Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Release First Unofficial Depth Chart Of 2020 Season

AWalkerColts

Click here to check it out, with a little bit of analysis at each position.

It's a little bit different than last season — 12 positions now listed on both sides of the ball, including an extra WR spot (Parris Campbell) and the nickel cornerback spot (Kenny Moore II and Isaiah Rodgers).

I think this officially means the regular season is now here!

23 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

The depth on oline is downright concerning to me. 

Me too, especially behind AC. They said Clark looked good in camp but that’s a scary thought without a mobile QB.  

They obviously like who they kept, but I will be surprised if they don’t pick someone up soon.  

DL - I'm happy to see Autry back at DE. Houston/Buckner/Stewart/Autry will definitely improve our pass rush. I'm sure he'll slide inside at times, but this gets our 4 best on the field. 

DB - little surprised to see Rodgers as #2 at NB instead of Carrie. He's such a small guy. I know Carrie can play inside and out, but still think we see Carrie go to NB if Moore gets hurt.

WR - what they've listed is a bit confusing as far as X, Z, slot. We all know Pittman is the primary X, but he's listed after TY at Z, and we all know TY isn't an X. I'm glad they listed 3 WR spots this year, but just wished they listed them X, Z, slot. I know our scheme stresses "multiples" in terms of the same guys lining up in different places, so it's never perfect in terms of X, Z, and slot, etc., but this is a head scratcher. I'm guessing we see Pascal work more out of the slot too than last year.

LB - A little strange here with some of the movement. Speed moved from WILL to SAM, Adams to WILL, Franklin to MIKE, and Glasgow at WILL too. I know all of them learn multiple positions, and they'll shuffle if injury, but just looked strange.

OL - not worried any more than I was last year. Pretty sure we started with 8 then too. They must like Pinter a lot, which so do I. Green can swing to G if needed as can Pinter. Pretty flexible group of backups, and that doesn't even account for the possible shuffle from starters should there be an injury. Regardless, don't want to see any backups lol. 

4 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

A bit concerning that Michael PIttman didn't qualify for a starting position.  C'mon, dude.  You're a highly rated, very talented, highly drafted, big time WR from a big time school.  And you can't beat Zach Paschal for a starting job?

It's strange the way they are listed, but I wouldn't worry much about Pittman. Being a possession X is one of the hardest WR jobs for a rook. I'm sure he'll snap count will increase quickly if he's performing. I also think you'll see plenty of RZ and short yardage sets with both Pittman and Pascal (at slot) this year. I really wish they would list by X, Z, slot, but just can't get too caught up with that.

44 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

IIRC, we started with only 8 last year. We'll be fine.

43 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Don’t know if you saw the Ballard-Reich video...   but when the interview turned to OL the first name out of Ballard’s mouth was Le Raven Clark’s.   Called him the most improved OL.  Is very happy with the improvement.   Gave shoutouts to both Clark and the OL coach.    

So...   Clark, Pinter, who is earning great reviews for a rookie, and Green, a onetime third round draft pick, and that’s what most teams have as backups.   I think we compare favorably to the backup OL of any team.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Don’t know if you saw the Ballard-Reich video...   but when the interview turned to OL the first name out of Ballard’s mouth was Le Raven Clark’s.   Called him the most improved OL.  Is very happy with the improvement.   Gave shoutouts to both Clark and the OL coach.    

So...   Clark, Pinter, who is earning great reviews for a rookie, and Green, a onetime third round draft pick, and that’s what most teams have as backups.   I think we compare favorably to the backup OL of any team.  

Yup. I won't pretend that I don't wish we had more fire power and an heir to AC, but pretty happy overall. And I love hearing Clark is improving. I know he's not an heir to AC, but just happy to have a quality swing T. And who knows, maybe he'd be able in time to take RT if they ever wanted Smith to move to RG.

27 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

A bit concerning that Michael PIttman didn't qualify for a starting position.  C'mon, dude.  You're a highly rated, very talented, highly drafted, big time WR from a big time school.  And you can't beat Zach Paschal for a starting job?

First of all, he’s a rookie while Pascal is a solid, experienced, reliable receiver and a very good run blocker. 

Who starts at WR or even RB doesn’t mean as much as who gets the most plays.  That’s usually situational, but it tells a much more important story.  

6 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

OL depth not bad at all - Pinter, Clark, and Green form a solid backup OL group, with Pinter being able to play all positions and Clark and Green being able to play both T/G.

That's why they're backups and not starters.

Yup. We're already the 2nd highest spender in the NFL on OL, and that's with us having both Q and Smith still on rook contracts. Every team has a weak link, and every team has to balance their spend. I think folks really have unrealistic expectations some times. Just wait till Q sets the market, and Smith gets top 5 RT pay. Hope we can get a solid LT on a rook contract to replace AC when the time comes, because no way we can keep everyone together without strongly impacting other areas of the team. Bottom line, we need to very thankful for what we have lol, and our OL reserves aren't bad.

38 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Maybe because he is a rookie and there has been no preseason? Just saying

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

IIRC, we started with only 8 last year. We'll be fine.

The nice thing with our OL is we have multiple guys who can play several positions.  Sounds like Pinter is our new Haeg, but they like him primarily on the interior, so he could back up G or C (or T if really needed).  Big Q can move to C if needed (wouldn't want to see that, but he can play there).  Smith can play RT or either G spot.  Clark can play either T or G spot.  I really hope this doesn't happen, but say Kelly and Glow got hurt in the same game...  we could see Pinter at C, Smith at RG and Clark at RT and I still don't think we'd be that bad.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree that we're probably right on par with the rest of the league with the backup OL situation (though, the fact that Clark and Pinter can play multiple positions if needed may be a plus for us).  We also have a top 5 OL in the NFL and were the only team who had all of their starters play all 16 games last year (let's hope that becomes a trend).  

Also, on Clark, coming out of the draft, many said it'd take 3+ years for him to really establish himself in the league - basically, he had the physical traits, athleticism and demeanor, but was coming from a very unorthodox system and would need a lot of work to adjust to NFL game.  I would bet he'd do just fine if his number gets called.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. I won't pretend that I don't wish we had more fire power and an heir to AC, but pretty happy overall. And I love hearing Clark is improving. I know he's not an heir to AC, but just happy to have a quality swing T. And who knows, maybe he'd be able in time to take RT if they ever wanted Smith to move to RG.

Agree completely that Clark could move to RT if they moved Smith inside.  Also, wouldn't be shocked if he did OK at LT.  Problem with Smith at LT is his pass blocking... I imagine Ballard tries to address this in the coming off-season (i.e., finding a heir to AC) unless the 2022 NFL draft has some stud LTs in it (Ballard does a very good job of looking several years ahead at the draft - then again with covid and lots of CFB being canceled, there is a wrench thrown into forecasting).

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

The nice thing with our OL is we have multiple guys who can play several positions.  Sounds like Pinter is our new Haeg, but they like him primarily on the interior, so he could back up G or C (or T if really needed).  Big Q can move to C if needed (wouldn't want to see that, but he can play there).  Smith can play RT or either G spot.  Clark can play either T or G spot.  I really hope this doesn't happen, but say Kelly and Glow got hurt in the same game...  we could see Pinter at C, Smith at RG and Clark at RT and I still don't think we'd be that bad. 

Yup, lots of flexibility. I honestly think Q could play ANY OL position and grade out relatively well even at either T. Of course we don't want to have to do that lol. I also think Pinter could develop into a starting RG. Obviously they like him as a backup now at C and G, but I also think in time he could also back up RT. 

I really don't see Clark at G. I think he's pretty limited to swing T, but could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Agree completely that Clark could move to RT if they moved Smith inside.  Also, wouldn't be shocked if he did OK at LT.  Problem with Smith at LT is his pass blocking... I imagine Ballard tries to address this in the coming off-season (i.e., finding a heir to AC) unless the 2022 NFL draft has some stud LTs in it (Ballard does a very good job of looking several years ahead at the draft - then again with covid and lots of CFB being canceled, there is a wrench thrown into forecasting).

I really don't see Smith or Clark doing well at LT, but in a pinch, either will work short term. Nelson definitely makes playing LT easier, and can mask some things to an extent. I do think we have to draft an early LT in 2021 unless AC decides to extend. And I really can see him extend again if Rivers is working out. Rivers signing made his job a lot easier, and if you notice the timing, he extending the week we signed Rivers. I could see him tying himself to Rivers so to speak in terms of retirement. Also, River's quick time to throw is likely going to make Smith's pass pro grade a lot better. It's simply incredible our OL graded as well as they did with JBs high time to throw. Going from 2nd worst to top 5 should give several along the OL a boost in grade.

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Rookie WR rarely ever produce.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, lots of flexibility. I honestly think Q could play ANY OL position and grade out relatively well even at either T. Of course we don't want to have to do that lol. I also think Pinter could develop into a starting RG. Obviously they like him as a backup now at C and G, but I also think in time he could also back up RT. 

I really don't see Clark at G. I think he's pretty limited to swing T, but could be wrong.

I really don't see Smith or Clark doing well at LT, but in a pinch, either will work short term. Nelson definitely makes playing LT easier, and can mask some things to an extent. I do think we have to draft an early LT in 2021 unless AC decides to extend. And I really can see him extend again if Rivers is working out. Rivers signing made his job a lot easier, and if you notice the timing, he extending the week we signed Rivers. I could see him tying himself to Rivers so to speak in terms of retirement. Also, River's quick time to throw is likely going to make Smith's pass pro grade a lot better. It's simply incredible our OL graded as well as they did with JBs high time to throw. Going from 2nd worst to top 5 should give several along the OL a boost in grade.

In 2017, Clark appeared in 15 games and he started 5 games at RG.  I think you're right in that he makes a better T, but he does have NFL experience with at least 5 starts at RG.

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree that Rivers' release time will make it easier for all of our OL in pass-blocking and looking back it is impressive our OL protected Brissett so well even though he takes so long to get rid of the ball.  Even in notes from a scrimmage (I think the 2nd scrimmage) a reporter said the DL was getting to Brissett much more than to Rivers and he wasn't sure if that was because some of the 2nd-3rd string OL and DL were going against each other or because of Brissett's noticeably longer time to release the ball.  

And yea, in terms of having to replace AC if he got hurt this year, I think we'd be OK, especially since we have at least 2 very solid blocking TEs (Doyle and MAC) who could also lend a hand and should still have a strong enough interior running game to keep defenses on their toes regarding sending heavy pass rush from the outside.  

Finally, I think you're probably right about AC.  He said prior to last year that it was the healthiest he had been in a while due to changes in his conditioning, etc.  I'd have to think that for some of the older guys, especially a guy like AC who has had some nagging injuries throughout his career and who surely has made enough money to be comfortable retiring for a while  (and a degree from U. Villanova in case he needed to make $ elsewhere), that continuing to play is highly tied to ability to get another SB ring.  There  was a while this offseason where it seemed like AC was kind of checking to see if his heart was still in the game (right before he re-upped and again when he talked about covid).. going into last season, prior to Luck retiring, I imagine many guys on the team thought we had a legit shot at winning another SB and we wound up having a somewhat disappointing year with JB at the helm (plus injuries, etc. etc.).  It'd be very reasonable for AC to think 'man, I've got >$10mil in my bank account, I don't see the point in playing and risking any further injury or longterm damage to my body or brain, I can walk away and be happy with my career.. I like playing, but I don't think we have a shot to win a SB in the foreseeable future' and a few days later after signing Rivers changing to 'well, you know what, maybe we can win a SB in the next year or two if we've got a top QB for me to protect."

13 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

In 2017, Clark appeared in 15 games and he started 5 games at RG.  I think you're right in that he makes a better T, but he does have NFL experience with at least 5 starts at RG.

I know he's played G, but he was pretty bad doing so lol. That year's OL was pretty chaotic. Actually pretty chaotic even through the first 5 or so in 2018. 

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree that Rivers' release time will make it easier for all of our OL in pass-blocking and looking back it is impressive our OL protected Brissett so well even though he takes so long to get rid of the ball.  Even in notes from a scrimmage (I think the 2nd scrimmage) a reporter said the DL was getting to Brissett much more than to Rivers and he wasn't sure if that was because some of the 2nd-3rd string OL and DL were going against each other or because of Brissett's noticeably longer time to release the ball.  

I expect River TtT to increase this year a bunch. Not because he's going to take longer out of need, or slowing down, but because he's simply going to have more time. As far as JB is concerned, he's struggled with it since college, so IMO it's nothing to do with 2nd/3rd string in the grand scheme of things.

And yea, in terms of having to replace AC if he got hurt this year, I think we'd be OK, especially since we have at least 2 very solid blocking TEs (Doyle and MAC) who could also lend a hand and should still have a strong enough interior running game to keep defenses on their toes regarding sending heavy pass rush from the outside.  

Finally, I think you're probably right about AC.  He said prior to last year that it was the healthiest he had been in a while due to changes in his conditioning, etc.  I'd have to think that for some of the older guys, especially a guy like AC who has had some nagging injuries throughout his career and who surely has made enough money to be comfortable retiring for a while  (and a degree from U. Villanova in case he needed to make $ elsewhere), that continuing to play is highly tied to ability to get another SB ring.  There  was a while this offseason where it seemed like AC was kind of checking to see if his heart was still in the game (right before he re-upped and again when he talked about covid).. going into last season, prior to Luck retiring, I imagine many guys on the team thought we had a legit shot at winning another SB and we wound up having a somewhat disappointing year with JB at the helm (plus injuries, etc. etc.).  It'd be very reasonable for AC to think 'man, I've got >$10mil in my bank account, I don't see the point in playing and risking any further injury or longterm damage to my body or brain, I can walk away and be happy with my career.. I like playing, but I don't think we have a shot to win a SB in the foreseeable future' and a few days later after signing Rivers changing to 'well, you know what, maybe we can win a SB in the next year or two if we've got a top QB for me to protect."

I think between injury and frustration, AC just had doubts. Now he's happy, has a better team, has a chance at a ring, etc.. And let's be honest, he has a lot $, but he can still double his life earnings, and that's a huge incentive. Not saying money is everything, but he's still young.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I know he's played G, but he was pretty bad doing so lol. That year's OL was pretty chaotic. Actually pretty chaotic even through the first 5 or so in 2018. 

Yes, those were chaotic times.  Not disagreeing that he would be better fit at T than G, but I think he'd fair better if he was surrounded by Kelly and Smith or Kelly and AC if he had to play G this year for whatever reason.  Also, I think just as an NFL football player, he's likely improved a bunch w/ more experience and coaching after coming from his college system.

I expect River TtT to increase this year a bunch. Not because he's going to take longer out of need, or slowing down, but because he's simply going to have more time. As far as JB is concerned, he's struggled with it since college, so IMO it's nothing to do with 2nd/3rd string in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, I think Rivers' INT numbers were high last year in part b/c he was rushing throws a lot.  He'll have more time to avoid that this year, but he'll still release faster than JB.  And with the 2nd/3rd string, what the reporter said was something along the lines of Tyquan Lewis and Rob Windsor were looking dominate forcing 'sacks' but he wasn't sure if it was b/c Lewis and Windsor were actually very good (i.e., would they be getting into the backfield against Q, Kelly, and Glow as opposed to b/c they were playing against the 2nd/3rd string OL?) or because they had much more time to get into the backfield?).  

I think between injury and frustration, AC just had doubts. Now he's happy, has a better team, has a chance at a ring, etc.. And let's be honest, he has a lot $, but he can still double his life earnings, and that's a huge incentive. Not saying money is everything, but he's still young.

Ya, I get it that he's still young and can double his life earnings... but he's also got a strong education and could likely make good money with a job as a coach/commentator for NFL or in a total other industry as well (probably not top-10 LT money, but not like going back to making minimum wage by any means).  That said, I think as more and more stuff comes out about former NFL players having CTE and suffering from NFL injuries long after their career (e.g., Anton Randel-El said a couple years ago that at age 35 he couldn't even get up or down his steps b/c his body was so beat up -- this isn't the days of old where players  could afford to hang up their cleats and retire early to prevent them being crippled in their very young post-NFL adult lives).  Andrew Luck, IMO, is an example of that - a guy who was still in his prime but decided he'd rather live a long, healthy life ahead of him than continuing playing and dealing with nagging injuries for the rest of his life.  I honestly think AC is at the point where if he didn't think he could win a ring he'd walk away (you kind of eluded to this with the fact you pointed out he didn't sign his extension until it was clear Rivers was coming to Indy).  

17 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, those were chaotic times.  Not disagreeing that he would be better fit at T than G, but I think he'd fair better if he was surrounded by Kelly and Smith or Kelly and AC if he had to play G this year for whatever reason.  Also, I think just as an NFL football player, he's likely improved a bunch w/ more experience and coaching after coming from his college system.

Very true. But I guess I just look at his style and measurables (the little we've seen), and see his ceiling better at T.

Yes, I think Rivers' INT numbers were high last year in part b/c he was rushing throws a lot.  He'll have more time to avoid that this year, but he'll still release faster than JB.  And with the 2nd/3rd string, what the reporter said was something along the lines of Tyquan Lewis and Rob Windsor were looking dominate forcing 'sacks' but he wasn't sure if it was b/c Lewis and Windsor were actually very good (i.e., would they be getting into the backfield against Q, Kelly, and Glow as opposed to b/c they were playing against the 2nd/3rd string OL?) or because they had much more time to get into the backfield?).  

I've read a couple articles on River's INTs. Most are traced to catch up type hero ball IIRC. 

I'm not putting too much stock in who JB and Rivers were going against (in terms of TtT). Rivers has always been quick, and JB has always been slow. Rivers is just heads and tails better reading Ds, going through progressions, and throwing with anticipation. All the same areas that JB has struggled with consistently since college.

Ya, I get it that he's still young and can double his life earnings... but he's also got a strong education and could likely make good money with a job as a coach/commentator for NFL or in a total other industry as well (probably not top-10 LT money, but not like going back to making minimum wage by any means).  That said, I think as more and more stuff comes out about former NFL players having CTE and suffering from NFL injuries long after their career (e.g., Anton Randel-El said a couple years ago that at age 35 he couldn't even get up or down his steps b/c his body was so beat up -- this isn't the days of old where players  could afford to hang up their cleats and retire early to prevent them being crippled in their very young post-NFL adult lives).  Andrew Luck, IMO, is an example of that - a guy who was still in his prime but decided he'd rather live a long, healthy life ahead of him than continuing playing and dealing with nagging injuries for the rest of his life.  I honestly think AC is at the point where if he didn't think he could win a ring he'd walk away (you kind of eluded to this with the fact you pointed out he didn't sign his extension until it was clear Rivers was coming to Indy).  

I get the risk. But we can't compare Luck to AC. Luck has efu money, born with a silver spoon, and will inherit probably as much as he's worth now. AC certainly has enough to never worry about things for the rest of his life, but not comparable to Luck. This last contract sealed things for his kids, and another one could seal things for his grandkids lol. That's generational money he can lock up while still a young guy.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Very true. But I guess I just look at his style and measurables (the little we've seen), and see his ceiling better at T.

I agree with you here, all I was saying is he can definitely play guard if he was absolutely needed to which is a good thing, as although it may not be ideal, many teams probably have certain back-ups that are really one-trick ponies and literally couldn't switch from T to G or vice-versa if the situation dictated it.

I've read a couple articles on River's INTs. Most are traced to catch up type hero ball IIRC. 

Yes, forced throws often due to trying to comeback and forced throws which were forced faster than they would be here since his OL was awful.

I'm not putting too much stock in who JB and Rivers were going against (in terms of TtT). Rivers has always been quick, and JB has always been slow. Rivers is just heads and tails better reading Ds, going through progressions, and throwing with anticipation. All the same areas that JB has struggled with consistently since college.

Yea, I'm not disagreeing at all with you here.  Rivers gets the ball out faster than JB.  The fact that a reporter was questioning whether Lewis and Windsor looked very impressive on a drive was due to the fact they were performing at a high-level or because they were going against back-ups is a fair question - but he went out of his way to throw in 'or they could be getting to Brissett because he is noticeably holding the ball for much longer than Rivers' is not surprising but interesting.  Not being able to see the tape, it was just striking that a reporter would actually go out of his way to report that he saw very noticeable differences in TtT between the two QBs, so much so that it obviated his ability to actually judge the talent of the OL/DL when JB was on the field.

I get the risk. But we can't compare Luck to AC. Luck has efu money, born with a silver spoon, and will inherit probably as much as he's worth now. AC certainly has enough to never worry about things for the rest of his life, but not comparable to Luck. This last contract sealed things for his kids, and another one could seal things for his grandkids lol. That's generational money he can lock up while still a young guy.

My intent wasn't to make this a money issue.  Yes, Luck made more money than AC.  Yes, Luck was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.  Castonzo grew up in a family which owned a prominent Italian restaurant and went to boarding school in HS, so he probably wasn't coming from 'nothing' and he has a degree from Boston College (my apologies, said Villanova in first post).  And you're not wrong, he's making a lot more money by playing longer... my point was, he obviously was questioning if he still had the heart to play in the NFL by taking so long to decide on retirement or not.. he certainly doesn't need to do this anymore, as he's got plenty of $ (of course, everyone could always use more money)... the fact that he decided to re-up right around when Rivers came onboard  shows me he wants to win - I tend to doubt he would have re-upped if Ballard told him we were sticking with JB as the long-term solution or if we were going to draft a rookie and it'd be 2-3 years before we were seriously thinking about a SB again.. Rivers gives him the option/hope of winning now.

Finally, we don't need to compare AC to Luck.  My point there was, we're going to see more and more players retire earlier in their careers.  These guys today make a lot more than guys back in the day.  They are seeing all the negatives a long NFL career (at certain positions anyway) can have on body and brain after the career is over.  Even Pat McAfee said aside from hating Grigson, he just had made enough money and didn't feel like having to deal with a screwed up knee for the rest of his life after his last surgery (that's a punter we're talking about, who partially stopped playing in his prime because he wanted to be able to walk normally in his mid-30s/early 40s).  

14 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Maybe because he is a rookie and there has been no preseason? Just saying

Absolutely this... For some reason people are not tempering their expectations of Pittman like they would with any other rookie WR drafted. I know he is a great player and could transition well, but come on... we all know it is one of the harder transitions from college to the NFL at the WR position. It tends to take time for them to start lighting it up. 

People should be particularly lenient this year with no preseason..... but for some reason their expectations seem higher than ever.

I'd be more than happy with a 450 - 550 yards and 4 or 5 TD type season from Pittman this year. That would be more than good.... so long as Campbell takes the leap and Pascal picks up where he left off last year.

15 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I think you are way under valuing Paschal. He may just lead all of the Colts receivers this year. 

-The Colts once again boast a very strong tight end group in 2020, a staple of head coach Frank Reich's offense. Returning are the dependable Doyle, who is coming off his second Pro Bowl selection in 2019, and Alie-Cox, who continues improving both as a blocker and in the passing game. On Saturday, the Colts claimed Togiai off waivers from the Philadelphia Eagles; an undrafted rookie out of Oregon State, Togiai had 102 receptions for 1,048 yards and 10 touchdowns in 44 games with 37 starts for the Beavers. Another newcomer Trey Burton, who is strong in the run game and a strong weapon as a receiver, was placed on injured reserve today due to a calf injury, so he'll be missing at least the first three games of the season.

A very strong TE group? Compared to NE maybe.

Doyle and MAC are good blockers...but from a pass catching standpoint...the listed TE depth chart is very meh...probably slightly better than the 2017 TE group...which featured Doyle, Brandon Williams and UDFA Darrell Daniels. 

(But at least that season they knew that JB would be starting and they were rebuilding the team...which is not the case now.)

And now that they have brought in a vet QB who has a history of using TEs as dynamic pass catching weapons...that is not a strong group. The Burton lotto ticket was a fine roll of the dice...but it didn't work...so I hope they can work some magic for a last minute (or early season) trade.

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Absolutely this... For some reason people are not tempering their expectations of Pittman like they would with any other rookie WR drafted. I know he is a great player and could transition well, but come on... we all know it is one of the harder transitions from college to the NFL at the WR position. It tends to take time for them to start lighting it up. 

People should be particularly lenient this year with no preseason..... but for some reason their expectations seem higher than ever.

I'd be more than happy with a 450 - 550 yards and 4 or 5 TD type season from Pittman this year. That would be more than good.... so long as Campbell takes the leap and Pascal picks up where he left off last year.

I agree...but these expectations seem to always happen when the Colts hype a player. 

To be fair...they aren't the only ones...there is a writer (or two) at PFF that think he will lead rookie WRs in receptions.

I don't think that happens. Pittman is in a good situation...but I don't see him getting the target volume to do that. But I could easily see a 600-700 yard season out of him. 

I'm not shocked Pascal is listed higher on the depth chart than Pittman. He's a vet that's proven himself on the field in actual games and while Pittman definitely has way more potential, he hasn't had anywhere near a dominating enough TC to earn a starting position. That definitely doesn't mean he won't see the field though, and potentially fairly often.

I think it's always important not to freak out about initial depth chart. While it gives us a glimpse at our roster as a whole, it's usually structured a bit oddly and isn't always a true reflection of how and how often we'll utilize players.

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

A very strong TE group? Compared to NE maybe.

Doyle and MAC are good blockers...but from a pass catching standpoint...the listed TE depth chart is very meh...probably slightly better than the 2017 TE group...which featured Doyle, Brandon Williams and UDFA Darrell Daniels. 

(But at least that season they knew that JB would be starting and they were rebuilding the team...which is not the case now.)

And now that they have brought in a vet QB who has a history of using TEs as dynamic pass catching weapons...that is not a strong group. The Burton lotto ticket was a fine roll of the dice...but it didn't work...so I hope they can work some magic for a last minute (or early season) trade.

Wonder if Dallas Clark would come out of retirement hahaha???

20 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I wouldn't be concerned, he'll get his snaps. Especially knowing how much this staff raves about Pascal. No way he's losing his starting spot to a rookie, without even any preseason games lol.

17 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

AC has a super bowl ring?

Archived