Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers haters eat crow

danlhart87

5 minutes ago, Numba1Colt said:

just saying the colts get going on offense, then get going on defense. do all that work.

and then, with a 1 pt lead and getting the ball back with a short field. rivers throws incomplete, then forces it deep and gets picked off

then the colts got lucky with a missed field goal and then Rivers missed a wide open walk in TD deep because Rivers overthrows him then can't convert a 3rd and 4 to keep the ball and eat clock and move the chains

he's OK... he still tried to implode

I missed the game. Could you please give me a rundown on his good plays? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, King Colt said:

With 14:50 left to play in the second quarter the Bengals led 21-0. The Colts squirmed by the Bengals by the skin of their teeth. No good.

Yes and the only reason they did was because of Rivers which is what this thread is about.  I am sure there are or will be plenty of threads about what didn’t go well today.  What did go well and why they won was Rivers.

11 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

Does anyone not realize that he has to do this against elite teams and not bottom feeders?

He's played 6 games as a Colt.

Give him some time to build some rapport with the WRs (who are constantly being re-shuffled with injuries) and the rest of the offense.

No preseason this year.

The throws he made today will translate.  Reich just has to keep being aggressive with the vertical passing game.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And why was it close?  Oh that’s right the “elite” defense everyone has been praising spotted the Bengals a 21-0 nothing lead and Rivers came out and did what a lot of people were saying he couldn’t do anymore period.  If people want to be highly critical of Rivers last week, myself included, you have to give him credit when he plays a game many didn’t think he still could regardless of who it’s against.

Again it was done vs the Bengals. It's not the Ravens defense. Not saying he didn't play well, but we gotta call it for what it. An inexperienced, young team still learning to win.

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

I missed the game. Could you please give me a rundown on his good plays? Thanks in advance.

Colts defense give up TD, TD, TD, FG in the first 4 drives to start the game.

Conservative O play calling, and a Doyle fumble early killed our first 3 drives.

Rivers then goes on a tear with back to back to back TD drives in the 2Q

Then a TD and FG in the 2H. 

The D was atrocious most of the first 1H, but did better end of 1H and the beginning of the 2H. 

Cinci missed a late FG, but had the ball driving late down 4, and Blackmon got an INT to seal it.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He did but I clearly said for a rookie in his first action which what Eason would have been today.  Again, Luck was thought to be great so that backs up my point.

I personally don’t think Luck accomplished enough to be considered great.  He was possibly headed for greatness but he cut all that short.  He was very good in my opinion but did not achieve the accolades MVP, records or championships, etc. that help establish legacy and greatness.  I offer my opinion as an aside and not to diminish the point you were making. 

1 minute ago, zibby43 said:

He's played 6 games as a Colt.

Give him some time to build some rapport with the WRs (who are constantly being re-shuffled with injuries) and the rest of the offense.

No preseason this year.

The throws he made today will translate.  Reich just has to keep being aggressive with the vertical passing game.

It seemed like Rivers got more comfortable the more throws he made.  The man was definitely feeling it today.  Was throwing pretty well over the top and underneath.  We will need to do that more as the schedule gets harder after the break.

Let Rivers flow!

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Again it was done vs the Bengals. It's not the Ravens defense. Not saying he didn't play well, but we gotta call it for what it. An inexperienced, young team still learning to win.

Let’s not act like Rivers was why it was close.  If I told people before the day started the Colts offense would score 31 points today most people would have thought they blew out the Bengals.

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I personally don’t think Luck accomplished enough to be considered great.  He was possibly headed for greatness but he cut all that short.  He was very good in my opinion but did not achieve the accolades MVP, records or championships, etc. that help establish legacy and greatness.  I offer my opinion as an aside and not to diminish the point you were making. 

Clearly Luck didn’t play long enough to be considered an all time great that wasn’t my point sorry for not being more clear.  My point was when he was healthy Luck was sought of as a great QB who could have moved into that all time great category but injuries derailed that.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Let’s not act like Rivers was why it was close.  If I told people before the day started the Colts offense would score 31 points today most people would have thought they blew out the Bengals.

I didn't say it was Rivers fault. All I'm saying is this game should not have gone down like this.

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You claimed they were tanking a couple of hours ago

they  looked like they were .   well see like i said i still dont think they are a playoff team yet.   They had a easy schedule , and were down 3 touchdowns to a 1-4 team .   I rather have them tank i said also i rather get a sure lock pro bowl franchise QB trevor lawrence then be stuck in a cycle of going between 7-9 and 9-7 every year .    your not looking at the big picture if the colts did not tank in 2011 it would be bad.

Due to Covid, I can’t see games this year.   I get selected hilites and live look-ins on the NFL Network and the Red Zone channel. 

That said...   as a general rule for this team,  we do NOT want to be throwing more than 40 times.   If we are, it’s because we have to, not because we want to. 

The more we throw, the more desperate we are.   It didn’t work against J’Ville, but it did today vs Cincy.  Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. 

4-2 at the break.   Hopefully we get healthier at the bye week.   Next up: A much improved Detroit team.   Then, the hard part of the schedule...   hold on tight,   it’s going to be a bumpy ride! 

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I didn't say it was Rivers fault. All I'm saying is this game should not have gone down like this.

But saying it in the Rivers thread seems to be hinting it was because of Rivers.  I feel that take belongs more in the defense thread.  The offense isn’t why this game was close. 

2 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Anyone know the run/pass ratio for the game?  It sure seemed like we passed a lot today - which I don’t mind if it was working.

15 run / 44 pass

5 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

well yeah but the titans are 5-0, Tannehill is playing like a top 5 QB and Derrick Henry is the best HB in the game

Titans have squeaked out at least 4 of the wins.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Due to Covid, I can’t see games this year.   I get selected hilites and live look-ins on the NFL Network and the Red Zone channel. 

That said...   as a general rule for this team,  we do NOT want to be throwing more than 40 times.   If we are, it’s because we have to, not because we want to. 

The more we throw, the more desperate we are.   It didn’t work against J’Ville, but it did today vs Cincy.  Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. 

4-2 at the break.   Hopefully we get healthier at the bye week.   Next up: A much improved Detroit team.   Then, the hard part of the schedule...   hold on tight,   it’s going to be a bumpy ride! 

That’s not the plan but they had to today because the defense and ground game weren’t working.  Sill credit to Rivers doing what many said he still couldn’t.  I agree if this becomes the long term pattern the Colts are in trouble.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The throw number are a bit skewed because several were screen/swing passes that replaced runs

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

grumpy cat no GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

He had a good game today. 

But that does not change who he is.

He’s still Rivers, and that still comes with all of the same pros and cons it always has. We got (mostly) the pros today. We’re still going to suffer the cons more often than not. 

Facts...especially if we need him to drop back to pass 40+ times on a regular basis.  That usually means the Colts are playing from behind.  Colts have got to find that proper run/pass play calling balance and get their running game on track to help Rivers out.  They can’t put that much game pressure on his arm on a regular basis.  Happy that Rivers was able to succeed today against the Bengals.  Would have been embarrassing to lose that game and a tough loss to stomach given the tough stretch of opponents coming up on the schedule. 

5 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Anyone know the run/pass ratio for the game?  It sure seemed like we passed a lot today - which I don’t mind if it was working.

They did, they had too.  Outside of one series where they ran Taylor outside the ground game was nonexistent today.  The only things that played well today was the passing game and special teams.

Archived