Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers haters eat crow

danlhart87

I will eat crow also.Rivers played very well today but the key was the offensive line was giving him most of the time good protection. It was also nice to see some receivers step up like Johnson, Harris and Burton. I still would look like to see us get Taylor the ball more in open space.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Numba1Colt said:

just saying the colts get going on offense, then get going on defense. do all that work.

and then, with a 1 pt lead and getting the ball back with a short field. rivers throws incomplete, then forces it deep and gets picked off

then the colts got lucky with a missed field goal and then Rivers missed a wide open walk in TD deep because Rivers overthrows him then can't convert a 3rd and 4 to keep the ball and eat clock and move the chains

he's OK... he still tried to implode

My question is why in h#!! was Reich passing on to start that series? Taylor was averaging 5.7 yds per carry at that time in the game and Reich passes on 1st and 2nd down. His play calling baffles me some times. 

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

grumpy cat no GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

He had a good game today. 

But that does not change who he is.

He’s still Rivers, and that still comes with all of the same pros and cons it always has. We got (mostly) the pros today. We’re still going to suffer the cons more often than not. 

Here’s the thing if you read the thread no one is saying this is the Rivers we are going to see every game from here on out.  In fact, if anything, people are saying if has to play this way the rest of the way out the Colts are in trouble.

What people are saying is that after he played awful last week and we had people saying he could never play like this at all and he needed to be benched and had a noodle arm he responded the way you want.  He had a great game today on a day where no other phase of the game, aside from special teams, played well.  Not the o-line, not the running game, not the defense.  He carried them today and without him the Colts aren’t even in this game let alone winning it.  He deserves credit for that.  

He deserved every bit of the ripping he got last week and he deserves the credit he’s getting today.  If you can’t admit that then that exposes you as someone who won’t like anything Rivers does.  

1 hour ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

It was definitely his best game of the year, now with that said...

1) He’s playing the Bengals

2) A lot of his completions were the result of finding the open guy against blitzes or checkdowns.

3) When he did push it down the field, the receivers were wide open. 

I have serious doubts that he can have this kind of production against even a good defense, but it was a nice game for him today.

You must have missed the Doyle and pascal touchdowns

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

His ball placement was great today. That int was a stupid decision but didn’t cost us this week. The TD to pascal was really good. Burton came alive today. Hopefully we keep this up. Getting Johnson in the deep ball is going to keep opening everything else up if we can continue to hit that deep pass.

The Doyle touchdown was awesome too !!!

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Here’s the thing if you read the thread no one is saying this is the Rivers we are going to see every game from here on out.  In fact, if anything, people are saying if has to play this way the rest of the way out the Colts are in trouble.

What people are saying is that after he played awful last week and we had people saying he could never play like this at all and he needed to be benched and had a noodle arm he responded the way you want.  He had a great game today on a day where no other phase of the game, aside from special teams, played well.  Not the o-line, not the running game, not the defense.  He carried them today and without him the Colts aren’t even in this game let alone winning it.  He deserves credit for that.  

He deserved every bit of the ripping he got last week and he deserves the credit he’s getting today.  If you can’t admit that then that exposes you as someone who won’t like anything Rivers does.  

No. I won’t like anything Rivers does. I’ve been clear on that. I’ve never been a Rivers fan. He’s a guy who can keep you slightly enough above average to keep you hoping, but he’s not the guy who can take you all that way regardless of the pieces around him. He had plenty of good teams that should have had better results in SD. 

This is just another one of those flashes that makes people grant him lenience for playing average or poorly the rest of the time. It’s a viscous cycle that has been going on his entire professional career.

I want a guy that we can at least think has a shot to carry us to a Super Bowl. Anyone who believes Rivers can carry any team to a Super Bowl is kidding themselves. 

Which is exactly my whole original point regardless of what anyone said or didn’t say previously in this thread, or this week or last week or anytime. It was a nice game, but it doesn’t change anything. He’s still the same player he always was and there will be plenty to offset the good he did today. 

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Frank keeps trying to force the ball into the middle behind Kelly and Q which makes sense but teams are just sitting on it.  Hopefully rivers today might back teams off a little.

IIRC, Q through Glow isn't really the issue, unless Hines is running there. Most of the issues have been running over T. 

18 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

My question is why in h#!! was Reich passing on to start that series? Taylor was averaging 5.7 yds per carry at that time in the game and Reich passes on 1st and 2nd down. His play calling baffles me some times. 

This board still continues to baffle me.  Weekly I see complaints about how predictable the game plan is by running on first down up the gut.

Now the complaint - and I hope it is the only one - about throwing it when JT is averaging 5.7 a carry, yet it’s because of River’s arm we are back in the game.

This just baffles me...

55 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He also had a couple runs of 12 and 17 as well. Like I said, he’s coming along slowly but I think he’ll get better

I absolutely think he'll be fine. Problem wasn't him, it was our OL, and Cinci keying on the run early (which I think we all expected).

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

No. I won’t like anything Rivers does. I’ve been clear on that. I’ve never been a Rivers fan. He’s a guy who can keep you slightly enough above average to keep you hoping, but he’s not the guy who can take you all that way regardless of the pieces around him. He had plenty of good teams that should have had better results in SD. 

This is just another one of those flashes that makes people grant him lenience for playing average or poorly the rest of the time. It’s a viscous cycle that has been going on his entire professional career.

I want a guy that we can at least think has a shot to carry us to a Super Bowl. Anyone who believes Rivers can carry any team to a Super Bowl is kidding themselves. 

Which is exactly my whole original point regardless of what anyone said or didn’t say previously in this thread, or this week or last week or anytime. It was a nice game, but it doesn’t change anything. He’s still the same player he always was and there will be plenty to offset the good he did today. 

Why don't you like Rivers ? What has he ever done to you ?

Did Rivers impregnate your wife or something and your here to tell us Rivers really has 10 children???

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I absolutely think he'll be fine. Problem wasn't him, it was our OL, and Cinci keying on the run early (which I think we all expected).

Things also changed when the offense started to do more outside zone run plays. Not sure why those have been noticeably absent this year.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

1. The Bengals have played everyone close save for the Ravens. Burrow is good and the Bengals defense is a top 15 unit by most advanced stats.

2. Is that supposed to be a negative? Not sure what's wrong with that. That's what playing QB is about.

3. Rinse and repeat #2.

He has already done it against good defenses. Ask Chicago. And like I already said, the Bengals have a decent defense by most advanced stats.

They scored 19 points against Chicago, settled for field goals most of the game. Today’s effort was better, wasn’t saying it was a positive or negative, just stating what happened and he’s still who he has been all year. If you look at his splits on home vs. road games, that’s where there is cause for concern. If the colts make the playoffs and he’s playing outside at Buffalo, Kansas City or Baltimore in conditions, it could be a real problem.

6 minutes ago, PrNum1 said:

Why don't you like Rivers ? What has he ever done to you ?

Did Rivers impregnate your wife or something and your here to tell us Rivers really has 10 children???

In fairness Rivers has caused me a lot of heart ache and there was the one playoff game where he was a horses behind to our fans so he’s the one guy I can sorta get fans not liking out side of like Brady.

17 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Then your a hater if you can’t put aside your dislike of a guy on day when he bailed your team out and give him credit for that day and still need to take shots at him, no need to waste more time on it.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Then your a hater if you can’t put aside your dislike of a guy on day when he bailed your team out and give him credit for that day and still need to take shots at him, no need to waste more time on it.

Yes. Where have I not made it clear, crystal clear, that I don’t like Rivers? I even said that and still, somehow, here we are. I can’t wait until this Rivers experiment is over. 

I hate Phillip Rivers.

Now, where is the disconnect?

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

In fairness Rivers has caused me a lot of heart ache and there was the one playoff game where he was a horses behind to our fans so he’s the one guy I can sorta get fans not liking out side of like Brady.

He does mix it up with opposing fans in the stands on occasion not just Colts fans. Some fans like it and give it back and others take offense to it.

Its all clean and he doesn't cuss and uses words like aw shucks and shoot.

Sorry Colts fans were so offended 

Just now, John Waylon said:

Yes. Where have I not made it clear, crystal clear, that I don’t like Rivers? I even said that and still, somehow, here we are. I can’t wait until this Rivers experiment is over. 

I hate Phillip Rivers.

Like I just said that just makes you a hater where is the disconnect on that?  If there isn’t any we agree.  Like I also just said no need to waste anymore time on it.  Personally I am all for anyone who wears the horse shoe and helps us win a game when the rest or the team doesn’t play well.  

1 minute ago, PrNum1 said:

He does mix it up with opposing fans in the stands on occasion not just Colts fans. Some fans like it and give it back and others take offense to it.

Its all clean and he doesn't cuss and uses words like aw shucks and shut.

Sorry Colts fans were so offended 

Point being he’s one of the few players in the NFL that has actually given them a reason to not like him lol.

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I hate Phillip Rivers.

Never thought I’d witness Rivers Derangement Syndrome but here we are.

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I hate Phillip Rivers.

Its ok man. It just seems that your hate goes beyond that he's a poor player in your eyes and it seems personal. 

I was just wondering what he did to make you hate him so much.

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I hate Phillip Rivers.

It's ok to dislike rivers but saying he played well today won't kill you

36 minutes ago, Restored said:

Things also changed when the offense started to do more outside zone run plays. Not sure why those have been noticeably absent this year.

I really don't like the zone runs over the Ts, but I do love seeing them hit the edge hard. Infrequent, but when we've done it, they've been successful. 

IMO, Rivers was brought in to win us the 2 or 3 games that JB could not.  And to let opponents know that our QB is capable of winning us a game, which might worth another 2 games. 

It became apparent that JB would not win us games, and opponents began to know that.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

IMO, Rivers was brought in to win us the 2 or 3 games that JB could not.  And to let opponents know that our QB is capable of winning us a game, which might worth another 2 games. 

It became apparent that JB would not win us games, and opponents began to know that.

Jacoby doesn’t win today’s game so that’s one.  Honestly if Rivers can follow up this performance with another good one vs the Lions I think you’ll see the running game open up because teams will back off to stop the pass.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Jacoby doesn’t win today’s game so that’s one.  Honestly if Rivers can follow up this performance with another good one vs the Lions I think you’ll see the running game open up because teams will back off to stop the pass.

Exactly.  We don't win this game if JB is the QB. 

I don't think Rivers is the same QB he was, but he was brought in to be a clear upgrade over JB and that's what he has been, mistakes included.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Exactly.  We don't win this game if JB is the QB. 

I don't think Rivers is the same QB he was, but he was brought in to be a clear upgrade over JB and that's what he has been, mistakes included.

We just need more this Rivers and less Browns Rivers.  This Rivers is what the Colts paid for.  

Archived