Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rgiii Said "no" To Private Workout For The Colts

I forgot the combine as well. Supposedly he announced no private workouts a whike back before the Redskin trade was even made.

IMO he should do them atlkeast for the top few teams. Especialky if he believes he should be the #1 pick

I just don't think it is such a rejection toward the Colts as others do. It was no across the league

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RG3 saying "no private workouts for any team. period" just rubs me the wrong way.

Contrast this attitude with Luck's. Luck had a scripted pro day at Stanford, and when a scout requested a deep ball against the wind, he obliged and had no problem stepping up to the challenge.

If a scout made a similar request at RG3's pro day, who knows what he would have done? From what I've seen, he probably would have said "no requests for any team. period."

RG3 saying "no private workouts for any team. period" just rubs me the wrong way.

Contrast this attitude with Luck's. Luck had a scripted pro day at Stanford, and when a scout requested a deep ball against the wind, he obliged and had no problem stepping up to the challenge.

If a scout made a similar request at RG3's pro day, who knows what he would have done? From what I've seen, he probably would have said "no requests for any team. period."

I think he would have said no as it would have messed with the background music choreography :P

We're not talking about evaluating the kid. We're talking about what this move says about his attitude/ego.

If a guy in a Lamborghini cuts you off on the highway, you might assume he's a jerk with entirely too much money. However, you really have no idea of what his intentions actually were in cutting you off nor does it necessarily have any bearing on his character whatsoever. Maybe someone else was about to merge into him and he HAD to get over into the next lane quickly. Maybe he misjudged traffic in front of him. Heck, he could be Lamborghini Batman rushing off to go cheer up some sick kids.

In any event, you don't know anywhere near enough to legitimately condemn the man beyond this single incident despite what you want to think. That's what I'm seeing in this thread. Unwarranted condemnation of a guy based on very limited information just because a majority of you want to not want Griffin.

This says absolutely nothing about his attitude or ego unless you know what his or his agent's thoughts and plans are.

If a guy in a Lamborghini cuts you off on the highway, you might assume he's a jerk with entirely too much money. However, you really have no idea of what his intentions actually were in cutting you off nor does it necessarily have any bearing on his character whatsoever. Maybe someone else was about to merge into him and he HAD to get over into the next lane quickly. Maybe he misjudged traffic in front of him. Heck, he could be Lamborghini Batman rushing off to go cheer up some sick kids.

In any event, you don't know anywhere near enough to legitimately condemn the man beyond this single incident despite what you want to think. That's what I'm seeing in this thread. Unwarranted condemnation of a guy based on very limited information just because a majority of you want to not want Griffin.

This says absolutely nothing about his attitude or ego unless you know what his or his agent's thoughts and plans are.

Hence why I wondered if they'd commented with their side of events. In this media crazy world everything is picked over and unless you put your version out there people will fill in the blanks.

Hence why I wondered if they'd commented with their side of events. In this media crazy world everything is picked over and unless you put your version out there people will fill in the blanks.

True enough. They don't owe us an explanation, though, and there's certainly not any real need for one. There's even a high chance that a statement on their part would add to the speculation instead of clearing the air depending on what factors are at play.

What a great opportunity for Griffin to show the Colts what a huge mistake they're making, right? Isn't that the attitude one would want to see from a #1 overall franchise QB?

You would believe so, if you believe what RG3 said in his interview with Gruden, that he wants to be the #1 overall pick.

Maybe there is something that is disingenuous here?

Do we believe the words, or do we believe the behavior?

Hmm... I'm not trying to say he's a jerk or make some broad statement about his personality. Maybe "ego" wasn't the right word, but I stand by my opinion that his attitude is not ideal. Like ruksak says, this would be a great opportunity to show the world that he's the number 1 guy in this draft. Yet he's passing it up. You interpret it as no big deal, I think it's a sign of things to come. I guess we'll all see.

Exactly he's not just telling the colts no its been out there for weeks that he wouldn't be doing private workouts for anyone.

He said he wanted to be the #1 overall, like Frog said above. So why not do whats being asked of him? Oh yea....that's right. Griffin is special and he calls the shots, right?

Hmm... I'm not trying to say he's a jerk or make some broad statement about his personality. Maybe "ego" wasn't the right word, but I stand by my opinion that his attitude is not ideal. Like ruksak says, this would be a great opportunity to show the world that he's the number 1 guy in this draft. Yet he's passing it up. You interpret it as no big deal, I think it's a sign of things to come. I guess we'll all see.

Ooops, was trying to edit my post and mucked it up.

True enough. They don't owe us an explanation, though, and there's certainly not any real need for one. There's even a high chance that a statement on their part would add to the speculation instead of clearing the air depending on what factors are at play.

Ok they don't owe anyone an explanation certainly, but your whole mission at this point in your career is to in effect sell your talents to the franchises, now if I'm selling a product that benefits from live demonstration in most cases a refusal to take it to the customer has a huge detrimental effect. Sure it's highly unlikely that we would draft him currently but if he really wanted to become a Colt surely you take any chance you can to make this more likely. Until they comment as to why the blanket refusals it will be painted as a negative.

Image is a huge commodity for pro athletes these days, part of why agents earn their dollars.

He said he wanted to be the #1 overall, like Frog said above. So why not do whats being asked of him? Oh yea....that's right. Griffin is special and he calls the shots, right?

That has nothing to do with what I said. I just pointed out he wasn't just telling the colts no he's telling everyone no.

Exactly he's not just telling the colts no its been out there for weeks that he wouldn't be doing private workouts for anyone.

But in the weeks since the game has changed, and this is a straight no to a firm request. Well if we believe Jim anyway. Sure say no and reference your standing by your earlier choice and as to why you made that choice.

Guess I'm saying that your giving the Colts camp a moral win in the media if that makes sense.

That has nothing to do with what I said. I just pointed out he wasn't just telling the colts no he's telling everyone no.

Well, yes it does have everything to do with what you said. He said he wanted to be the #1 pick, the team with the #1 pick made a request of him and he said "no". I could understand if he told TB no, or some other team that doesn't have a chance at him.

No matter, I'm glad Griffin did this. No way Irsay leaps over Luck for a guy that hasn't worked out privately for him.

Hmm... I'm not trying to say he's a jerk or make some broad statement about his personality. Maybe "ego" wasn't the right word, but I stand by my opinion that his attitude is not ideal. Like ruksak says, this would be a great opportunity to show the world that he's the number 1 guy in this draft. Yet he's passing it up.

I'd still say that it's a mistake to say that this is even a reflection of his attitude. It would be more fair to say that his/his agent's draft strategy is a little boneheaded.

Ok they don't owe anyone an explanation certainly, but your whole mission at this point in your career is to in effect sell your talents to the franchises, now if I'm selling a product that benefits from live demonstration in most cases a refusal to take it to the customer has a huge detrimental effect. Sure it's highly unlikely that we would draft him currently but if he really wanted to become a Colt surely you take any chance you can to make this more likely. Until they comment as to why the blanket refusals it will be painted as a negative.

Image is a huge commodity for pro athletes these days, part of why agents earn their dollars.

At the same time, you also don't want to overexpose your product when you already know that it is in high demand lest it lose its sheen. If someone is extremely interested in buying your car are you going to offer to let him test drive it for a few days? Heck no, you don't want to give him time to pick out all the flaws and concerns, minute though they may be, because that affects the final sale price of the vehicle. You want to give just enough of a taste to expose the buyer to the upside of the car and not much more.

Outside of Skins and Colts fans who are rabidly anticipating the draft and hanging on every word written or said about these two prospects, this refusal will do absolutely nothing to tarnish Griffin's image. It will be completely forgotten unless other, more obvious problems also crop up.

I'd still say that it's a mistake to say that this is even a reflection of his attitude. It would be more fair to say that his/his agent's draft strategy is a little boneheaded.

At the same time, you also don't want to overexpose your product when you already know that it is in high demand lest it lose its sheen. If someone is extremely interested in buying your car are you going to offer to let him test drive it for a few days? Heck no, you don't want to give him time to pick out all the flaws and concerns, minute though they may be, because that affects the final sale price of the vehicle. You want to give just enough of a taste to expose the buyer to the upside of the car and not much more.

Outside of Skins and Colts fans who are rabidly anticipating the draft and hanging on every word written or said about these two prospects, this refusal will do absolutely nothing to tarnish Griffin's image. It will be completely forgotten unless other, more obvious problems also crop up.

Maybe they're worried the car is about to blow a gasket! :P using the same analogy they didn't ask for a few days. I'd flat out refuse to buy a car the owner wouldn't let me test drive, regardless of its book performance etc.

I get your point, and I don't think the no in itself is a big deal in the outcome of the selection. I just think they've handled it badly.

For a player that analysts thought of as very smart, this is certainly evidence to the contrary.

Maybe they're worried the car is about to blow a gasket! :P

I get your point, and I don't think the no in itself is a big deal in the outcome of the selection. I just think they've handled it badly.

I agree that, from the perspective of the Colts or any team being denied a workout, the "no" is definitely not a positive although it may not necessarily be a negative either.

For a player that analysts thought of as very smart, this is certainly evidence to the contrary.

You have to make several assumptions about the circumstances involved in order for this to pass as strong evidence of anything. Regardless, I defy you to find a smart person that doesn't occasionally make questionable decisions.

You have to make several assumptions about the circumstances involved in order for this to pass as strong evidence of anything. Regardless, I defy you to find a smart person that doesn't occasionally make questionable decisions.

Point 1: RG3 has stated openly in his interview with Gruden that he is competitive and wants to be the #1 overall draft prospect picked in the upcoming draft.

Point 2: RG3 and his agent have denied the Colt's specific invitation for a private workout, per Irsay.

Point 3: The Colts possess the #1 overall draft pick in the upcoming draft.

If we believe the above 3 points as truth, I have a hard time reconciling them with each other. One of those points doesn't belong with the other points. Since I am pretty sure Point 3 is true, it must either be point 1 or point 2 that is faulty.

You can call me biased, but I give more credence to behavior than words. So I am saying that point 1 is not believable.

Point 1: RG3 has stated openly in his interview with Gruden that he is competitive and wants to be the #1 overall draft prospect picked in the upcoming draft.

Point 2: RG3 and his agent have denied the Colt's specific invitation for a private workout, per Irsay.

If we believe the above 3 points as truth, I have a hard time reconciling them with each other. One of those points doesn't belong with the other points. Since I am pretty sure Point 3 is true, it must either be point 1 or point 2 that is faulty.

You can call me biased, but I give more credence to behavior than words. So I am saying that point 1 is not believable.

checkmate

In Griff's defense, I might suggest that it is likely he is being victimized by bad advice from his "people". Like someone should've told him not to wear neon colored inspirational messages during his pro-day. It looked facetious.

Someone should've told him how to properly increase his stock by aggressively seeking to move from #2 to #1. "Do not deny the team holding the #1 pick" would seem to have been the best advice.

In the end it is Griff's decision to make, however.

Here we were, having a nice conversation about RG3 and his attitude, and you have to go and ruin it by using logic. Thanks a lot.