Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

In good hands to find our next QB?

CR91

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

I do want to clarify one thing from my earlier posts. People were responding as if I want to keep Brissett and start him.  As if I think everything is fine.  obviously not the case.  Brissett looked like he was going to come through in the first half of the season, but hte undeniable fact is that the other half of the  season also happened.

All I'm arguing for is that if we want a QB to cover the season while we bring a draft pick up to speed, it's a better use of assets to start the guy we have until the rookie is ready, rather than to try to do everything at once, bring in a luxury starter and draft a high profile rookie too.

I get the feeling that we want to compete next year too, but if you spend too many assets trying to set up the perfect situation in any one position, it will rob us of the ability to field a balanced roster.  We have other desperate needs that we also need to focus on, besides QB. 

I'd rather roll with what we have plus one rookie QB in the first couple rounds, and pick up a meaty DE, another solid all round TE and a couple WR with some flash rather than throwing away the money and assets we need to do all these things trying to get cute in one area.

In 74 the Colts tried that, keeping Marty Domres starting over Bert Jones while drafting John Dutton(DT), Roger Carr(WR) and Freddie Cook (DE).  It got Head Coach Howard Schnellenberger fired by game 3...

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Are you familiar with the game of football?   Carson Wentz has never sucked.   Ever.

He’s had two problems....  one, he’s been hurt a lot.  Two, the team around him has gotten worse.   But Wentz is a very good quarterback.

I’m sorry you don’t know this. 

Ha .   Sorry but not buying into it.   You like him I don't .   Over rated as hell IMO

Remember when you mount your argument I said IMO .   You want to disagree fine but don't try manipulate others if they don't agree.     

43 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Ha .   Sorry but not buying into it.   You like him I don't .   Over rated as hell IMO

Remember when you mount your argument I said IMO .   You want to disagree fine but don't try manipulate others if they don't agree.     

Hey...,  it’s my opinion and my opinion only.  But don’t be surprised if you don’t find much support for your view pretty much anywhere.

Who agrees with you?

Which website agrees with you?   If there is one, I’m not aware of it. 

Remember...   you’re not arguing he’s very good or good or above average.   You’re arguing ...   he sucks.   Now today, in this post,  you’ve moved to “over-rated”.   And you may get some support for that.  But at some point you have to take a stand....   what is he?   Does he suck?   Is he only good or something else?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey...,  it’s my opinion and my opinion only.  But don’t be surprised if you don’t find much support for your view pretty much anywhere.

Who agrees with you?

Remember...   you’re not arguing he’s very good or good or above average.   You’re arguing ...   he sucks.   Now today, in this post,  you’ve moved to “over-rated”.   And you may get some support for that.  But at some point you have to take a stand....   what is he?   Does he suck?   Is he only good or something else?

My take on Wentz is that hes very talented but not a leader at all, a bit like Roethlisberger.  He makes the team better when he's on the field but he plays too aggressively and takes bad risks that get him hurt.  And his personality in the locker room is less than inspiring.

It says something when members of Wentz's own team, to his face, are openly criticizing the guy's perceived lack of leadership.  That's just not done, when it gets to that point either the QB or the clique of malcontented players are usually gone in fairly short order.

No doubt Wentz can bring it on the field, but you and I and everyone who's ever played or watched football knows that the field is less than half the battle sometimes.  A quarterback that loses the locker room is not a great quarterback no matter what caliber the arm howitzer is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

My take on Wentz is that hes very talented but not a leader at all, a bit like Roethlisberger.  He makes the team better when he's on the field but he plays too aggressively and takes bad risks that get him hurt.  And his personality in the locker room is less than inspiring.

It says something when members of Wentz's own team, to his face, are openly criticizing the guy's perceived lack of leadership.  That's just not done, when it gets to that point either the QB or the clique of malcontented players are usually gone in fairly short order.

No doubt Wentz can bring it on the field, but you and I and everyone who's ever played or watched football knows that the field is less than half the battle sometimes.  A quarterback that loses the locker room is not a great quarterback no matter what caliber the arm howitzer is.

I tend to agree with this.  Never been a Carson Wentz fan, lot's of talent, but for a big strong guy, he gets injured way to often.  Big arm, little heart.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who agrees with you?

he sucks and is over rated.   See he can be both.   I don't care who agrees with me.  Remember when I said it was my opinion?   And I certainly don't care if you agree with me.   You use to be a decent poster, now you're just a crotchety old grump that argues with everyone. Stick to your opinion and move along 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who agrees with you?

I put Wentz in the good category. IMO he hasn't reached very good or great yet as a whole but he definitely is better than average/above average. In 2017 when Philly won the SB he was playing some great football before he got injured but he just hasn't sustained that play long enough. Injuries have a lot to do with it. He hasn't had near the career Luck had and I put Luck in the very good category for having 4 solid years and winning 4 playoff games. To be in the great category, IMO a QB has to sustain greatness over a long period of time or win a SB or 2. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

he sucks and is over rated.   See he can be both.   I don't care who agrees with me.  Remember when I said it was my opinion?   And I certainly don't care if you agree with me.   You use to be a decent poster, now you're just a crotchety old grump that argues with everyone. Stick to your opinion and move along 

Im not arguing with you.  I was simply asking.   Not looking for a fight.  I wanted you to clarify your position.  And you have.

And now that YOU have made this personal I’ll try to avoid you.   I’m too “crotchety old and grumpy” to waste my time with you. 

Good Luck. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way, and not for nothing...  NFL.com just ranked Wentz 10th among QBs who played all 16 games last year. 

Not too bad for a QB who reportedly sucks. 

Apparently you just can't wrap your brain around the phrase IMO!  Maybe you don't know what that means, if so it means IN MY OPINION!!!   I'm just glad it meant so much to you to be able to argue with someone that you waste your time thinking I GAD  (give a damn BTW) about what you think. In a way that is respecting your opinion in a backhanded way.

You have an opinion fine.  You don't see me trying to change your mind do you? 

You said this,  

I’ll try to avoid you.   I’m too “crotchety old and grumpy” to waste my time with you.

and when you did I laughed because I knew you couldn't do it

And BTW (by the way) .  you didn't think Pagano sucked either

4 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Apparently you just can't wrap your brain around the phrase IMO!  Maybe you don't know what that means, if so it means IN MY OPINION!!!   I'm just glad it meant so much to you to be able to argue with someone that you waste your time thinking I GAD  (give a damn BTW) about what you think. In a way that is respecting your opinion in a backhanded way.

You have an opinion fine.  You don't see me trying to change your mind do you? 

You said this,  

and when you did I laughed because I knew you couldn't do it

And BTW (by the way) .  you didn't think Pagano sucked either

No I didn’t think Pagano sucked either.

And nobody who knows football does either.

And, as a person who holds a number of unpopular opinions, I’m well aware of what IMO means.   

Did you notice that I didn’t respond directly to you?   I responded in a separate stand alone post.  

I’ll be direct with you.   I don’t know you.   At all.   When I saw you I thought perhaps you were a new poster.   I was not familiar with your viewpoints. That’s why I’ve tried to politely ask you to explain your positions.   I asked you to clarify Wentz sucks with Wentz being over-rated.  A player can be good and still be over-rated.   And you took that as a signal that I wanted to fight with you when I had no interest.

So since we have no history that I’m aware of, it strikes me that you’ve been a member here for a while and reading my stuff and clearly not liking my posts.   You’ve got a whole head full of hate and anger with me,  and I don’t even know you.

So again..,   I’ll try to avoid you.  That means I won’t respond directly to you.  But if you write something controversial or highly suspect,  which IMO you did,  then I reserve the right to at least comment, especially when it’s not direct.  My comment was intended for other people more so than it was for you.   After all, you don’t like me much.  That’s your right.  

So let’s make this our last exchange, shall we?   We’re not going to have a Love Connection. 

PS — just checked out your profile page.   And you just joined January 21st.   Not sure how you know my view on Pagano for someone new to the website?   Perhaps someone whispered to you?   No matter.  You’ve got a lot of anger built up in such a short amount of time.   What a shame. 

On 2/14/2020 at 11:41 PM, ojsglove said:

I tend to agree with this.  Never been a Carson Wentz fan, lot's of talent, but for a big strong guy, he gets injured way to often.  Big arm, little heart.

Rumours about Wentz mayb true.  That being said.  Did  u watch this season and much like Brissett, he lost al of his weapons.  He put Philly on his back and made the play offs. Dont fool yourself,, he is one of the bettter ones.  

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 8:44 AM, WifiGuy said:

Hypothetical trade.  Wentz for Indys  #13 pick this year.  Ballard and Reich would fall over each other for this trade. And probably would throw in another #1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 5:56 AM, lincolndefan said:

Would be a great mistake! IMO

On 2/7/2020 at 7:39 AM, Hammer said:

I think you may be right but it will still be wasting a year because whoever we might draft next year will sit behind Jacoby. Let's get it over with.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:29 AM, Imgrandojji said:

History disagrees with you.  Most of the greats sat for a year or 2 behind another QB.  Brady behind Blesdoe, Rodgers behind Favre, Mahomes behind Smith, etc.

When you throw a rookie right into the fire on week 1 day one that's a tough emotional hurdle to clear.  More than 1 promising QB has been destroyed that way.  Some do fine of course, but enough don't that you have to consider whether it's worth the risk, especially when the risk is almost completely unnecessary, all you have to do to avoid being forced into that risk is NOT get rid of your incumbent starter

Exactly, like @Imgrandojji says -- it is pretty uncommon for rookie QBs to have the mental and physical tools to be prepared completely to start as rookies.  Some can do it, some can go through growing pains and bounce back stronger (e.g., Peyton Manning), others struggle with it a lot more (e.g., Ryan Leaf) and wind up never panning out, perhaps more due to the mental beating they took from being thrown in the fire too fast.    

On 2/7/2020 at 7:32 PM, WifiGuy said:

Well Carson Wentz sucks so that int good for Colts fans if this is a standard of which to judge 

Wentz was 2nd team all-pro in 2017.  He threw for >4,000 yards last year on a team with a lot of injury problems and lead them into the playoffs.

He may not be the best NFL QB, but he far from 'sucks.'

21 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Exactly, like @Imgrandojji says -- it is pretty uncommon for rookie QBs to have the mental and physical tools to be prepared completely to start as rookies.  Some can do it, some can go through growing pains and bounce back stronger (e.g., Peyton Manning), others struggle with it a lot more (e.g., Ryan Leaf) and wind up never panning out, perhaps more due to the mental beating they took from being thrown in the fire too fast.    

Wentz was 2nd team all-pro in 2017.  He threw for >4,000 yards last year on a team with a lot of injury problems and lead them into the playoffs.

He may not be the best NFL QB, but he far from 'sucks.'

That whole opinion thing comes into play again.    I like Liver and Onions with mustard .  Do you?

On 2/14/2020 at 11:51 AM, jimmy g said:

In 74 the Colts tried that, keeping Marty Domres starting over Bert Jones while drafting John Dutton(DT), Roger Carr(WR) and Freddie Cook (DE).  It got Head Coach Howard Schnellenberger fired by game 3...

I dig that the perspective around here can go back this far (and further).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Rivers will give us instant playoffs this year while a new rookie qb will be the understudy. Also I see Jb being traded. 

Rivers will not give us instant playoffs.  Phillip Rivers has always been talented, but somehow substantially less than the sum pf his parts.

I'm not against a JB trade, but not if the guy you're bringing in is Phillip Rivers.  At this point in Rivers' career it would more or less be rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, and probably paying handsomely for the privilege. 

Besides, just a reminder here, the noise against Brissett is coming entirely from outside the organization.  There's still no evidence that the people inside the organization are prepared to do anything with Brissett.  And one thing we know about Ballard is that he won't make moves just for the sake of having made a move.

Most likely scenario is still "Brissett starts the season with a new high round draft pick as his understudy."  If I had to lay out money, that's where I'd put it at the moment.  We'll see.

On 2/16/2020 at 9:10 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Getting hurt adds up to “little heart” ?

How unbelievably sad.

It's always interesting to me seeing people call "soft" players like Luck who played with constant pain for 2 years in his throwing shoulder, beat the Superbowl champion with lacerated kidney, etc. or call "little heart" players like Wentz who tore his ACL and came back to throw a TD with that ACL...

I'd take Wentz in a heartbeat as our QB if such opportunity presented itself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stitches said:

It's always interesting to me seeing people call "soft" players like Luck who played with constant pain for 2 years in his throwing shoulder, beat the Superbowl champion with lacerated kidney, etc. or call "little heart" players like Wentz who tore his ACL and came back to throw a TD with that ACL...

I'd take Wentz in a heartbeat as our QB if such opportunity presented itself.

1000%

10 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Rivers will not give us instant playoffs.  Phillip Rivers has always been talented, but somehow substantially less than the sum pf his parts.

I'm not against a JB trade, but not if the guy you're bringing in is Phillip Rivers.  At this point in Rivers' career it would more or less be rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, and probably paying handsomely for the privilege. 

Besides, just a reminder here, the noise against Brissett is coming entirely from outside the organization.  There's still no evidence that the people inside the organization are prepared to do anything with Brissett.  And one thing we know about Ballard is that he won't make moves just for the sake of having made a move.

Most likely scenario is still "Brissett starts the season with a new high round draft pick as his understudy."  If I had to lay out money, that's where I'd put it at the moment.  We'll see.

You should start looking where your local bread line may be. You might need it.