Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deshaun Watson: Trade an entire draft class for him?

danlhart87

ESPN NFL Insider Jeremy Fowler believes that if Watson is going to be moved this year, it’s more likely to come right before the draft and even laid out a scenario where an NFL team could not only offer one entire draft class, but they might even offer two entire draft classes:

“I don’t expect free agency to move anything here,” Fowler said. “Speaking to several people around the league, it’s more the NFL Draft in late April that could move the Texans. I spoke to one GM that said he expects the team to throw its entire draft or two entire drafts at Houston in the late hours of the draft saying ‘here, you can have it all if I can have your quarterback.’ Perhaps that will finally move the Texans to do something.”

https://dailysnark.com/2021/03/01/report-one-nfl-team-might-offer-two-entire-drafts-to-texans-for-deshaun-watson/

:edit: Mod edit to make clear this is a 'what if' scenario

Just now, RollerColt said:

...I just can't see a team willing to do something like that. Sure, they'd get Watson, but they'd have nothing else. One step forward, ten steps back. 

Texans would be smart to take a deal like that especially if it was from Jets or Dolphins and get your new franchise QB to build around

54 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

...I just can't see a team willing to do something like that. Sure, they'd get Watson, but they'd have nothing else. One step forward, ten steps back. 

You might be too young to remember when Mike Ditka traded all the his team's draft picks for RB Ricky Williams. Back in those days RBs had a lot of value. 

https://sports.nbcsports.com/2019/04/15/revisiting-saints-trading-entire-draft-for-ricky-williams-and-the-deals-that-almost-happened/

Two decades ago Wednesday, the New Orleans Saints made one of the craziest trades in NFL history. They traded all six 1999 draft choices and their first-round and third-round picks in 2000—eight draft choices in all—to Washington to move up seven spots in the first round of the ’99 draft to pick Texas running back Ricky Williams.

43 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You might be too young to remember when Mike Ditka traded all the his team's draft picks for RB Ricky Williams. Back in those days RBs had a lot of value. 

https://sports.nbcsports.com/2019/04/15/revisiting-saints-trading-entire-draft-for-ricky-williams-and-the-deals-that-almost-happened/

Two decades ago Wednesday, the New Orleans Saints made one of the craziest trades in NFL history. They traded all six 1999 draft choices and their first-round and third-round picks in 2000—eight draft choices in all—to Washington to move up seven spots in the first round of the ’99 draft to pick Texas running back Ricky Williams.

Oh I remember, I’m just saying that to trade two entire drafts for one single player is foolish. 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Texans would be smart to take a deal like that especially if it was from Jets or Dolphins and get your new franchise QB to build around

Without a doubt! If someone actually offers that, they’d take it without hesitation. 

• Nadine changed the title to Deshaun Watson: Trade an entire draft class for him?
8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I remember, I’m just saying that to trade two entire drafts for one single player is foolish

I agree. Giving up even one draft class is ridiculous. That is an example of mortgaging the future. It is foolish, as you said. It takes only one injury to end a player's career. 

4 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

Never mind. I just read that it didn't turn out so well.  I hope that this kind of thing doesn't happen again. 

Just think, the Texans went 4-12 with Watson. 

How would it turn out for a team to give up two drafts? 

I think two draft classes is too much to trade for anybody.  I would not have done that to get Peyton or Luck.

One draft class for Deshaun is steep, but might be worth it if a team felt they were just a QB away.  I don't know who that would be right now

18 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

I think two draft classes is too much to trade for anybody.  I would not have done that to get Peyton or Luck.

One draft class for Deshaun is steep, but might be worth it if a team felt they were just a QB away.  I don't know who that would be right now

Certainly not Luck. He never won anything. No SB, no MVP and he go the ECF once and got wiped out. Peyton would have been a different story. I wouldn't have done it with Peyton because of his age when the Colts became dominant. Brady, on the other hand, twenty years ago might have been worth something like that. But, no, not even the GOAT. I think the Colts overpaid for Wentz (the Eagle had no other offers). I think one second round pick would have been too high. One third or fourth round pick would have been more like it. I am doubtful that Wentz is every the QB he was in 2017-18.

18 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's the thing with Watson, the trade value for him is going to be so high that whatever team he's going to isn't going to be able to draft well to help build the team around him.  

That is an issue for the Texans as well.  I think they would be smart to set a more reasonable price and move on, his comments are making it hard for him to ever suit up there again.

They could fine and charge him a lot of money, but that will not help them on the field.

3 hours ago, teganslaw said:

How did it turn out for Mike Ditka? Did he regret doing it?

He certainly was not worth it. I remember Ricky Williams more as a Dolphins player than as a Saints player. I don't believe anyone in football is worth that gamble, including the greatest players of all time. 

I wonder what Saints fans thought about that. A long time ago, just before I began following football, the Vikings traded a lot to Dallas for Hershel Walker. It is believed that it was that trade that helped Dallas draft key players to help them on their way to winning 4 Super Bowls. Hershel Walker never really did much with the Vikings. He is never mentioned when we talk of the best Vikings RBs. Yet we gave up a lot for him. I would not have been pleased with that trade, as I like building through the draft. 

So, no, trading a draft class or two for one player is not smart.

Depends. If it's Seattle, sure. They could get a great exchange for Wilson and their picks would be low in every round. Chicage might as well, thinking Watson would make them a SB contender. Sound like a lot to give up, but low round picks don't have a great deal of value.

12 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Depends. If it's Seattle, sure. They could get a great exchange for Wilson and their picks would be low in every round. Chicage might as well, thinking Watson would make them a SB contender. Sound like a lot to give up, but low round picks don't have a great deal of value.

I remember during the draft when Watson came out and Chicago traded up to get the #2 pick, I was like I called it even saying that in here, laughing. Thinking I called it, this was too easy. Then I heard this - with the 2nd pick of the 2017 draft, the Chicago Bears select Mitchell Trubisky. I was like homer falling GIF

On 3/1/2021 at 9:55 PM, NFLfan said:

The Colts picked Edge the pick right before Ricky Williams too! 

WHEW! 

On 3/2/2021 at 7:35 AM, NFLfan said:

I agree. Giving up even one draft class is ridiculous. That is an example of mortgaging the future. It is foolish, as you said. It takes only one injury to end a player's career. 

I also think a lot of fans on the team would hate to be told that they'll have to skip the entire NFL draft because their organization is telling them to trust a single player they're bringing over is a good signing.

After the 4th round the rest are basically fliers, and if you pick low enough the 3rd and 4th might be that as well. With FA's and UDFA's I'd love to be a team like Chicago and make that deal. Now the thing is, why would Houston? They could get the Jet's 2 1st rounders, a second and next years 1st or 2nd rounder. I'll bet the Jags could trade their 1st pick to the Bears for every one of their picks in a second, but the Jag fans would riot..

I still think the Falcons can make a play for him by giving up Matt Ryan and 2 first round picks and call it a day. Texans would be crazy not to take it given how much they can multiply a No.3 pick and a No.4 pick in this current draft to boost the talent on their squad. Watson and Ryan both exchange domes, and if the Texans bring back Fuller and Cooks, they will have the bookend WRs for Ryan and Watson will enjoy Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley plenty. 

Or the Jets giving up Darnold, the 2nd pick in the draft and the Sehawlks #1.

Or the Dolphins QB, Tua, the #3 pick and the Phins #1 pick.

How about the Raiderrs, Carr, the Raiders #1 and #2 pick and the OT Brown. Another Carr in Houston...

2 hours ago, ColtJax said:

How about the Raiderrs, Carr, the Raiders #1 and #2 pick and the OT Brown. Another Carr in Houston...

David Carr had said Raiders should trade for Russell Wilson recently 

Thats messed up 

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

14 hours ago, ColtJax said:

I heard Colts did inquire about Carr but The Raiders weren’t interested in trading Carr away. 

Dolphins are more talented than the Jets or Raiders, IMO and with very good QB play, can get to the AFCCG.

Ok I'm going to say it as no one else seems to be....

Watson is NOT that good. Let's all get real here. This guy isn't worth near anything that is being mentioned to get him in return.

Is he worth a first round pick? YES and that's it.

As a reminder, he was on a team that went 4-12... ELITE QB's, as they are treating Watson to be, will elevate their ball clubs at least 3 wins minimum when they are on bad teams, sometimes more... Watson didn't come close to that

In the games they LOST, they were beat by an average of 10 points a game... That's two scores worse

They beat the 1-16 Jags twice, the 3-7 Lions and the 4-12 Pats... Come on?

Watson is NOT elite... He needs premiere talent around him to win... 

He is talented and a top 15 QB but he is not Elite and no one should offer elite compensation to retain him

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Watson is NOT that good. Let's all get real here. This guy isn't worth near anything that is being mentioned to get him in return.

As a reminder, he was on a team that went 4-12... ELITE QB's, as they are treating Watson to be, will elevate their ball clubs at least 3 wins minimum when they are on bad teams, sometimes more... Watson didn't come close to that

In the games they LOST, they were beat by an average of 10 points a game... That's two scores worse

He is talented and a top 15 QB but he is not Elite and no one should offer elite compensation to retain him

Watson had an MVP level season last year and he did so without Hopkins. 

He deserves the elite treatment he's getting because he is.

2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Watson had an MVP level season last year and he did so without Hopkins. 

He deserves the elite treatment he's getting because he is.

Thats your opinion. Mine is he is not. Either way,  our opinions don't mean a hill of beans...haha

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

"Watson is NOT that good" - your words. That comment there may be one of the worst takes I have ever read on here. Whether he is Elite/great or not is debatable I guess, but he is very good. Other than Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady who probably only has a year or 2 left, and maybe Wilson I can't think of another QB I would rather want than Watson. I thought Luck was slightly better but Luck retired. I would take Watson over Jackson, Jackson just has a much better team and coach.

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

@Indeeeyou are certainly entitled to your opinion about the abilities of Watson or anyone else.  I'd say that it is in the extremely small minority of most other opinions, however.  Watson is a top 5 QB in the league.  You mentioned elevating a team for 3 or more victories...he did that.  Houston was HORRIBLE last year and only won 4 games because of Watson, IMHO.  Again, you are entitled to your opinion, we all have them.  I'll side with the vast majority of NFL watchers and say Watson is incredible. 

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"Watson is NOT that good" - your words. That comment there may be one of the worst takes I have ever read on here. Whether he is Elite/great or not is debatable I guess, but he is very good. Other than Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady who probably only has a year or 2 left, and maybe Wilson I can't think of another QB I would rather want than Watson. I thought Luck was slightly better but Luck retired. I would take Watson over Jackson, Jackson just has a much better team and coach.

FTR the only current QB I would take over Watson is Mahomes. 

20 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You're on an island all alone with your opinion

Ok even though I don't feel the need to defend my position, I will anyway.

I will backtrack a bit as Watson is a good QB. He is not Elite though and I stand by that. Could he eventually be? Sure, I guess, however anyone who would be giving up an entire draft class as the original post stated is banking on him one day becoming elite and that to me is just plain stupid unless he goes to a team that has stacked talent already like the Cowboys or the Niners. 

That is really what my response truly is about. I would not give up more than a first as I don't believe that Watson is elite at this stage of his career, right or wrong

23 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Ok even though I don't feel the need to defend my position, I will anyway.

I will backtrack a bit as Watson is a good QB. He is not Elite though and I stand by that. Could he eventually be? Sure, I guess, however anyone who would be giving up an entire draft class as the original post stated is banking on him one day becoming elite and that to me is just plain stupid unless he goes to a team that has stacked talent already like the Cowboys or the Niners. 

That is really what my response truly is about. I would not give up more than a first as I don't believe that Watson is elite at this stage of his career, right or wrong

Not that you probably care about what I say but this post is a lot better. I wouldn't give up an entire draft class for Watson either. He is very good but giving up an entire draft class for him would be silly. I would shell out 2 1st round picks = this year (2021) and next year's (2022), and this year's 2nd round pick (2021) as well. After that I would have to see where the negotiations take me.

Stafford went for 2 1st round picks and a 3rd round pick but the 2 1st round picks are in 2022 and 2023. The Lions did get Goff though.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not that you probably care about what I say but this post is a lot better. I wouldn't give up an entire draft class for Watson either. He is very good but giving up an entire draft class for him would be silly. I would shell out 2 1st round picks = this year and next year's, and this year's 2nd as well. After that I would have to see where the negotiations take me.

I'm never opposed to entertaining anyone's opinions or takes on any subject pro or con vs. my own. Sometimes my head knows what I'm writing but my fingers don't translate properly on first attempt... Ha!! 

Just now, Indeee said:

I'm never opposed to entertaining anyone's opinions or takes on any subject pro or con vs. my own. Sometimes my head knows what I'm writing but my fingers don't translate properly on first attempt... Ha!! 

I actually added to my post above. Yeah I respect everyone's opinion, I was just shocked when you said Watson was not good. You clarified what you meant today though. It is all good. Looks like you just meant he is not Elite.

Watson will not suit up for the Texans this year if they don't trade him. The closer the draft gets it would make sense the Texans will move on him or dump a bunch of the clowns in the front office. Since they have been incompetents since the franchise started I feel certain they will screw this up as well. 

Considering how he's being talked about, he's overrated. He's worth multiple first round picks for sure, but I'm reading things like the Jets giving up both their 1st round picks, their second round picks and next years 1st and 2nd round picks. That's just flat out stupid! If I'm the Jets I'm offering their 1st (2nd pick in the draft), the Seahawk's #1 pick and maybe the Jets 3rd rounder and that's it. This isn't Payton Manning we're talking about. He's a good to very good quarterback, but he's not THAT good..

Archived