Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nfl Bounty Penalties: Sean Payton Suspended One Year/saints Fined & Lose Draft Pick (Merge)

Peyton and Eli fan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be in the NFL General, but hole crap!!!!

PAYTON GONE FOR THE YEAR! THEY LOSE 500,000$ and they lose a 2nd.

The NFL came down hard on them!! This is huge, much bigger than the Pats spygate!

I dont like cops.

I feel bad for the fans of the Saints. I cannot imagine being a fan of the Colts and seeing something this bad come down on them. You loose one of the best coaches in the game for an entire year. It basically dooms their season before it even starts. Then you front office has bungled the contract with your top tier QB. Man it must suck to be a Saints fan right now.

Roger had to come down hard on the Saints and Gregg Williams given how much the NFL talks about player safety now.

I guess I have to wait until I hear more of what was in the report. It strikes me as too harsh b/c I suspect it happens all over the place. Though they were told to knock it off and didn't. I was expecting 4-6 games for Payton.

I think anything less would have not been enough. It's one thing to reward big plays like a sack, forced fumble, interception etc but to reward players for intentionally trying to HURT another player is inexcusable and goes completely against the spirit of the game. I'm glad Williams was suspended indefinitely. I really don't think he should ever be allowed back. To work in the NFL is a privilege. To make the millions upon millions of dollars these guys make is a privilege. What they should do is compete with every fiber of their being, follow the rules and respect the spirit of the game and fair competition. What they should not do is try to injure or harm other players.

This makes me wonder if Brees will be back of if he'll start looking elsewhere to distance himself from all this.

Every first reaction I've seen about this focuses on Sean Payton, because people are thinking about the Saints being messed up for a year.

More importantly, Williams was suspended indefinitely. Considering his possible contributing role to Peyton's neck problems, I say good riddance. You want to send a message? NEVER let him back in.

From NFL.com:

The NFL announced Wednesday that

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton will be suspended for one season without pay for his involvement in the team's bounty program. Saints general manager Mickey Loomis has been suspended for eight games. Former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been suspended indefinitely.

The team has also been fined $500,000 and will have to give up its second-round picks in the 2012 and 2013 NFL Drafts.

In addition, Saints assistant head coach Joe Vitt has been suspended without pay for the first six games of the 2012 season.

http://www.nfl.com/n...1_breaking_news

Good for Goodell... He got this one right. Failed with the Patriots and Mike Vick, but he got this one right.

How did he get Vick wrong? he was suspended indefinatly and was let back in after his jail sentence. As fr the Pats the reason he was lighter on them IMO is two reasons.

1. The Pats and BB cooperated from the very beginning with the investigation. The Saints denied it back in'09 and per reports Payton and their GM knew about it then and the commish hates being lied to.

2. This has to do with player safety a pet project of the commish.

All said I expected a 1st rounder next year be lost by them so could have been worse.

Every first reaction I've seen about this focuses on Sean Payton, because people are thinking about the Saints being messed up for a year.

More importantly, Williams was suspended indefinitely. Considering his possible contributing role to Peyton's neck problems, I say good riddance. You want to send a message? NEVER let him back in.

I agree.

And the collateral damage to Manning fan and Mr. Competition Committee himself.... Rams HC Jeff Fisher.... reinforces the fact that this kind of thuggery will stop. Immediately.

If it doesn't I really pity the player/coach/GM that lets it happen.

This is a strong message to the rest of the league.

I agree with Maureen that the fines and the pay that will be withheld should go towards the fund that pays for players' health care expenses. This way, the NFLPA will be supporting the decision.

Well I say the Saints should be FORCED to send the year salary of Payton to that fund. (That has be a few Million bucks right?) also the salary of Vitt for those 6 games. Dont let the owner off where he makes money on the deal!

Well I say the Saints should be FORCED to send the year salary of Payton to that fund. (That has be a few Million bucks right?) also the salary of Vitt for those 6 games. Dont let the owner off where he makes money on the deal!

8 million is what I believe I heard from Jay Glazer's report on NFLN.

And as long as Jonathan Vilma was feeling generous enough to pay 10k for someone to maim Brett Favre.... throw his game suspension checks in as well.

who will be the HC in NO for 2012?

I'm thinking probably Spagnuolo but could also be Carmichael. I wonder if Spags is regretting not taking the Colts DC job with all this coming down. He could not only lose several of his defensive players, but one of the things he was looking for in a new team was a high powered offense. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Brees go elsewhere and if so, there goes the key to their high-powered offense.

How did he get Vick wrong? he was suspended indefinatly and was let back in after his jail sentence. As fr the Pats the reason he was lighter on them IMO is two reasons.

1. The Pats and BB cooperated from the very beginning with the investigation. The Saints denied it back in'09 and per reports Payton and their GM knew about it then and the commish hates being lied to.

2. This has to do with player safety a pet project of the commish.

All said I expected a 1st rounder next year be lost by them so could have been worse.

Vick should have never been allowed back imo, so that's how they got it wrong.

I'm thinking probably Spagnuolo but could also be Carmichael. I wonder if Spags is regretting not taking the Colts DC job with all this coming down. He could not only lose several of his defensive players, but one of the things he was looking for in a new team was a high powered offense. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Brees go elsewhere and if so, there goes the key to their high-powered offense.

LOL.... I betcha Miami is on the phone with his agent right now. Wouldn't that be fun?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Brees go elsewhere and if so, there goes the key to their high-powered offense.

CAN Brees leave? That would be great, but I thought he was locked up.

I agree with you completely about Vick. I hate the man, and it's painful every time I hear his name.

CAN Brees leave? That would be great, but I thought he was locked up.

I agree with you completely about Vick. I hate the man, and it's painful every time I hear his name.

I believe he still can. Last I heard nothing had been signed. They tried to use the franchise tag on him but my understanding is he refused to sign it. So as far as I know, yes he could still leave but if anyone knows differently please correct me.

LOL.... I betcha Miami is on the phone with his agent right now. Wouldn't that be fun?

That would be kinda funny. lol A couple of teams might be kicking themselves right now. The Jets for making the trade for Tebow and the '49ers for making the deal with Smith. Granted they really couldn't have known and there's no way to say for sure that Brees will actually want out of there. Still though, Brees to either of those teams could have made things really interesting. To be perfectly honest though, if I were the Jets I'd still try to make a move on Brees if possible. They only gave up a 4th round pick and swapped a 6th for a 7th so really even if they never use Tebow I really wouldn't consider it a huge loss.

this is a GREAT message to all 31 other teams. That it will not be tolerated. Im glad they did this. Wish it could of been years ago and that Peyton neck injury would have never happened years back against the Redskins.