Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason's Freshman Highlights at Georgia

Scott Pennock

I stumbled across this video and all the things the staff are talking about needing to correct - throwing on the run, movement in the pocket, consistent footwork, touch on some throws and progressions - he shows he's fully capable in this video.

The year long absence due to injury and then sitting out a year for using the transfer portal leads me to think he was a little sloppy last year due to the two year absence from game play.

The freshman tape looks a heckuva lot better than his Junior tape.  Part of it is likely because of consistent play and NFL caliber players around him at Georgia. He truly got Wally Pipped!

I am a bit more excited about this pick after seeing this video which shows a better version of himself, in my eyes at least!

Scott, I sure hope you are right. If a 4th round QB turns out to be a solid or better starter for this team, that would be a massive steal by Ballard & Co. The beauty is, we don't need to find out right away.

He looks better throwing outside the pocket here then he did at WA. He actually looks really good throwing on the run. The colts said he was more athletic then people think. He isn’t the slow statue that I thought. He might of won a national title as a freshman if he hadn’t got hurt. Still crazy to me he fell to the 4th.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He looks better throwing outside the pocket here then he did at WA. He actually looks really good throwing on the run. The colts said he was more athletic then people think. He isn’t the slow statue that I thought.

it could also be a coaches decision too. maybe he was told to stay in the pocket.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He looks better throwing outside the pocket here then he did at WA. He actually looks really good throwing on the run. The colts said he was more athletic then people think. He isn’t the slow statue that I thought. He might of won a national title as a freshman if he hadn’t got hurt. Still crazy to me he fell to the 4th.

Within the first 5-10 throws on the video we saw everything...........3 step drop, plant, release......5 step drop, plant, release.......slide in packet and throw........scramble left and throw with velocity and touch..........scramble right and throw with velocity and touch........scramble for a couple first downs.......throw bullets downfield with a defender or two in his face....

3 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

it could also be a coaches decision too. maybe he was told to stay in the pocket.

That is a good point! How many air raid QB's were known as scramblers? Most of them were just statues back there looking for the open man or the homerun.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Is it possible he had a better oline st GA also. I am so excited about his potential. He has already played in a pro offende.

He absolutely had NFL caliber players around him at GA. I believe Wims was his LT and he was a 1st or 2nd Round pick by the Patriots I believe?

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Within the first 5-10 throws on the video we saw everything...........3 step drop, plant, release......5 step drop, plant, release.......slide in packet and throw........scramble left and throw with velocity and touch..........scramble right and throw with velocity and touch........scramble for a couple first downs.......throw bullets downfield with a defender or two in his face....

It’s going to be fun to see him in preseason. Can’t  wait to hear reports from TC. He clearly looks better then Jacoby already.

21 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

He absolutely had NFL caliber players around him at GA. I believe Wims was his LT and he was a 1st or 2nd Round pick by the Patriots I believe?

I believe you are thinking about Isaiah Wynn, Wims was a WR IIRC.  I think Wynn was the RT Eason's Freshman year, I don't remember who the LT was, but the point that the OLine was better at Georgia is accurate IMO.

Edit:  Just watched part of the video, Wynn was playing LG.

24 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

I believe you are thinking about Isaiah Wynn, Wims was a WR IIRC.  I think Wynn was the RT Eason's Freshman year, I don't remember who the LT was, but the point that the OLine was better at Georgia is accurate IMO.

Edit:  Just watched part of the video, Wynn was playing LG.

We were on the same path of thought! Thanks for looking that up though! Wynn!

Arm talent is off the charts. Very electric.  He kinda falls off some throws in that video but still had the talent & accuracy to get it in there.  If Campbell develops into our slot (catch & run) receiver, I think he and Eason will have a good chemistry if/when they eventually share the field together.  Interesting that Eason & Blankenship were teammates as freshmen. Eason even held for the XP at the end.

This time he gets to sit his freshman/rookie year, then he gets to Wally Pip Phillip Rivers like Brady did Bledsoe & Fromm did him...  How karmic would that be?  Eason needs to know that playbook front & back. And keep working on his mechanics until they’re second nature. Also learn some leadership from Rivers & Brissett. Kid’s got a shot. Couldn’t have picked a better landing spot. 

Seriously good! The freshman version of Jacob Eason has pocket awareness, mobility, touch, accuracy, grit, vision, and a whole lot more. Oh, and his receivers catch the ball - what a bonus!

If we get this version, we're going to get some mojo going!

24 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Arm talent is off the charts. Very electric.  He kinda falls off some throws in that video but still had the talent & accuracy to get it in there.  If Campbell develops into our slot (catch & run) receiver, I think he and Eason will have a good chemistry if/when they eventually share the field together.  Interesting that Eason & Blankenship were teammates as freshmen. Eason even held for the XP at the end.

This time he gets to sit his freshman/rookie year, then he gets to Wally Pip Phillip Rivers like Brady did Bledsoe & Fromm did him...  How karmic would that be?  Eason needs to know that playbook front & back. And keep working on his mechanics until they’re second nature. Also learn some leadership from Rivers & Brissett. Kid’s got a shot. Couldn’t have found a better landing spot. 

17 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

This time he gets to sit his freshman/rookie year, then he gets to Wally Pip Phillip Rivers like Brady did Bledsoe & Fromm did him...  How karmic would that be?  Eason needs to know that playbook front & back. And keep working on his mechanics until they’re second nature. Also learn some leadership from Rivers & Brissett. Kid’s got a shot. Couldn’t have picked a better landing spot. 

The more I see and learn about him the more I love the pick.  He should learn a lot from Reich and Rivers this year.  At first I was pretty skeptical on his selection but now I am starting to think he has a real shot to eventually be our QB going forward.  It looks like he has the physical talent needed to make the jump.  He just needs some serious coaching and desire to learn from the best.  

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The more I see and learn about him the more I love the pick.  He should learn a lot from Reich and Rivers this year.  At first I was pretty skeptical on his selection but now I am starting to think he has a real shot to eventually be our QB going forward.  It looks like he has the physical talent needed to make the jump.  He just needs some serious coaching and desire to learn from the best.  

Exactly. His throws look effortless. Not quite Luck effortless but the ball jumps off his hand much quicker though .  Kid can spin it with ease.  

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Watching the film, he doesn’t look slow at all. I was expecting to see the peyton Manning speed but he is definitely faster than what they make him out to be from what I could tell. That’s just a plus. 

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I liked this highlight reel he has put up. Of course we should, they never put up a garbage throws reel though. He had some throws in tight windows though that were WOW!! Windows are now gonna be like that all the time in the nfl so hopefully he can match that again. 

3 hours ago, Douzer said:

Seriously good! The freshman version of Jacob Eason has pocket awareness, mobility, touch, accuracy, grit, vision, and a whole lot more. Oh, and his receivers catch the ball - what a bonus!

If we get this version, we're going to get some mojo going!

And he had some really nice slides as well, not half hearted, spikes in the ground, awkward looking Luck like slides. 

one thing is for sure, you can see plenty of reasons to like the kid for that talent. Can he translate that talent into the NFL and can he keep his head humbled in the NFL? I think that’s gonna be his challenges. 

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Seems to have a very consistent and quick release point. Probably played some baseball in his life. Quick to his ear and gone.

I think that video clearly shows all the talk of he's not athletic and a statue is false. I see he has all the physical tools that you need now let's see if he has it in between the ears. I sure wouldn't mind pulling a Brady move

IMO with pro level coaching Eason will improve drastically. 

Some seem to overlook his QBR rating was 143.9 his last season. That was coming off a knee injury so I think it was pretty impressive myself.

I think he got drafted into a great spot and him watching Rivers for at least one year will benefit him. 

17 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

That is a good point! How many air raid QB's were known as scramblers? Most of them were just statues back there looking for the open man or the homerun.

A lot of that though is the function of the arm strength and arm talent, not so much the lack of athleticism.  I think the prevailing thought is that the safest place for the QB to be is in the protection of the pocket.  Guys who have the arms to stay there stay there.  The guys who might not have that arm sometimes have to move to one side of the field or get more momentum behind a throw.

It was said that Bill Walsh specifically designed the WC offense to suit Joe Montana's skills.  He was mobile, was smart and accurate on the move, but lacked the arm strength to be a great pocket passer (which may be why he fell to the third round).  Looking back, it was a bit of a miracle that he didn't get hurt more than he did with guys like Lawrence Taylor and Richard Dent playing the outside so much.  I think Steve Young took more pounding and got hurt.

Luck could run, but stayed in the pocket a lot because he had the arm to do so.  Bad arms like Lamar and Deshaun run more.

So who's to say exactly what Eason's mobility is.  He's got the arm to stay in the pocket so that's probably the way he has been and will be coached.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I said the same thing. He actually looks just as athletic as Herbert. No wonder Reich said he is more athletic than people think.  

Dude it's crazy how similar they look in that video. Is it just the hair? He must be a bit bigger now. 

But it shows that he can play at a high level at least. I love our QB room honestly. Let's see the cream at the top!

35 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Dude it's crazy how similar they look in that video. Is it just the hair? He must be a bit bigger now. 

But it shows that he can play at a high level at least. I love our QB room honestly. Let's see the cream at the top!

I have heard so many people after the draft  say there isn’t that huge gap between Herbert, Eason, Love. No way Eason should of fell to the fourth.  Eason is actually a much natural thrower then Herbert. Eason needs to put on about ten lbs. he is very skinny.

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I have heard so many people after the draft  say there isn’t that huge gap between Herbert, Eason, Love. No way Eason should of fell to the fourth.  Eason is actually a much natural thrower then Herbert. Eason needs to put on about ten lbs. he is very skinny.

I think Ballard may be down playing eason. Yes. He was drafted in the 4th, but you didnt sign Rivers JUST because he was familiar. If Colin from the Herd is being honest about Ballard wanting Eason the whole time, then they expect more from Eason than they're letting on. JB will be gone after this year, and I think it will be a mutual parting.

I personally don't see why some people are saying he looks much better. He looked even better last year, he did all this stuff last year. This isn't new. The knocks on him may be real though, but you don't have to look back at his freshman year to see he can make all the throws. Just remember these are highlights. He doesn't necessarily do this consistently, but there's definitely some talent there.

3 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

I personally don't see why some people are saying he looks much better. He looked even better last year, he did all this stuff last year. This isn't new. The knocks on him may be real though, but you don't have to look back at his freshman year to see he can make all the throws. Just remember these are highlights. He doesn't necessarily do this consistently, but there's definitely some talent there.

Mobility. Some of the knocks are can he run, can he throw on the run, can he move in the pocket, etc..? .This video shows that he can. Other videos had him turning his back to the defender.

Archived