Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rgiii Said "no" To Private Workout For The Colts

This is what I've been saying all along. Griffin just has the type of personality IMO that will lead him to becoming an arrogant jerk with success. Like I said this is my opinion but if people really pay attention, I think it is quite obvious.

I could not disagree more. I just think he is much more outgoing than someone like Luck. Doubt very much that him celebrating a championship win is evidence of him becoming an arrogant jerk.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent article on NFL.com talking about why RG3 turned down the workout.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8280ff92/article/rg3-grabs-control-of-destiny-by-declining-colts-workout-request?module=HP11_content_stream

But, we're not alone in questioning RG3's attitude and competitiveness:

Griffin's decision did raise the eyebrows of one high-ranking AFC talent evaluator who believes the move showed Griffin's ego. He wondered if Luck would have done everything he could to fight to be the No. 1 pick.

"Griffin knows that Luck is going first, but a competitor would take the workout and try to put himself in the mix for No. 1," said the personnel chief, who requested anonymity.

Luck did say on his pro day, after all, "Obviously you want to go No. 1. Who wouldn't want to go No. 1?" Apparently, Griffin doesn't mind. On the other hand, if Griffin knows it is a waste of his time, why appease the Colts just to be nice? It is a business.

Fans who are upset at Irsay for not coming out and telling you who is going to be the selection...get over it. No owner has ever had to tell their fanbase who their selection is going to be in an upcoming draft. We may have been spoiled by the presence of one of the most consistent QB's in league history for over a decade, but Mr Irsay does not owe the fans anything regarding intent prior to the draft. It is his responsibility to the fans to provide the best product that he can. It is a smart business decision to keep that information in house, period. The reasons why have been discussed ad nauseum.

If he was to announce that he was taking Luck and sign him 2 weeks early,l I would be ticked and would consider him bereft of his faculties.

Fans who are upset at Irsay for not coming out and telling you who is going to be the selection...get over it. No owner has ever had to tell their fanbase who their selection is going to be in an upcoming draft. We may have been spoiled by the presence of one of the most consistent QB's in league history for over a decade, but Mr Irsay does not owe the fans anything regarding intent prior to the draft. It is his responsibility to the fans to provide the best product that he can. It is a smart business decision to keep that information in house, period. The reasons why have been discussed ad nauseum.

If he was to announce that he was taking Luck and sign him 2 weeks early,l I would be ticked and would consider him bereft of his faculties.

Couldn't disagree with you more. They're in the entertainment business and I assure you if season ticket money was due May 1st instead of Mar 1st, they wouldn't be veiled in so much secrecy. I do agree you don't let your fan base decide key decisions for you but in this case, this team and it's fans have gone through a massive change. You don't insult them to the point that you play head games with them and not give them some public feedback. That was the Polian mentality. I thought Jim wanted to change that.

Couldn't disagree with you more. They're in the entertainment business and I assure you if season ticket money was due May 1st instead of Mar 1st, they wouldn't be veiled in so much secrecy. I do agree you don't let your fan base decide key decisions for you but in this case, this team and it's fans have gone through a massive change. You don't insult them to the point that you play head games with them and not give them some public feedback. That was the Polian mentality. I thought Jim wanted to change that.

So are you a ticket holder who feels cheated because of the release of information in relation to ticket renewels? If so, that has absolutely nothing to do with the owner stating which selection he is taking in an upcoming draft. Fans pay for the right to attend games, IF they feel that the product is not worth the price of admission, they can stop paying. Season tickets can be sold, even if they were recently purchased. No fan of any team is owed anything in the future because of the expectations of the past. That would be similar to investing in IBM stock because it has been quality and stable and then pointing fingers if it doesn't perform. It is a risk investment, regardless if it is a commodity or it is entertainment. Last year fans were given a less than expected level of entertainment. However, for over ten years before that, they were given a much higher level of entertainment than the vast majority of fans around the league for what they paid. Colt fans have been very fortunate.

One more thing, the entertainment is on the field, not in offseason information. Why dont we give the new team a chance before we judge if they are entertaining or not.

A few days before Peyton was released, Mike Chappell reported to ESPN or The NFL network(s) that one of the reason(s) Peyton Manning was being released was due to the Colts drafting Andrew Luck. Who are we to believe now? There is way toooo much drama being created around this draft and it is best just to ignore all of the hype until The Colts announce they are drafting, you guessed it, Mr. Luck!

I guess I dont understand the insulted angle to fan experience.

I guess I dont understand the insulted angle to fan experience.

I agree. Nike did not ask if fans liked the uniforms before they put them out yesterday. They waited until the last minute and unveiled them. Some fans will like them and some will not. Jim Irsay will run his business the same way. He does not have to tell fans anything until the time he sees fit.

I would do the same if it was my business. He knows he will never please everyone and will do what he sees best for the Colts going forward. Why announce we are taking Luck 3 weeks before the draft and then sign him and God forbid something happens to Luck? Then we have no Luck and the first round pick is gone. I would wait until the last possible moment to announce it as well just in case IMO.

Anybody who's been paying attention to the NFL knows who Irsay's boy is ..."Luck"... He never even showed any real interest publicly about Robert Griffgin 3rd. What's the point of putting on a song and dance for the Colts when you and the free world knows who Irsay wants? Just so Irsay can lie and say he gave both of them a fair look?.. Please. RG3's agent is looking for the best fit for him. Possibly injuring himself by tap dancing for a team that's rebuilding from ground zero.. and is already set on another guy is not in his best interest.

Will Luck or Griffin be bust or will one stand out?... We will all just have to wait and see. Both are very talented.

Teams have negotiated with multiple players before to use each one against the other to give them some leverage to say hey if you do not want to take what we want we will take this other guy and you will miss out on first overall money. They are probably just using RG3 as a way to say Luck well you need to take the lowest you can or we will just take RG3. I just do not believe for one second that Irsay and them have not all ready made up their mind.

The money is set by the CBA. The only thing to really negotiate is the amount of guaranteed money, and that's been established with the signings of last year's draft picks. Everything is slotted now.

I think your 100% wrong here. I met the guy at the Chantilly show and he was the most humble athlete I have ever met fame is not getting in his head at all. The whole thing about him turning you guys down has been completely fabricated. Irsay made it seem like he asked yesterday and was given a "NO" for an answer. When infact before his proday he told every team he was not doing private workouts at anytime. He wanted as many scouts at the proday as possible and he is keeping his word. I think this whole thing is Irsay getting over on you Colts fans he now has a built in excuse if Luck bombs and is a bust. If hes a bust Irsay can tell you guys hey we had to draft Luck because RG3 didnt want to play here. He is dooping you guys. RG3 is known for his good character it's always yes sir no sir he graduated from highschool and college early and with honors. And to insinuate he is like Ryan Leaf is insane. Ryan Leaf was an immature headcase there is no comparison that statement was actually pretty ignorant.

I feel where you're coming from, but I had this thought in my head even before this. I have nothing against RG3. Only reason why I even mentioned Ryan Leaf is to bring up how the fame affected both, and I clearly said "STARTING TO", not "IS". I have my thoughts about him because I have read his interviews, analyzed how he acts in public sometimes, etc. To me, he likes the spotlight even though he is humble. But like one person above me said, he is still a kid at heart. I am not saying these because "Irsay says so" or "I am a delusional Colts fan who will make stuff up in order to seem right". I am pretty sure he is a nice guy. Doesn't mean he won't have a cocky attitude. Maybe the Ryan Leaf reference rubbed you wrong.

I hope Luck chooses not to follow Griffin onto Twitter, only bad things can come from that.

From some of the reports I have seen, Luck isn't into technology as much as others. The reports claims that his cell phone only costs $10, which leads me to believe it is on the low end of technology.

I can't figure out why they are doing a private workout with Luck either. Everyone knows they are taking him. Is something really going to change their minds?

The contingency of coaches that traveled out to Palo Alto left me with the impression that there was more of a purpose than just an old fashioned workout, they were preparing him for the future! I do not believe 100% was finalized, but more was stepped up in the direction of Luck becoming the new Colts Quarterback.

I think they flirted with RGIII, but IMO, that was it!

The contingency of coaches that traveled out to Palo Alto left me with the impression that there was more of a purpose than just an old fashioned workout, they were preparing him for the future! I do not believe 100% was finalized, but more was stepped up in the direction of Luck becoming the new Colts Quarterback.

I think they flirted with RGIII, but IMO, that was it!

I hope you are right. I hope that the contingency of coaches and FO personnel communicated to Luck that he will be their choice, even if they did not sign him.

I can only imagine what might be going on inside Luck's head if they did not communicate this, and still stuck with the mantra that they are still deciding when RG3 has refused to privately workout for the Colts (while agreeing to meet with Redskins' officials).

If Luck has one ounce of telling the Colts not to draft him inside of him then move on to the next guy. The Colts owe it to themselves to be certain beyond a shadow of a doubt. If that isn't good enough for Luck's time frame then so be it.

If Luck has one ounce of telling the Colts not to draft him inside of him then move on to the next guy. The Colts owe it to themselves to be certain beyond a shadow of a doubt. If that isn't good enough for Luck's time frame then so be it.

Hunh? Luck was the one who set up a privite workout for us. There have been no hints from Luck that he is going to tell the Colts not to draft him. In fact just last week he was on a radio show where he said he would like to be a Colt. So I don't get your last part.

RG3 wouldve came to learn from Peyton now Peytons gone and we just have a team who will drop him like he did Peyton

okay? Luck never said he wouldn't come here to learn from Peyton in fact when he was asked about it he said things like if you get a chance to learn from a guy like Peyton Manning you have to take advantage of it so I am not sure what that has to do with anything unless you are just trying to take some kinda un-needed shot at the Colts for letting Manning go.

I can't figure out why they are doing a private workout with Luck either. Everyone knows they are taking him. Is something really going to change their minds?

You want to cross your t's and dot your i's. The Colts are doing their home work. It's not like they are risking anything to do a privite workout with Luck. There is nothing wrong with having as much information about someone as you can. In fact it's smart. It's easy for us to sit back and say oh this is a no brainer and everyone knows they should take Luck! It's another to be the person who is going to be held responable for making the pick and frankly whose lively hood is probably going to depend on how well that pick turns out.

Hunh?  Luck was the one who set up a privite workout for us.  There have been no hints from Luck that he is going to tell the Colts not to draft him.  In fact just last week he was on a radio show where he said he would like to be a Colt.  So I don't get your last part.

It was in response to the conversation above about taking more time might increase Luck's willingness to pull an Elway. I know he's said that he wants to be a Colt, and Irsay has clearly been latched on for Luck for quite some time.It was just a comment addressing the previous discussions.

It was in response to the conversation above about taking more time might increase Luck's willingness to pull an Elway. I know he's said that he wants to be a Colt, and Irsay has clearly been latched on for Luck for quite some time.It was just a comment addressing the previous discussions.

I think the chances of Luck pulling an Elway are about the same as Luck coming out and saying you know I've thought about it and I don't want to play football anymore. Yes it can happen but it's a pretty safe bet to say it wont. There have been zero signs to support that Luck is even thinking about pulling an Elway or Eli Manning.

I think the chances of Luck pulling an Elway are about the same as Luck coming out and saying you know I've thought about it and I don't want to play football anymore.  Yes it can happen but it's a pretty safe bet to say it wont.  There have been zero signs to support that Luck is even thinking about pulling an Elway or Eli Manning.

Again, it wasn't my thought. I was commenting on others thoughts.

okay? Luck never said he wouldn't come here to learn from Peyton in fact when he was asked about it he said things like if you get a chance to learn from a guy like Peyton Manning you have to take advantage of it so I am not sure what that has to do with anything unless you are just trying to take some kinda un-needed shot at the Colts for letting Manning go.

Why are you bring Luck into this? Did I ever mention him? What I ment with my post was maybe RG3 saw how the Peyton situation went down. If they booted Peyton an Indy legend heck probably share the same fate. Why would he want to come play here

Why are you bring Luck into this? Did I ever mention him? What I ment with my post was maybe RG3 saw how the Peyton situation went down. If they booted Peyton an Indy legend heck probably share the same fate. Why would he want to come play here

RG3 wants to be the top over all pick (he's gone on the record saying that). We hold that pick. That would be part of the reason why he wants to come here. Also despite what some think rookie players aren't going to get scared away about coming to Indianapolis because they dumped Manning, especially if letting Manning go helped open the door for them to play which in the case of RG3 and Luck it did. All players WANT to play. just because RG3 or Luck were willing to back Manning up doesn't mean they wanted to do that. I am sure if you asked them both would tell you while they would have understood sitting behind Manning of course if given the choice they want to play. Most players are smart enough to look at the Manning situation and understand it was a business move, including Peyton himself. Players know that side of things exist every where in the NFL not just the Colts. The Colts are not the first and will not be the last team to let a fan favorite go because of the business side of things in the NFL.

I don't think RGIII wants to play for a rebuilding team, honestly. He might have seen the Texans with David Carr or the Browns and Tim Couch. No matter how talented those guys were (and I still maintained they were), they could succeed in that situation. I think that might be his thinking, but I have no basis for this.