Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM's End of Season Press Conference

Dingus McGirt

Even if a vet QB isn't going to lead us to the playoffs, a team needs to have a QB who can throw the ball to open receivers.  Most NFL caliber QBs, especially vets who have started, can do that.

Its pretty difficult to watch an offense struggle because it fails at the basics of pitch and catch.

We have to look for the QB of the future.  There is no guarantee it will happen this draft.  It might take a long time for the right QB to align with our ability to draft him, and in that mean time the Colts need to field a competent passing game.  JB just doesn' t have much room for error.  If the first few games look like the last half of the season, the fans will stay away.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

im not, his injury worries me.

im sure a lot of people feel that way

someone is going to give him a shot though, i would not want to trade future picks for him but maybe our first and a second 

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

im sure a lot of people feel that way

someone is going to give him a shot though, i would not want to trade future picks for him but maybe our first and a second 

Some mocks have him falling out to the 2nd round. We may not need to trade for him.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's not that drafting a guy is off the table.

The entire disagreement from me is with the idea that bringing in a vet FA would be enough of an improvement over JB to help the Colts get back to contention. I don't think the guys available will be good for the Colts. I also don't see that path as the best for getting a rookie ready asap.

And the couple guys who might actually represent an improvement over JB are most likely too costly, especially if you want to draft a guy. Trading for Carr is a non-starter if you also want to draft a guy in 2020. The Foles option is highly unlikely (and is also a question mark, Foles really struggled in 2019). We talked about Rivers already.

This is the disagreement. Who makes the Colts better? Who salvages us from a wasted season? I don't see it.

And I feel like my angle is being misrepresented as 'you're okay with a wasted season with JB,' which is false. First, I don't think the result of 2019 is representative of the Colts ceiling with JB, given all the injuries. Second, I don't think that bringing in one of those other QBs salvages the 2020 season.

Well at some point this isn't going to be hypothetical, Ballard is either all in with JB next year or he's not. I also don't see anyone being too costly- it might be money or resources misplaced if said player is no good or doesn't work, but it's not like the team can't afford to make moves.

I didn't say you're okay with a wasted season exactly, but if we're going to stand pat and deal with the position later, and let JB play out next year (as if that's not wrought with it's own issues beyond his middling play)- it is going to yield a result and I think that result will be better with for example Phil Rivers than JB. Nothing that's been said makes me think otherwise on that front. For every indictment people have come up with on Phil, the ones I have on JB are that much bigger and ignoring it will be a mistake, imo.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its pretty difficult to watch an offense struggle because it fails at the basics of pitch and catch.

This.. This can't be ignored in favor of conventional wisdom or whatever safer methodology is being used to conclude that standing pat is going to work it's self out.

My thoughts:

If the Colts go with Brissett as the starter for 2020, they will finish around .500.  

I am in favor of any QB who would be an improvement over Brissett.  Whether it be Rivers, Dalton, Newton, Foles, Carr or a draft pick.  I think the Colts are on the line of being a win now team.  A great O-line doesn't last long.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

My thoughts:

If the Colts go with Brissett as the starter for 2020, they will finish around .500.  

I am in favor of any QB who would be an improvement over Brissett.  Whether it be Rivers, Dalton, Newton, Foles, Carr or a draft pick.  I think the Colts are on the line of being a win now team.  A great O-line doesn't last long.  

With next year's schedule, I think sub 500. 

Agree on OLs not lasting forever. If AC retires (I doubt he does), we could be in for a pretty big step back very soon.

My takeaway from the press conference is that  he’s almost certainly going to be looking for a QB to compete with Brissett. He’s the starter now by default but it’ll be an open competition via draft or free agency.

There is a reason the other teams are letting go of their veteran QB’s. Either the QB had a really bad year or was injured. I would rather Ballard draft a QB and have him compete with  Brissett rather than bring in a veteran QB that doesn’t have many more years left in the league. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

You guys are ignoring the point. You're forcing this 'anyone but JB makes the Colts better,' and that's the actual disagreement. 

I don't think the also-rans everyone is trotting out there make the Colts better. Even those who might, I don't believe they take the team from 'wasted season' -- which is a dramatic way of saying the team isn't ready to contend, so we can lay it at the feet of the QB, which I'm not sure I agree with -- to serious contender. 

The point is that the best way to fix the QB position, now and future, is to draft the next guy. The patchwork solution isn't attractive to me. That's not saying I'm fine with wasting time on JB, just that we need to find the next guy in the draft. 

I agree with you on the bolded statement. I don't think just anyone would be an improvement but I wouldn't mind us going with a more proven vet as a mentor as I question how that will  work with JB. I know you said that the coaches would do the coaching but they would share the QB room and JB would have to view the guy as a threat to his job. I know competition is good but to me this is different. 

I personally would like to bite the bullet and cut ties as I think we are in for a mediocre season regardless. Healthy we all have opinions. Respect yours very much. We will have to see what happens and I will try not to be to bad * second guesser!

• Like 1

My thoughts on the option for starting QB next year in order of preference:

1. Draft a QB we like and start developing him. If he's ready by week 1, start him. If he's not, start Jacoby. This is the situation I personally prefer most. It gives us the highest upside for several reasons - Ballard and Reich will love what he has as tools and skills(otherwise wouldn't draft him) and will draft him because they love him and they will get about as blank of slate as can be to paint their masterpiece. No baggage in the NFL, good coaching staff with great OLine to develop him into whatever you want him to be. Furthermore - relatively low salary, which would let you invest elsewhere. If he turns out great, this is the best situation for contention - great QB on rookie/low salary for at least several years before you have to pay him 

2.a If we don't like a QB in the draft - get blue chip prospect at another position(Lets say Ceedee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy fall). Start Jacoby. My thought process is... if you didn't like anyone in this QB class, keep the powder dry and improve the roster at key positions both for Jacoby in 2020 and for eventual future QB draftee. 

2.b If you don't like a QB in the draft - trade down for future picks. Start Jacoby. Get ammunition to be able to trade up in next year's draft if you like a QB and need to trade up.

I distinctly prefer those ^ 3 scenarios... the following ones are ones I don't really want but are a possibility so I will rank them:

3. Get an old vet(Rivers) on short term deal if you think he will function better in our system than Jacoby as a stop gap for our QB of the future (who might be drafted now or in future drafts - the draft portions of the previous scenarios still apply). Try to ship Brissett for anything anyone would be willing to give us. 

4. Get a young-ish vet(Carr, Bridgewater, Dalton etc.) to be our long-term solution at QB. I hate this one the most. First - the choice is very limited, second - all of those have baggage in some way or another that's hard to break out of... some of them are not a big enough improvement over Brissett to justify the price we have to give in both draft compensation and in salary. They are all of the type of QBs that I worry about the most - the type that you have to pay big money to for mediocre/average play. This gives you very little margin for error in the rest of the roster. Elite QBs give you a margin of error by being able to disproportionately influence winning(compared to other positions), cheap/rookie contract QBs even if average give you a margin of error by allowing you to spend the money franchise QBs usually require, in other areas of the team and enforce the roster. An expensive average QB(what Carr is) gives you no margin of error. 

• Like 1

Yes, draft a QB and if he's ready to go, awesome. That should be everyone's #1 ideal, but it's no sure shot.

But beyond that, improving the roster for Jacoby isn't exactly moving on from him. If we're all in agreement that soon one way or the other he's out of the picture, then some of this is semantics, but I don't understand the apprehension of simply getting a vet FA who's better- if JB is ultimately out of the picture. 

This insistence that more but not too much more JB makes the most sense, I don't get it and I'm trying to see this from the other side of the coin. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

This is why I don't get everyone being so down on bringing in a vet on the short term. JB is bad (not very good?) and I don't see him fundamentally becoming something he's not (efficient and accurate), agreed there, and I don't really want to waste another year, which is what I strongly feel is going to happen if this course isn't changed.

I guess my take is if we bring in a vet we really aren't going anywhere either.  We will still be a mediocre - or a little above - team with an aging QB that will need to be replaced soon.  I just don't see the advantage to the team to spend that money on a QB to fill the gap.

I would rather focus on finding the next real QB for this team.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Well at some point this isn't going to be hypothetical, Ballard is either all in with JB next year or he's not. I also don't see anyone being too costly- it might be money or resources misplaced if said player is no good or doesn't work, but it's not like the team can't afford to make moves.

I didn't say you're okay with a wasted season exactly, but if we're going to stand pat and deal with the position later, and let JB play out next year (as if that's not wrought with it's own issues beyond his middling play)- it is going to yield a result and I think that result will be better with for example Phil Rivers than JB. Nothing that's been said makes me think otherwise on that front. For every indictment people have come up with on Phil, the ones I have on JB are that much bigger and ignoring it will be a mistake, imo.

I think JB remains on the roster and has a shot at the starting job in 2020, and if I had to bet on it today, I'd say he's the Week 1 starter. So there's that. But that's about as "all in" as they're getting with him. He's under contract, specifically a two year deal so they could secure the spot and evaluate him, and they're clearly not sold on him as the long term starter at this point, but they're not exactly pulling the plug either. I think that's a reasonable place to be.

To the bolded, I disagree strongly. Let's say you want Derek Carr, let's not undersell the cost in draft picks and salary. And I start with him because I think he's the best of the bunch, but he just QB'd a seven win team also.

To the second bolded, that's really the crux of our disagreement, I think. I don't believe Rivers improves the Colts enough to make it worth the move. It's not about whether Rivers is better than JB; he is. It's a question of whether Rivers makes the Colts a contender. For me, the answer is probably not, so Rivers is a non-starter.

Last bolded, my preferred approach is not ignoring the problem. It's fixing the problem in what I think is the best way, rather than panicking because we're not ready to contend in 2020. 

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't see the Love in Jordon Love (pun intended). I don't see an upgrade from Brisett. I think he's inaccurate and plays the game with no discipline

It is not an exact science, the draft. Everyone will have flaws. 

Here is an NFL.com draft profile of Deshaun Watson, his NFL comp. is Marcus Mariota. We now know where Deshaun is, when compared to Marcus Mariota (has to work through progressions, inaccurate with deep ball etc. was written about him)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/deshaun-watson?id=2558063

Patrick Mahomes, he was compared to Jay Cutler:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/patrick-mahomes?id=2558125

Both were rated rounds 1-2, high ceiling low floor prospects.

Just goes to show you that with good coaching and good work ethic, a lot of flaws can be overcome.

Josh Allen completed 56% of his passes in college for the 2 full years he started. Jordan Love has completed 61% with a career high 64% in 2018, when his best stats happened. I wouldn't get carried away with a little bad film, to be honest. 

• Like 2

Not trying to derail with another Chad Kelly thread, but can someone answer me this:

Why did the Colts make Kelly a highly paid practice squad player?

Why did the Colts not expose Kelly to waivers a 2nd time? 

my answer - they envision him being part of the QB competition next year, assuming he keeps his nose clean. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think JB remains on the roster and has a shot at the starting job in 2020, and if I had to bet on it today, I'd say he's the Week 1 starter. So there's that. But that's about as "all in" as they're getting with him. He's under contract, specifically a two year deal so they could secure the spot and evaluate him, and they're clearly not sold on him as the long term starter at this point, but they're not exactly pulling the plug either. I think that's a reasonable place to be.

To the bolded, I disagree strongly. Let's say you want Derek Carr, let's not undersell the cost in draft picks and salary. And I start with him because I think he's the best of the bunch, but he just QB'd a seven win team also.

To the second bolded, that's really the crux of our disagreement, I think. I don't believe Rivers improves the Colts enough to make it worth the move. It's not about whether Rivers is better than JB; he is. It's a question of whether Rivers makes the Colts a contender. For me, the answer is probably not, so Rivers is a non-starter.

Last bolded, my preferred approach is not ignoring the problem. It's fixing the problem in what I think is the best way, rather than panicking because we're not ready to contend in 2020. 

If they're clearly not all in on him as the long term guy, they're burning valuable time. That's my first impression of the situation. 

If Ballards design for the team is true so to speak, then getting someone at QB who can complete the pitch/catch coupled with a good run game is going to have this team A. improved and B. possibly in contention. No other position is evaluated quite like "he'd be better but we wouldn't be contenders with him".

We're rightly putting high priority on QB at least?

48 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Rivers is a statue and didn’t even make the play offs. They had a worse record then us. Why does anyone think he is going to take us to the playoffs.

I can deal with the washed up statue starting a season with a rookie sitting for a season. 

As matter fact, I think he could come close to the 288 passing yards a game in 2019,  that he averaged this season. 4th in the league, and behind a horrible O-Line, something the Colts don’t have.

And I think he can get the Colts into the playoffs in 2020, he’s strictly a better “bridge” QB than Jacoby. 

JMO

• Like 4

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

With next year's schedule, I think sub 500. 

Agree on OLs not lasting forever. If AC retires (I doubt he does), we could be in for a pretty big step back very soon.

We just went 3-3 in the division this past year, splitting with each team.  With some minor improvements and good health on our side next year, I don't see why we can't go at least 4-2 in the division or better.  

Every team in the division plays the AFC North (Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, Browns) and NFC North (Vikings, Packers, Bears, Lions).  Then each team has 1 game each vs. the AFC East and AFC West.  Since we're the 3rd seed in the AFC South, we get the 3 seeds from those divisions (we get the Jets and the Raiders).  The Texans get the Pats and the Chiefs, the Titans get the Bills and Broncos, the Jags get the Dolphins and the Chargers.  

All said and done, we have an easier schedule than the Texans and Titans (arguable, as I see Raiders being potentially better than the Broncos next year, but certainly don't see Jets being tougher than Buffalo).  

If I had to guess right now, I'd say 9-7 or 10-6 may very well win the AFC South again next year.  I think we're equal to Houston and Tennessee (this past year, even with all our injuries, we literally could have won the AFC south without the missed kicks).  

Personally, I don't think the Bengals, Lions and Bears are really any good.  We should be able to win those 4, plus against CLE,  NYJ and OAK.  If we split our division again and win those 6, we're 9-7.  I think we've got a very good shot at going >.500.

1 hour ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

My takeaway from the press conference is that  he’s almost certainly going to be looking for a QB to compete with Brissett. He’s the starter now by default but it’ll be an open competition via draft or free agency.

There is a reason the other teams are letting go of their veteran QB’s. Either the QB had a really bad year or was injured. I would rather Ballard draft a QB and have him compete with  Brissett rather than bring in a veteran QB that doesn’t have many more years left in the league. 

Some of the vet QBs teams are letting walk are because they have young guys coming up and they want to develop them and build around them (Eli Manning looked pretty good when he played while D. Jones was injured, but the G-men need D. Jones to develop while he's got Saquaon and other young talent around him... though Eli probably only has a year or so in him and he's definitely not the player he was 7 years ago).  

Anyway, I like Ballard's statement in the presser when he said it'd set the team back if we tried to force drafting a QB just to draft one.  I agree with him there.  I could be wrong, and am not an NFL scout, but after Burrows, I don't see any QB in this coming draft worth the 13th pick.  If Fromm falls to the 2nd round, I could see value in taking him there (same with Herbert, maybe Love) and letting him develop for a year under Jacoby to see if he's the future.  

My major issue with this team is we need to improve on the DL for sure and we need to improve WR and TE.  TY has been banged up the past couple years, though still plays at a high level when he's on the field.  I have high hopes for Campbell, but after that we are not very deep at WR.  I don't see any of the available QBs (draft or FA) being able to shine as passers with the talent we have at WR and TE right now.  

It'll be interesting to see what Ballard does in the draft/FA.  My thoughts are the best way to improve this team for the long term is to not reach on a QB with pick 13 (especially if one of the top WRs or DL is there) and see if a guy like Fromm or Herbert falls to round 2 (or maybe trade back in round 1 and see if those guys are around in the mid-late 20s). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

It is not an exact science, the draft. Everyone will have flaws. 

Here is an NFL.com draft profile of Deshaun Watson, his NFL comp. is Marcus Mariota. We now know where Deshaun is, when compared to Marcus Mariota (has to work through progressions, inaccurate with deep ball etc. was written about him)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/deshaun-watson?id=2558063

Patrick Mahomes, he was compared to Jay Cutler:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/patrick-mahomes?id=2558125

Both were rated rounds 1-2, high ceiling low floor prospects.

Just goes to show you that with good coaching and good work ethic, a lot of flaws can be overcome.

Josh Allen completed 56% of his passes in college for the 2 full years he started. Jordan Love has completed 61% with a career high 64% in 2018, when his best stats happened. I wouldn't get carried away with a little bad film, to be honest. 

I don't rely on others opinions. I form my own from what I gather from a person's game. Not saying I'm right, but it's what I see

For whatever it's worth:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2869444-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-team-by-team-2020-nfl-draft-insider-buzz

Indianapolis Colts — Colts fans want a quarterback to replace Jacoby Brissett, but the feeling around the league is that general manager Chris Ballard is in no rush to replace the veteran. That could change as the staff evaluates the 2020 quarterback crop, but the belief right now is a wide receiver or pass-rusher are the priorities.

26 minutes ago, MPStack said:

How’s your success rate on QB’s so far?

Let's see, I said the 2018 QB class was trash and I stand by that. Lamar Jackson Im still not convinced he can sit in the pocket and make throws. That offense caters to his running ability

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Let's see, I said the 2018 QB class was trash and I stand by that. 

How can you call them trash with only two seasons. Darnold looks like he is going to be really good. Baker hasn’t had any stability. You realize that sometimes they just go to bad organizations. Sometimes what team you get drafted by makes all the difference. 

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Let's see, I said the 2018 QB class was trash and I stand by that. Lamar Jackson Im still not convinced he can sit in the pocket and make throws. That offense caters to his running ability

I thought the 2018 class was pretty good and still is. Fair enough!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

How can you call them trash with only two seasons. Darnold looks like he is going to be really good. Baker hasn’t had any stability. You realize that sometimes they just go to bad organizations. Sometimes what team you get drafted by makes all the difference. 

Baker couldn't win more then 6 games with way better talent then half the league, Darnold sees ghosts lol, but I also think at least with bell, should have played better. Josh Allen is a game manager and Rosen can't even beat out a 14 year journeyman

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Baker couldn't win more then 6 games with way better talent then half the league, Darnold sees ghosts lol, but I also think at least with bell, should have played better. Josh Allen is a game manager and Rosen can't even beat out a 14 year journeyman

I’d be happy with J. Allen or Darnold as the Colts QB moving forward. Preferably J. Allen, he’s not close to his ceiling yet, Darnold either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

I’d be happy with J. Allen or Darnold as the Colts QB moving forward. Preferably J. Allen, he’s not close to his ceiling yet, Darnold either. 

Time will tell. They all have their flaws, but their still young in their careers

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't think we are watching the same player, or you're confusing what a game manager is...

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

I don't think we are watching the same player, or you're confusing what a game manager is...

I see a run game and a top ten defense. Yes he'll have the occasional 50+ yard play to John Brown or runs, but other then that, yea I see a team that relays on other players more

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I see a run game and a top ten defense. Yes he'll have the occasional 50+ yard play to John Brown or runs, but other then that, yea I see a team that relays on other players more

That'd be scheme not the player himself. 

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Baker had a child as a HC. Once that team gets a guy who is a adult they will be fine. Josh Allen Is improving. He will keep getting better and they need a couple more weapons.