Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rgiii Said "no" To Private Workout For The Colts

i think the Redskins are offering RG3 money behiind the doors to make sure he doesnt work out or do anything related with the Colts so they wont chose him.

If you take a look closely to anything RG3 has attended (such as his workouts), he has the coach and Redskins Snyder with him everywhere he goes like they are his bodyguard or something. I dont even see Redskins anywhere near interested in Andrew Luck.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know RG Leaf is saying he won't do a private workout for anyone, but lets me honest about it. The only team that effects is the Colts. The Redskins will draft him no matter what. No other team can get him. So it is really just a shot against the Colts. But who cares. We don't need his overrated butt anyways.

Point 1: RG3 has stated openly in his interview with Gruden that he is competitive and wants to be the #1 overall draft prospect picked in the upcoming draft.

Point 2: RG3 and his agent have denied the Colt's specific invitation for a private workout, per Irsay.

Point 3: The Colts possess the #1 overall draft pick in the upcoming draft.

If we believe the above 3 points as truth, I have a hard time reconciling them with each other. One of those points doesn't belong with the other points. Since I am pretty sure Point 3 is true, it must either be point 1 or point 2 that is faulty.

You can call me biased, but I give more credence to behavior than words. So I am saying that point 1 is not believable.

checkmate

Here we were, having a nice conversation about RG3 and his attitude, and you have to go and ruin it by using logic. Thanks a lot.

Fine, I'll bite. Point 2 only directly contradicts Point 1 if RGIII refuses to work out only for the Colts. However, Adam Schefter has stated that Griffin will not be working out for the Redskins, either, and the Vikings report was erroneous as far as I've been able to tell. If that continues to hold true then it was simply a decision Griffin made with his agent, likely knowing that it would be difficult to improve his draft stock further.

That isn't so hard to fathom, now, is it guys?

Fine, I'll bite. Point 2 only directly contradicts Point 1 if RGIII refuses to work out only for the Colts. However, Adam Schefter has stated that Griffin will not be working out for the Redskins, either, and the Vikings report was erroneous as far as I've been able to tell. If that continues to hold true then it was simply a decision Griffin made with his agent, likely knowing that it would be difficult to improve his draft stock further.

That isn't so hard to fathom, now, is it guys?

1) What other team, besides the Colts, hold the overall #1 pick in this upcoming draft?

2) What sense does it make to deny the Colts' request for a private workout, if your intention is to be competitive and want to be the #1 overall pick in the upcoming draft?

If you deny the Colts' request for a private workout, you are going against your own stated desire to be chosen #1 overall, and to be competitive. That's the way I see it.

Wonder what he wants less, to be a Colt or to be #2.

If he doesn't want to be a Colt, then the move is smart. He denies everyone, not isolating the team he is avoiding and he gets picked up 2nd by the skins anyway.

Its hard to be objective, but when looking at this from a prospect's eyes this team has waaaaay too many variable factors right now for it to be attractive not just to dps but to fas as well. I'm not saying this team can't be good, its just that there is nothing of reference to gauge whether or not we will be, thus prospects may be reluctant to sign here.

1) What other team, besides the Colts, hold the overall #1 pick in this upcoming draft?

2) What sense does it make to deny the Colts' request for a private workout, if your intention is to be competitive and want to be the #1 overall pick in the upcoming draft?

If you deny the Colts' request for a private workout, you are going against your own stated desire to be chosen #1 overall, and to be competitive. That's the way I see it.

#1 isn't a real question and I answered #2 in the very post you quoted (and acknowledged that any such strategy is certainly not beyond question in other posts). We obviously have a difference in opinion, I'm just pointing out that you guys need to ease off a bit in the firmness with which you hold yours because it is based on practically no hard evidence.

You just seem like you want to argue for the sake of arguing :)

Wonder what he wants less, to be a Colt or to be #2.

If he doesn't want to be a Colt, then the move is smart. He denies everyone, not isolating the team he is avoiding and he gets picked up 2nd by the skins anyway.

Its hard to be objective, but when looking at this from a prospect's eyes this team has waaaaay too many variable factors right now for it to be attractive not just to dps but to fas as well. I'm not saying this team can't be good, its just that there is nothing of reference to gauge whether or not we will be, thus prospects may be reluctant to sign here.

Then kudos and preference should be given to those highly-rated draft prospects who have publicly stated that they would welcome the opportunity to joint the Colts.

From http://www.indystar.com/article/20120402/SPORTS03/120402033/Colts-put-QB-Andrew-Luck-through-private-workout-Tuesday

"

Luck would embrace being part of the Colts’ return to prominence. They tied an NFL record with nine consecutive playoff appearances before suffering through 2011 as Manning missed the full season with neck issues.

“Absolutely,” Luck said. “It’s been an incredible franchise. I would love to be part of that."

I'm not trying to pile-on but I'll just say I second this^^^

Luck's working out for teams privately and I like that. I'll say I'd rather that than for a potential qb to refuse and settle with where he's at. That doesn't look good and I mean that objectively.

#1 isn't a real question and I answered #2 in the very post you quoted (and acknowledged that any such strategy is certainly not beyond question in other posts). We obviously have a difference in opinion, I'm just pointing out that you guys need to ease off a bit in the firmness with which you hold yours because it is based on practically no hard evidence.

You just seem like you want to argue for the sake of arguing :)

You mistake me. I have no desire to argue with you.

I have merely stated my opinion on the matter, which I am sure are within board rules.

I'm not trying to pile-on but I'll just say I second this^^^

Luck's working out for teams privately and I like that. I'll say I'd rather that than for a potential qb to refuse and settle with where he's at. That doesn't look good and I mean that objectively.

It certainly is a more open and honest approach that befits one who is known to be humble with low ego.

I think RG3 feels he's set the bar so high with his pro day and Combine that he thinks all he can do is hurt himself with a privite workout. That or fear of injury are about the only two reasons why you would say no to a privite workout. That's why before I was just saying RG3 is telling everyone no not just the Colts like others were making it seem. It doesn't mean I agree with what RG3 is doing.

Personally if it were me running the Colts as long as Luck's right arm didn't fall off in the workout the fact that Luck said last week he wants to be a Colt and wants to work out with you would be enough to make me go with the kid if it was close between the two. Despite what others have said I don't even think it's that close. I think Luck went into this having to do something to make the Colts not take him number one overall no matter what RG3 did. While RG3 has been impressive I don't think Luck has done anything that would make the Colts not take him. I think the Colts are just doing their homework and crossing all their t's and dotting all their i's because that's what they should do. In the end I think I think are going to feel like while RG3 could be a special player Luck is just better.

I actually understand it. The Colts have seen all the tape, and they know what each player can do. They're looking for warts right now. Why give them a close-up look, then let some bad information get leaked, and hurt your draft stock? Next thing you know, the Skins are drafting Tannehill instead of Griffin, and he's dropping to the teens. I don't see his incentive for working out for the Colts, especially since they were at his pro day.

IMO, RGIII is not the problem...to me, Mr. Irsay continues to stir the pot. He knew RGIII was going to the Redskins, yet all of a sudden in the past week he is interested? He is the one I have the problem with!

Why shouldn't he be allowed to do his due diligence?

IMO, RGIII is not the problem...to me, Mr. Irsay continues to stir the pot. He knew RGIII was going to the Redskins, yet all of a sudden in the past week he is interested? He is the one I have the problem with!

Hold the phone we own the top pick Irsay has every right in the world to explore RG3 if he wishes. Just because the media has said the Colts will take Luck and the Redskins will take RG3 does not mean the Colts are wrong for wanting to take a look at RG3.

i think the Redskins are offering RG3 money behiind the doors to make sure he doesnt work out or do anything related with the Colts so they wont chose him.

If you take a look closely to anything RG3 has attended (such as his workouts), he has the coach and Redskins Snyder with him everywhere he goes like they are his bodyguard or something. I dont even see Redskins anywhere near interested in Andrew Luck.

Nope. But, if they had the FIRST pick in the draft they would have interest in Andrew Luck. ;)

Sick of this RG3 hype recently. The guy bugs me something awful and has for a while.....just a feeling on him.

Apparently he isnt working out for anyone according to what I was hearing on Sirius today.

If I wanted to be taken #1 I would go the extra mile but maybe he really wants to go the skins over the Colts.

I actually understand it. The Colts have seen all the tape, and they know what each player can do. They're looking for warts right now. Why give them a close-up look, then let some bad information get leaked, and hurt your draft stock? Next thing you know, the Skins are drafting Tannehill instead of Griffin, and he's dropping to the teens. I don't see his incentive for working out for the Colts, especially since they were at his pro day.

If you understand it, how can you explain Luck's willingness and assent to work out privately for the Colts? He has that much more to lose.

If you understand it, how can you explain Luck's willingness and assent to work out privately for the Colts? He has that much more to lose.

It's a win win for us Frog :foam:

Now I'm just worried what if Irsay wants to be defiant and deviate from the national speculation that the Colts will pick Luck and draft RGiii! :pullhair:

Dear God

It's a win win for us Frog :foam:

Now I'm just worried what if Irsay wants to be defiant and deviate from the national speculation that the Colts will pick Luck and draft RGiii! :pullhair:

Yes, you're right. Bottom line is that this RG3 move to deny a private workout request by the Colts favors the Colts picking Luck over RG3.

Well Im glad, cause there is no way I would ever pick RG3 over Luck. He can run faster, whoopdie fricken dooooooooooooooo!!

If you really believe that's the only reason colts could pick RGIII over Luck you might want to see both of them play. I'd still take Luck over RGIII in a heartbeat, but if the colts took RGIII I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be because he can run faster...

.....Are you serious? Think about what you said, what it means and what the NFL would do if it was true, how they could find out if it was true and the punishment the Redskins would receive.....I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do that knowing the punishment Goodell would likely deal out to them. Of course they don't seem anywhere as interested in Luck, because even a vietnamese monk who doesn't watch U.S. football knows the Colts are pretty much taking Luck, unless Luck turns into a crackhead the next 3 weeks..

Griffin has nothing to gain. At this point, he's either the first or second pick in the draft. Working out privately for any team other than the Colts does nothing to raise his draft stock. Working out for the Colts is a 50/50 proposition that could either raise his draft stock or lower it. And once he works out for the Colts, he has to work out for everyone else, which could continue to lower his stock.

I know he said he wants to be the first pick, but being locked in as the second pick isn't a bad place to be. He'd be risking that status by agreeing to private workouts.

Luck also has risk associated with doing private workouts. But I think his draft stock is a little more secure than Griffin's.

Griffin has nothing to gain. At this point, he's either the first or second pick in the draft. Working out privately for any team other than the Colts does nothing to raise his draft stock. Working out for the Colts is a 50/50 proposition that could either raise his draft stock or lower it. And once he works out for the Colts, he has to work out for everyone else, which could continue to lower his stock.

I know he said he wants to be the first pick, but being locked in as the second pick isn't a bad place to be. He'd be risking that status by agreeing to private workouts.

Luck also has risk associated with doing private workouts. But I think his draft stock is a little more secure than Griffin's.

Yes, Luck also faces the same risk associated with doing private workouts. Luck has nothing to gain by agreeing to workout. At this point, he's the first pick in the draft. Working out privately for any team including the Colts does nothing to raise his draft stock. Working out for the Colts is a 50/50 proposition that could either keep his draft stock at one or lower it. And once he works out for the Colts, he has to work out for everyone else, which could continue to lower his stock.

So, the question remains....why did Luck agree to it? and ...why did RG3 refuse it given his stated competitiveness in wanting to be the first picked?

Luck is risking a lot more than RG3, IMO.....unless, Luck is confident that he can perform up to expectations and RG3 may not feel the same way.

Yes, Luck also faces the same risk associated with doing private workouts. Luck has nothing to gain by agreeing to workout. At this point, he's the first pick in the draft. Working out privately for any team including the Colts does nothing to raise his draft stock. Working out for the Colts is a 50/50 proposition that could either keep his draft stock at one or lower it. And once he works out for the Colts, he has to work out for everyone else, which could continue to lower his stock.

So, the question remains....why did Luck agree to it? and ...why did RG3 refuse it given his stated competitiveness in wanting to be the first picked?

Luck is risking a lot more than RG3, IMO.....unless, Luck is confident that he can perform up to expectations and RG3 may not feel the same way.

I'm not advocating for Griffin's position. I'm just saying that I understand it. The Redskins moved up specifically to get Griffin. He's essentially a lock at #2. His agent may be advising that he not work out for anyone, in order to not risk his currently locked draft status. The money doesn't change.

Luck's camp may be confident that, by having a private workout with the Colts, he can further solidify his current status, and take any reservations off the table. No matter what happens, he won't drop past #2.

I get both angles. If I were Griffin's team, I'd probably tell him not to workout for anyone also, given the draft board, Tannehill's climb, and the money involved. I don't think his stated desire to be the #1 pick matters, either on the draft board or as his team is deciding whether he should do private workouts or not. After the Combine and his pro day, his stock is as high as it's ever been, and he'll likely go #2 overall. If he works out for the Colts, it could potentially drop his status out of the top 2. Too risky, even if he does want to be the #1 pick.

Point 1: RG3 has stated openly in his interview with Gruden that he is competitive and wants to be the #1 overall draft prospect picked in the upcoming draft.

Point 2: RG3 and his agent have denied the Colt's specific invitation for a private workout, per Irsay.

Point 3: The Colts possess the #1 overall draft pick in the upcoming draft.

If we believe the above 3 points as truth, I have a hard time reconciling them with each other. One of those points doesn't belong with the other points. Since I am pretty sure Point 3 is true, it must either be point 1 or point 2 that is faulty.

You can call me biased, but I give more credence to behavior than words. So I am saying that point 1 is not believable.

I'm forced to interject, at least from a logical perspective. I would propose the following addition to complete your argument:

Point 2: RG3 believes a private workout with a team would increase the likelihood of being selected by that team.

Point 3: RG3 and his agent have denied the Colt's specific invitation for a private workout, per Irsay.

Point 4: The Colts possess the #1 overall draft pick in the upcoming draft.

The arrogance is starting to show. This guy is going to be trouble in the attitude department. I said it before…….

Don’t need it

Don’t want it

Don’t even let it in the building :nono:

If he was trouble in the attitude department, NFL teams would be turned away from him. He's comfortable in his skin and that's pretty much it. Both him and Luck are loved by scouts and coaches not only because of their physical abilities, but because they act themselves and are both genuine.

The arrogance is starting to show. This guy is going to be trouble in the attitude department. I said it before…….

Don’t need it

Don’t want it

Don’t even let it in the building :nono:

You can make the argument that it is a bad business decision but not that he is trouble or arrogant.

I'm forced to interject, at least from a logical perspective. I would propose the following addition to complete your argument:

Point 2: RG3 believes a private workout with a team would increase the likelihood of being selected by that team.

Point 3: RG3 and his agent have denied the Colt's specific invitation for a private workout, per Irsay.

Point 4: The Colts possess the #1 overall draft pick in the upcoming draft.

Interject away!

I would only alter it slightly:

Point 2: RG3 believes a private workout with a team would increase the likelihood of being selected by that team, more than his film, proday or interviews could.

I can understand why RGIII declined the colts even though I believe it was a bad decision overall. One thing you can take away from his Pro Day was that the Redskins organization really made him feel like he was wanted more than any other team there. Shanahan, Schneider and Allen looked like they were doing everything possible to make him feel like a Redskin when they had chances to talk to Griffin during his pro day. If they make you feel like you're wanted in comparison to the team picking one spot ahead, then I can see why he would decline the Colts. There's also just the chance that he said he showed everyone everything at his pro day and that a private workout would't show anymore than what he showed at his pro day.