Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard’s third quarter review

Restinpeacesweetchloe

8 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

just to clarify, I really live Love and Brissett, but it was reported that he was credentialed for the game at Utah state but did not attend.  So he didn't personally fly out there to scout Love

Saw you reported that prior. Were did you see the report that he didn't show up. Just curious.

11 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Saw you reported that prior. Were did you see the report that he didn't show up. Just curious.

I heard that as well...not sure if it was officially reported. I think he ultimately went to another game that had multiple prospects. Regardless, the Colts had a strong presence there. I am not sure what the practice is around GMs going to one individual's game. They have the tape...and a lot of the final (and official) evaluation can be done in the offseason Bowl games, Combine, interviews, visits, etc. For example, when KC was scouting Mahomes, I don't think Dorsey went to any of his games.

But I am sure Ballard is very familiar with Love at this point.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I believe that I saw it earlier in this topic that Stephen Holder reported it.  But I am also quick to point out that it was discussed that Ballard has had scouts at multiple Utah State games this year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...that was a pretty fluff interview overall. Ballard is very good at talking to the media...and very good at answering without really saying anything when he wants to. He controls the narrative...and sometimes he will be transparent...and other times not. 

This past quarter of the season was mostly just bad...as they went from 5-3 to 6-6...including critical losses to divisional rivals and MIA...and very likely out of the playoffs. But I don't think it's really Ballard's style to say the those types of things.

I think Ballard has come away this season knowing JB isnt the answer. JB knew he had to earn it, and while he will finish out his contract, and maybe take some significant steps forward this off season and into next year, I just dont see JB being able to do so by the end of 2020. And I'm sure Ballard doesn't see it either. Drafting a QB this year, and letting him sit, while giving JB every chance to show hes the starter is a win win. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shastamasta said:

The FA WR group is pretty weak this year

Yeah when you look at the upcoming FA WRs  .... bleh for the most part.

I doubt Cooper would come here...

I have seen a lot of articles the past few days that look like he may really hit the market.  I think Ballard could get him here if he shows there is a plan in place for a new QB and he opens the check book.  I agree he is probably the best option if they are going to go for a high end WR in FA.

I am keeping my eye on two FA TEs in Henry and Hooper.

Yes! Would love to see them get Hooper.

Attracting any FA's will be difficult without a settled QB situation.

imo no FA would be clamoring to join a JB run offense next year thus the reason we are hearing tid bits of our GM scouting young talent at QB. I think Ballard knows it will be very difficult to recruit anyone

to Indy without a Luck or similar type QB. 

Im sure he is in under extreme pressure right now. He cant say what he really thinks and the odds of replicating anything close to what we had with Luck and Manning are not very good. He basically has to hit it out the park to appease his owner and a fan base that is slowly becoming disenchanted with the team.

With all that said, I can see his number 1 focus right

now is moving up in the draft to get his QB and all this scouting is

really a smoke screen or to basically start building their draft board.

Our next franchise QB needs to be someone we draft and not a journeyman.

1 hour ago, esmort said:

Yeah when you look at the upcoming FA WRs  .... bleh for the most part.

I have seen a lot of articles the past few days that look like he may really hit the market.  I think Ballard could get him here if he shows there is a plan in place for a new QB and he opens the check book.  I agree he is probably the best option if they are going to go for a high end WR in FA.

Yes! Would love to see them get Hooper.

Better yet would be having Luck commit to finishing his contract before FA hits. I still think it could happen.

4 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think Ballard has come away this season knowing JB isnt the answer. JB knew he had to earn it, and while he will finish out his contract, and maybe take some significant steps forward this off season and into next year, I just dont see JB being able to do so by the end of 2020. And I'm sure Ballard doesn't see it either. Drafting a QB this year, and letting him sit, while giving JB every chance to show hes the starter is a win win. 

Also if he does improve it’s a win for JB because he might earn a starting job elsewhere. Then we have our future too.

22 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I would.

I'd draft CeeDee Lamb in the first round, re-sign Funchess, bring back TY, and coach the heck outta Campbell.

IMO, it's not do either this or that, it's both/and.

What about QB? Second round or stick with JB? Personally I think we have to trade up for a QB in the first, but I’m interested in what you’re saying

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Better yet would be having Luck commit to finishing his contract before FA hits. I still think it could happen.

I really doubt Luck comes back. He seems happier now. If he did though, I’d be through the roof. It’s sad that right when he retires we have the OL to keep him healthy. Oh well, treading old ground here

4 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

I really doubt Luck comes back. He seems happier now. If he did though, I’d be through the roof. It’s sad that right when he retires we have the OL to keep him healthy. Oh well, treading old ground here

The more I think about the circumstances surrounding how it happened I am thinking the possibility could be really high. They could say we don’t need a long term commitment. We just need for you to come in and finish your contract and groom a young QB. Then he gets to go out the right way. The circumstances seemed to me he just needed a mental break and didn’t want to actually retire. But by saying he is retiring he doesn’t have to answer questions of when he will be back. He can do it on his own terms.  I bet he is really missing the game more then we think. Plus I could see him wanting his daughter to see him playing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

What about QB? Second round or stick with JB? Personally I think we have to trade up for a QB in the first, but I’m interested in what you’re saying

It depends where the colts pick at. So far JB hasn't responded to games well when everything is on the line. So we maybe finish 1-3. Giving us a 7-9 record then we will be picking 12-16 range which there should be a few good QBs available. 

10 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

I think that, at or about pick 17, the premier QB's will be gone. (Joe Burrow LSU and Justin Herbert Oregon).  Tua may fall that far (if he doesn't return to Alabama).  And if he does fall, it's for a reason.  And that reason is something that I wouldn't want to deal with.  I don't fully believe in Jalen Hurts, and there's too much risk with Jake Fromm.  Jordan Love?  That projection could be anywhere from the bottom of the 1st round to the somewhere in the 3rd.  Just anywhere.

I personally think we should draft a QB in 2020.  No, we should not trade the farm to get into the top 5 picks.  It should be the best QB that we evaluated, that can be gotten with one of our two picks in the 2nd round.  If that's Jordan Love, fine.  If that's Jalen Hurts, fine.  Or Jacob Eason.  Whatever.  Whoever rated best in your evaluation.  Brissett should start in 2020, with this guy learning to play at this level as fast as he can.

(Personally, I'm thinking WR CeeDee Lamb at 1, DT Marvin Wilson at 2a, Jordan Love at 2b, and OT Calvin Throckmorton at 3.  But we'll see how it goes.)

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The more I think about the circumstances surrounding how it happened I am thinking the possibility could be really high. They could say we don’t need a long term commitment. We just need for you to come in and finish your contract and groom a young QB. Then he gets to go out the right way. The circumstances seemed to me he just needed a mental break and didn’t want to actually retire. But by saying he is retiring he doesn’t have to answer questions of when he will be back. He can do it on his own terms.  I bet he is really missing the game more then we think. Plus I could see him wanting his daughter to see him playing.

I agree, he needed a mental break. Maybe he’ll come back, maybe not. Only he knows the answer to that. I hope he comes back, but if not I wish him the best

10 minutes ago, MPStack said:

That’s just terrible logic in drafting for a serious need being QB. 

You're absolutely right.

Thing is, I don't judge our need at QB being "serious".

Yes, JB is not going to take you to the SB.  But he's also not Josh Rosen.  He's not Trubisky (at least in my opinion).  He's serviceable.  That's about it.  You can win games with him, but you better have good players around him, because he won't be the reason why you won.  But he also won't be the reason why you lost.  He's not a disaster.  He's just not "great".  He won't take you to a SB.  So, if you don't intend to sell the farm to get into the top 5 picks (and I doubt CB would ever do that), then you have to find this year's Russell Wilson.  The third round pick that's actually pretty darn good.  It's possible.

I think that's why CB has been visiting Jordan Love.  Small school QB that had a great year last year, a lesser year statistically this year.  Just enough to say "sure" in the 2nd round, but "naaaa" in the first round.  I'm ok with that.

13 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

You're absolutely right.

Yes, JB is not going to take you to the SB.  But he's also not Josh Rosen.  He's not Trubisky (at least in my opinion).  He's serviceable.  That's about it.  You can win games with him, but you better have good players around him, because he won't be the reason why you won.  But he also won't be the reason why you lost.  He's not a disaster.  He's just not "great".  He won't take you to a SB.  So, if you don't intend to sell the farm to get into the top 5 picks (and I doubt CB would ever do that), then you have to find this year's Russell Wilson.  The third round pick that's actually pretty darn good.  It's possible.

I think that's why CB has been visiting Jordan Love.  Small school QB that had a great year last year, a lesser year statistically this year.  Just enough to say "sure" in the 2nd round, but "naaaa" in the first round.  I'm ok with that.

If ballard thinks Love is the franchise QB he will not risk waiting until the second round. If that is the guy they have labeled as the guy they will take him in the first.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I believe that I saw it earlier in this topic that Stephen Holder reported it.  But I am also quick to point out that it was discussed that Ballard has had scouts at multiple Utah State games this year.

Heard the same report, that the Colts have had people at 3-4 Utah State games. Against Wake Forest, LSU, Boise State, And I cant remember the other one. 

The latest 1st round mock on the Draft Network mentions the connection between Ballard and Love.

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I agree, he needed a mental break. Maybe he’ll come back, maybe not. Only he knows the answer to that. I hope he comes back, but if not I wish him the bes

I listen to GM shuffle podcast with Lombardi.  I quite like his views on the NFL.  He said the Colts have a problem.....they need a qb.  Brissett has no anticipation and as the game goes on, it becomes quite obvious. He said the big indicator is that he cannot make enuff explosive plays. 

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I listen to GM shuffle podcast with Lombardi.  I quite like his views on the NFL.  He said the Colts have a problem.....they need a qb.  Brissett has no anticipation and as the game goes on, it becomes quite obvious. He said the big indicator is that he cannot make enuff explosive plays. 

The sad thing was Sunday he made enough. He just didn’t make them when needed. Earlier in the season we would of scored three touchdowns with all the Chances we had. Injuries and skill players have hurt the red zone offense. Then the stupid penalty that made us have to go for a long field goal. Sunday he made enough plays but not when it mattered and two bad INT.

39 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Heard the same report, that the Colts have had people at 3-4 Utah State games. Against Wake Forest, LSU, Boise State, And I cant remember the other one. 

The latest 1st round mock on the Draft Network mentions the connection between Ballard and Love.

Just read the Draft Network mention of the Love and Ballard connection.  If true and he's the target then Ballard will definitely have to move up to get him.  Some other team will if he doesn't.   

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

I think that, at or about pick 17, the premier QB's will be gone. (Joe Burrow LSU and Justin Herbert Oregon).  Tua may fall that far (if he doesn't return to Alabama).  And if he does fall, it's for a reason.  And that reason is something that I wouldn't want to deal with.  I don't fully believe in Jalen Hurts, and there's too much risk with Jake Fromm.  Jordan Love?  That projection could be anywhere from the bottom of the 1st round to the somewhere in the 3rd.  Just anywhere.

I personally think we should draft a QB in 2020.  No, we should not trade the farm to get into the top 5 picks.  It should be the best QB that we evaluated, that can be gotten with one of our two picks in the 2nd round.  If that's Jordan Love, fine.  If that's Jalen Hurts, fine.  Or Jacob Eason.  Whatever.  Whoever rated best in your evaluation.  Brissett should start in 2020, with this guy learning to play at this level as fast as he can.

(Personally, I'm thinking WR CeeDee Lamb at 1, DT Marvin Wilson at 2a, Jordan Love at 2b, and OT Calvin Throckmorton at 3.  But we'll see how it goes.)

Fair enough. I’m kinda leaning toward trading up to grab Tua or Herbert (the Bengals will take Burrow, unless they Bengal it like always), but I’ll trust Ballard’s judgement. I really just don’t want to watch another season like this while a new QB learns the ropes behind JB. I’ve spent the last few years watching IU basketball/football, the Reds, the Pacers, and the Bengals all rebuild and whatnot and it’s wearing on me. I thought we were close to being done with the Colts rebuild, but I guess not. Oh well, maybe 2021 will be our year lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read the Draft Network mention of the Love and Ballard connection.  If true and he's the target then Ballard will definitely have to move up to get him.  Some other team will if he doesn't.   

I don’t know. We’ll probably finish around 15 or 16, and there aren’t too many teams seeking QBs. Plus, the big downside to Love other than his stats this season are his opponents; it’s not like he plays in the SEC or Big Ten East. I’m not totally sold on Love, but I’m of the thought that we wouldn’t have to trade up much or at all to get him.

However, it’s still very possible he grad transfers to a power 5 school to increase his draft capital. Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

You're absolutely right.

Now that you mention it, let’s just trade for Russel Wilson. I doubt the Seahawks would want much, right?

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Panthers and Chargers are the two teams you have to worry about the most

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Lamb may be gone before our first pick

21 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Now that you mention it, let’s just trade for Russel Wilson. I doubt the Seahawks would want much, right?

His thinking is flawed and delusional, with a touch of losers mentality. 

Afraid to spend to much on what most likely is a better product, by settling for 2nd or third best, so you can have other toys too. 

Imagine if KC had thought that way and not moved up for Mahomes?

I hope Ballard is not afraid to make a move like that. 

11 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Couldn't agree more on Funchess being more like a TE than WR. Ironic given Ebron is more like  a WR than TE... 

In a league where the question is often "what have you done for more lately", I often find myself instead thinking "what have you ever done?" when it comes to the faith the Funchess would have been a huge plus on O this year. There was a reason he was on a prove it deal. 

I look at both Funch and Ebron as tweeners, or simply the old term "detached tight ends". Both 6-4, and only separated by 10-25lbs depending on their last meals. IMO, had Funch stayed at TE in college and maybe added 15lbs of muscle, he would have had a better NFL career.

And Ebron, he'll never be a great blocker so IMO should cut the gut and lose 15-20 and extend his career while improving his speed. And their catching styles are similar too. Both do well with balls outside of their cores, and struggle with body drops.

I do think Funch will do very well coming out of the slot, but that's really almost identical to where a TE would line up, and mostly the same routes. As an X, he's really limited to possession type routes. It really showed through his career in Carolina as he was displaced as the #1 by a rook a few years later. And I don't buy all the "we tried to sign him long term" stuff. Sure, we may have floated a team friendly 3 year deal, but that doesn't equate to a 3 year top 15 kind of guy/WR.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I think our DT position has been fine.  Unless there's a Warren Sapp or Aaron Donald to be had, Grover and Autry have been fine..... Our backups, well.... Hunt fell back to the mean, and Lewis.....well, he's persona non grata....

I think we need one of three "types" along the DL. We either need a big DT that can attract double teams, a passing rushing threat at DT, again that will attract double teams, or another top end DE. I'd prefer a DT because I think the addition will allow our DEs more open paths to the QB. While our DL is doing OK, we're not really good either. One more guy attracting a lot of attention can raise the total level of play exponentially. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Panthers and Chargers are the two teams you have to worry about the most

I wonder wonder what the chargers think of  Tyrod Taylor. They might already have their guy. Don’t underestimate a team like the patriots trying to move up for a QB. I can’t think off the top of my head if their are any good teams who are in need and want to move up. Tampa is another team who might need a QB.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wonder wonder what the chargers think of  Tyrod Taylor. They might already have their guy. Don’t underestimate a team like the patriots trying to move up for a QB. I can’t think off the top of my head if their are any good teams who are in need and want to move up. Tampa is another team who might need a QB.

I'd bet LAC takes Herbert. Taylor will not be their starter unless they are truly trying for a tank year. 

NE has publicly been high on Stidham. Maybe it's coach speak, maybe not. IMO they are more likely to take a late 1st or second QB than go all in and mortgage their future for an early QB. They need TE, WR, OL, and S. And I don't see Brady retiring, and I don't think he'd knee jerk retire either. I wouldn't be surprised if he's agreed to give BB and Kraft a two year's notice.