Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich talks Wentz with Bill Polian

I hate the coach speak lol...

It would be nice to hear him say something like "we're going to open things up more this year".

Instead, we heard "we're going to play within ourselves"

I've said for a while I think Frank slow rolls CW. I just hope it's not too slow. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It would be nice to hear him say something like "we're going to open things up more this year".

I've said for a while I think Frank slow rolls CW. I just hope it's not too slow. 

This was only a 2 minute segment of this  interview. He was on a long time and talked about a lot of different things.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This was only a 2 minute segment of this  interview. He was on a long time and talked about a lot of different things.

And I'd bet 99% was coach speak. I've listened to a ton of his interviews the last 3 years. Doesn't change much.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It’s obvious with Mack being back that wentz will be a game manager the first couple games and slowly start to open up the offense. 

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

It’s obvious with Mack being back that wentz will be a game manager the first couple games and slowly start to open up the offense. 

What does re-signing Mack have anything to do with how they utilize Wentz?

14 minutes ago, Shive said:

What does re-signing Mack have anything to do with how they utilize Wentz?

It shows they are all in on running the football. Drafting Taylor last year made it seem like they were all in on the run game . That is how rivers had a bounce back year . We will be a heavy ground n pound team even with wentz .

25 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

It shows they are all in on running the football. Drafting Taylor last year made it seem like they were all in on the run game . That is how rivers had a bounce back year . We will be a heavy ground n pound team even with wentz .

And we should be. It’s one of the things our linemen do best, and it’s far easier compared to blocking for passing downs. If we have any rookies playing it will benefit them as well.

I don't Wish Frank said anything to placate me or to explain how his offense will work from the get go. 
 And when speaking of playing within our offense it only means to me, that he expects his QB to protect the football. THAT is rule #1 for All QB's all the time. To Manage that.
 Like 33tds 7 int.'s. And the way we should run the football Wentz should be in a great position to be efficient. By seasons end...?

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Honestly I'm ok with Wentz being the game manager unless we need him to be more.   If we can win the game by running the ball down their throats I'm all for it.  But sometimes it doesn't work like that and your QB has to make some plays.  So hopefully Carson can make the plays when they are called for.  

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

Frank has been saying that since before day 1.  Nothing new.

I went back and watched some videos of Carson and when he was at NDSU they had a dominate run game and he excelled with play action. He was also able to carry them with his arm when needed. Watching some of his Philly tape it's clear he has great arm talent and is an intelligent player. It appeared the team around him last year was not very good and he felt the need to take too many chances and try to do too much. If he can get back to taking what's there and letting his teammates help him I think he'll be a great QB again.

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I don't think Mack has anything to do with that. He might not even be ready the first couple games.

Wentz can excel in a run first scheme.  In 2017 he was widly regarded as NFL MVP before he got hurt.  The Eagles were a top 5 rushing team in the NFL.   If I remember correctly they were 3rd in total yards on the ground as well as top 5 in almost every team rushing category.  

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

If we have a preseason this year, I think Reich let's him play more in the pre-season than normal to get that confidence back within him. I don't think we're going to slow roll Wentz when we are trying to win a SB & risk losing games IMO

On 3/18/2021 at 8:54 AM, coming on strong said:

I said in several threads I see Reich slow rolling Wentz with run heavy and possession passes. 

I just hope is not to slow of a roll.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:52 AM, Colts1324 said:

If we have a preseason this year, I think Reich let's him play more in the pre-season than normal to get that confidence back within him. I don't think we're going to slow roll Wentz when we are trying to win a SB & risk losing games IMO

IDK. We'll see, but I'd bet a lot that Reich slow rolls things regardless of preseason or not.

On 3/17/2021 at 9:23 PM, EastStreet said:

No I love what he said , we need to be who we are not throw it 50+ times a game , play good defense, run the ball and make the smart throws 

On 3/21/2021 at 5:20 PM, jbaron04 said:

No I love what he said , we need to be who we are not throw it 50+ times a game , play good defense, run the ball and make the smart throws 

I'm not asking for us to throw 50+. You can be a balanced O, and still be more open. We had small flashes of being more open last year (and I'm not just talking when we were down), but overall we were pretty bland on O. A bland O will help you win vs bad teams (which we played a lot of), but you need to be capable of being dynamic when you play better teams, and certainly in the playoffs.

We just need more than one deep shot a game, and not just when we are down. To be as simplistic as I can be, we simply need to make teams defend the entire field.

As far as our D goes, our D was bottom half of the league the last half of the year when we started playing decent and good QBs. Our pass D went from top 5 to 20ish really fast. At least our run D maintained. Given our existing question marks and departures from our front 7, not sure our run D won't take a hit this year.

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not asking for us to throw 50+. You can be a balanced O, and still be more open. We had small flashes of being more open last year (and I'm not just talking when we were down), but overall we were pretty bland on O. A bland O will help you win vs bad teams (which we played a lot of), but you need to be capable of being dynamic when you play better teams, and certainly in the playoffs.

We just need more than one deep shot a game, and not just when we are down. To be as simplistic as I can be, we simply need to make teams defend the entire field.

As far as our D goes, our D was bottom half of the league the last half of the year when we started playing decent and good QBs. Our pass D went from top 5 to 20ish really fast. At least our run D maintained. Given our existing question marks and departures from our front 7, not sure our run D won't take a hit this year.

Most defense can’t stop a top Qb in the nfl consistently , yea we need to take more than 1 deep shot a game and I think we will but I would like to see the PA executed a lot better. I feel like we haven’t had PA in forever 

7 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Most defense can’t stop a top Qb in the nfl consistently , yea we need to take more than 1 deep shot a game and I think we will but I would like to see the PA executed a lot better. I feel like we haven’t had PA in forever 

All in all, it feels like we've been absent PA, RPO, deep game, etc., for a long time lol. 

I do think we'll see more of all of those things. I do think they'll slow roll Wentz early though. I just hope 1) he looks good early, and 2) they don't go too slow. 

I just want good balance, and to make the Ds defend every inch of the field.

45 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

This is true. The only reason reason the Bucs had so much success against Mahomes was KC oline injuries. It would of been totally different if they had been healthy on the oline.

On 3/17/2021 at 9:23 PM, EastStreet said:

Except for Arians, aren’t they all “coach speaking”?  Well, maybe not BB who’s No speak.  

19 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Except for Arians, aren’t they all “coach speaking”?  Well, maybe not BB who’s No speak.  

Unfortunately most coaches coach-speak. Anytime any coach says somethings that's remotely true-to-life, players cry, the media gets out their pitch forks, and the coaches get 50 lashes for not being irritatingly overly positive and pie in the sky. If they are not shooting puppy dogs and rainbows out of their backsides, there is hell to pay.

games·man·ship

/ˈɡāmzmənˌSHip/

noun

the art of winning games by using various ploys and tactics to gain a psychological advantage.

"the negotiations were primarily exercises in propaganda and gamesmanship"

I believe coach speak has a element of gamesmanship to it. 

I think I prefer a head coach that has a disciplined tongue.  

Archived