Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard’s third quarter review

Restinpeacesweetchloe

14 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I would.

I'd draft CeeDee Lamb in the first round, re-sign Funchess, bring back TY, and coach the heck outta Campbell.

IMO, it's not do either this or that, it's both/and.

Yep it can be both. If we can go in with TY, Campbell, pascal, a draft pick and funchess I will feel really good if they stay mostly healthy. My guess is a guess QB  in the first rd.

• Like 1

I get that many folks are in love with the unknown, but Funchess has plenty of limitations to his game. There's plenty of quality big bodied possession Xs typically left in rounds 2-4. There's also some good pass catching detached TEs (which is more or less what Funch is) available too.

Given his track record with drops, most will just complain like they did with Ebron IMO. If we want to pay a lot for a limited X, or good bully slot, then OK I guess. I'd rather draft

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I get that many folks are in love with the unknown, but Funchess has plenty of limitations to his game. There's plenty of quality big bodied possession Xs typically left in rounds 2-4. There's also some good pass catching detached TEs (which is more or less what Funch is) available too.

Given his track record with drops, most will just complain like they did with Ebron IMO. If we want to pay a lot for a limited X, or good bully slot, then OK I guess. I'd rather draft

I would rather sign the veteran and draft a WR.  We can do both.

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would rather sign the veteran and draft a WR.  We can do both.

We can also use the FA money on different positions. I honestly don't care so long as they address other areas. I think it was a huge mistake not addressing DT last year (either draft or FA). 

And, if I'm going to shell out 10M for Funchess, I'd rather shell out 15M for AJ Green or a few others. If we're not bringing back Ebron though, I'm fine with keeping Funchess who is more or less Ebron-lite.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We can also use the FA money on different positions. I honestly don't care so long as they address other areas. I think it was a huge mistake not addressing DT last year (either draft or FA). 

And, if I'm going to shell out 10M for Funchess, I'd rather shell out 15M for AJ Green or a few others. If we're not bringing back Ebron though, I'm fine with keeping Funchess who is more or less Ebron-lite.

AJ Green hasn’t even played this year. Isn’t he also over 30.  I want someone that can grow along with what is about to be a young offense. WE already have one WR body breaking down we don’t need another one.

FA and the draft will be interesting that’s for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The way he talks up Funchess it makes me think they might try and resign him.  The audio is at the end of the written article.

I think it's a given they resign him.  He's young and his injury was a broken collarbone and nothing serious like an ACL.   Nothing really changes concerning his potential as a big go to receiver.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

AJ Green hasn’t even played this year. Isn’t he also over 30.  I want someone that can grow along with what is about to be a young offense. WE already have one WR body breaking down we don’t need another one.

AJ averaged twice of what Funch has per game even in his injury shortened year. 

I'll take him every day and 10 times on Sunday before Funchess.

If you want someone to grow with, it's not another one year deal with Funch. It's through the draft.

49 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

AJ averaged twice of what Funch has per game even in his injury shortened year. 

I'll take him every day and 10 times on Sunday before Funchess.

If you want someone to grow with, it's not another one year deal with Funch. It's through the draft.

I want a draft pick or a guy coming off his rookie deal to grow with this offense. Not a 31 yo WR. Maybe they give Funchess a two year deal.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I want a draft pick or a guy coming off his rookie deal to grow with this offense. Not a 31 yo WR.

So you want another one year rent-a-WR deal with a dropping and fading, limited Funchess, than a one year deal with a well rounded 7 time pro bowler who was playing lights out prior to injury.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So you want another one year rent-a-WR deal with a dropping and fading, limited Funchess, than a one year deal with a well rounded 7 time pro bowler who was playing lights out prior to injury.

That isn’t what I said. We can sign a young FA to a multi year did or sign Devin to a two year deal.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That isn’t what I said. We can sign a young FA to a multi year did or sign Devin to a two year deal.

After paying Funch 10M for 3 catches and 1 drop, I hope we have some credit built up for the next contract. 

Anyway, I'd rather have a proven super star like Green for two years than Funch for one or two. 

12 hours ago, Nate! said:

This reminds me of the don’t forget Cain posts.  Good times.

The Colt's art department spent a lot of time making recovery hype videos for Cain to only be playing for a different team a few short weeks later. lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

The Colt's art department spent a lot of time making recovery hype videos for Cain to only be playing for a different team a few short weeks later. lol

True, I was thinking the same. Makes me question the hype/messaging coming from the team. I get it that they want to keep fans interested and that sometimes the season takes an odd turn here or there, but at the same time I will be taking what they say with a grain of salt going forward.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think it's a given they resign him.  He's young and his injury was a broken collarbone and nothing serious like an ACL.   Nothing really changes concerning his potential as a big go to receiver.  

and he held onto the ball with one hand as he broke said collar bone!

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Couldn't agree more on Funchess being more like a TE than WR. Ironic given Ebron is more like  a WR than TE... 

In a league where the question is often "what have you done for more lately", I often find myself instead thinking "what have you ever done?" when it comes to the faith the Funchess would have been a huge plus on O this year. There was a reason he was on a prove it deal. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think our DT position has been fine.  Unless there's a Warren Sapp or Aaron Donald to be had, Grover and Autry have been fine..... Our backups, well.... Hunt fell back to the mean, and Lewis.....well, he's persona non grata....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He would probably prefer to play with an NFL caliber QB though.

I was kind of disappointed in the article. Lots of "we like him", "he works so hard", "Tenn is so good , i know them" kind of talk without really saying anything. Ballard seems like a good man, and probably good to work for, but I would have liked to have seen something like "we need more talented skill players on offense", "special teams need to step up" kind of stuff but maybe Ballard only says those things behind closed doors.

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Green made a business decision not to play this season.

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The way he talks up Funchess it makes me think they might try and resign him.  The audio is at the end of the written article.

IMO...it doesn't sound like Funchess will be back at all. He uses a lot of past tense in that answer. 

20 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

I was kind of disappointed in the article. Lots of "we like him", "he works so hard", "Tenn is so good , i know them" kind of talk without really saying anything. Ballard seems like a good man, and probably good to work for, but I would have liked to have seen something like "we need more talented skill players on offense", "special teams need to step up" kind of stuff but maybe Ballard only says those things behind closed doors.

IMO, he's not going to throw his players under the bus.  Most of our receiving corps who have gotten the PT this season are borderline NFL players and it would be pretty rotten to basically make that point in a public presser.  And there is no point in not saying nice things about DF.

Signing Ebron, DF, and drafting PC in the 2nd round, letting Inman walk, tells us what he thought/thinks of the receivers.  Question is, will he re sign either of them or will he reload the squad with different players. 

He's not going to rest with the guys who have been playing thus far, but he doesn't need to state the obvious in a presser, JMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

IMO...it doesn't sound like Funchess will be back at all. He uses a lot of past tense in that answer. 

Well he is done for the season so that makes sense. Just the way he said Devin fit into the locker room and did everything that was asked you could tell ballard really liked what he did. I guess we will see. I won’t be surprised either way.

27 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

Yeah...that was a pretty fluff interview overall. Ballard is very good at talking to the media...and very good at answering without really saying anything when he wants to. He controls the narrative...and sometimes he will be transparent...and other times not. 

This past quarter of the season was mostly just bad...as they went from 5-3 to 6-6...including critical losses to divisional rivals and MIA...and very likely out of the playoffs. But I don't think it's really Ballard's style to say the those types of things.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The ones that are also good cost $.

They are going to have difficulty attracting those types anyways IMO...at least at WR. The FA WR group is pretty weak this year...at least with younger WRs. Basically Cooper and Robby Anderson are all that appeals to me. I doubt Cooper would come here and Anderson is a deep play WR (which the Colts currently don't utilize). The rest are older WRs...and I don't see Ballard committing money to one of those.

Would have been great to have pried away Parker in a trade...but I am sure every team is thinking that at this point. I still think trading is the way to get a WR...in addition to drafting one (possibly two). Basically, they have Hilton...who is aging and might be breaking down. Campbell...who is still an unknown. And Pascal...who is a FA.

I say give Pascal a team-friendly two-year deal...draft one early (or two if the value is there) and look at trading for a guy...maybe an upside WR who has fallen out of favor (Dante Petts) or an established WR that is nearing the end of a current contract and will need to be paid again (Keenan Allen)...or maybe one under a big contract that a team wants to get out from (Cooks). Probably will be tough to do though...so the draft is ultimately going to be critical.

I am keeping my eye on two FA TEs in Henry and Hooper. It's very unlikely they both get to FA...but I would love to have either one...and would be willing to pay top TE money. Doyle is solid as a low-end TE1 type...but he's not dynamic...and he's aging. I think a dynamic TE1 is a missing ingredient for this offense (like Ertz was for Reich in PHI). And then I would draft one in the middle rounds to develop.

I think this upcoming draft will need to be very heavy offense...with like 4-5 picks going to that side...and most of those early.

12 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

They are going to have difficulty attracting those types anyways IMO...at least at WR. The FA WR group is pretty weak this year...at least with younger WRs. Basically Cooper and Robby Anderson are all that appeals to me. I doubt Cooper would come here and Anderson is a deep play WR (which the Colts currently don't utilize). The rest are older WRs...and I don't see Ballard committing money to one of those.

Would have been great to have pried away Parker in a trade...but I am sure every team is thinking that at this point. I still think trading is the way to get a WR...in addition to drafting one (possibly two). Basically, they have Hilton...who is aging and might be breaking down. Campbell...who is still an unknown. And Pascal...who is a FA.

I say give Pascal a team-friendly two-year deal...draft one early (or two if the value is there) and look at trading for a guy...maybe an upside WR who has fallen out of favor (Dante Petts) or an established WR that is nearing the end of a current contract and will need to be paid again (Keenan Allen)...or maybe one under a big contract that a team wants to get out from (Cooks). Probably will be tough to do though...so the draft is ultimately going to be critical.

I am keeping my eye on two FA TEs in Henry and Hooper. It's very unlikely they both get to FA...but I would love to have either one...and would be willing to pay top TE money. Doyle is solid as a low-end TE1 type...but he's not dynamic...and he's aging. I think a dynamic TE1 is a missing ingredient for this offense (like Ertz was for Reich in PHI). And then I would draft one in the middle rounds to develop.

I think this upcoming draft will need to be very heavy offense...with like 4-5 picks going to that side...and most of those early.

Good post. 

I see the WR/TE problem too, and it will take a lot of draft picks or cap money to fill all of the holes, especially when you realize that a replacement for TY will be needed soon.  That's a first round draft choice right there just to maintain the talent level we have, and we need to add to it a lot.

Hooper is the ATL TE?  I think its possible ATL blows their team up this year....will likely get a new HC....but I think Hooper is one of the fan favorites and might be a guy they want to resign. 

And don't rule out the need for a RB.  Mack is pretty good, but everybody else needs upgrading.  Hines might stick as a KR/PR, but somebody more dynamic than him in the running game should be considered.  And during Philly's SB year, I think Blount was their horse.  We don't have a pounding guy like that. 

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Good post. 

I see the WR/TE problem too, and it will take a lot of draft picks or cap money to fill all of the holes, especially when you realize that a replacement for TY will be needed soon.  That's a first round draft choice right there just to maintain the talent level we have, and we need to add to it a lot.

Hooper is the ATL TE?  I think its possible ATL blows their team up this year....will likely get a new HC....but I think Hooper is one of the fan favorites and might be a guy they want to resign. 

And don't rule out the need for a RB.  Mack is pretty good, but everybody else needs upgrading.  Hines might stick as a KR/PR, but somebody more dynamic than him in the running game should be considered.  And during Philly's SB year, I think Blount was their horse.  We don't have a pounding guy like that. 

Yeah...RB can be one of those 4-5 picks as well. Mack has durability issues...Wilkins is a depth RB (because it is clear they are not going to hand over the reins to him)...Williams is a FA (maybe they re-sign him...but who know)...and Hines is a decent gadget player (but he's not really a RB and he's not really a big play guy...even though you would think he should be). I could see the need for a complete RB that can compete for carries.

I think ATL is at somewhat of a crossroads. They certainly have talent...but can't seem to put it together. They just gave both Ryan and Julio big time money...so I don't know if they would be rebuilding necessarily...but retooling is definitely a possibility. If they can clear a good amount of cap space...Hooper will definitely be back.

But if ATL is truly thinking about blowing it up...I dream on the possibility of acquiring Calvin Ridley. I think he's a superstar with a QB that will get him the ball...great speed, great route running, great hands and a knack for the EZ. He would be a perfect WR1 to replace Hilton and to develop a young QB with (ala Marvin and Manning). I doubt it would ever happen...but teams have been more open to trading players than ever before...and he is going to get expensive after next season. 

I think Rogers will finally be gone this year with Hines doing well in the kick return game. We need to sign pascal to a 2 or 3 year deal.  When he is the focus of the offense he steps up. The only guy to have a 100 yard game this year. He had 2. If he had a better QB I bet he could get 1000 yards. Then we need to draft a WR at least by the second round. Then decide if they want to bring Funchess back or if there is someone else out there.

I saw a tweet this morning how the colts could trade that WA pick and maybe try and move up and get a WR and QB in the first rd. There might be a team willing to move down and back into the second round. If Ballard could do that and get both a WR and the QB he wants that would be genius. Although I think we will be able to get a very good WR in the second.

Chris Ballard is literally flying solo around the country to personally scout QBs, that 1st rounder is a QB. The real question is who: Jordan Love seems to be the frontrunner, could be Herbert or Tua if they fall, Eason and Hurts are solid prospects. 

You eventually learn to start paying attention to what coaches and organizations DO, and not what they SAY. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Chris Ballard is literally flying solo around the country to personally scout QBs, that 1st rounder is a QB. The real question is who: Jordan Love seems to be the frontrunner, could be Herbert or Tua if they fall, Eason and Hurts are solid prospects. 

You eventually learn to start paying attention to what coaches and organizations DO, and not what they SAY. 

just to clarify, I really live Love and Brissett, but it was reported that he was credentialed for the game at Utah state but did not attend.  So he didn't personally fly out there to scout Love

4 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

just to clarify, I really live Love and Brissett, but it was reported that he was credentialed for the game at Utah state but did not attend.  So he didn't personally fly out there to scout Love

He's been scouting Love since at least 2018, I'd be willing to bet he's seen him play in person more than once, and analyzed the film CIA-style. Regardless of whether he's been recently or not, it's a known fact that Ballard is a Jordan Love fan.