Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay talks to the media

GoColts8818

I am someone can hit the tweets to back this up but here is the cliff notes:

wants TY back

acknowledged they thought about Brady this last off-season but went with Rivers because of Reich

Loves Reich and Ballard

feels like if they can get a vet QB they can get to the Super Bowl and have lots of options

did say drafting a guy and having him be the guy for the next 15 years is the best option

Andrew Luck is retired but if he wants to come back the Colts will take that phone call

need pass rusher and CB help on defense.  
Offense needs play maker at TE or WR like what KC has

Loves him some Nelson.

The Buckner trade will go down as one of the best in recent history.

2 things stud out to me, that I know "fans" would have called me outlandish things for. BUT, im happy it came from the "horses mouth".

1) TB12, Jim Irsay stated that the team "considered" TB12 BUT, Frank Riecht thought because of his prior relationship w/ Rivers (SMH) that Rivers was the best option. (SMH)

2) Areas of improvement: Jim stated on offense, a special/great TE and WR. He made reference of KC Kelce and WR Hill.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will address the 2nd statement. IF the colts want a standout TE, a position that I've been critical of for years and wanted to make known as a position of improvement (This chat crushed over Jackie Doyle as if he's some kinda Kelce or David Njoku) they should consider the TE from FLA Kyle Pitts.

(Colts fan base): There's no way Pitts will be available.

Me: Before the end of the NFL season, the OT from Oregon (Penai Sewell) was considered a Top 2 pick. Now he is being mocked outside Top 6-7. And Penai is considered the best/safe OT since the likes of Joe Thomas, Tyron Smith.

8 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Me: Before the end of the NFL season, the OT from Oregon (Penai Sewell) was considered a Top 2 pick. Now he is being mocked outside Top 6-7. And Penai is considered the best/safe OT since the likes of Joe Thomas, Tyron Smith.

If Sewell is still available around # 10, if the Colts still have their # 21 (or even if they don’t), I’d love the Colts to somehow move up and get him!

I really can't take too much out of the this. He said all the things he was supposed to say. I don't think his praise of TY really signals anything. He's going to praise him regardless, and he's not going to say "it's time to move on"... 

The only nugget I think was worth anything, was the fact they think they have a strong nucleus, and aren't close to a rebuild. 

3 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

2 things stud out to me, that I know "fans" would have called me outlandish things for. BUT, im happy it came from the "horses mouth".

1) TB12, Jim Irsay stated that the team "considered" TB12 BUT, Frank Riecht thought because of his prior relationship w/ Rivers (SMH) that Rivers was the best option. (SMH)

2) Areas of improvement: Jim stated on offense, a special/great TE and WR. He made reference of KC Kelce and WR Hill.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will address the 2nd statement. IF the colts want a standout TE, a position that I've been critical of for years and wanted to make known as a position of improvement (This chat crushed over Jackie Doyle as if he's some kinda Kelce or David Njoku) they should consider the TE from FLA Kyle Pitts.

(Colts fan base): There's no way Pitts will be available.

I'd start Eason and trade up for pitts, smith or chase. Then add a vet like Fitzpatrick,  newton, or someone as back up

I was actually very encouraged by Irsay's comments. His line of thinking was very similar to this forums. Every position he listed that is need of an upgrade is spot on. 

I'm glad they see the need at TE. I've said for months that we need a better TE. A "trio" doesn't work how it used too. Yes, the Travis Kelce's and Tyreek Hill's are hard to find. But, the reality is, until we find dynamic playmakers, KC will stomp us 8/10 times. 

I think Colts' fans are in for a surprise this off-season. Ballard and Reich are going to be Uber aggressive IMO and finish building a nucleus. 

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I was actually very encouraged by Irsay's comments. His line of thinking was very similar to this forums. Every position he listed that is need of an upgrade is spot on. 

I'm glad they see the need at TE. I've said for months that we need a better TE. A "trio" doesn't work how it used too. Yes, the Travis Kelce's and Tyreek Hill's are hard to find. But, the reality is, until we find dynamic playmakers, KC will stomp us 8/10 times. 

I think Colts' fans are in for a surprise this off-season. Ballard and Reich are going to be Uber aggressive IMO and finish building a nucleus. 

The can't really afford to be Uber aggressive 

18 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am someone can hit the tweets to back this up but here is the cliff notes:

wants TY back

acknowledged they thought about Brady this last off-season but went with Rivers because of Reich

Loves Reich and Ballard

feels like if they can get a vet QB they can get to the Super Bowl and have lots of options

did say drafting a guy and having him be the guy for the next 15 years is the best option

Andrew Luck is retired but if he wants to come back the Colts will take that phone call

need pass rusher and CB help on defense.  
Offense needs play maker at TE or WR like what KC has

Loves him some Nelson.

The Buckner trade will go down as one of the best in recent history.

Enough with the Luck talk, Irsay......LET IT GO!!! 

11 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Enough with the Luck talk, Irsay......LET IT GO!!! 

Irsay was ASKED about Luck, so he answered.  His answer was, Luck is retired.  Luck knows the Colts would welcome him back if he wants to play, but Irsay does not want the Colts to bug and become an irritant.  Thus, if Luck were to return, it would have to be of Luck’s initiative, for it’s already been made clear to him that he’d be welcome back and he knows that. 

Irsay clearly HAS let it go.  It was the asker of the question that has not.   

17 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I agree. As a label, i think getting the Stafford deal and the best pass rusher they can would be called Uber. And paying XRhodes, which could cost more than some here want.

5 minutes ago, Indeee said:

If Irsay really wanted Luck to come back he would not have payed him to stay retired... 

That's essentially what he did as who would come back and play when you are getting paid whether you play or not

They kept his rights by paying him.

Just now, Nickster said:

They kept his rights by paying him.

I get it, but there should be a different rule for this type of situation. No way would anyone come back, normally, when they are getting paid while not playing. Where's the incentive past the "I love playing the game" mantra?

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I get it, but there should be a different rule for this type of situation. No way would anyone come back, normally, when they are getting paid while not playing. Where's the incentive past the "I love playing the game" mantra?

Are you sure about the bolded statement?

There are muliti millionaires all over sports who play for comparitively very little after they cannot command large contracts any more. 

If what you say were true, why would any player not in contract year try to return from injury that year?

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mr Irsay and Mr Ballard, this is 2006 talking, go all in and get Watson. Draft picks for 1 or 2 years to get a young franchise QB is worth it. We have a solid team other than QB. Watson would put us right there. Stafford may and I would be ok with that too but Watson is top 5.

To follow this up, if we got Watson we would go 13-3 and win the division and be in the AFC Tite Game. With Stafford I would say 11-5 is feasible and a possible deep run which is better than stinking.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Are you sure about the bolded statement?

There are muliti millionaires all over sports who play for comparitively very little after they cannot command large contracts any more. 

If what you say were true, why would any player not in contract year try to return from injury that year?

Exactly, regardless of how big or small a contract is they are still getting paid. Most of these guys blow through all their money or have large families' to support or large lifestyles to support. Name me one player who has ever played without getting paid. My original point was that if Luck had no source of income(money Irsay is paying him) he might have decided to play again... 

22 minutes ago, Indeee said:

If Irsay really wanted Luck to come back he would not have payed him to stay retired... 

That's essentially what he did as who would come back and play when you are getting paid whether you play or not

First off.  He didn't pay him to stay retired.  He just didn't ask for his signing bonus back.   

Second,   letting him keep the money allowed the Colts to continue to own his rights

17 minutes ago, Indeee said:

The incentive would be to make more money with a new contract. 

12 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Exactly, regardless of how big or small a contract is they are still getting paid. Most of these guys blow through all their money or have large families' to support or large lifestyles to support. Name me one player who has ever played without getting paid. My original point was that if Luck had no source of income(money Irsay is paying him) he might have decided to play again... 

What makes you think most of these guys blow their money?  

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That is not always the case.  

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That might be the case for a lot of players but a guy like Luck, who was carrying around a flip phone for a good long time, doesn't strike me as a guy who is set on strategically needing to go after or setting up a larger financial incentive contract. Now his agent might feel differently but I don't think Luck really cares about all that. Now if he had zero income though or menial income from a civilian job as compared to an NFL job that might be incentive to play again  

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

What makes you think most of these guys blow their money?  

That is not always the case.  

Umm because it's a documented league issue, so much so that the league has actually started organizations within the league to help players financially make better decisions with their money. This type of program is actually a large part of the rookie symposiums each year

Just a crazy thought but is it possible that Luck has indicated he might want to return ? If it's true that the Colts "pushed Rivers out the door" , could it be Luck ? Probably a long shot but certainly would explain the sudden River's announcement.

12 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Irsay is right to put up out the "hey, if you wanted this gig..". We should also want him.. despite any hard feelings.

I simply can't see him coming back. And he's no dummie. He's not broke.

Yeah I read later on Twitter some of the local media guys bullied Bowan into asking the Luck question.  I don’t think anyone thinks he’s coming back.

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Just a crazy thought but is it possible that Luck has indicated he might want to return ? If it's true that the Colts "pushed Rivers out the door" , could it be Luck ? Probably a long shot but certainly would explain the sudden River's announcement.

Good Heavens please let this be true.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  Either WR or TE, not just WR.  We can look for a TE and that will help the receiving group.  And we still have Campbell as a possibility at WR so it makes more sense to get the playmaker this year at TE.

I don't think it matters if we get a TE or a WR, I just think we need someone who commands a double team on most downs.

That will open up the offense tremendously.  Doubles limit the creativity of the defense.    Maybe Campbell, but I doubt it.

I listened to the entire Irsay presser, and here are my take aways ...

- Surprisingly Irsay admitted that they (Irsay, Reich, Ballard) have had discussions about if we’d done this or that differently, but he feels that, to be clear, Colts would not be where they are without Reich and Ballard.  My takeaway from this, Irsay has questioned some of the in game decisions, just like a lot of us have, but that he remains FIRMLY behind the coach & GM. 

- He loves TY, thinks TY still has a lot to contribute, and he’d like to have him back. BUT TY’s return is purely about whether or not the team can re-sign TY to an affordable team friendly deal.  Whether that can happen, that’s between Ballard and TY & TY’s agent. 

- QB position, Irsay would prefer a drafted 15 year type of starter,  that he thinks the team is ready to win now, though, so if they can get the right veteran that can step in and go and be the guy for the next SEVERAL years, then that is A-OK by Irsay. 

In a post previous, I relayed what he said about Luck, that if Luck were to want to come back, Luck knows the Colts door is open, but his coming back has to be of his own volition.  Colts aren’t going to try to pester him into returning. 

- He loves Darius and Big Q.  Likens getting those two at the same time to the Bears getting Gayle Sayer & Butkus. Thinks that when you talk about OGs, there was John Hannah and now Biq Q (comparison I made about Big Q before he was drafted).   Irsay thinks, barring injury, there’s no reason Big Q won’t be a 10+ time All-Pro HOF guy.  I agree.  

- He does think the Colts need a couple more big play guys, a WR & TE, leaning on the KC example.  Did not say anything to rule out that Campbell might be able to fill the dynamic WR role, but clearly he feels we still need to find the dynamic TE. 

So there you have it.  In addition to Irsay thinking they have a core right now that is ready to contend for a SB, the rest of my post is my take on the key points of what Irsay had to say.  :) 

I think people are getting too hung up on the Luck thing.  Irsay was basically asked if Luck wanted to comeback would you take that phone call.  He said yes but also pointed out Luck is retired and they wouldn’t try to get him to comeback.  I don’t think anyone really thinks he’s even considering coming back.

5 hours ago, dw49 said:

image.png.d1a087a41ace005db9028133a46eeea5.png

image.png

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Luck wanted to come back would you want him back? I would in a second. It probably won't happen but just asking.

It's not going to happen so the point is moot. But I agree he's a better option than anything else on the table. 

20 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Irsay was ASKED about Luck, so he answered.  His answer was, Luck is retired.  Luck knows the Colts would welcome him back if he wants to play, but Irsay does not want the Colts to bug and become an irritant.  Thus, if Luck were to return, it would have to be of Luck’s initiative, for it’s already been made clear to him that he’d be welcome back and he knows that. 

Irsay clearly HAS let it go.  It was the asker of the question that has not.   

Cool thanks for breaking down what he said - just tired of hearing about Luck. 

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

How about some perspective in what Irsay did say instead of ragging on him?

All he said is the door is open when he was ask about Luck. 

Again, just tired of hearing about it. 

Archived