Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quotes from Zak Keefer's article about Eason

CR91

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The day is up.     Having read your post,  my blood went from hot to boil....    since you've dumped a lot on my plate,  this response will be long...

Mike....    I've been here 8 years....    in that time I've been called arrogant by some,  condescending by some and a jerk by some.....     but you are the first person to use the word "vicious"....      I hope you'll stop and think about that word.    And if need be,  look it up.   Because if you tell me you think you know what the word means,  I'm here to tell you,  you don't.   And I don't much like it tossed my way, thanks for asking.

Just look at this thread that we're involved in.    I wrote one sarcastic sentence.    I referenced the words "brain trust."     And that set people off, including you.    Look at the post that I responded to....  the poster says there "wasn't one good reason for Brissett to be on the team."   And a bunch of people agreed with him.    It took me 5 seconds to come up with three good reasons.   I use a flippant, sarcastic word and I get this from you?   Seriously?

Now, here is where you tell me that your post isn't about just this thread....   it's about many of my posts.   I'm sorry you're offended.    I'm sorry when ANYONE is offended.   But I am policed. (not used as a pejorative)   We all are policed here and I'm letting you and everyone know that I'm highly policed.   So,  I do try to be careful.   I have little room for error.   

My point is this...    this thread is a perfect example of what I've been dealing with since I arrived here....     one person states a faulty premise and a bunch of people agree with them. Someone else comes along to say that not only is what they posted not true,  but often the opposite is true.    I couldn't begin to count the number of times that happens here.   I try to stop misinformation,  and if it isn't pointed out and corrected,  it becomes accepted as conventional wisdom.   As one poster who recently said Eberfluss was misusing Hooker.   That's when I asked,  when did this become accepted wisdom?   Or when another poster stated that Irsay has accepted a lower level of achievement than the Super Bowl.   That he's fine with it.    Is that type of viewpoint not supposed to get some pushback?    I'm sorry I'm sometimes not more tactful, but some of this stuff is astonishing...

Look....   I don't like fighting with various posters.  I'd much rather not.   But the website suffers when fiction becomes accepted as fact.   I appreciate that someone is going to say people are entitled to their opinion.    And I agree with you.   And nor do I expect people to agree with me.   I've been saying that since the day I arrived.    I'm the holder of many unpopular views,  and I'm fine with that.   I can defend them.   

So, to circule back to the beginning....   if the poster I responded to had simply said, they  think we'd be better off trading JB and moving on for the following reasons,  and talked about a vision for the future, which may just be JE and CK,   then I think he'd have a much better argument and we wouldn't be here.  None of us would be here.  But when he said there wasn't one good reason for keeping JB on the roster,  that caught my attention.    When he followed up with scenario's where JB wouldn't be able to help the team (in his opinion)  and left out the most likely scenario that JB might actually play during the season,  that catches my attention.   Don't dump this in my lap.   Don't call this my mess.    And don't try to use the word vicious with me.   People don't like being told they're wrong.   And you using that word with me are wrong.

Lets set the table correctly

First off.....  Lets be clear....... as I think its very important

Lets talk about MY opinions.... First off.... I am NOT in the locker room

I have no idea what the day-to-day outcome will be....... I have an opinion

MANY times MY opinion is WRONG........ (I'm not in the locker room)

At the beginning of last year, I truly thought that JB COULD be the QB of the of the future...

I was dead wrong... he is clearly not the QB of the future...  The Legendary STACKPILE helped me see the light  :)

Being in Texas... the local news tells me that this cowboy has a hangnail, and that cowboy has  an interest in shellfish, but I dont have great day to day local coverage on the Colts

My job keeps me busy but I grab what I can....

So I am fallible, AND Imperfect........ and that's ok

My blood "doesn't boil" if anyone disagrees  with me..... I truly dont care as my self worth is not tied to what anonymous people agree or disagree with me

The good Lord has blessed me in an incredible way and I truly dont deserve my life that I have been given....... I'm a * that is lucky

I care about what my wife, family, and friends think about me... not people that dont know me

I used to call you the "great corrector" as you would argue with people and give them crap...... "Well it wasn't 3.5 yards per carry... it was actually 3.58 yards per carry"....

At the end of the day... WHO CARES?

Does that make you feel better? Why even bring it up?

And I would ask you .... why be mean to other Colts fans?

What in the world does that that gain you? Does that make you feel better?

Again I would say compassion is your friend

Being an internet "tough guy" doesn't make you a better person.....

I will leave you with this... One of my managers was Mensa level smart....  He was a smart alec.... I told him use your "super powers " for Good.....

I wish I was as INTELLIGENT as he was AND YOU  Actually ARE..... 

True Story.......  I hope you listen to this internet nobody....

There is no reason to treat others like crap......

There ARE a lot of hurting people out there and I do care what they FEEL

I have a good friend here in Dallas that I met through this board...... great guy, great wife. great kid..... His dog actually bit my daughter  during the SB with the bears  :0 .............  He doesn't post here anymore...... cause it can be an unfriendly place.... which is sad!

I think we can we can be much nicer to each other........

That's ALL I am asking......

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Condescending? Perhaps...but if it is....it is in response to arrogance. The posters statement that he quoted was , "There is not a single good reason we should keep him." That is an arrogant post. It infers that the poster is so much smarter than the men who run this franchise. It could have been stated, "I don't see a single reason as to why we have JB on the roster". That....is an opinion. If you can't see the difference, I can't help. 

For clarity, there are many reasons in my eyes as to why we should keep JB. The single biggest reason, is that he knows the offense inside and out. The next reason, is that if the team were to have to thrust either of the other two QB's in, it could shell shock them and ruin their development. JB has already shown he is tough as nails. That is a big deal to have waiting in the wings in an NFL season. 

So insults and condescension are a proper response to a post that you (in your opinion) deem as arrogant? 

Seems pretty arrogant to me.

52 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

So insults and condescension are a proper response to a post that you (in your opinion) deem as arrogant? 

Seems pretty arrogant to me.

Did you know I’m actually IN this  discussions?    Hello, let me introduce myself...   I’m New Colts Fan and I have NOT said those responses are appropriate.   I’ve said I’ve been called those things and I’ve coped to it to one degree or another.   But I’ve never defended it.  

In fact,  the first five years that I was a member,  I posted an annual Letter of Apology here.  To the best of my knowledge I’m the only person who has ever done that — written an annual letter of apology.   So no, I don’t excuse my arrogance or condescension.   It has happened time to time and those are my failings.  

People here want to be critical of me here?   Fine.  I’m a big boy, I can take it. I only ask to be reasonable.  I’m not a fan of the Mob Mentality.   I strongly disagree with a word that was used today to describe some of posts as “vicious.” 

I ask people to go thru this thread and read my posts and see them for what they are.   Trying to turn the flow of a conversation that was wrong-headed. 
Things got hot over my sarcastic use of the term “brain trust.”   As far as I can tell in this thread — that’s it.   That was my offense.   I’m trying to keep things from going too sideways here...   

Being 'offended' by what someone says is pretty much at the bottom of my list right now. NFC is a cranky old git, just like me. Cut him some slack for goodness sake. We need a bit of cut and thrust. He also doesn't need anyone to stick up for him, but I felt like doing it. Right, back to my jigsaw...

22 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

... So anyway, how ‘bout that Eason guy?

But yeah, back to Eason:  It sounds like the only real knock on him is that he gets panicky when he's pressured.  I think that's something that he can improve with game experience and gaining confidence.

Heck, even Peyton "happy feet" Manning got a little panicky when he was pressured in his first couple seasons, especially his rookie year.

But that leads to the catch-22 of playing him to get that out of his system early vs sitting him his first year or two and hoping it's out of his system by the time he gets to start...  :dunno:

11 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

But yeah, back to Eason:  It sounds like the only real knock on him is that he gets panicky when he's pressured.  I think that's something that he can improve with game experience and gaining confidence.

Heck, even Peyton "happy feet" Manning got a little panicky when he was pressured in his first couple seasons, especially his rookie year.

But that leads to the catch-22 of playing him to get that out of his system early vs sitting him his first year or two and hoping it's out of his system by the time he gets to start...  :dunno:

Right. He’ll need first hand experience to start seeing and recognizing pressures. With the right scheming you can indeed get him on the field early. But you’ll want to make sure the playbook is tailored towards his strengths. Forcing him to become something he’s not would be a detriment. You want to set him up for confidence building, because if he’s getting pounded literally and metaphorically, well psychologically Eason probably won’t be developing. 

In all fairness, most young QBs panic under pressure. Some are able to overcome it but most do not.  The key to beating Peyton, Brady and Brees has always been getting to them via pass rush . Great QBs can beat the blitz.  Film study and absorbing instruction from the coaches and veterans will be Eason’s key.  If I was Ballard I would still double down on the position if another prospect they love is available.  Let’s be real...3rd and 4th round QBs don’t make it as starters very often.  I’m hoping Eason is the exception bc I really liked what I saw when he played for Georgia.  I have not seen any of his play since then so this is a bit of an uninformed opinion. 

The one thing he has going for him is he does get the ball out quick and we have a good oline. I just don’t know how they are going to get him experience with 3 QB on the roster. He needs reps and a ton of practice reps.

I don’t know what it is with local colt reporters but they are so in Jacobys pocket. Zak  said on JMV that maybe rivers can bring something out in Jacoby and he starts again after Rivers retires.  He had two years of watching Luck and Brady plus two years starting. Not sure rivers will bring anything out in him.  It’s just strange they keep pushing him. 

I would rather give Eason a year to start in two years then giving away a bunch of draft picks to move up. Give the kid a chance.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I have to be honest, I was pretty MEH about Eason......  but after seeing some GA tape, and more WA tape, the kid has some skills. I am a bit optimistic!

I was more worried about his work ethic, but seems like he has his head on straight

We shall see

18 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

What if, we NEED Eason to be ready NEXT year?

What if Rivers, as some talking heads are saying, that he is on a steep decline 

Watch Rivers press conference when he left LA Chargers, there is a bit of lack of

confidence in himself lasting 2 years on another team.

PM's last year in Denver was just SAD..... he lost his edge completely in the last 12-18 months

I HOPE that is NOT the case with Rivers........  but most pro QBs are DONE around this time in their career

The fact is

Rivers is NOT the long term answer at QB

I think that is the reason Eason was drafted.

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The one thing he has going for him is he does get the ball out quick and we have a good oline. I just don’t know how they are going to get him experience with 3 QB on the roster. He needs reps and a ton of practice reps.

I don’t know what it is with local colt reporters but they are so in Jacobys pocket. Zak  said on JMV that maybe rivers can bring something out in Jacoby and he starts again after Rivers retires.  He had two years of watching Luck and Brady plus two years starting. Not sure rivers will bring anything out in him.  It’s just strange they keep pushing him. 

I would rather give Eason a year to start in two years then giving away a bunch of draft picks to move up. Give the kid a chance.

Agree on all 3 points......  I did a 180 on JB last year....... I hoped against hope that he could be the guy....... 

If we were set with a longtime franchise QB, JB would be a perfect backup.

JB WAS the perfect backup for Andrew Luck....

But.....  That's not the case now

Maybe Im looking at it wrong........  once you get the point where you can see that a QB will not be the starter,  you need to look for , and develop the NEXT starter

If history proves itself right, It normally takes teams a few tries to get the QB that they want

This may be Eason, This may be a QB in draft 2021.

In my way of looking at it.... if you dont give Eason the snaps, how will you know in 2021 if you need to draft another QB or not?

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think that is the reason Eason was drafted.

You sort of wonder how it all played out......

They took 3 players in front of him, (without having a 1st pick)

I think the Colts were surprised that he lasted.

If he was fully in their game plan, wouldn't they have taken him in the 2nd or 3rd?

I would pay money to see their draft board

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

If he was fully in their game plan, wouldn't they have taken him in the 2nd or 3rd?

I'm guessing that they knew they need to have a potential starter for 2021, but knew that there was a chance Rivers will be back, so they didn't need to have desperation.  With signing a free agent QB also an option, they decided not to over-draft a QB.  If Eason falls, they take him, if not, they have JB and Kelly still.  

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agree on all 3 points......  I did a 180 on JB last year....... I hoped against hope that he could be the guy....... 

If we were set with a longtime franchise QB, JB would be a perfect backup.

JB WAS the perfect backup for Andrew Luck....

But.....  That's not the case now

Maybe Im looking at it wrong........  once you get the point where you can see that a QB will not be the starter,  you need to look for , and develop the NEXT starter

If history proves itself right, It normally takes teams a few tries to get the QB that they want

This may be Eason, This may be a QB in draft 2021.

In my way of looking at it.... if you dont give Eason the snaps, how will you know in 2021 if you need to draft another QB or not?

I think if Eason shows you that he is working hard this season and he is fitting well in the locker room you give  him a chance in 2022.  You should be able to tell from practice reps and his work ethic if he deserves a chance. I really want to see him in the preseason game so bad. 

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think if Eason shows you that he is working hard this season and he is fitting well in the locker room you give  him a chance in 2022.  You should be able to tell from practice reps and his work ethic if he deserves a chance. I really want to see him in the preseason game so bad. 

We just have to trust the coaches.   I was one who loved how Kelly looked in the preseason games, but obviously the coaches saw other issues.   I think Eason has a leg up on Kelly and is in control of his own destiny.   

My guess, based off of nothing but gut, is that Eason will be the Colts starting QB in 2021 or 2022.    Could be a Dalton as I don't see him with a high ceiling.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

We just have to trust the coaches.   I was one who loved how Kelly looked in the preseason games, but obviously the coaches saw other issues.   I think Eason has a leg up on Kelly and is in control of his own destiny.   

My guess, based off of nothing but gut, is that Eason will be the Colts starting QB in 2021 or 2022.    Could be a Dalton as I don't see him with a high ceiling.

Zak keefer mentioned on JMV that he didn’t think Kelly looked that great in practice. Is that from him getting reps with PS players I guess that could be. Or maybe he is just not that good. 

You are right what ever happens we have to trust the coaches and what they see.  I hope we can figure out who the future is before Rivers retires.

Just a thought, not that I am advocating it.

What if a team like the Colts decided to just sign an aging QB every couple years?   A QB who has been good his whole career and will play his last 1-3 years with the Colts.   An experienced smart QB.

Rivers for a couple years.   Then maybe Rogers for a couple years and so on.   Draft picks invested to keep the team solid on both sides of the ball.   If it becomes known, could it be an attractive location for QB's soon to retire?   Plug and play if you will.  

This thought came to me mostly because I've seen so many teams searching for the next franchise long term QB for so long.   Finally settling on a very average QB that gets them nowhere.  

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

Just a thought, not that I am advocating it.

What if a team like the Colts decided to just sign an aging QB every couple years?   A QB who has been good his whole career and will play his last 1-3 years with the Colts.   An experienced smart QB.

Rivers for a couple years.   Then maybe Rogers for a couple years and so on.   Draft picks invested to keep the team solid on both sides of the ball.   If it becomes known, could it be an attractive location for QB's soon to retire?   Plug and play if you will.  

This thought came to me mostly because I've seen so many teams searching for the next franchise long term QB for so long.   Finally settling on a very average QB that gets them nowhere.  

I think it will work with rivers while we figure things out but I don’t think it’s a good plan for long term success or to keep fans engaged. I think we need to figure out the long term plan in the next two years.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it will work with rivers while we figure things out but I don’t think it’s a good plan for long term success or to keep fans engaged. I think we need to figure out the long term plan in the next two years.

And I think that’s exactly what Ballard is doing. Buy us some time to be competitive with Rivers, but also look for the long term guy. He may not even be on the roster at the moment. 

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

With Rivers in their pocket, they likely felt no need to go after a QB at all.  But, when Eason was there in the 4th, they couldn’t pass on him.  Great job IMO.

32 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

And I think that’s exactly what Ballard is doing. Buy us some time to be competitive with Rivers, but also look for the long term guy. He may not even be on the roster at the moment. 

That’s possible. The one young guy I can think of that will be out there next year is Winston. He went to NO to try and learn from Brees. The thing is though he probably won’t get any playing time so no one will know if he has gotten better. 

I think they will learn a lot about Eason this year to be able to determine  if they can think of him as the future.  

On 6/12/2020 at 4:08 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I watched some of those games at Georgia and came away with a better opinion of Eason

You never know if the coaching staff at U of W was wanting to stay in the pocket vs freelance as much with the run.

GA was a run first, pro style offense and WA was air raid style.....with a 2 year absence in between. I think he'd perform well in Reich's offense.

• 4 weeks later...

You all have to quit buying into the "Reich and Ballard love Brissett".  That is talk to make him more valuable as trade bait. My guess is they are holding onto him into preseason in case a team gets an injury and they can trade him.  Evidence?  The Colts signed Philip Rivers.  They were also in discussions to trade for Nick Foles.  They were also reportedly interested in Andy Dalton.  If you "love" a QB so much, you don't look to replace him with at three other QBs from other teams.  And that is just what we know about.

I don't think the Colts lose anything by letting Brissett go and having Eason and Kelly as the backups.  Last year, the Patriots used Stidham as the backup.  Rivers is a very sturdy player.  But even if he got hurt, I doubt that either player would be less effective than Brissett.  Quit throwing out the MVP talk when the Colts were 5-2.  That was all defensive, running attack, and teams not being prepared.  Once there was more film on Brissett, he was toast.  He is indecisive, inaccurate on long throws, and too often looks to dump the ball off.

The two years Brissett was the starting QB for the Colts were two of the most painful years I have ever had watching the Colts.  That was with two different coaching staffs.  They Colts simply couldn't score.  And the one year in between those years, Luck throws 39 TDs.

I hope I never see Brissett in a Colts uniform again.  I would gamble with Eason as a raw rookie over Brissett.

1 hour ago, lennymoore24 said:

You all have to quit buying into the "Reich and Ballard love Brissett".  That is talk to make him more valuable as trade bait. My guess is they are holding onto him into preseason in case a team gets an injury and they can trade him.  Evidence?  The Colts signed Philip Rivers.  They were also in discussions to trade for Nick Foles.  They were also reportedly interested in Andy Dalton.  If you "love" a QB so much, you don't look to replace him with at three other QBs from other teams.  And that is just what we know about.

I don't think the Colts lose anything by letting Brissett go and having Eason and Kelly as the backups.  Last year, the Patriots used Stidham as the backup.  Rivers is a very sturdy player.  But even if he got hurt, I doubt that either player would be less effective than Brissett.  Quit throwing out the MVP talk when the Colts were 5-2.  That was all defensive, running attack, and teams not being prepared.  Once there was more film on Brissett, he was toast.  He is indecisive, inaccurate on long throws, and too often looks to dump the ball off.

The two years Brissett was the starting QB for the Colts were two of the most painful years I have ever had watching the Colts.  That was with two different coaching staffs.  They Colts simply couldn't score.  And the one year in between those years, Luck throws 39 TDs.

I hope I never see Brissett in a Colts uniform again.  I would gamble with Eason as a raw rookie over Brissett.

100% agree, good post! I have already made the decision to never watch another Brissett QB'd game. I don't care if it's the playoffs or the SB, I still won't watch as it's just miserable to watch. Here's to Rivers staying healthy! 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

100% agree, good post! I have already made the decision to never watch another Brissett QB'd game. I don't care if it's the playoffs or the SB, I still won't watch as it's just miserable to watch. Here's to Rivers staying healthy! 

I'm sure that you are not serious.

I am as anti Brissett as you can get, but I'd be watching and hoping even if he had to take over.  Brissett plays a style that leads to almost exclusively close games so he can be a 50/50 QB.  I'll watch that, especially in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Dear God, Jared!   What are you talking about?    You wouldn’t watch a Super Bowl game with Jacoby Brissett as the starting quarterback because it’s too painful to watch?

So embarrassing.   Maybe you should consider that perhaps football isn’t the right sport for you as a fan? 

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God, Jared!   What are you talking about?    You wouldn’t watch a Super Bowl game with Jacoby Brissett as the starting quarterback because it’s too painful to watch?

So embarrassing.   Maybe you should consider that perhaps football isn’t the right sport for you as a fan? 

I have my reasons. Brissett wasted two of the last 3 years of my football life with horrible and boring QB play. Behind an elite O-Line and good running game. Nothing we can do can make him look good. I'd just look at the gametracker at that point if Rivers was hurt. At that point, I'd be watching for fantasy purposes anyway because the season would no longer be enjoyable as only a * would believe we could have a chance after two previous years with Brissett as our QB.

19 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I have my reasons. Brissett wasted two of the last 3 years of my football life with horrible and boring QB play. Behind an elite O-Line and good running game. Nothing we can do can make him look good. I'd just look at the gametracker at that point if Rivers was hurt. At that point, I'd be watching for fantasy purposes anyway because the season would no longer be enjoyable as only a * would believe we could have a chance after two previous years with Brissett as our QB.

You cant even get the facts right.   We had an elite Oline and running game last year.   We sure as heck didn’t in 2017.   That was a very poor team. 

I didn’t even respond to your last anti-Luck rant.   Figured you’re entitled time your opinion.   But I lost count of how much information you got wrong in that rant.   And now this?!?    Maybe football isn’t your game?

All you need to be happy is a Hall of Fame quarterback who devotes his life to football.  A Hall of Fame General Manager who only makes trades and draft picks you approve of.   And a level of play that makes you feel safe that the Colts will win by a large enough margin that you don’t have to worry too much.   That’s all. 

Enjoy following your favorite team via game tracker. 

25 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well maybe you think it's funny with your childish nonsense but the truth is here and now. 

As far as I'm concerned theres a lot of people talking on both sides claiming to know what's here and now. Nothing has changed in the world beyond this is currently what the majority believes. It will change to something else at some point. 

27 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well maybe you think it's funny with your childish nonsense but the truth is here and now. 

Come on, he is trying to lighten the mood...no harm in that. At least that is the way I took it.

Yes, a lot of people (not all) are acting recklessly with their responses and the deaths might lag the cases (will find out in a few weeks) but let us still act like we can take a joke, can we? :scratch:

You can't ask people to put away their daggers and draw yours. :) 

Archived