Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 17 Predicament

thatonefan

Alright fellas: let's say we're 10-5 heading to Jacksonville, and we're tied with the Titans but guaranteed at least the 7th seed. Let's also say the Jets somehow win a game before week 17. (Both bold assumptions I know, but hear me out) Do you intentionally try to lose that Week 17 game to make sure Trevor Lawrence does not go to the Jags? A reverse Suck-For-Luck situation, if you will?

On one hand, you possibly slip to a road playoff game against the Steelers, and you're pretty likely going to face the Chiefs if you win. On the other hand, you make sure that the Jags don't get Trevor Lawrence. Keep in mind, the Jets are also much higher in SOS than the Jaguars, and one win for both teams at the end of the season locks up #1 overall for the Jags.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

A Smart team would.

You would lose on purpose destroying any chance of a home game because of what might or might happen with Lawrence. 

Have you considered losing and Lawrence staying at Clemson

I am the biggest Lawrence supporter but losing cause you fear what might happen is beyond stupid

Just now, danlhart87 said:

You would lose on purpose destroying any chance of a home game because of what might or might happen with Lawrence. 

I am the biggest Lawrence supporter but losing cause you fear what might happen is beyond stupid

Not to mention it builds a really bad culture with your team.  Also good luck getting a group of highly competitive people who have spent their whole life using that to get to the NFL to lose on purpose because you are scared of what that team MIGHT do in the draft and having their respect afterwords.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I seriously hope you are joking 

Please, spare me the Holy Noble act.

If we were in the south instead of east at the time Manning's draft class was coming out. Do you think Titans,Jags, Texans fans & organizations would want to beat us in that last game and put us in position to kick their * for 14 years OR LOSE to us and be on same level as them??

No teams will admit to it, just like the members on this Forum won't.  But the thought is there which is why this thread was started. 

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If we were in the south instead of east at the time Manning's draft class was coming out. Do you think Titans,Jags, Texans fans & organizations would want to beat us in that last game and put us in position to kick their * for 14 years OR LOSE to us and be on same level as them??

No teams will admit to it, just like the members on this Forum won't.  But the thought is there which is why this thread was started. 

What if you win home field advantage and win the SB

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

There's no guarantees in NFL 

You are basing your ideas on something that hasn't even happened yet

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

No, potentially being a underdog in your division for 15 years if you can avoid it is STUPID. 

I wouldn't expect a different response from you or most others regardless of how you really felt.

Ask Raiders, Chargers, Broncos how the feel having Mahomes in their division for next decade. 

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

No, potentially being a underdog in your division for 15 years if you can avoid it is STUPID. 

I wouldn't expect a different response from you or most others regardless of how you really felt.

Ask Raiders, Chargers, Broncos how the feel having Mahomes in their division for next decade. 

Nobody could have predicted Chiefs trading up for Mahomes and him being extremely successful 

Chargers are struggling but I'm sure Chargers are happy with Herbert.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not to mention it builds a really bad culture with your team.  Also good luck getting a group of highly competitive people who have spent their whole life using that to get to the NFL to lose on purpose because you are scared of what that team MIGHT do in the draft and having their respect afterwords.

Lol, how naive.

The organization can lose a game on purpose without any players even knowing.  

Just bad gameplan, bad offensive/defensive playcalling etc...

Kinda what Reich did today according to the posts. Lol

A similar situation happened in our suck for luck season.  For some foolish reason, we almost beat Houston late in that season.  Winning that game would have cost us the Luck pick.  I guess we had dominated the Texans for so long that any win over us was a good win for them?  Even if it allowed us to draft Luck.  I was very thankful they came back and beat us.  Called them fools for winning that “meaningless” game. 

But ironically, the Texans would go on to have their greatest AFC South success during the Luck era.  Winning the division 6 out of the last 9 seasons. Imagine that... Maybe that was the football gods rewarding them for playing to win rather than fearing a QB who had yet to play a single down in the NFL???  Something to think over if the above listed scenario came to pass in week 17...

39 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So long as you're guaranteed a WC spot, but also can't improve you're position, you rest your starters.... 

You don't purposefully tank, but you prioritize health/rest over winning. You also kick FGs on 4th down.

Being up 24-20 with a chance to go up a td? What lunacy are you talking about. :sarcasm:

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well the Jags could have lost to us to the Colts to try keep them from drafting Luck but they didn’t...

41 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

A similar situation happened in our suck for luck season.  For some foolish reason, we almost beat Houston late in that season.  Winning that game would have cost us the Luck pick.  I guess we had dominated the Texans for so long that any win over us was a good win for them?  Even if it allowed us to draft Luck.  I was very thankful they came back and beat us.  Called them fools for winning that “meaningless” game. 

But ironically, the Texans would go on to have their greatest AFC South success during the Luck era.  Winning the division 6 out of the last 9 seasons. Imagine that... Maybe that was the football gods rewarding them for playing to win rather than fearing a QB who had yet to play a single down in the NFL???  Something to think over if the above listed scenario came to pass in week 17...

The Colts didn’t almost beat Houston that year they did best Houston that year.  You know why?  Because a large number of people on that team weren’t back the next year. Do you really think they gave a damn that the Colts got Luck because they lost games and ultimately their jobs?

50 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So long as you're guaranteed a WC spot, but also can't improve you're position, you rest your starters.... 

You don't purposefully tank, but you prioritize health/rest over winning. You also kick FGs on 4th down.

I would agree but resting the starters if you can is different than the situation that’s being proposed.  

You have to play for the win. 
In an ideal world, we win our division and the super bowl. 

That's not likely to happen. But, we have to hope it does as Colts fans. 

If we could predict the future & Lawrence dominated for 15 years, of course I would want to lose to avoid that. But, we can't. 

Either way, the Jags are going to be a force here soon. Fields will take them places. We'll have another Deshaun Watson on our hands twice a year. 

If we really want to lose week 17, we can just take a page out of Louisiana football's game plan and have the long snapper snap 3 balls over the punter's head lol

5 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

You have to play for the win. 
In an ideal world, we win our division and the super bowl. 

That's not likely to happen. But, we have to hope it does as Colts fans. 

If we could predict the future & Lawrence dominated for 15 years, of course I would want to lose to avoid that. But, we can't. 

Either way, the Jags are going to be a force here soon. Fields will take them places. We'll have another Deshaun Watson on our hands twice a year. 

If we really want to lose week 17, we can just take a page out of Louisiana football's game plan and have the long snapper snap 3 balls over the punter's head lol

I am not really high on Fields.  I think he plays on a super loaded Ohio State team who the Big 10 protects.  It would be hard for any NFL level QB not to put up great numbers in that situation.  Remember when Haskins did it a couple of years ago?  How’s that working out for him with the Washington football team?

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Being up 24-20 with a chance to go up a td? What lunacy are you talking about. :sarcasm:

I know, crazy. right!

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I would agree but resting the starters if you can is different than the situation that’s being proposed.  

Exactly. Never tank. But feel free to rest.... 

23 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts didn’t almost beat Houston that year they did best Houston that year.  You know why?  Because a large number of people on that team weren’t back the next year. Do you really think they gave a damn that the Colts got Luck because they lost games and ultimately their jobs?

You’re right.  The rest of the AFC South (Tennessee & Houston) conveniently lost to us the 2 weeks prior.  And it came down to that Jags game and it was the Jags that beat us and ensured we got Luck.  And I couldn’t give a damn whether those players gave a damn or not.  Players go out there and play to win.  I get that.  

But I bet you Irsay quietly DID NOT want to win out.    I thought it was foolish from a fan perspective  of our organization to almost throw away the chance to get Luck by nearly winning out the last 3 weeks.  And I thought it was doubly foolish for the Jags to win that game and basically make sure we got Luck (again ironic that they would end up having the best success vs Luck in the division though).  The rest of the division did their part.  Jags didn’t get the memo.

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not really high on Fields.  I think he plays on a super loaded Ohio State team who the Big 10 protects.  It would be hard for any NFL level QB not to put up great numbers in that situation.  Remember when Haskins did it a couple of years ago?  How’s that working out for him with the Washington football team?

I'm sure I'm a little biased, but I try not to be with OSU prospects. I NEVER thought Haskins was a good QB, and he often caused the offense at Ohio State to stall on many occasions. 

Fields is a different animal, and he has superb accuracy. 

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

You’re right.  The rest of the AFC South (Tennessee & Houston) conveniently lost to us the 2 weeks prior.  And it came down to that Jags game and it was the Jags that beat us and ensured we got Luck.  And I couldn’t give a damn whether those players gave a damn or not.  Players go out there and play to win.  I get that.  

But I bet you Irsay quietly DID NOT want to win out.    I thought it was foolish from a fan perspective  of our organization to almost throw away the chance to get Luck by nearly winning out the last 3 weeks.  And I thought it was doubly foolish for the Jags to win that game and basically make sure we got Luck (again ironic that they would end up having the best success vs Luck in the division though0.  The rest of the division did their part.  Jags didn’t get the memo.

Rather Irsay wanted to win or not is irrelevant because the players and coaches weren’t going to lay down for another guy.  If I recall Mathis even said I don’t give a damn when asked about Luck and was really * that people brought up them blowing their chance to get Luck.  Again, the players and coaches don’t throw games because it breads a bad culture on your team that losing is ok and losing gets you fired and replaced in this league just like what happened to the Colts staff and a large number of players on that roster.  They were trying to win to save their jobs and the embarrassment of being one of the worst teams of all time.  They just didn’t have the guys to pull it off.  Also if I recall the that loss to the Colts cost the Texans a bye so no I don’t think they tried to lose to the Colts to try to avoid getting Luck.  So they didn’t do their part they just got beat.  

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

IND actually played JAC in Week 17 in 2011...and JAC won. Colts would no doubt return the favor.

But the difference is that JAC would have to own tiebreakers over the NYJ to ensure the pick..because the Colts were locked in at #1 overall before that game (assuming they lost).

Archived