Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jurrell Casey gone from Tennessee!

PeterBowman

I understand his cap hit is a little high, but he's 30 years old and can still play.  And after the run they had in the playoffs, I'd imagine the Titans are in win-now mode, so getting rid of him doesn't fit in with that.  On top of it all, they only got a 7th rounder back for him.  Crazy

4 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

This is what happens with the salary cap. Good players are basically given away because they need that money for another position.

If they wanna pinch pennies, 4 years/$118 mil/$62 mil guaranteed to Tannehill was insane.  He played well for them, but almost $30 mil a year for a guy who doesn't even average 250 yards a game?

I'm also not a cap expert, but I imagine they could have restructured Casey's deal to save some cap money.

And if all that fails, they could still have gotten much better than a 7th round pick for him.

26 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

If they wanna pinch pennies, 4 years/$118 mil/$62 mil guaranteed to Tannehill was insane.  He played well for them, but almost $30 mil a year for a guy who doesn't even average 250 yards a game?

I'm also not a cap expert, but I imagine they could have restructured Casey's deal to save some cap money.

And if all that fails, they could still have gotten much better than a 7th round pick for him.

Exactly what I was thinking

32 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Simmons made Casey expendable.  I would guess this was done to free up money for a big signing coming soon.  Possibly Clowney to Tennessee

Definitely cap relief move-

Salary (moved)              Dead Cap                Cap savings

$13,387,500                   $3,200,000                $10,187,500

and his cap hit for both 2021 and 2022 was going to be 13.8+ million each year.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

The reason the Tannyhill contract isn't so bad is that it's basically a 2 year deal with the option for additional years if the team wants him. The signing bonus is his first two years, all other years have no dead cap hit if he's released..

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I guess they really like what they are seeing from Simmons. 

Completely understandable if they do...he looks like a future Pro Bowler. 

Casey had somewhat of a down year...and is going to be 30. Still...it's always somewhat jarring to see a franchise stalwart get traded for next to nothing...just to clear cap space. The NFL is a business...first and foremost.

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

Looks like we were right about those ridiculous Foles trade scenarios. Not only did they not have to give up anything...they actually got back a useful 4th round comp pick. From what I have read...Ballard was offering a 5th round pick...so he was very much on the radar.

Houston giving away Hopkins/Clowney

Jags giving away Campbell

Titans giving away Casey and passing on TB

The coronavirus must have these GMs sick in the head....good thing Luck is already gone or Ballard may have traded him for a vintage guitar for Irsay!

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Simmons made Casey expendable.  I would guess this was done to free up money for a big signing coming soon.  Possibly Clowney to Tennessee

It'd be a bad signing for them to get Clowney. He is so overrated. Under Vrabel in Houston, he got 9 sacks. Not worth what he may get in free agency. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Casey?     For a 7th?

Who's making that deal?     Bill O'Brien?

It's an NFL world gone mad!

That is exactly what I was thinking. Casey and Simmons, together, were menacing for OLs to handle. It is definitely going to make our OL job easier against them.

Campbell, Casey, Hopkins, our division guys got weaker a bit, and I am certain we got stronger with Buckner and Rivers in key areas.

39 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

It'd be a bad signing for them to get Clowney. He is so overrated. Under Vrabel in Houston, he got 9 sacks. Not worth what he may get in free agency. 

Our OL has experience going against both Clowney and Watt together, that is why I am not worried.

4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Buckner got $21M...and has had one season with more than 7.5 sacks. Clowney will be a huge boost whereever he ends up.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:21 PM, ColtJax said:

This is what happens with the salary cap. Good players are basically given away because they need that money for another position.

And probably something Ballard realizes so he is sitting in wait! 

Archived