Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rgiii Said "no" To Private Workout For The Colts

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Irsay has a HUGE ego - he might just pick him to spite him now.

I think Irsay understands the importance of this pick and I'm sure he loves his horseshoe enough to make the right call for the right reason. Despite his jovial and often jumbled tweets, he is quite serious handling the business side of his organization.

I can understand why RGIII declined the colts even though I believe it was a bad decision overall. One thing you can take away from his Pro Day was that the Redskins organization really made him feel like he was wanted more than any other team there. Shanahan, Schneider and Allen looked like they were doing everything possible to make him feel like a Redskin when they had chances to talk to Griffin during his pro day. If they make you feel like you're wanted in comparison to the team picking one spot ahead, then I can see why he would decline the Colts. There's also just the chance that he said he showed everyone everything at his pro day and that a private workout would't show anymore than what he showed at his pro day.

What you say may indeed be true.

What surprises me somewhat is that RG3 or his handlers should have noticed that the Redskins also went to Luck's pro-day one day afterward, and met with Luck extensively after the workout. Maybe naivete is responsible for assuming that what the Redskins management tells one prospect isn't what they tell to another prospect.

People are actually mad at RG3 for this? Do we actually believe Irsay is going to take anyone but Andrew Luck? Irsay has drooled over him since the moment he declared. The only reason why Irsay is trying to throw RG3's name in there now is to have some leverage against Luck's agent when it comes to money. You are not cutting Peyton Manning and go into the draft and not know who you are replacing him with.

The agent just does not want his guy used as a pawn for Irsay and Grigson to have some leverage against Luck's agent.

Either that or Irsay is trying to play hardball with he Skins and scare them into trading up to the first to draft RG3

Looking at the way Stanford used Luck with all the bootlegs and roll outs... I guarantee if Shanny had a choice it would be Luck. Shanny's O when ran the way he wants to run it is all about the misdirection and the QB bootlegging and rolling out. Luck does this to perfection.

Looking at the way Stanford used Luck with all the bootlegs and roll outs... I guarantee if Shanny had a choice it would be Luck. Shanny's O when ran the way he wants to run it is all about the misdirection and the QB bootlegging and rolling out. Luck does this to perfection.

I agree. If the Redskins had the #1 overall pick, they would draft Luck.

I agree. If the Redskins had the #1 overall pick, they would draft Luck.

Didn't I recall seeing articles about how the Redskins organization actually talked to the Colts about the possibility of moving up to the #1 pick?

Don't remember. There have been so many stories.

Here's just one of the articles I found.

The Indianapolis Colts have the first pick and a landslide of speculation believes they will take Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck. Allen told The Sports Xchange that Redskins did have discussions with the Colts, but they were in regards to a possible trade for the No. 1 spot, which obviously didn't happen. He said he does not have inside knowledge of whom the Colts will take at No. 1.

http://www.cbssports...l-control-draft

Indeed there have been SOOOOOOoooooo many stories haha

Here's just one of the articles I found.

The Indianapolis Colts have the first pick and a landslide of speculation believes they will take Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck. Allen told The Sports Xchange that Redskins did have discussions with the Colts, but they were in regards to a possible trade for the No. 1 spot, which obviously didn't happen. He said he does not have inside knowledge of whom the Colts will take at No. 1.

http://www.cbssports...l-control-draft

Indeed there have been SOOOOOOoooooo many stories haha

Good find. It seems the Redskins wanted the #1 pick overall before settling for the #2.

It is fortunate that Mr. Irsay did not trade it like so many fans wanted to back when.

You got that right!

:rock:

From the Moore article, I noticed something that sort of confirmed what I heard of Luck from Harbaugh over a year ago... that Luck has great retention, to the point of photographic memory. Harbaugh was relating an anecdote about how he told Luck to do something a certain way once, and he never had to repeat it again.

This is going to be an interesting season coming up.

From the Moore article, I noticed something that sort of confirmed what I heard of Luck from Harbaugh over a year ago... that Luck has great retention, to the point of photographic memory. Harbaugh was relating an anecdote about how he told Luck to do something a certain way once, and he never had to repeat it again.

This is going to be an interesting season coming up.

Yeah, a possible genius but yet kind of goofy incredibly gifted athletic QB, who has the potential to be a great leader is never a bad thing, a photographic memory also helps!!!!!!!!!! haha

Yeah, a possible genius but yet kind of goofy incredibly gifted athletic QB, who has the potential to be a great leader is never a bad thing, a photographic memory also helps!!!!!!!!!! haha

I'm not sure how much I believe of all that. But at least it all points to good things about Luck, which comforts me about his projection into the NFL with the Colts.

I think Irsay understands the importance of this pick and I'm sure he loves his horseshoe enough to make the right call for the right reason. Despite his jovial and often jumbled tweets, he is quite serious handling the business side of his organization.

Perfectly stated.

Count me in as a genius. My mum once told me never to put my hand in a burning fire, and all these years later I've remembered. I must have the highest IQ of the HPMC then!

PPPffftttm, I was told the opposite. I was always told to put your hand in a burning fire because it's good for your skin.

Its a shame the opinion that most of you guys have of RG3. Yes, I am a huge Redskins fan, grew up in Northern Virginia. The only time I've ever been in Indiana was when I drove thru that state to my next base. Actually drove by the Colts stadium, it is a lot nicer than Fed Ex Field, Redskins Stadium.

But on to my point. A lot of you guys are saying that RG3 has an ego, an attitude, and that you don't want that ego and attitude on your team. From what I have seen, that could be further from the truth. As already stated on this thread, RG3 declined to do private work outs for any team before his pro day, even before the Skins traded up to the number two pick for RG3. The reason why he didn't want to do private work outs for any NFL team is because he wanted to get as many scouts as possible to his pro day. He wanted to get as many scouts to his pro day so he can have his fellow Baylor teammates looked at as well.

He essence, he declined to do private work outs for his Baylor teammates. He put his Baylor teammates, who he owes nothing too now, ahead of himself, even at the risk of not being selected number one. Now, if you are saying that a guy like that has an attitude problem, an ego problem, then I have a completely different opinion of a person with an attitude, an ego problem. From everything that I have read, RG3 puts his team ahead of himself, and that is the type of guy I want to play for the Redskins. If that is the type of person who has an attitude, an ego problem, then Robert, please bring that problem to Washington D.C.

I do like Luck, from what I have seen, he seems to be a great guy, and I do hope he is successful, but I do want RG3 a lot more, and I would be bummed out if we got Luck. Not because I think RG3 is better than Luck, I honestly don't know who is going to be better; I want RG3 more because of his character. I also RG3 is going to be good, real good

Also here is a link to support RG3 not wanting to do private workouts so he can get as much exposure to Baylors pro day for his teammates.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/37753/today-in-manufactured-nfl-draft-intrigue

If a guy in a Lamborghini cuts you off on the highway, you might assume he's a jerk with entirely too much money. However, you really have no idea of what his intentions actually were in cutting you off nor does it necessarily have any bearing on his character whatsoever. Maybe someone else was about to merge into him and he HAD to get over into the next lane quickly. Maybe he misjudged traffic in front of him. Heck, he could be Lamborghini Batman rushing off to go cheer up some sick kids.

In any event, you don't know anywhere near enough to legitimately condemn the man beyond this single incident despite what you want to think. That's what I'm seeing in this thread. Unwarranted condemnation of a guy based on very limited information just because a majority of you want to not want Griffin.

This says absolutely nothing about his attitude or ego unless you know what his or his agent's thoughts and plans are.

Glad Indy doesn't have to worry about it...

Its a shame the opinion that most of you guys have of RG3. Yes, I am a huge Redskins fan, grew up in Northern Virginia. The only time I've ever been in Indiana was when I drove thru that state to my next base. Actually drove by the Colts stadium, it is a lot nicer than Fed Ex Field, Redskins Stadium.

But on to my point. A lot of you guys are saying that RG3 has an ego, an attitude, and that you don't want that ego and attitude on your team. From what I have seen, that could be further from the truth. As already stated on this thread, RG3 declined to do private work outs for any team before his pro day, even before the Skins traded up to the number two pick for RG3. The reason why he didn't want to do private work outs for any NFL team is because he wanted to get as many scouts as possible to his pro day. He wanted to get as many scouts to his pro day so he can have his fellow Baylor teammates looked at as well.

He essence, he declined to do private work outs for his Baylor teammates. He put his Baylor teammates, who he owes nothing too now, ahead of himself, even at the risk of not being selected number one. Now, if you are saying that a guy like that has an attitude problem, an ego problem, then I have a completely different opinion of a person with an attitude, an ego problem. From everything that I have read, RG3 puts his team ahead of himself, and that is the type of guy I want to play for the Redskins. If that is the type of person who has an attitude, an ego problem, then Robert, please bring that problem to Washington D.C.

I do like Luck, from what I have seen, he seems to be a great guy, and I do hope he is successful, but I do want RG3 a lot more, and I would be bummed out if we got Luck. Not because I think RG3 is better than Luck, I honestly don't know who is going to be better; I want RG3 more because of his character. I also RG3 is going to be good, real good

Also here is a link to support RG3 not wanting to do private workouts so he can get as much exposure to Baylors pro day for his teammates.

http://espn.go.com/b...-draft-intrigue

No Problem bro....

you got him.. :)

Yeah it works both ways, personally I have no problem with RGiii at all. Plenty of people who like RGiii have negative opinions of Luck. Do I primarily like Luck, of course but I have no problems with RGiii. I think he shows some cockiness opposed to Luck, yeah but who cares that's not really a giant issue.

To me it seems RGiii is already getting settled down with the Redskins while Luck still seems to ACT like things are up in the air, however most likely suspects he will be playing with the Colts. There are two different organizations and two QBs acting completely different. You basically have RGiii already mingling with the Redskins organization and fans while the Colts and Luck are seeming to keep things hush hush until the draft, leaving options open. When it's all said and done things most likely will work out the way we think, unless the Colts decide to deviate from the national perspective.

No probs with RGiii here.

Yeah it works both ways, personally I have no problem with RGiii at all. Plenty of people who like RGiii have negative opinions of Luck. Do I primarily like Luck, of course but I have no problems with RGiii. I think he shows some cockiness opposed to Luck, yeah but who cares that's not really a giant issue.

To me it seems RGiii is already getting settled down with the Redskins while Luck still seems to ACT like things are up in the air, however most likely suspects he will be playing with the Colts. There are two different organizations and two QBs acting completely different. You basically have RGiii already mingling with the Redskins organization and fans while the Colts and Luck are seeming to keep things hush hush until the draft, leaving options open. When it's all said and done things most likely will work out the way we think, unless the Colts decide to deviate from the national perspective.

No probs with RGiii here.

Yeah, your right. I haven't seen Luck mingle much, if at all, with Colt fans. Where as RG3 was at the Collectors’ Showcase of America at the Chantilly Expo Center, in Northern Virginia, which had NFL players from a lot of different NFL teams signing autographs, not just RG3. And, I am not going to say that it was just a coincidence that RG3 signed up for this expo that happened to be held in the heart of Redskin country.

But our two organizations are completely different. You guys have had Peyton freaking Manning for the last decade, where as the Redskins haven't had a franchise QB since I was born. You guys have had the best ever, so I can't really see you guys getting that excited over Luck, its probably more like business as usual for you guys.

But for us Redskins fans, its almost impossible to not get excited over RG3. Not having a franchise QB for over 20 years will make a fan base go stupid insane over a possible franchise QB, and I am sure that RG3's agent knows that.

And for the Redskins fans who diss Luck, I don't really agree with them either. I honestly think that RG3 would fit the Redskins better than Luck, but I can't find anything negative about Luck, except that he does kind of come off as a nerd. But its one of those nerds that everybody likes and happens to be an athletic freak, so thats not really a negative. But for the Redskins fans bashing Luck, thats just fans being fans, and I know that thats the same here, Colt fans bashing RG3 is just fans being fans. But, bashing RG3's character, I just thought that was completely wrong.

Yeah, your right. I haven't seen Luck mingle much, if at all, with Colt fans. Where as RG3 was at the Collectors’ Showcase of America at the Chantilly Expo Center, in Northern Virginia, which had NFL players from a lot of different NFL teams signing autographs, not just RG3. And, I am not going to say that it was just a coincidence that RG3 signed up for this expo that happened to be held in the heart of Redskin country.

But our two organizations are completely different. You guys have had Peyton freaking Manning for the last decade, where as the Redskins haven't had a franchise QB since I was born. You guys have had the best ever, so I can't really see you guys getting that excited over Luck, its probably more like business as usual for you guys.

But for us Redskins fans, its almost impossible to not get excited over RG3. Not having a franchise QB for over 20 years will make a fan base go stupid insane over a possible franchise QB, and I am sure that RG3's agent knows that.

And for the Redskins fans who diss Luck, I don't really agree with them either. I honestly think that RG3 would fit the Redskins better than Luck, but I can't find anything negative about Luck, except that he does kind of come off as a nerd. But its one of those nerds that everybody likes and happens to be an athletic freak, so thats not really a negative. But for the Redskins fans bashing Luck, thats just fans being fans, and I know that thats the same here, Colt fans bashing RG3 is just fans being fans. But, bashing RG3's character, I just thought that was completely wrong.

Yeah you got that right, but boy can that nerd play. Peyton was also goofy in his own way, I think that's another reason I like Luck. One thing Luck doesn't need to do is live up to Manning, Andrew just needs to be Andrew or if RGiii comes in here, they both just need to be themselves. No one will ever be Manning, that's why the new fellas just need to be themselves, play solid, continue to learn and they can both be great in their own way.

In the end... time will tell. Rock on Colts.

His Pro Day has been and gone so this isn't a valid reason really any more is it? Plus this was a direct refusal to the team holding the #1 pick from a guy whose gone on record saying he wants to fight to be the #1 pick.

His Pro Day has been and gone so this isn't a valid reason really any more is it? Plus this was a direct refusal to the team holding the #1 pick from a guy whose gone on record saying he wants to fight to be the #1 pick.

I would think that it is a valid reason. He gave his word that he wasn't going to do any personal workouts so scouts would have to come to his pro day. If he were to do personal work outs now, even for the Redskins, then his word would mean nothing then. To some people, there word means a lot.

I don't know for sure of Jim Isray tweeted that because they called RG3 recently for a private work out, or he remembers RG3 saying that he wasn't going to do any private work outs, because he wants scouts to come to his pro day. But I do like that RG3 is keeping his word, I'm pretty sure the easier route would've been to just do the private work out. I do think that RG3 was charmed by Mike Shanahan and possibly by Redskins fans, but I do think RG3 wants to go #1, and I don't think he would complain about playing in Indy. I am basing most of that off of the character that I have seen from RG3.

Basically, I don't think that he is directly refusing the Colts, I honestly think that he is just staying to his word, staying true to his teammates at Baylor. That might cost him being selected #1, but I think he can live with it.

I would think that it is a valid reason. He gave his word that he wasn't going to do any personal workouts so scouts would have to come to his pro day. If he were to do personal work outs now, even for the Redskins, then his word would mean nothing then. To some people, there word means a lot.

I don't know for sure of Jim Isray tweeted that because they called RG3 recently for a private work out, or he remembers RG3 saying that he wasn't going to do any private work outs, because he wants scouts to come to his pro day. But I do like that RG3 is keeping his word, I'm pretty sure the easier route would've been to just do the private work out. I do think that RG3 was charmed by Mike Shanahan and possibly by Redskins fans, but I do think RG3 wants to go #1, and I don't think he would complain about playing in Indy. I am basing most of that off of the character that I have seen from RG3.

Basically, I don't think that he is directly refusing the Colts, I honestly think that he is just staying to his word, staying true to his teammates at Baylor. That might cost him being selected #1, but I think he can live with it.

If that's the real reason, one simple response form his management team to Irsay's tweet and the various reports would put this to bed. Poorly handled at the least, and I don't buy the Pro-Day excuse for a minute. How many scouts still went to Luck's Pro-Day, and arguably their was less total talent there. Baylor had a bit more than RG3 to go and look at with their receiving core.

Just as the "Luckites" will be rounded on for being seen to condemn RG3 without facts, the "Griffen Separatist Movement" shouldn't defend his character without too knowing why he said no to a direct request from the #1 pick holding team.

Changes nothing overall really, and most of this is just down to the fans/media needing something to fixate on before the Drat (I'm as guilty of anyone on that score), but still this could have been nipped in the bud with one simple statement.

"I stand by decision not to attend any private work outs which was made several weeks ago. I made this choice to help promote the Draft chances of my teamates as recognition of their contribution in helping me become the possible #1 pick in this year's draft" Ya da ya da you get the drift.

Maybe RG should give me a job? :P

How does Griffin working out for the Colts give the Colts leverage against Luck's agent?

Teams have negotiated with multiple players before to use each one against the other to give them some leverage to say hey if you do not want to take what we want we will take this other guy and you will miss out on first overall money. They are probably just using RG3 as a way to say Luck well you need to take the lowest you can or we will just take RG3. I just do not believe for one second that Irsay and them have not all ready made up their mind.

Yeah I really do not believe that they are even considering RG3. I know Shanny would not mind either one because both will be really good in his misdirection offense. So I do not think the Skins are that in love with RG3 to trade up one more pick to ensure they get RG3. It would be an amazing move though if they did convince the Skins we wanted RG3 too and they traded up, but in reality we wanted Luck the whole time.

Seems like an attitude problem that we do not need on our team. It would be bad on a solid team, let alone, a team that is rebuilding. I would take my cues from Dan Snyder. If that guy wants a player, we DON'T want him. Take a look at the Redskins the past decade. The only thing Snyder has done effectively, is take a crap on his team. Every decision has blown up in his face. I say let them have RG3 and be mediocre to sub-par for another 4 to 5 years.

I haven't heard that RGIII has ever had an attitude problem. From all accounts he seems to have an excellent attitude and excellent work ethic. Dan Snyder may finally be getting a decent QB in spite of himself. I'm not a redskins fan and don't much care for Dan Snyder; however, I don't think it's fair to label a seemly good kid as an attitude problem at this point. Colts are gonna' draft Andrew Luck and I'm certainly happy about that. GO COLTS!

I haven't heard that RGIII has ever had an attitude problem. From all accounts he seems to have an excellent attitude and excellent work ethic. Dan Snyder may finally be getting a decent QB in spite of himself. I'm not a redskins fan and don't much care for Dan Snyder; however, I don't think it's fair to label a seemly good kid as an attitude problem at this point. Colts are gonna' draft Andrew Luck and I'm certainly happy about that. GO COLTS!

It seems to me when the team with the number 1 pick in the NFL Draft asks for a workout, you would make space for that to happen. By all accounts, I agree, RG3 seems to be a stand up kid, from a strong family. However, between my perception of his attitude on his pro-day and this latest balking at a workout, it leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. My point about Snyder, is that he could be given a one-piece jigsaw puzzle and find a way to mess it up. If that man wants a player, it sends a red flag up, in my opinion.

Polian said this is pretty normal to decline, however, I think at this point this draft is far from normal and this was not about "working him out" or "seeing him throw". I think it was intended to get an idea of personality and if he is the right fit for the Colts org.. just my opinion, I have no factual basis for why I think this, I just do. I think Indy has always done a quality job by signing talent that are also smart, intelligent (by this I mean can manage their finances and make important life decisions as well as manage their public image and recognize they are role models) and classy. For these reasons, I think Luck is the best fit for Indy in both talent and image.

I saw RGIII dancing at the Baylor game last night and realized he is still a kid. He is bright and comes from a good background. With that being said, I think his ego and the spot light have gotten to him somewhat. He is becoming quite arrogant in my opinion. I'm not sure Indy in the Midwest is big enough for him to be happy long term. With Peyton and to an extent Luck, you see that they can be happy here, out of the big city lights, etc. I just wish Irsay would quit the games and commit to Andrew. His posse went out there yesterday and as I suspected, no feedback as to how it went.

One last thing, it bugs me that Grigson says they're going to evaluate this to the last minute when they're on the clock. Give me a break. He better be evaluating picks 2nd through 7th round and getting that right. You will never convince me that they cannot make a decision on the 1st pick until the "last minute". That mentality just really bugs me. Rant over....

Once I saw RG3 signing Redskin helmets I knew it was a done deal. He's starting to rub me off as a Ryan Leafy type player. I'm saying that to say it seems like the fame is getting to him.

I think your 100% wrong here. I met the guy at the Chantilly show and he was the most humble athlete I have ever met fame is not getting in his head at all. The whole thing about him turning you guys down has been completely fabricated. Irsay made it seem like he asked yesterday and was given a "NO" for an answer. When infact before his proday he told every team he was not doing private workouts at anytime. He wanted as many scouts at the proday as possible and he is keeping his word. I think this whole thing is Irsay getting over on you Colts fans he now has a built in excuse if Luck bombs and is a bust. If hes a bust Irsay can tell you guys hey we had to draft Luck because RG3 didnt want to play here. He is dooping you guys. RG3 is known for his good character it's always yes sir no sir he graduated from highschool and college early and with honors. And to insinuate he is like Ryan Leaf is insane. Ryan Leaf was an immature headcase there is no comparison that statement was actually pretty ignorant.

I saw RGIII dancing at the Baylor game last night and realized he is still a kid. He is bright and comes from a good background. With that being said, I think his ego and the spot light have gotten to him somewhat. He is becoming quite arrogant in my opinion. I'm not sure Indy in the Midwest is big enough for him to be happy long term. With Peyton and to an extent Luck, you see that they can be happy here, out of the big city lights, etc. I just wish Irsay would quit the games and commit to Andrew. His posse went out there yesterday and as I suspected, no feedback as to how it went.

One last thing, it bugs me that Grigson says they're going to evaluate this to the last minute when they're on the clock. Give me a break. He better be evaluating picks 2nd through 7th round and getting that right. You will never convince me that they cannot make a decision on the 1st pick until the "last minute". That mentality just really bugs me. Rant over....

This is what I've been saying all along. Griffin just has the type of personality IMO that will lead him to becoming an arrogant jerk with success. Like I said this is my opinion but if people really pay attention, I think it is quite obvious.

Don't let it bug you too much. Grigson's gotta be dreaming if he thinks he's got any sort of final say in Luck vs. RG3. This is, and always has been Irsay's decision.

Let's dispel some myths:

That Colts are going to draft anyone but Luck. Not gonna happen. He's the safer pick and when you jettison a HOF QB safe is the way you go.

That any of this has anything to do with money or contract leverage- The money is set in stone. The leverage was won by the owners and vets. It happened last offseason during the lockout. Who ever goes second will make 1 mill less and more than make up for it in the larger DC market.

That RG3 went to the card show because of skins. the car show had many athletes like michael vick and ben rothlisburger. rg 3 was announced going there in december before the skins had a second pick.

That Colts aren't signing anyone because they aren't sure who to pick- The Colts aren't signing anyone because they'd be . to do so. Holdouts are over. Freak accidents can happen and the Colts are staying relevant. Why would you sign Luck early?