Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We should trade for Zach Ertz

Coltivated

22 minutes ago, Coltivated said:

listen they love Goedert and haven't payed Etrz yet. There is frustration. I don't know how high a PC I would give maybe a three with a conditional later.  Any opinions.  Do forget Reich connection there too.

This isn't a bad idea honestly, but Ertz does want to be paid soon, so we'd probably have to extend him immediately. He'd be a huge upgrade over anything we currently have, and yes, Reich has a former connection with him.

My first reaction is to reject trades for big name players because they're usually knee jerks, but I can see some logic here that's worth thinking about.  We do have a need a TE and Ertz is one of the best possible players to plug that gap. 

Also I suspect that if we don't move on Ertz and the Eagles continue to fall out of contention, another team like the Patriots might snap him up.  The Patriots are even weaker than we are at TE, at least we have Doyle, they've got nobody.

The only question in my mind is, are we actually buyers at this point.

we know the roster has some holes in it.  Are they obstacles to overcome or fatal flaws?  Is it better to try to make a winner now, or keep our powder dry for the Eason era?  Too much we don't know right now

We'll know the truth in a few weeks, and I don't expect Ballard to be incredibly aggressive unless he thinks it's go time.  Ballard has been a bit of a "the Process" kinda GM to this point, so I don't see him splurging on big names unless we look like we're close to contending.

One of the reasons the Eagles can’t pay Ertz is, they went after free agents and have little cap space.

We’ve got some players to sign and even though Ertz has the numbers (he’s been their primary target), I’d hate to overpay and not be able to sign our own. We’d probably have to give up a 2 for him.

Ertz is not a great run blocker and is 30 yrs old. 
Pass on Ertz.

Well just because Ertz wants a trade, doesn't mean it will actually happen.  He can "force" a trade, but force is in quotes because the team owns rights.  They are using him enough to have no interest in a trade.  He did spend 85% of offensive snaps on the field last week.  Yeah he's a fit, but are we willing to extend a contract to Ertz AND coax the Eagles into a trade for a player they clearly need?  Meh, sounds like a recipe for paying too much overall to the team and player.

Oh and I second @coltsfeva, 30 years old...

4 hours ago, Coltivated said:

listen they love Goedert and haven't payed Etrz yet. There is frustration. I don't know how high a PC I would give maybe a three with a conditional later.  Any opinions.  Do forget Reich connection there too.

Yes they did use Ertz last week. He had 3 catches and a TD. 

4 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

we know the roster has some holes in it.  Are they obstacles to overcome or fatal flaws?  Is it better to try to make a winner now, or keep our powder dry for the Eason era?  Too much we don't know right now

We'll know the truth in a few weeks, and I don't expect Ballard to be incredibly aggressive unless he thinks it's go time.  Ballard has been a bit of a "the Process" kinda GM to this point, so I don't see him splurging on big names unless we look like we're close to contending.

The 'Eason era' ? 

Sounds like a pretty far fetched assumption....

Man, Ertz is intriguing.

Pros:

Huge need, would do wonders for our offense.

Knows Reich system

Cons:

$12-$15m to re-sign.4-5 years

Would most likely cost a 2nd round pick(maybe 3rd?)

Maybe we can trade them Doyle in the deal to take his cap hit. 

5 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Will there BE an Eason era? As bad as we looked perhaps we're still in the race for the #1 pick.  We have zero info on Eason. No pre season, we know more about Kelly than Eason at this point. 

A little overreaction here.  Doyle is not going on IR last I read.  He could be back next week.  Burton is on IR and should be back in a few weeks.  We should be favored in the next four games.  No reason to get nervous this early.   A lot can still happen leading up to the trade deadline.  Maybe the Bucs get off to a bad start with Brady and Howard might suddenly become available or some other TE on a struggling team.   I am not really worried about our offense right now in the early part of our schedule.  I think we have time to let the season play out a little further.  

14 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I saw a post of someone suggesting a OG Martin for Ertz TE trade.

If that happened who wins 

The team that traded for Zach. (That joke doesn’t work because they spell their names differently). 

But the answer is the team that gets Martin. Ertz is aging and Martin has several years left.

16 hours ago, Coltivated said:

Ertz is great, but i wouldnt trade anything above a 3rd at MOST for him. He is 29 (will be 30 in November).

And he would definitely go for more than a 3rd.

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

A little overreaction here.  Doyle is not going on IR last I read.  He could be back next week.  Burton is on IR and should be back in a few weeks.  We should be favored in the next four games.  No reason to get nervous this early.   A lot can still happen leading up to the trade deadline.  Maybe the Bucs get off to a bad start with Brady and Howard might suddenly become available or some other TE on a struggling team.   I am not really worried about our offense right now in the early part of our schedule.  I think we have time to let the season play out a little further.  

Wow - you are preaching restraint. Normally you are all in on any trade mentioned. 

Pretty sure there are snowmen in H-E-L-L right now as that sentiment from you surely means it froze over. 

11 hours ago, w87r said:

Man, Ertz is intriguing.

Pros:

Huge need, would do wonders for our offense.

Knows Reich system

Cons:

$12-$15m to re-sign.4-5 years

Would most likely cost a 2nd round pick(maybe 3rd?)

Maybe we can trade them Doyle in the deal to take his cap hit. 

To your last sentence. 

They are not going to augment a position of need by trading a guy at that position of need. That accomplishes nothing. 

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

To your last sentence. 

They are not going to augment a position of need by trading a guy at that position of need. That accomplishes nothing. 

I probably wouldn't even make the deal, tbh, but if we did it would be nice to use the $6m/yr over next couple years towards Ertz big contract(because we would have to sign him to extension if we make the trade)

Also, Doyle being injured all the time is the reason we would be looking to bring Ertz in anyway.

So I disagree with your take there.

Trading an overpriced often injured TE for an upgrade at TE is making the position better.

If we made the trade w/o Doyle(or shipping him to another team), we would have $20m wrapped up in TEs, that probably isnt a good thing.

Archived