Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Mel Kiper Jr.’s Mock Draft 1.0 Projects the Colts to Select Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy

I wouldn't be thrilled though I do like the history of Alabama and LSU WRs in the NFL. A non-alpha wide out, drafted in Round 2, can be made to produce like an alpha wide out with the right QB and OL, IMO. I am not saying we should wait till Day 3 or even Round 3 but if we are thinking skill position, the QB trumps the WR any day of the week w.r.t impact on the team.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I wouldn't be thrilled though I do like the history of Alabama and LSU WRs in the NFL. A non-alpha wide out, drafted in Round 2, can be made to produce like an alpha wide out with the right QB and OL, IMO. I am not saying we should wait till Day 3 or even Round 3 but if we are thinking skill position, the QB trumps the WR any day of the week w.r.t impact on the team.

Sure.  I would consider what sure-thing player I would be getting at 13 between QB, DT, OT, and WR, probably in that order.  If anyone of those have questions about their NFL abilities/chances of success, they simply drop off the list, IMO.  I'm done caring about ceiling.

Jeudy has been seen as the #1 WR for this class, and one of the best (if not THE best) route runners to come out in quite a few years.  I'd prefer a QB or DT, but the Colts would be getting an OUTSTANDING prospect who could be our #1 for years to come.  I'd be just fine with it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Jeudy has been seen as the #1 WR for this class, and one of the best (if not THE best) route runners to come out in quite a few years.  I'd prefer a QB or DT, but the Colts would be getting an OUTSTANDING prospect who could be our #1 for years to come.  I'd be just fine with it.

I remember way back in the Marvin Harrison draft.  Harrison was a little guy, but was considered the most polished and NFL ready WR in the draft.  But Keyshawn Johnson was taken #1 because of physicality and more developable "traits" and upside.  MH was taken by Bill Tobin at pick #19.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If you have no QB it’s not really going to matter much which WR you have. QB or DT  then WR . If the right QB is not there   DT is next. 

In this example, both Brown and Kinlaw are off the board.  Drafting by position only is a terrible strategy.  Get good players.  Of course there are higher priority needs, but if the players for that position aren't there and you get can get a possible blue chip prospect at 13 (!) I don't know why you would dismiss it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Drafting by position only is a terrible strategy. 

normally i say the same thing but QBs are different imo.  we may never find a good qb if they go bpa every year 

what if we keep picking in the 10-20 range? there will never be a sure thing QB at those spots 

My worry is that without the QB who can efficiently run this offense and distribute the ball to the receivers, it doesn't matter if you get TY Hilton or prime Jerry Rice or Jerry Jeudy to line up out wide. 

I would LOVE having Jerry Jeudy on this team. But what I would love even more is if we had a QB we could rely on to consistently find him. What's the point of having open receivers when the QB won't throw the ball or will bullet it over their heads? The only thing that will happen is we will get even more annoyed with the lack of offensive production. 

In the absolute ideal case, IMO - teams would be lower on Jordan Love because of how raw he is and we will be able to get him with the second pick, rather than the #13 pick, thus allowing us to get a talent like Jeudy in the 1st. Unfortunately, I kind of doubt both that Jeudy lasts til 13 and that Love lasts until the end of the 1s-early 2nd. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

normally i say the same thing but QBs are different imo.  we may never find a good qb if they go bpa every year 

what if we keep picking in the 10-20 range? there will never be a sure thing QB at those spots 

I get that, but I don't think getting a blue chip prospect with player comps to Marvin Harrison is something I'd get upset about.  I also won't lose my mind if we end up sticking with Jacoby for the next year.  This is the first chance/offseason Ballard's had since the Luck retirement.  Expecting or demanding that he fix it now, or else, seems unfair to me.  I'd definitely like an upgrade, and I'd be just fine and happy if we grabbed Love in this situation (or traded back up into the first for him).  But to get Jeudy at #13 is a steal and I just find it hard to fault Ballard for jumping on that chance, if this were to happen.  We might not get the most out of him with Jacoby slinging it this year, but who says you have to take a QB before a WR?  As long as the team gets built with good/great, quality players, I'm going to be ok with it.  Just my view on it, though.  

• Like 4

If Herbert or Love is there at 13 and the colts pass for a DT and Love or Herbert go on and excel in the next year or two Ballard is going to look bad. I still think If he is sold on one of them you do everything to get them.  QB is the number one priority if he is sold. You never risk losing a QB by waiting that you are sold on. Ballard might have a longer leash with the Luck retirement but failing to address QB will get him fired. Especially if Jacoby looks the same as last year and doesn’t improve. He might improve some with healthier and better weapons but he isn’t going to turn elite all of a sudden.

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

My worry is that without the QB who can efficiently run this offense and distribute the ball to the receivers, it doesn't matter if you get TY Hilton or prime Jerry Rice or Jerry Jeudy to line up wide. 

I would LOVE having Jerry Jeudy on this team. But what I would love even more is if we had a QB we could rely on to consistently find him. What's the point of having open receivers when the QB won't throw the ball or will bullet it over their heads? The only thing that will happen is we will get even more annoyed with the lack of offensive production. 

In the absolute ideal case, IMO - teams would be lower on Jordan Love because of how raw he is and we will be able to get him with the second pick, rather than the #13 pick, thus allowing us to get a talent like Jeudy in the 1st. Unfortunately, I kind of doubt both that Jeudy lasts til 13 and that Love lasts until the end of the 1s-early 2nd. 

Its going to take several years to build this team.  Look at TY and AC having to be replaced.  You need those kinds of players anyway.  Nothing says that you have to start building with the QB and wait on everything else until you find him.

Marvin Harrison didn't explode until PM cam on the scene, true, but he was here and that certainly helped PM.  MH did well in his early years with Harbaugh.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its going to take several years to build this team.  Look at TY and AC having to be replaced.  You need them anyway.  Nothing says that you have to start building with the QB.

Marvin Harrison didn't explode until PM cam on the scene, true, but he was here and that certainly helped PM.  MH did well in his early years with Harbaugh.

I don't think this team is that far off. I think we have a ton of good players and I think we have a ton of solid to very good YOUNG pieces that can only get better. The problem is the little that we are missing is missing at some of the most important positions in football - namely QB, OT(if AC retires, and even if he doesn't we will need to find long-term replacement if he's thinking about retiring now), WR(both to supplement TY and to eventually replace him whenever he's gone/retired. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't think this team is that far off. I think we have a ton of good players and I think we have a ton of solid to very good YOUNG pieces that can only get better. The problem is the little that we are missing is missing at some of the most important positions in football - namely QB, OT(if AC retires, and even if he doesn't we will need to find long-term replacement if he's thinking about retiring now), WR(both to supplement TY and to eventually replace him whenever he's gone/retired. 

I don't disagree, on paper, but those positions are expensive.  You only get one expensive draft choice per year, usually.  A rookie QB is going to take three years to hit his stride.  AC and TY will be gone by then.  

If one of the QBs is a sure thing at 13 then I would take him over any other player that is also a sure thing. 

But having Derrick Brown or Jeudy ball for another team when Herbert or Love put up 25/25 numbers in a 6-10 season, that's going to look bad too.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Every year they put off a QB Nelson, Leonard, and Moore are getting older.  Waiting until next year you don’t know what will be there or where you are picking. If the right guy is there now you take him. That is the most important piece. 

Nobody is saying anything differently.  But he has to be the right guy.  If college graduation or declaration doesn't produce that this year, you move on to a right guy at another position.  I would think a right guy at one of three positions; WR, OT, or DT would be on the board. 

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't disagree.  A rookie QB is going to take three years to hit his stride.  AC and TY will be gone by then.  

If one of the QBs is a sure thing at 13 then I would take him over any other player that is also a sure thing. 

But having Derrick Brown or Jeudy ball for another team when Herbert or Love put up 25/25 numbers in a 6-10 season, that's going to look bad too.

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. There is NO great solution for us next year at the QB spot. There is no QB on our roster, or in FA or in the draft that will play great for us next year. NONE of them is the solution right away. I know this will sound bad but... forget about next year. Think long-term. Luck retiring at that moment screwed us over majorly. There is no good solution for us for the 2020 season at QB. The question is not whether Herbert or Love will put 25-25 in a 6-10 season in 2020. The question is whether Herbert or Love will be franchise QBs between 2021 and 2031+. This is where we should be looking at, not at 2020. This is what should make your decision - whether you think they are franchise QB long-term. not whether they will struggle as rookies. 

There is not a draft pick that will make this team a contender next year. Not Jeudy, not Brown... hell.... you know what... even Chase Young. If the offense is relying on the same type of play that Brissett gave us last year, it wouldn't matter what Derrick Brown is doing. We might finish 9-7 instead of 7-9. Does it matter? And then we will be faced with the same decision next year's draft... only this time we will be drafting even later and in potentially worse QB class(at least past Lawrence and Fields). And then you will again have to say - why not draft the next no. 17 WR/DT/OT if the QB you draft will finish the following year 25/25. No rookie will be amazing. This is not the question. The question is whether you think the QB you draft will be great for the next 10-15 years, not for next year. 

edit: Just to add something - one more thing people forget - whoever you draft is not a sure thing. Even Derrick Brown and Jerry Jeudy. Look at last year- Quinnen WIlliams, who I loved in the draft and went no. 3. He had horrible year for the Jets. The same uncertainty that you have for the QBs, you have for all other players that drop to 13. Also - very few rookies are amazing year 1, even if they pan out long-term. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stitches said:

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. There is NO great solution for us next year at the QB spot. There is no QB on our roster, or in FA or in the draft that will play great for us next year. NONE of them is the solution right away. I know this will sound bad but... forget about next year. Think long-term. Luck retiring at that moment screwed us over majorly. There is no good solution for us for the 2020 season at QB. The question is not whether Herbert or Love will put 25-25 in a 6-10 season in 2020. The question is whether Herbert or Love will be franchise QBs between 2021 and 2031+. This is where we should be looking at, not at 2020.

There is not a draft pick that will make this team a contender next year. Not Jeudy, not Brown... hell.... you know what... even Chase Young. If the offense is relying on the same type of play that Brissett gave us last year, it wouldn't matter what Derrick Brown is doing. We might finish 9-7 instead of 7-9. Does it matter? And then we will be faced with the same decision next year's draft... only this time we will be drafting even later and in potentially worse QB class(at least past Lawrence and Fields). And then you will again have to say - why not draft the next no. 17 WR/DT/OT if the QB you draft will finish the following year 25/25. No rookie will be amazing. This is not the question. The question is whether you think the QB you draft will be great for the next 10-15 years, not for next year. 

I know that.  I'm saying the 25/25 is indicative of him not being the right guy, not meaning just next year.  Sorry for the confusion.

I say pick the sure thing at 13, because simply picking a QB at 13 out of need isn't going to help. 

Its going to take a long time to get a QB, a #1DT, a LT, and #1WR.

about 4 years.

So why does it matter which one you pick first?   You pick the one that you know won't set you back another year, IMO.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I know that.  I'm saying the 25/25 is indicative of him not being the right guy, not meaning just next year.  Sorry for the confusion.

I say pick the sure thing at 13, because simply picking a QB at 13 out of need isn't going to help. 

Oh for sure, absolutely. You don't draft a QB just to draft a QB. You draft him if you really like him and you think you can develop him into a franchise QB. I'm very rarely(if not never) a proponent of drafting for need. 

Its going to take a long time to get a QB, a #1DT, a LT, and #1WR.

about 4 years.

So why does it matter which one you pick first?   You pick the one that you know won't set you back another year, IMO.

I don't think that's correct. We can walk and chew gum at the same time. No. 13 is not the only asset we have. We have 3 picks in the top 45. Those should be bona fide starters. And at least 2 of them you have to rely on being high impact players. You have 6 more draft picks later. Not all will pan out. Most might bust, but you have shots to take. 

You have 100M of cap space. Go get a piece or two(my most realistic one here is the DT - there is that weird dynamic where a ton of teams don't value DTs much, but for our specific scheme the 3T is actually pretty important. IMO there is a chance Ballard selectively targets a DT in FA. 

What about this - lets say Ballard goes and pays up for Javon Hargrave in FA(and not much else). Draft QB at ~13. Trade up from 34 to the 20s and get Andrew Thomas(if rumors are correct that he might drop) or if not go get Mekhi Becton or Josh Jones, or whoever LT prospect you like best. Then attack WR on day 2 and in next year's draft. I don't think this is unrealistic scenario. You might address all those big needs in 2 years and have a team ready to compete by 2021. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

With us having two great second round picks and the depth at WR this draft I doubt the colts take a WR at 13. He also has love dropping clear to the saints. That isn’t happening.

The problem is who is going to be able to get him the ball 

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

Oh for sure, absolutely. You don't draft a QB just to draft a QB. You draft him if you really like him and you think you can develop him into a franchise QB. I'm very rarely(if not never) a proponent of drafting for need. 

I don't think that's correct. We can walk and chew gum at the same time. No. 13 is not the asset we have. We have 3 picks in the top 45. Those should be bona fide starters. And at least 2 of them you have to rely on being high impact players. You have 6 more draft picks later. Not all will pan out. Most might bust, but you have shots to take. 

You have 100M of cap space. Go get a piece or two(my most realistic one here is the DT - there is that weird dynamic where a ton of teams don't value DTs much, but for our specific scheme the 3T is actually pretty important. IMO there is a chance Ballard selectively targets a DT in FA. 

What about this - lets say Ballard goes and pays up for Javon Hargrave in FA(and not much else). Draft QB at ~13. Trade up from 34 to the 20s and get Andrew Thomas(if rumors are correct that he might drop) or if not go get Mekhi Becton or Josh Jones, or whoever LT prospect you like best. Then attack WR on day 2 and in next year's draft. I don't think this is unrealistic scenario. You might address all those big needs in 2 years and have a team ready to compete by 2021. 

Well, I may not be correct, but I'm being consistent: 

I think to get all four of those positions, valuable positions to play well, you need 1st rounders. Also a #1 EDGE.  That's 5 years devoted to building a team if you don't have those players, or some roll off due to retirement.  See SF (took about 5 years) I don't think teams let the good ones go in FA either.

I think you can use 2nds to get Gs, ILBs, FSs, RBs, #2 Wrs, TEs etc. 

This is why I was not enthused about the Hooker or Nelson picks, especially being on the heels of the Kelly pick.  I'm not criticizing Ballard, because you have to pick what makes sense at the time.  Maybe my disappointment comes from just bad luck on how the drafts fell, but when you continually ignore positional value, it comes back to bite you.  I think we are seeing the effects of that.

I don't know if we even have a #1 EDGE. 

Ballard is going to have to work miracles to get us to where we need to be in 3 years, IMO.  Maybe he'll hit on the high second, pick 34.  Lets hope so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, I may not be correct, but I'm being consistent: 

I think to get all four of those positions, valuable positions to play well, you need 1st rounders. Also a #1 EDGE.  That's 5 years devoted to building a team if you don't have those players, or some roll off due to retirement.  See SF (took about 5 years) I don't think teams let the good ones go in FA either.

I think you can use 2nds to get Gs, ILBs, FSs, RBs, #2 Wrs, TEs etc. 

This is why I was not enthused about the Hooker or Nelson picks, especially being on the heels of the Kelly pick.  I'm not criticizing Ballard, because you have to pick what makes sense at the time.  Maybe my disappointment comes from just bad luck on how the drafts fell, but when you continually ignore positional value, it comes back to bite you.  I think we are seeing the effects of that.

I don't know if we even have a #1 EDGE. 

Ballard is going to have to work miracles to get us to where we need to be in 3 years, IMO.  Maybe he'll hit on the high second, pick 34.  Lets hope so.

To some degree that's fair, but IMO a lot of it had to do with weird drafts that made it really hard to draft anyone but the players we drafted. For example, in the Hooker draft there was a leaked photo that suggested the Colts had him ranked no. 4 on their board(I had him no. 3 on mine). How do you pass on him at 15 when the Eagles got the pass-rusher right before us. And Hooker was actually playing great football before he tore his ACL, and has been solid to good after he returned. In the Nelson draft we had linebackers and safeties drafted around that pick. I guess the solution would have been to not trade back and get Bradley Chubb, but honestly... 

I think I prefer Nelson + Braden Smith + Kemoko Turay + Jordan Wilkins + Rock Ya-Sin. IMO that's not close. We got amazing value. The best guard in the league, top 5 RT in the league, promising pass-rusher and CB. We did well in this trade. 

The roster will always be a work in progress... players will come and go, but I don't think we are far off, especially when considering the type of money we have and the picks we have. We should be OK... as long as we hit on the QB we draft IMO. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, stitches said:

To some degree that's fair, but IMO a lot of it had to do with weird drafts that made it really hard to draft anyone but the players we drafted. For example, in the Hooker draft there was a leaked photo that suggested the Colts had him ranked no. 4 on their board(I had him no. 3 on mine). How do you pass on him at 15 when the Eagles got the pass-rusher right before us. And Hooker was actually playing great football before he tore his ACL, and has been solid to good after he returned. In the Nelson draft we had linebackers and safeties drafted around that pick. I guess the solution would have been to not trade back and get Bradley Chubb, but honestly... 

I think I prefer Nelson + Braden Smith + Kemoko Turay + Jordan Wilkins + Rock Ya-Sin. IMO that's not close. We got amazing value. The best guard in the league, top 5 RT in the league, promising pass-rusher and CB. We did well in this trade. 

The roster will always be a work in progress... players will come and go, but I don't think we are far off, especially when considering the type of money we have and the picks we have. We should be OK... as long as we hit on the QB we draft IMO. 

As I said, I was  and still am less than enthused.  I never go so far as to blame Ballard (but I think some here read it that way).  No GM can control how a draft falls, so having good BPAs with high positional value not be available when you pick, its not easy to do much about it. 

As I said in another thread, I'm not sure I'd ever value any positional player as worthy of a top 5 pick, (so I think all teams this year will look to trade back) so trading out of #3 made a lot of sense.  We lost DE Chubb, but I don't think he was worth it over all of the players we got back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I also don't think this team is that far off for all the reasons you mentioned.  That's why I keep coming back to the idea of acquiring Carr or maybe a potential FA QB.  We all like the potential of the young QBs in the draft but to secure one might cost a lot in draft capital.  Something we know Ballard likes.  Moving up could possibly set us back quite a few years.  Who knows.  I wonder if Ballard thinks we are close as well.  If he does might he more inclined to go the trade route for Carr or Dalton or even the FA route for maybe a guy like Bridgewater as an example.  Keep the majority of the picks and get your veteran QB and get after some holes in FA.  Ballard loves those picks.  Oh the choices that need to be made. 

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I also don't think this team is that far off for all the reasons you mentioned.  That's why I keep coming back to the idea of acquiring Carr or maybe a potential FA QB.  We all like the potential of the young QBs in the draft but to secure one might cost a lot in draft capital.  Something we know Ballard likes.  Moving up could possibly set us back quite a few years.  Who knows.  I wonder if Ballard thinks we are close as well.  If he does might he more inclined to go the trade route for Carr or Dalton or even the FA route for maybe a guy like Bridgewater as an example.  Keep the majority of the picks and get your veteran QB and get after some holes in FA.  Ballard loves those picks.  Oh the choices that need to be made. 

The reason I'm against getting Carr or Bridgewater or any other similarly skilled player in FA is the following - the QB has outsized impact on the performance of the team. It's not the majority of the team, but it's big enough that you have to put the position in its own category.And because the QB position has such outsized impact, it has the possibility of giving you certain margin of error in the construction of your team. There are 2 ways for a QB to give you margin of error:

-elite QB due to the performance they give you - it wouldn't matter if they are paid, a great QB masks a lot of warts offensively.

-average-ish QB on rookie/small deal - you get functional QB play at small price. They run your team and because they are paid so little they let you use the rest of the money that you would otherwise have to pay a QB in other areas of the team. 

The problem of Carr is that he's average and he will run your offence in a functional way, but he's paid a TON and will want to get paid even more once you give up assets for him. In other words he again gives you no margin for error - he's not good enough to give you margin of error play-wise, and he's paid too much to give you margin of error pay-wise. + again, we have to give up more assets to get him away from the Raiders(probably at the very least one of the second round picks). 

Similar rationale for other average-ish or lower players like Bridgewater.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is indeed the voice of reason.

well said.

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The right QB can win you a lot of games while your fixing the rest of the roster. A DT is not going to do that.

That's kind of obvious. Luck is an example of that.  It's also true that the wrong QB can lose you a lot of games while wasting an improved roster.

And if you spend significant draft capital to draft that QB, then you are going to give them additional years to prove themselves before you're able to pull the plug on a bad decision (QB purgatory). Meanwhile, with the lost draft capital, you may have missed out on top-tier talent in a couple other key positions. 

The question is, do any of the QBs available in THIS draft look like long term solutions worthy of #13 or even a trade up?  Some think there are and others don't.    I think this is the root of most disagreements about this draft.

The fact that there may be much more top-tier QB talent (and even generational talent) in the 2021 draft is something to keep in mind.  If the Colts start 2020 the way they ended 2019, there's a good chance they will be a contender for that top talent in 2021.  I wouldn't want to trade any of the 2021 picks to move up this year.

I think it's simple. Draft best player available. If Ballard thinks that's Jerry Jeudy, then go for it. If Ballard's guy is Jordan Love or Justin Herbert and thinks he needs to move up to get one of them, then go for it. If we don't move up or down and there's a QB that Ballard likes at #13, easy call. I'm trying not to sweat it too much. Ballard knows what kind of team he has and he's not stupid. Frank Reich and the scouts were watching the QBs very closely the last couple days, I think that should say something at the very least. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

That's kind of obvious. Luck is an example of that.  It's also true that the wrong QB can lose you a lot of games while wasting an improved roster.

And if you spend significant draft capital to draft that QB, then you are going to give them additional years to prove themselves before you're able to pull the plug on a bad decision (QB purgatory). Meanwhile, with the lost draft capital, you may have missed out on top-tier talent in a couple other key positions. 

The question is, do any of the QBs available in THIS draft look like long term solutions worthy of #13 or even a trade up?  Some think there are and others don't.    I think this is the root of most disagreements about this draft.

The fact that there may be much more top-tier QB talent (and even generational talent) in the 2021 draft is something to keep in mind.  If the Colts start 2020 the way they ended 2019, there's a good chance they will be a contender for that top talent in 2021.  I wouldn't want to trade any of the 2021 picks to move up this year.

Not one person has said to pick the wrong QB. We have all said if the right one is there or you can move up it’s a clear and obvious choice.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not one person has said to pick the wrong QB. We have all said if the right one is there or you can move up it’s a clear and obvious choice.

Lets face it, these QB threads have become comical and most do not want JB moving forward, so they will be happy with anyone at #13 - it is obvious. That is what I have been reading.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

Agreed, and this may very well happen. I really think Kinlaw's stock is rising now. And the QB we want may not be there, and there may not even be one we want even if they are there. If that were the case the most likely top players to fall into our lap would be one of the top two WRs or a top OT.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

There is NO great solution for us next year at the QB spot. There is no QB on our roster, or in FA or in the draft that will play great for us next year. NONE of them is the solution right away.

There is one great solution.  a certain retiree returning...   not realistic I know but it is possible.   Please be possible.