Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nfl Bounty Penalties: Sean Payton Suspended One Year/saints Fined & Lose Draft Pick (Merge)

Peyton and Eli fan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost forgot to put this in the thread as well. Warren Sapp reported that Jeremy Shockey was the one that snitched on the Saints about the entire thing. Remember what Delonte West says about snitches?

Shockey might not want to face the Saints defense anytime soon haha

Should he still be in jail today? I don't believe so. It's obvious he has learned some lessons and while I still think he has much to learn he's made progress.

The purpose of the penal system is supposed to be rehabilitation, not eternal condemnation.

That's the sketchy part about the entire thing. There have been cases in VA where some have received jail time and some have had to just pay a fine and be on their merry way. Sort of shows how big of a joke the legal system is at times.

That's why I said it's not worth the time or research to determine if the comment/thought was accurate or not.

Didn't Shockey have a comment after this all came out like he knew nothing about it happening, or that it wasn't happening? That is interesting.

Just was reminded of something from watching ATH right now. What about the people outside the team putting in $$$ for the bounties....Is the NFL going to investigate on that more?

I don't see how Washington/Tennessee and Buffalo don't go without punishment.

0% chance in my opinion that it "First happened" in New Orleans.

Any player that put into the fund, or received money from the fund should be suspended.

I am stunned.

A year?Seems REALLY harsh to me. Sorry guys I know most of you are cheering but this crazy.

It's not when you lie to the commissioner. If we have learned anything from the Goodell era it is that if you lie to him you only make it much worse. Greg Williams came out clean right off the bat and because of that he atleast has a chance of returning to the league one day. Peyton wouldn't have been suspended and entire year and Loomis wouldn't have been suspended half of the year as well. Why shouldn't they have the hammer dropped on them from lying?

I feel bad for the Saints actually. Brees is in his prime and would love to play the SB at home. Now what?

This is disgusting.

Outside of a few hits to very old QBs in the playoffs I can't think of anything else they did.

This league wants too much offense anyway. Ugh. What happened to smash mouthed defense? Is this possible?

Didn't the Ravens have a bounty on Hines Ward? Does anyone care?

Didn't the Giants target a guy with a concussion in the title game?

Can't we just play football again without so many rules.

I feel bad for the Saints actually. Brees is in his prime and would love to play the SB at home. Now what?

This is disgusting.

Outside of a few hits to very old QBs in the playoffs I can't think of anything else they did.

This league wants too much offense anyway. Ugh. What happened to smash mouthed defense? Is this possible?

Didn't the Ravens have a bounty on Hines Ward? Does anyone care?

Didn't the Giants target a guy with a concussion in the title game?

Can't we just play football again without so many rules.

Not when you have players getting bigger and stronger and playing at levels the NFL couldn't dream of in the 1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s and even the 90s. What happened to sportsmanship? What happened to clean play? You participate in a "bounty" to purposely knock someone out a few plays or the game? If you call that smashmouth football then you have no respect for the game at all. Not a single amount. The Ravens did not put in cash to knock out Hines Ward. They said they were going hard after him and going to be as physical as he is. There's a difference between going as hard as possible against a player and then trying to physically harm him. This is disgusting. It's disgusting that we have players in this league that have participated in this, it's disgusting we had an NFL franchise lie to the commissioner about this when they knew about the situation and it's even more disgusting that we possibly saw a career end because of a bounty hit and that we saw injuries some others faced from these bounty hits. It's pathetic when you have a franchise lie about this and act like they didn't know a thing, when they knew everything that went on. If you want to see football "without so many rules" then I suggest you watch football from the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Yes I am a fan of the Packers and Rodgers and I read Rodgers was a target of a bounty.

Still, I don't think I care too much.

It's football.

What no bounty was on Curtis Painter? Oh the horror!!!!! I feel disrespected now.

I know I already addressed your post but the excuse that "it happens all over" really gets me. There are crack dealers all over the place too. Should we stop punishing the ones who get caught simply because people still do it all the time? It's one thing to know that it happens but not have any proof to be able to punish the ones doing it. However, the NFL got lucky this time and actually got hard evidence of the "crime" that was committed. It would be outrageous NOT to make a firm example of the perpetrators in the rare instance when you have hard evidence. The only way to try to prevent things like this is to come down as hard as possible on the ones who are actually caught. If the guys involved in this were simply given a slap on the wrist, then what is there to deter others from continuing to do it? This way, things like this may still happen but at least the guys involved are going to have to ask themselves if it's worth it given that there is now an actual precedent set for what will happen if you do happen to get caught.

The bounty thing also goes completely against and spits in the face of fair play and sportsmanship, as I alluded to earlier. Is the message we want to send to the children of the nation, and to the world, that in order to get ahead in life you simply need to injure the person in front of you? Who cares about practice, preparation and striving to make yourself the best when you can simply take the competition out. If I want to get a promotion at work should I put in full effort and strive to make myself better, or should I simply wait in the parking lot with a baseball bat to take someone out so I can take their job? Maybe we should also make a formal apology to Tanya Harding for punishing her for what she did to Nancy Kerrigan. After all, she was only trying to win in the best way she knew how.

Peyton and Eli fan, this isn't all directed at you specifically. I'm not trying to imply that you condone the action of the Saints. You didn't specify that one way or another. I would hope that you don't condone it but I know a lot of people simply turn a blind eye or say, "well, it's just a part of the game. It's a violent sport." Yes it is a violent sport but it is still a sport nonetheless. Without sportsmanship and fair play then we simply have a bunch of rich thugs running around on fake grass trying to maim each other. I don't know about anyone else, but to me that's not what football is about.

Sorry all, /end rant...I'll step off the soap-box now. :) lol

That's ok. I didn't express myself well. I do think it's bad, but I just want to hear more from the report before I decided how bad it was and why the Saints are the ones the hammer is coming down on if it's well known to be common. But, it sounds like the differences are - 1) it came from the coaches and was formal. 2) It paid specifically for injuries (rather than big hits - there is a difference) 3) they were told to knock it off and didn't 4) they blatantly lied about it to Goddell.

So, I'm coming around to the 1 year for Payton. My initial reaction was that would have been appropriate for Williams but too harsh for Sean. But it sounds like he was more involved than just simply knowing it existed.

I am stunned.

A year?Seems REALLY harsh to me. Sorry guys I know most of you are cheering but this crazy.

I believe Payton got hit so hard because he was asked about the system some time ago and given fair warning to put an end to the system if it existed - he lied about it and they didnt put an end to it.

I believe Payton got hit so hard because he was asked about the system some time ago and given fair warning to put an end to the system if it existed - he lied about it and they didnt put an end to it.

that's exactly WHY

Almost forgot to put this in the thread as well. Warren Sapp reported that Jeremy Shockey was the one that snitched on the Saints about the entire thing. Remember what Delonte West says about snitches?

Shockey might not want to face the Saints defense anytime soon haha

I wonder how big of a bounty they would have on him haha

I should add that this was a big message to the NFL and a message to the ppl suing the NFL over injuries, to show them that they take player safety seriously. Notice how the only ppl that are mad are the people that are Saints fans and the Saints organization.

I think anything less would have not been enough. It's one thing to reward big plays like a sack, forced fumble, interception etc but to reward players for intentionally trying to HURT another player is inexcusable and goes completely against the spirit of the game. I'm glad Williams was suspended indefinitely. I really don't think he should ever be allowed back. To work in the NFL is a privilege. To make the millions upon millions of dollars these guys make is a privilege. What they should do is compete with every fiber of their being, follow the rules and respect the spirit of the game and fair competition. What they should not do is try to injure or harm other players.

This makes me wonder if Brees will be back of if he'll start looking elsewhere to distance himself from all this.

Brees is still under control of the Franchise Tag. I believe it may even be the Exclusive Franchise Tag, so he couldn't elect to look elsewhere unless the tag is rescinded.

There are other posts in this thread that explain my point of view about Vick in greater detail.

Gregg Williams should never be able to coach football again.

I wouldn't be upset if that happened. The more you think about it, the more bizarre it is and the less I can understand how he could justify this

I wouldn't be upset if that happened. The more you think about it, the more bizarre it is and the less I can understand how he could justify this

I still think Buffalo/Tennessee/Jacksonville/Washington should be hit with penalties, because I doubt New Orleans was the only time he had this program installed.

I can see something about big plays, interceptions, fumble recoveries, etc.... Knocking people out. Hurting them. No place for it.

I still think Buffalo/Tennessee/Jacksonville/Washington should be hit with penalties, because I doubt New Orleans was the only time he had this program installed.

I can see something about big plays, interceptions, fumble recoveries, etc.... Knocking people out. Hurting them. No place for it.

If I remember correctly, there were players from those teams that came out and said that program was going on during their time in those places. Coy Wire I believe already said it was going on in Buffalo. The problem is what do you do? Do you penalize the organization even though Williams is no longer there? Do you penalize the coaches even though they might be out of the league and not even having an impact on today's game?

So being a dummy here, what happens to the draft pics that they lose this year and next? Are there just 31 picks those rounds instead of 32, or does someone else somehow get them?

As others have said, there will be 31 picks in the rounds where the Saints lost picks, but I believe the CBA requires 255 total players drafted so extra compensatory picks would likely be added to the end of the draft.

If I remember correctly, there were players from those teams that came out and said that program was going on during their time in those places. Coy Wire I believe already said it was going on in Buffalo. The problem is what do you do? Do you penalize the organization even though Williams is no longer there? Do you penalize the coaches even though they might be out of the league and not even having an impact on today's game?

I remember the same thing..

If the investigation proves that some had knowledge, you have to fine the team in the least, strip a draft pick. Saints are getting hit hard with it(of course it's fresh), but the Rams are being penalized by having him sit out the year.

I don't know if the could fine Joe Gibbs after the fact or not, or punish Fisher for it happening in Tennessee.

It's a mess, but I don't think it is fair to ignore it.

I remember the same thing..

If the investigation proves that some had knowledge, you have to fine the team in the least, strip a draft pick. Saints are getting hit hard with it(of course it's fresh), but the Rams are being penalized by having him sit out the year.

I don't know if the could fine Joe Gibbs after the fact or not, or punish Fisher for it happening in Tennessee.

It's a mess, but I don't think it is fair to ignore it.

True, but in my opinion, it's almost impossible to reinforce. For example, suspending Williams does hurt him, but it also hurts the Rams who have done nothing wrong.

I think if you can prove owners had knowledge of it happening, then maybe fines would be in order, but other than NO, I think Williams is too far removed from previous situations where it'd be unfair to punish teams who have no known connection to the situation.

True, but in my opinion, it's almost impossible to reinforce. For example, suspending Williams does hurt him, but it also hurts the Rams who have done nothing wrong.

It is. I'm guessing if they find that it was worse in other places, then they will punish the team and tack on punishment to Williams.

Which is why the NFL should ban Williams from the league without recourse. Their "indefinite" suspensions are usually reversed as soon as the offender gets out of prison...i.e. Vick, Buress. Williams had better not be back next season.