Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matthew Stafford (merge)

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Imagine thinking 'no thanks on Stafford, but let's talk about Darnold or Trubisky.' 

Darnold would be a very smart move. He might benefit from change leaving Gase and would most like cost a 3rd possibly 2nd tops.

He's only gonna cost 4.7

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad Indy didn’t deal for Stafford after seeing the cost he went for. I can’t imagine wanting to give up two 1st round picks plus more for a 33 year old QB.

Now I’m hoping this makes someone like Fields or Wilson fall just a bit due to Detroit not really needing a QB round 1 this year. Indy trading up for Fields would be huge for this franchise!

21 minutes ago, SR711 said:

This is why I never really felt it was realistic to think Stafford was coming here.  Some team (in this case Rams) was going to get so infatuated with getting this done that the price was going to be to steep for Ballard. It was just odd to me that the decision for QB and team looking to separate was made so public in this case. Only reason that would be put out by a team is to create a bidding war.

I know it’s fashionable in general to criticize the team that “sells the farm” in these types of deals, but I don’t see this deal getting the Rams a SB, especially considering competition in their own division and what realistically Matt Stafford is.

One name to keep an eye on is Matt Ryan.  He has been under the radar and I believe the Falcons are clearly ready to rebuild with a new face especially with all the QBs avaiIable at the 4th pick. Therefore, is possible that he wants to go to a place to win now and Atlanta may oblige to do right by him.

Matt Ryan stinks on ice. He is in a clear decline going into his age 36 season. Also, weaker arm than Rivers. Hard pass.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

SF might be looking for a QB in the draft too. I am going to guess we don’t going into the draft with just eason because that would telegraph what we plan to do. 

Ballard is a good GM but sometimes even the best plans don’t work. He can only do so much.

It doesn’t matter what the other teams think we do.

Let say the Jets draft a QB and the Falcons also draft a QB, time to swoop in and get Matt Ryan for a 1st rounder or Darnold for a 2nd. Might be harder for the Jets or Falcons to hard ball after they made their move, IMO.

A move up for any QB will cost us two first rounders to get ahead of SF. Let’s say we have a trade with the No.10 team in place, what’s preventing NE or SF to jump us if we show our hand before the draft? Just think about it.

This is me tonight knowing Ballard didn't give up 2 1st and more for Stafford 

Tired Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

Just now, NFLfan said:

Someone said that the Rams have not had a first round pick since drafting Goff in 2016 and will not have one until 2024. Is that an exaggeration? If not, that's awful. JMO

I think its accurate 

27 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Only for Darnold

I'm not interested in anybody else 

Watson would cost too much

Darnold would be a very smart get 

Not to mention no way the Texans trade him within the division.  

I don’t know if Darnold will be on the block.  

Signs are starting to point towards the draft which leaves me concerned about the left tackle spot.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't believe that to be true. I don't believe @Superman wrote that.

I did say it, but I was wrong because I wasn't accounting for them taking back the Stafford contract. It's more like $50m in 2022. 

And that's as of right now, and doesn't account for any of their upcoming transactions (draft picks, FA, extensions, etc.) Still, they were at less than $40m before the Goff trade. It saves them a lot of cap money.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Someone said that the Rams have not had a first round pick since drafting Goff in 2016 and will not have one until 2024. Is that an exaggeration? If not, that's awful. JMO

may well be awful, but Rams have been to the SB a lot more recently than the Colts have, and now may get there again before the Colts do

but it does appear there's been a good deal of fiscal malpractice along their way and, again, I think people need to be mindful of how much the GM and HC have their backs to the wall out there--especially Snead, who has the final say (for now)

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It doesn’t matter what the other teams think we do.

Let say the Jets draft a QB and the Falcons also draft a QB, time to swoop in and get Matt Ryan for a 1st rounder or Darnold for a 2nd. Might be harder for the Jets or Falcons to hard ball after they made their move, IMO.

A move up for any QB will cost us two first rounders to get ahead of SF. Let’s say we have a trade with the No.10 team in place, what’s preventing NE or SF to jump us if we show our hand before the draft? Just think about it.

Our hand will likely get forced to act sooner. 

Because some other QB needy team will want to do a deal much sooner than draft day.   That team’s timeline will be different than ours.   

It’s hard to control how these things play out. 

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He’s a lot like Jacoby.  A very high end backup but if he plays for an extended period of time teams figure him out.  It’s why he’s never really held a starting job for long in his career.  

he's a bridge QB, to be sure

which is still more than what the Colts currently have

Ballard's got something in the works; knowing him, it may not surface for a while

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do you guys see any trade for the colts regarding QB before FA starts? 

I would try and get something done before FA.  I think it will make attracting FA's a little harder if players think we might roll with JB, Eason or a draft pick.  Darnold is the obvious target.  His entire situation screams Ballard and the Colts.  I'm wondering if the Lions intend to keep Goff or move him for more picks and draft a QB.  I don't think that's entirely off the table.  

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I did say it, but I was wrong because I wasn't accounting for them taking back the Stafford contract. It's more like $50m in 2022. 

And that's as of right now, and doesn't account for any of their upcoming transactions (draft picks, FA, extensions, etc.) Still, they were at less than $40m before the Goff trade. It saves them a lot of cap money.

Okay, I thought their salary cap situation was as bad as the Saints' is.

Sorry, Doug. @DougDew

Just now, NFLfan said:

Why not? Just wondering.

I don't think Jared Goff is good. I think his shortcomings prevent him from ever being a really high end QB, and I don't think he would be good enough to make a difference for the Colts. And he's owed over $50m guaranteed over the next two seasons.

10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

If Lions reached out to Colts about Goff what would you guys offer?

I don't want him btw 

Nope Goff had one freak year where he was good other than that he hasn’t been good and he’s not worth near what he’s due on his contract.  Not interested.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think Jared Goff is good. I think his shortcomings prevent him from ever being a really high end QB, and I don't think he would be good enough to make a difference for the Colts. And he's owed over $50m guaranteed over the next two seasons.

Yep. He reminds me a lot of Cousins. Nice stats but not a winner. 

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

Who do yall want now that Stafford is gone 

A new thread and complete reset on the forum

There are like 4-5 Stafford thread across 3 different sub forums and another 2-3 other QB threads. To many places to check all.

I know who I think I would ant though. There is a short list of 2-3. 

Archived