Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unfair Scheduling?

adubb84

Not sure if it’s been already discussed but I came across a VERY interesting article talking about the disparity of NFL scheduling, and how the Colts are on the rough end in how they set everything up. Part that stood out to me the most was that we normally have the shortest breaks when facing other opponents which in theory could be the reason why we are the most injured team compared to others. 

Sharp didn’t try to calculate that, though he guesses that teams on the lower end of the spectrum likely incur more injuries as a result. The Colts have consistently been one of the most injured teams over the years according Football Outsiders' adjusted games lost”

Interesting stuff. 

Just now, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Interesting article. 

It honestly connects a bunch of dots for me as I’ve always wondered why we don’t have many prime-time games, or why we have odd away games on short breaks. Sad thing is it’s been going for 10 years. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I hate that division games are played on Thursday night. No division games should be played on a shorty week. I think Thursday games need to just be gone anyway.

Thursday night has sucked for the last 3 or 4 years now its almost as bad as Monday night.

22 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Thursday night has sucked for the last 3 or 4 years now its almost as bad as Monday night.

The only way I would be ok with Thursday night games is if it came after a bye week. So a team would get like a week and a half off before a Thursday night games. They aren’t even that good because of the quick turn a round.  

Jacksonville receives the most benefit according to the analysis and is still a dumpster fire on a regular basis.

The Colts receive almost the least benefit according to the analysis and are more than competitive on a regular basis.

I don't know, outside of those butthurt we don't have any prime time games, you have to search pretty far into excuses to complain about our schedule this year...

We play the NFC North...Packers and Vikings at home, Bears and Lions on the road, doesn't get much better than that

We play the AFC North...Ravens and Bengals at home, Steelers and Browns on the road...sure I'd trade the Bengals for one of those other teams but we can't have everything

We play the other AFC 3rd place teams...home against Jets and at Raiders...i guess i'd flip flop them, but really flip a coin on that one

Plus outside of the Vikings (who lost Diggs and half their defense), it starts off really weak and lets us possibly get some momentum going into our bye, which is nicely placed close to the middle of the season

On a personal level I don't care at all if the Colts don't have a Thursday game. 

I wish they would do away with all Thursday games. 

If they want games on Thanksgiving then those teams should have a bye the week before. 

I would rather see the team in a regular routine from week to week. It helps with the preparation and also helps the players who need that time to heal. 

20 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

On a personal level I don't care at all if the Colts don't have a Thursday game. 

I wish they would do away with all Thursday games. 

If they want games on Thanksgiving then those teams should have a bye the week before. 

I would rather see the team in a regular routine from week to week. It helps with the preparation and also helps the players who need that time to heal. 

I love Thanksgiving games but other than that I agree with your post but without football on Thanksgiving it seems like something is missing.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love Thanksgiving games but other than that I agree with your post but without football on Thanksgiving it seems like something is missing.

I agree, Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without the NFL games. 

It is a tradition for most all family get togethers. 

My solution to Thursday games is to go to two bye weeks with one before the Thursday game. NFL could go to the 18 game schedule it wants anyways and to do that they will have to have multiple bye weeks or players won’t survive the season.

I doubt it's possible to put together a schedule that is fair or that would stand up to people picking it apart by whatever metric.  But hey we live in an age where some folks think little league shouldn't keep score so I suppose these types of articles are inevitable.

My guess is most coaches are ready to play the sched and not cry about it.  Well, except for Sean Payton.  :lol:

Archived