Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lombardi on qb situation

Look, I don’t disagree with his assessment that JB lacks anticipation.  But the Rivers stuff is insane.  If you have a team leader in JB that you bring back, why would you bring in a declining face of another franchise to confuse the situation?   To me it’s simple, JB is starter, and Kelly and probable draftee are there if JB proves himself not to be the man next year... I’d rather learn something and develop JB, Kelly, and draftee than bring in the next Collins..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Archer said:

Look, I don’t disagree with his assessment that JB lacks anticipation.  But the Rivers stuff is insane.  If you have a team leader in JB that you bring back, why would you bring in a declining face of another franchise to confuse the situation?   To me it’s simple, JB is starter, and Kelly and probable draftee are there if JB proves himself not to be the man next year... I’d rather learn something and develop JB, Kelly, and draftee than bring in the next Collins..

You really believe Brissett is going to learn to anticipate eight or nine years into having high level coaching at the position?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

You really believe Brissett is going to learn to anticipate eight or nine years into having high level coaching at the position?

I agree.  People always make reference to the lack of interceptions he throws.  He doesnt take chances or throw into tight windows. In other words, his lack of anticipation is why his interection rate is low.  It makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree with Lombardi here. Anticipation is make or break for a QB, and JB lacks that. And I don’t think it’s something he can really just magically improve on.

Can’t see us banking on keeping 3 QB’s throughout the entire season though. Then again I also don’t think we end up trading JB, just can’t see it happening. So, I think we either don’t sign Rivers or don’t draft a QB.

Seriously? This guy said nothing of any interest here as he covered every possible base with the Colts "potential" QB situation. Him naming Rivers is nothing more than him saying the Colts will probably take a veteran QB. So he says Colts keep JB, Colts might draft or will draft a QB, Colts will sign Rivers(Vet QB), and Kelly might get a shot. Ha!! This is so comical and literally nothing here from Lombardi. Every single out or in has been covered which really means I have no idea what the Colts will do, but if they do something I have addressed it here. Nothing to see here.

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Seriously? This guy said nothing of any interest here as he covered every possible base with the Colts "potential" QB situation. Him naming Rivers is nothing more than him saying the Colts will probably take a veteran QB. So he says Colts keep JB, Colts might draft or will draft a QB, Colts will sign Rivers(Vet QB), and Kelly might get a shot. Ha!! This is so comical and literally nothing here from Lombardi. Every single out or in has been covered which really means I have no idea what the Colts will do, but if they do something I have addressed it here. Nothing to see here.

Yeah, but a few months from now he gets to come back and declare "I told you so", regardless of the outcome.

38 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I disagree.  Brissett lacks anticipation.  U can see it a lot when he stands in the pocket and holds onto the ball. I doubt he will improve as he has had the necessary time

There are plays where he showed anticipation. He just didn’t show it enough. I can name a few if you would like. He was good at it inside the red zone the first half. It was between the 20’a where he had issues the most with it.

21 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Totally agree with Lombardi here. Anticipation is make or break for a QB, and JB lacks that. And I don’t think it’s something he can really just magically improve on.

Can’t see us banking on keeping 3 QB’s throughout the entire season though. Then again I also don’t think we end up trading JB, just can’t see it happening. So, I think we either don’t sign Rivers or don’t draft a QB.

With as much cap space we have it would be easy to cut jacoby and take the one year hit.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With as much cap space we have it would be easy to cut jacoby and take the one year hit.

Oh, I hear you, I’m not even considering the money aspect because we have a ton of space right now.

It’s more just that I can’t see Ballard getting rid of JB before his contract runs out. I don’t know why, there’s the locker room aspect but I don’t think that’s the main reason. Just can’t see us trading/cutting him. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Indeee said:

He's breaking down the QB situation, not making any final predictions or anything. Not sure what's wrong with that.

6 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

He's breaking down the QB situation, not making any final predictions or anything. Not sure what's wrong with that.

There's nothing really wrong, it's just open ended and pointless. The only thing I personally agreed with was his assessment of JB, which we all fans already knew pertaining to him holding on to the ball too long

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree.  People always make reference to the lack of interceptions he throws.  He doesnt take chances or throw into tight windows. In other words, his lack of anticipation is why his interection rate is low.  It makes sense.

Your right, how dare we like a quarterback that doesnt turn the ball over...

BRING ME JAMEIS WINSTON and his 30 interceptions (but at least he takes risks)

6 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I don’t know.  I don’t think he’s as far off as most on this forum believe.  He does a lot of things right for this offense...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I disagree.  He regressed as the season progressed. Not what u want to see.

you mean after he was hurt and determined he was still better than anyone else to play the position for the team?   And yes I'm including wonder boy in there

15 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Your right, how dare we like a quarterback that doesnt turn the ball over...

BRING ME JAMEIS WINSTON and his 30 interceptions (but at least he takes risks)

I think you are very well aware of the difference between a QB who takes calculated risks and Jameis Winston who throws the risk analysis out the window.  There's no need to embellish the counterargument's extreme to make a bad point.  A QB who avoids all risks is about as bad as a QB who throws caution to the wind.  

Speaking of Brissett and Winston, who won that game?  Before you go into defense this and that, I will remind you that both teams are making no secret about the fact that their confidence is not in their current QB.

Agree with his assessment of Jacoby. There’s just certain important things he lacks as a QB that he can’t learn at this point in his career because it’s the instinctual things. At this point, any fan who thinks a 27 year old QB is still Developing  is kidding themselves.

I disagree with his QB prediction though. There’s no way we’d have Brissett, Rivers, and a draft pick all on the roster at once. The cap hit would be crazy for the season. Brisset has like a $21 mil cap hit for 2020. You’d have to get Rivers at least $20 mil, and a rookie will likely have about a $8 mil cap hit. Rough estimate says in 2020 you’d be paying about $48 million to 3 QBs. Don’t see that happening. If you sign Rivers you cut Jacoby before June 1st.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agree with his assessment of Jacoby. There’s just certain important things he lacks as a QB that he can’t learn at this point in his career because it’s the instinctual things. At this point, any fan who thinks a 27 year old QB is still Developing  is kidding themselves.

I disagree with his QB prediction though. There’s no way we’d have Brissett, Rivers, and a draft pick all on the roster at once. The cap hit would be crazy for the season. Brisset has like a $21 mil cap hit for 2020. You’d have to get Rivers at least $20 mil, and a rookie will likely have about a $8 mil cap hit. Rough estimate says in 2020 you’d be paying about $48 million to 3 QBs. Don’t see that happening. If you sign Rivers you cut Jacoby before June 1st.

Given the fact that JB still costs us a $12.5 cap hit if we cut him beofre June 1, we will still have a pretty hefty QB payroll.  I think the cheapest option is to roll with JB and a rookie ($29m per your numbers plus som change for a 3rd string).  Whereas if we signed Rivers, cut Brissett and draft a QB, you're looking at $41m-ish.  EDIT: Numbers might be a little off, so sorry if you don't follow.

Lucky for us, we have the cap room.  Hopefully we're in a position to draft a QB heir.

• Like 1

I could see a scenario where we sign Rivers and go in a win now mode.  Trade JB for a pick to remove any drama.  Draft a QB later in the draft to develop on the practice squad.  Cut Hoyer and make Kelly the backup QB.  Kelly already earned the backup job at Denver before his problem caused him to be cut.  That's a few years ago.  It looks like he's finally got it together now.  Ballard also made him the highest paid practice squad player in the league last year in order to keep him with the Colts.  That should tell us something.  They like him a lot.  So I could envision something like this happening.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I could see a scenario where we sign Rivers and go in a win now mode.  Trade JB for a pick to remove any drama.  Draft a QB later in the draft to develop on the practice squad.  Cut Hoyer and make Kelly the backup QB.  Kelly already earned the backup job at Denver before his problem caused him to be cut.  That's a few years ago.  It looks like he's finally got it together now.  Ballard also made him the highest paid practice squad player in the league last year in order to keep him with the Colts.  That should tell us something.  They like him a lot.  So I could envision something like this happening.  

There's not likely to be much of a trade market with his current contract.  Even then, I think we still eat some dead money.  Like $5m maybe?  I forget where I saw that, but I didn't have any reason to doubt it either.

57 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Interview with Love and Kinlaw if you want to listen.

FWIW I heard Lance Zierlein of the NFL network classify Love as a Boom or Bust prospect on Cowherds show.  Either or no in-between.   Take your chance if you dare.  Gave him a grade of 6.5 whatever that means.

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

FWIW I heard Lance Zierlein of the NFL network classify Love as a Boom or Bust prospect on Cowherds show.  Either or no in-between.   Take your chance if you dare.  Gave him a grade of 6.5 whatever that means.

The draftnetwork guy said he had Mahomes as boom or bust also. These kind of players will be just fine if they get good coaching.  I heard something about Herbert and it said he needs a nurturer not a guy in his face kind of coach. It’s all about going to the right organization.

On 2/17/2020 at 12:36 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

He's a highly intelligent player, very self aware of his deficiencies. He plays 110% and his 110% is just average. He's at his ceiling and a good back up for a strong run team. It is what it is. Time to move him to 2nd string or move on completely. Shouldn't even be debatable.