Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lsu’S Claiborne Wonderlic Score (Luck's Score Mentioned)

Jules

http://footballsched...-than-speed.php

edit - Article also contains info that says Luck got a 41.

:)

excerpt

"...Players scoring on the high end include Andrew Luck’s 41, which came in behind former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy at 43; his NFL career is yet to take off other than ticking off his Jets teammates last season..."

Edited by PeytonGirl
edited subject title, included relevant excerpt

Erm, it looks to me like that article misread their source:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/mar/29/shock-quarterback-froman-knows-all-the-angles/

Regarding Spokane Shock QB Adam Froman:

Throw in the fact that he ran a 4.55-second 40-yard time – Andrew Luck timed 4.59 at the scouting combine – and scored 41 on the Wonderlic test – apparently second among 2011 draft eligibles to Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy’s 43 . . . .

That's very impressive, but the Wonderlic Test is kind of a joke. It doesn't tell you anything. PM got a 26, but some say he's the smartest player to ever play the game. It's great to see that he has the intelligence, but in football, it's all about football knowledge.

i just took a sample one online. its really dumb questions

I've taken a test similar to the Wonderlic Test for the CFL Combine. I'm telling you, it's not made of dumb questions. I think you're referring to the ESPN Sample one, where the questions they showed are considered easy and medium. You have some questions that ask for the inflation of a (for example) candy bar in the last 6 months, and you must base it off graphs and numbers. The "hard" questions on the Wonderlic are tough. The easy ones are easy. Like the "Which Number comes after this one" kinda questions are easy.

The test is tough, don't get me wrong, but what does it tell the scouts... that you're book smart?

Regardless of how credible or applicable the Wonderlic is, a 41 is still a good mark. Most NFL players have degrees in random things just so they can get through school and make the pros. Luck's degree is in architectural engineering. It's impressive to be able to take those kinds of courses and still be a top notch football player.

It's a tough statement to read to me....kinda seems like they could be taking about either QB.

Guess we will know for sure sometime later.

I like nerds.

It's pretty clear the author was talking about Froman, not Luck...

I've taken a test similar to the Wonderlic Test for the CFL Combine. I'm telling you, it's not made of dumb questions. I think you're referring to the ESPN Sample one, where the questions they showed are considered easy and medium. You have some questions that ask for the inflation of a (for example) candy bar in the last 6 months, and you must base it off graphs and numbers. The "hard" questions on the Wonderlic are tough. The easy ones are easy. Like the "Which Number comes after this one" kinda questions are easy.

The test is tough, don't get me wrong, but what does it tell the scouts... that you're book smart?

I have a bunch of jokes about the CFL version of the Wonderlic, but I should probably restrain myself, eh?

BTW, I took a couple of those samples you're talking about and you're correct, they're too easy. And I'm no Mensa candidate.

I have to think Luck must have scored decently though.

Why is it so tough to get these exact scores?

Oh, I'm sure Luck did fine.

They're supposed to be confidential. Claiborne's score should never have been released in the first place. Unfortunately the NFL's idea of confidentiality seems to involve a sieve at some point in the process.

I have a bunch of jokes about the CFL version of the Wonderlic, but I should probably restrain myself, eh?

BTW, I took a couple of those samples you're talking about and you're correct, they're too easy. And I'm no Mensa candidate.

One of the questions is: How many polar bears does it take to play hockey, eh? The answers are 5, 50,500,5,000,50,000,500,000.

Dont laugh at Canada, cause it's the US that everyone's making fun of :)

I still believe the Bucs will draft him at #5. Sad enough, people who dont do well on the Wonderlic Test usually do well in the NFL.

That is because the wonderlic does not tell you much. You do not have to be a rock scientist to play in the NFL. Claiborne maybe dumb as a rock, but when it comes to football and concepts in the game he might just get it.

Any kind standardized test be it ISTEP or the Wonderlic test is pretty useless.

i just took a sample one online. its really dumb questions

Guess you didn't score so well?

Just because we think some of the questions are stupid doesn't mean the test is invalid and measuring what it is supposed to measure. And if the average score is 21 and this guy score a 4 is he a Neaderthal? Suppossedly he has been spending time in college? I would like to see more data on the test results: std deviation, etc. Is this guy's score so low it's an outlier or is the std deviation so wide he is still within 3 std deviations of the average - in other words still within a normal distribution.

Guess you didn't score so well?

Just because we think some of the questions are stupid doesn't mean the test is invalid and measuring what it is supposed to measure. And if the average score is 21 and this guy score a 4 is he a Neaderthal? Suppossedly he has been spending time in college? I would like to see more data on the test results: std deviation, etc. Is this guy's score so low it's an outlier or is the std deviation so wide he is still within 3 std deviations of the average - in other words still within a normal distribution.

i got it all right

Pat McInally was the only player to have ever scored a perfect 50, but ironically, that's frowned upon by coaches since they feel the player may outsmart the system, their authority, and step out of line. Some players miss some questions on purpose to avoid that perfect mark.

http://profootballta...his-draft-stoc/

With Luck scoring a 41, it makes you wonder if he could have done better, but intentionally chose not to.

Pat McInally was the only player to have ever scored a perfect 50, but ironically, that's frowned upon by coaches since they feel the player may outsmart the system, their authority, and step out of line. Some players miss some questions on purpose to avoid that perfect mark.

With Luck scoring a 41, it makes you wonder if he could have done better, but intentionally chose not to.

He didn't.

The report wasn't about Luck. He might have scored higher, he might have scored lower. His actual results are not known yet.

A 41 score is actually quite impressive. I think the only QB that are currently playing that scored in the 40s are: Mr. Fitzpatrick of the Bills (48); Mr. McElroy of the Jets (43); Mr. Gabbert of the Jaguars (43); and Mr. Smith of the 49ers (40).

Some other QBs of note and their scores:

Eli Manning 39

Brian Griese 39

Matt Stafford 38

Tony Romo 37

Sam Bradford 36

Christian Ponder 35

Matt Leinart 35

Aaron Rodgers 35

Tom Brady 33

Matt Ryan 32

Matt Schaub 31

Phil Rivers 30

Andy Dalton 29

Troy Aikman 29

John Elway 29

Peyton Manning 28

Drew Brees 28

Jay Cutler 26

Tim Tebow 22

Jeff George 10

http://www.nflstatan...lic-scores.html

A 41 score is actually quite impressive. I think the only QB that are currently playing that scored in the 40s are: Mr. Fitzpatrick of the Bills (48); Mr. McElroy of the Jets (43); Mr. Gabbert of the Jaguars (43); and Mr. Smith of the 49ers (40).

Eli Manning 39

Brian Griese 39

Matt Stafford 38

Tony Romo 37

Sam Bradford 36

Christian Ponder 35

Matt Leinart 35

Aaron Rodgers 35

Tom Brady 33

Matt Ryan 32

Matt Schaub 31

Phil Rivers 30

Andy Dalton 29

Troy Aikman 29

John Elway 29

Peyton Manning 28

Drew Brees 28

Jay Cutler 26

Tim Tebow 22

Jeff George 10

You cant compare the current era's prospects to those from a decade ago. There is a lot more preparation for the wonderlic now than there was 10 years ago. Guys like Brady and Peyton could have easily scored higher if they were as ready as the current prospects.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Luck, a score of 41 it's still very impressive. But when guys that should be ready and still manage to score in the single digits, that tells you a lot about their work ethic. After VY scored a 6, it was obvious that the man will be a bust in the NFL

Eli Manning 39

Brian Griese 39

Matt Stafford 38

Tony Romo 37

Sam Bradford 36

Christian Ponder 35

Matt Leinart 35

Aaron Rodgers 35

Tom Brady 33

Matt Ryan 32

Matt Schaub 31

Phil Rivers 30

Andy Dalton 29

Troy Aikman 29

John Elway 29

Peyton Manning 28

Drew Brees 28

Jay Cutler 26

Tim Tebow 22

Jeff George 10

It just shows how much the test means.. The guys with the highest scores arent very good qbs

You cant compare the current era's prospects to those from a decade ago. There is a lot more preparation for the wonderlic now than there was 10 years ago. Guys like Brady and Peyton could have easily scored higher if they were as ready as the current prospects.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Luck, a score of 41 is still very impressive. But when guys that should be ready and still manage to score in the single digits, that tells you a lot about their work ethic. After VY scored 6, it was obvious that the man will be a bust in the NFL

It could come in handy on celebrity jeopardy.

I think a score of 21 on the Wonderlic is considered average.

The Wonderlic tests have been around since the 1930s, and over time has gained a reputation of being both a valid and reliable test for intelligence.

If you are interested in reading the studies that confirm this, they are listed on the "about" tab, history sub-tab of their website.

http://www.wonderlic...bout-us/history

The Wonderlic tests do not claim to measure the aptitude of being a good NFL QB. It only claims to test for intelligence.

It should also be noted that Luck didn't score a 41.

Which is why this thread should have been deleted.

In the end he might have scored higher than 41, or lower, but the two articles linked were talking about another Quarterback and not Andrew Luck.

I don't understand. The linked article says this:

But some players with low scores, such as Dan Marino’s 16, have gone on to successful careers. Players scoring on the high end include Andrew Luck’s 41, which came in behind former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy at 43; his NFL career is yet to take off other than ticking off his Jets teammates last season.

How is that not talking about Andrew Luck and his score?

Here is another link that also says he scored a 41:

http://nflcombineres...w&l=Luck&i=8694

I don't understand. The linked article says this:

But some players with low scores, such as Dan Marino’s 16, have gone on to successful careers. Players scoring on the high end include Andrew Luck’s 41, which came in behind former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy at 43; his NFL career is yet to take off other than ticking off his Jets teammates last season.

How is that not talking about Andrew Luck and his score?

Here is another link that also says he scored a 41:

http://nflcombineres...w&l=Luck&i=8694

The first one is linking to an article about another QB

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/mar/29/shock-quarterback-froman-knows-all-the-angles/

Throw in the fact that he FROMAN ran a 4.55-second 40-yard time – Andrew Luck timed 4.59 at the scouting combine – and scored 41 on the Wonderlic test – apparently second among 2011 draft eligibles to Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy’s 43, which put McElroy in the “genius” category – and Froman tends to have a unique skill set.

Note that Luck wasn't in 2011 draft eligible class of Quartertbacks.

The 3rd link, I've never heard of the site and might be accurate and might be linking to the other two articles that were clearly talking about the other QB.

Wonderlic is a very stupid test. I scored a 38 at my school and then went on to fail College Algebra..... ugh stupid algebra.

You do bring up a crucial point ColtsMN. Do you know how many people I knew that scored well on their college entrance exams & then flunked out of their respective university their 1st semester? Too many to count. A Wonderlic high score does not guarantee NFL success anymore than a low score is indicative of an NFL bust. Too much significance is attached to this meaningless problem solving test IMO.

You do bring up a crucial point ColtsMN. Do you know how many people I knew that scored well on their college entrance exams & then flunked out of their respective university their 1st semester? Too many to count. A Wonderlic high score does not guarantee NFL success anymore than a low score is indicative of an NFL bust. Too much significance is attached to this meaningless problem solving test IMO.

seems to be the general consensus... could we ALL actually be agreeing here.??? lol