Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nfl Bounty Penalties: Sean Payton Suspended One Year/saints Fined & Lose Draft Pick (Merge)

Peyton and Eli fan

How did he get Vick wrong? he was suspended indefinatly and was let back in after his jail sentence. As fr the Pats the reason he was lighter on them IMO is two reasons.

1. The Pats and BB cooperated from the very beginning with the investigation. The Saints denied it back in'09 and per reports Payton and their GM knew about it then and the commish hates being lied to.

2. This has to do with player safety a pet project of the commish.

All said I expected a 1st rounder next year be lost by them so could have been worse.

Vick didn't deserve to play another down in the NFL.

He missed the boat with the Patriots by not publishing exactly what games they had evidence of the filming occurring. I agree that this deserved to be punished more than the Patriots, but I still feel the Patriots punishment could have been handled better.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I have to wait until I hear more of what was in the report. It strikes me as too harsh b/c I suspect it happens all over the place. Though they were told to knock it off and didn't. I was expecting 4-6 games for Payton.

I know I already addressed your post but the excuse that "it happens all over" really gets me. There are crack dealers all over the place too. Should we stop punishing the ones who get caught simply because people still do it all the time? It's one thing to know that it happens but not have any proof to be able to punish the ones doing it. However, the NFL got lucky this time and actually got hard evidence of the "crime" that was committed. It would be outrageous NOT to make a firm example of the perpetrators in the rare instance when you have hard evidence. The only way to try to prevent things like this is to come down as hard as possible on the ones who are actually caught. If the guys involved in this were simply given a slap on the wrist, then what is there to deter others from continuing to do it? This way, things like this may still happen but at least the guys involved are going to have to ask themselves if it's worth it given that there is now an actual precedent set for what will happen if you do happen to get caught.

The bounty thing also goes completely against and spits in the face of fair play and sportsmanship, as I alluded to earlier. Is the message we want to send to the children of the nation, and to the world, that in order to get ahead in life you simply need to injure the person in front of you? Who cares about practice, preparation and striving to make yourself the best when you can simply take the competition out. If I want to get a promotion at work should I put in full effort and strive to make myself better, or should I simply wait in the parking lot with a baseball bat to take someone out so I can take their job? Maybe we should also make a formal apology to Tanya Harding for punishing her for what she did to Nancy Kerrigan. After all, she was only trying to win in the best way she knew how.

Peyton and Eli fan, this isn't all directed at you specifically. I'm not trying to imply that you condone the action of the Saints. You didn't specify that one way or another. I would hope that you don't condone it but I know a lot of people simply turn a blind eye or say, "well, it's just a part of the game. It's a violent sport." Yes it is a violent sport but it is still a sport nonetheless. Without sportsmanship and fair play then we simply have a bunch of rich thugs running around on fake grass trying to maim each other. I don't know about anyone else, but to me that's not what football is about.

Sorry all, /end rant...I'll step off the soap-box now. :) lol

I don't think this was hard enough, it should have been a 2nd rounder this year and a 1st next year, with a 1 mil penalty, you can't excuse people intentionally trying to hurt others

I agree about the draft picks but I think it was a little harsh on Sean Payton, he should have missed half the season at most.

He missed the boat with the Patriots by not publishing exactly what games they had evidence of the filming occurring. I agree that this deserved to be punished more than the Patriots, but I still feel the Patriots punishment could have been handled better.

Losing a first-round pick and being fined $750,000 isn't exactly a slap on the wrist.

Perhaps Goodell just decided that opening that can of worms was dangerous and bad for the NFL. You bust one team and punish them, and the others will stop.

The only reason behind the severity of the punishment handed down to the Saints is that the NFL is so incredibly conscious of player safety nowadays. It flies in the face of all the rule changes, equipment enhancements, etc. If he did anything less, Goodell would have looked like a major hypocrite.

It is amazing to read comments (elsewhere) saying SpyGate was a more serious issue. I'm reading about how a well respected organization with a brilliant head coach videotaping and "stealing plays" is more serious than putting out a bounty to hurt other players? Stealing signals goes back as far as sports, or any type of competition. Actually offering incentives to injure another player, thus affecting his health and livelihood is somehow less serious and more acceptable?

Are the punishments harsh? Yes. Is it more than I expected? Yes. Is it, in my opinion, warranted? Yes. Had the commish handed out what was expected, or worse, what could be construed as a "slap on the wrist", he and the league would have lost integrity, and there would not have been nearly the same deterrent for teams, players and coaches going forward.

Losing draft picks ALWAYS hurts you...especially a 1st rounder. Just because you happened to have a second 1st rounder that year doesnt mean losing one doesnt hurt. The punishments were handed out based on the action in question, not based on the franchise's standing come draft time. Look, there are many that felt the Spygate punishment was too harsh, and are many that think it wasnt harsh enough. In the next few days, many will feel the same way about the Bountygate punishment, with different opinions and different points of view. Its sad when things like this happen, but the NFL deals with it the best way they know how and we will all move on and be just fine. Holding grudges just doesnt help, at some point we just have to believe that the commissioner is doing whats best for the league.

It is amazing to read comments (elsewhere) saying SpyGate was a more serious issue. I'm reading about how a well respected organization with a brilliant head coach videotaping and "stealing plays" is more serious than putting out a bounty to hurt other players? Stealing signals goes back as far as sports, or any type of competition. Actually offering incentives to injure another player, thus affecting his health and livelihood is somehow less serious and more acceptable?

Are the punishments harsh? Yes. Is it more than I expected? Yes. Is it, in my opinion, warranted? Yes. Had the commish handed out what was expected, or worse, what could be construed as a "slap on the wrist", he and the league would have lost integrity, and there would not have been nearly the same deterrent for teams, players and coaches going forward.

The irony is all teams for ages have an unwritten rule to knock players out of ther game. This was more so in the past certainly. Keeping a record wasn't smart and is what got them in trouble. But going after players is nothing new. Hence why BB keeps his injury list as uncertain as he is allowed to because players will go after an injured player to get him out.

So being a dummy here, what happens to the draft pics that they lose this year and next? Are there just 31 picks those rounds instead of 32, or does someone else somehow get them?

Those picks will just be skipped over. So yes, there will only be 31 picks in that particular round instead of 32. :)

That's debateable. He definitely doesn't deserve to own another dog or be with the * members of his family, but saying he didn't deserve to play another down in the NFL is a bit strong. He did get the saints bounty issue correct though. I'm wondering how this affects the Drew Brees contract talks if at all.

That's debateable. He definitely doesn't deserve to own another dog or be with the * members of his family, but saying he didn't deserve to play another down in the NFL is a bit strong. He did get the saints bounty issue correct though. I'm wondering how this affects the Drew Brees contract talks if at all.

Considering he should still be in prison, playing in the NFL at this point shouldn't be open for discussion. He had the Virginia DA in his back pocket from day one in that mess.

Considering he should still be in prison, playing in the NFL at this point shouldn't be open for discussion. He had the Virginia DA in his back pocket from day one in that mess.

Not really....a few of his family members pretty much tried to throw the entire thing on him, when they were the ones doing most of the crimes. You can't have the DA in your back pocket when the DA just had to play the wait to see who squeels game and used to their advantage.

You are spot on here, for some reason I truly don't believe that people understand exactly how horrific his crimes were. The man did not make a mistake, being cruel to animals was his life style, not just one mistake.

You are spot on here, for some reason I truly don't believe that people understand exactly how horrific his crimes were. The man did not make a mistake, being cruel to animals was his life style, not just one mistake.

This I disagree with. Vick lived and ignorant lifestyle. To pretty much give shady family members a home where they could do anything they want and then believe everything they were doing was fine was a sign of how Ignorant he had become. He might have taken part in it at times, but to say it was his lifestyle I disagree with. I believe it was the lifestyle of certain members of his family, but Vick's lifestyle was of ignorance in my opinion.

NFL should also lower the Saints salary cap

i'm pretty sure that would violate the cba

it's not just dog fighting. it's illegal because it's a criminal gambling enterprise

This I disagree with. Vick lived and ignorant lifestyle. To pretty much give shady family members a home where they could do anything they want and then believe everything they were doing was fine was a sign of how Ignorant he had become. He might have taken part in it at times, but to say it was his lifestyle I disagree with. I believe it was the lifestyle of certain members of his family, but Vick's lifestyle was of ignorance in my opinion.

Standing one a dog and drowning it or beating a dog to death once, is once more than any sane person would do. Sorry I would bet anything it was many more times then a few.

Not really....a few of his family members pretty much tried to throw the entire thing on him, when they were the ones doing most of the crimes. You can't have the DA in your back pocket when the DA just had to play the wait to see who squeels game and used to their advantage.

Actually the DA was trying to prevent some of the federal agencies from issuing search warrants and let the Vick gang know what they were searching for. He wrapped up a plea deal with Vick with a pretty neat and lovely bow. The Feds were the ones playing the who squeels game, and if they hadn't charged them, I doubt Vick would have faced state charges. Even after the fact of admitting to the events that took place, The DA gave him the gift wrapped plea deal that he was never punished one day for. All of his jail time was over federal charges.

It's what he grew up in. He didn't know better from that perspective. He likely went to dog fights as a kid with pops or unc, or whoever.

There is a huge difference in Vick buying property for family members and being unaware of the events that were happening on the property. That was not the case here. He was involved.

Actually the DA was trying to prevent some of the federal agencies from issuing search warrants and let the Vick gang know what they were searching for. He wrapped up a plea deal with Vick with a pretty neat and lovely bow. The Feds were the ones playing the who squeels game, and if they hadn't charged them, I doubt Vick would have faced state charges. Even after the fact of admitting to the events that took place, The DA gave him the gift wrapped plea deal that he was never punished one day for. All of his jail time was over federal charges.

He was going to face charges one way or another. There was no possible way he was going to get of scot free. While the deal he did secure was very nice to him, he got off extremely lucky. Should he still be in jail today? I don't believe so. It's obvious he has learned some lessons and while I still think he has much to learn he's made progress.

It's what he grew up in. He didn't know better from that perspective. He likely went to dog fights as a kid with pops or unc, or whoever.

There is a huge difference in Vick buying property for family members and being unaware of the events that were happening on the property. That was not the case here. He was involved.

It was clear he was involved, but the scale of his involvement compared to his other family members is not as large and it's a reason he was lucky to get the deal he received. He was definitely involved that's obvious, but how much in comparison to the others was important.

I believe he still can. Last I heard nothing had been signed. They tried to use the franchise tag on him but my understanding is he refused to sign it. So as far as I know, yes he could still leave but if anyone knows differently please correct me.

This is how I understand it unless the new CBA is different than the old CBA. Since the Saints used the franchise tag on Brees, he cannot sign with another team. He does not have to sign the franchise tender, but he cannot go elsewhere if he chooses not to sign it. His options are either to sign the franchise tender and play for the Saints this season or to not play in the NFL this season.

If they REALLY wanted to hurt the Saints.......revoke their franchise tag for this offseason.

He was going to face charges one way or another. There was no possible way he was going to get of scot free. While the deal he did secure was very nice to him, he got off extremely lucky. Should he still be in jail today? I don't believe so. It's obvious he has learned some lessons and while I still think he has much to learn he's made progress.

Yeah he was very lucky.

It would take some research, research I don't care to put in the effort to prove right/wrong/indifferent, but I bet there are people in Virginia that have been charged with what he should have been charged with that are still in prison for the same crimes. He's learned some lessons, but he's still not very smart. Remember the birthday party where one of his co-felons got shot. That got swept away quite nicely.

He's made progress, I'll give him that, but that is about it.

Yeah he was very lucky.

It would take some research, research I don't care to put in the effort to prove right/wrong/indifferent, but I bet there are people in Virginia that have been charged with what he should have been charged with that are still in prison for the same crimes. He's learned some lessons, but he's still not very smart. Remember the birthday party where one of his co-felons got shot. That got swept away quite nicely.

He's made progress, I'll give him that, but that is about it.

That's the sketchy part about the entire thing. There have been cases in VA where some have received jail time and some have had to just pay a fine and be on their merry way. Sort of shows how big of a joke the legal system is at times.