be funny to see SF Twitter if they pick Jones. It will be a total meltdown.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Nothing happened, just mixed reporting coming in. Probably more smokescreens...

What's the chance it's all a directive from above - make the pick as murky as possible to generate interest and suspense for the draft. If it's not Mac Jones, this has been one of the wildest smoke screens mixed in with smoke signals mixed in with woo I've ever seen in the league. This is bonkers. 

Just now, stitches said:

What's the chance it's all a directive from above - make the pick as murky as possible to generate interest and suspense for the draft. If it's not Mac Jones, this has been one of the wildest smoke screens mixed in with smoke signals mixed in with woo I've ever seen in the league. This is bonkers. 

There's also the report that they called the Packers about Aaron Rodgers, and possibly made a huge offer that was turned down. If that happened in the last two weeks, maybe it signals they're not "Vontae Mack, no matter what" on Jones at #3.

27 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Now the big media guys are saying the niners tried to trade for Aaron Rodgers yesterday. Lol. What is going on in SF. Your picking at 3. There is no reason to create this much chaos unless your organization really is in chaos.

Buyer's remorse.  They thought they liked a Qb before they made the trade up, now having second thoughts.  Just speculating.

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

What happened? Did I miss something?

People making mountains out of secretive molehills.

Kyle Shanahan has been very secretive as he traveled around the country watching the draft eligible quarterbacks during their respective pro days. Shanahan prefers evaluation of game tape over attending pro days, so it's likely he had already made his choice and his pro day tour was about getting as much information as possible.

It would be a surprise if Shanahan changed his opinions and draft board after watching the prospects in person as it seems to be suggested by media reports. My guess is there are only two (maybe 3) people in SF that really know the answer. Kyle Shanahan, and John Lynch. The potential 3rd person? Maybe, Mike Shanahan. A lot of other teams are doing it similarly pre-draft. Minimal staff knowing the answer.

If it's not Jones, I see the Pats furiously trying to reel him in somehow. If it is Jones, I see the Pats making a play at Jimmy G.

We'll know tonight.

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

People making mountains out of secretive molehills.

Kyle Shanahan has been very secretive as he traveled around the country watching the draft eligible quarterbacks during their respective pro days. Shanahan prefers evaluation of game tape over attending pro days, so it's likely he had already made his choice and his pro day tour was about getting as much information as possible.

It would be a surprise if Shanahan changed his opinions and draft board after watching the prospects in person as it seems to be suggested by media reports. My guess is there are only two (maybe 3) people in SF that really know the answer. Kyle Shanahan, and John Lynch. The potential 3rd person? Maybe, Mike Shanahan. A lot of other teams are doing it similarly pre-draft. Minimal staff knowing the answer.

If it's not Jones, I see the Pats furiously trying to reel him in somehow. If it is Jones, I see the Pats making a play at Jimmy G.

We'll know tonight.

Yeah, I assumed so too... that's why I was reluctant to believe the reports about Mac Jones from the start until... yesterday, when my shell started to crack but... I still was in disbelief. I just thought - nobody knows, 49ers are super secretive just like the Colts - nobody knew about the Buckner trade before it happened, nobody knew about them trading up before it happened... I don't see why they would all of a sudden start leaking real information now. That's why I've been assuming it's Lance or Fields... 1. they are better prospects and 2. they will do much more for Shannahan's system than Mac Jones.

But again... who knows.

Archived