Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly Still on 53 Man Roster

Dasteez

24 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm not so sure of that anymore.  He hasn't improved this season and he is not a rookie.  I don't think he will improve at reading the field or anticipating blitzes.   He is what he is.   Pretty average which is better than bad.  Taking care of the football is the positive, but that is directly related to not being willing to throw the ball down the field.  

People won't see what they can't see … until they learn they can.

5 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

People won't see what they can't see … until they learn they can.

I agree with that.

At some point, you have to accept that perhaps they are not capable of learning.   I think Brissett plays exactly as he did in the first couple games.  There has been no noticeable improvement.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

With the Tua injury not sure anyone would be available for the Colts

i doubt it will change that much, there could be 4-5 first round qbs this year

we might also end up missing playoffs and being in the top half of the draft too

8 hours ago, Myles said:

I agree with that.

At some point, you have to accept that perhaps they are not capable of learning.   I think Brissett plays exactly as he did in the first couple games.  There has been no noticeable improvement.  

Punctuated equilibrium. You seldom make consistent incremental progress, but go long periods of the same punctuated by a breakthrough that takes you to the next level.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Reich said today that Kelly will stay on the  53 the rest of the year unless they need his spot.  

Hmmm. Was he asked about it, or just offered it up. 

It's nothing firm, but gives the CK fan club more hope that they see Swag-a-docious perhaps later this year. 

1ogfuw.gif

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Hmmm. Was he asked about it, or just offered it up. 

It's nothing firm, but gives the CK fan club more hope that they see Swag-a-docious perhaps later this year. 

1ogfuw.gif

Someone asked him the question. He just mentioned how he has worked hard ect. They could be looking at him as the backup next year with the way Hoyer played and don’t want to lose him.  I think he might actually be a good backup next year. 

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Someone asked him the question. He just mentioned how he has worked hard ect. They could be looking at him as the backup next year with the way Hoyer played and don’t want to lose him.  I think he might actually be a good backup next year. 

I think JB might be a good back up next year.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

This is the best way to sound off, hopefully Irsay and his staff are listening to the fans... We definitely need a new QB....Titans game is not a gimme, new QB doing well for TN and I believe the Titans will win this one despite the home field advantage...

When it comes to deciding who plays QB, I sure hope Irsay is listening to Ballard and Reich, and not the fans. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ojsglove said:

I am neither a CK nor a JB fan boy, i'm a Colts fan boy. I'm for putting the best team on the field that gives us the best chance to win.  Let's just stop with this stupid bickering???

I think everyone is a Colts fan thats on the board

I AGREE with you that the constant bickering is immature and unnecessary, ESPECIALLY from people that SHOULD have such a shared passion

However..... an opinion board with only ONE opinion MIGHT be a bit boring........

Myself.....  I was HOPING after some glimmers of hope from JB, that he MIGHT have been good enough to be the starter.  That view isnt completely dead........ BUT...... it is starting to tarnish

I would like to see if CK has anything going for him against starters

To me, if he fails, he fails,  Its a less than 25% chance that he has what it takes

However......  If we go into next years draft, not knowing and "checking off" that he is or isnt, we will almost HAVE to use our first round pick on a QB

If we are out of the playoffs (if we lose the next 2)......  I would trot out CK......

Go Colts

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Punctuated equilibrium. You seldom make consistent incremental progress, but go long periods of the same punctuated by a breakthrough that takes you to the next level.

So we should be waiting for that breakthrough?   

We rarely see an NFL QB change after 4 years in the league.   I guess it can happen, but usually by this time the QB is what he will be.  

On 11/26/2019 at 9:01 AM, coltsva said:

Ballard and Reich are pretty smart guys. I don’t see either of them being satisfied with an average QB. They know what they have in Brissettt, Hoyer and Kelly, and they’ll make the right call. 

The Brissett contract reinforced that JB is the guy for this year, but doesn’t  lock the Colts into him long term. 

The Kelly contract was generous enough to get him through waivers. Not sure what Practice squad QB’s generally make, but can’t imagine Walkers contract was anywhere close to Kelly’s. The Hoyer contract was...okay, I admit it, I’m stumped.

I dont understand the confusion when it comes to Hoyer.  His play the 2nd game was horrendous, but he played well enough to win against Pittsburgh.

Everyone seems to forget where we were when Hoyer was brought in.  There werent any good QBs available at the start of the season...... literally.

Hoyer was brought in for stability.  He wouldnt have been in NE that long if he was a bum.  He was familiar with JB as well and i’m sure has helped him immensely.

He wasnt brought in as a starter.  Ballard had to move fast and i still think it was the right move at the time.

Hoyer was never the answer, rather he brings stability and experience to the QB room.

And i’m sorry guys, i am just not ready to pin my hopes on a guy with some good pre-season snaps against guys who arent currently in the NFL.  I’m just not.  Re-evaluate in the offseason, but he’s obviously not ready. 

15 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I dont understand the confusion when it comes to Hoyer.  His play the 2nd game was horrendous, but he played well enough to win against Pittsburgh.

Everyone seems to forget where we were when Hoyer was brought in.  There werent any good QBs available at the start of the season...... literally.

Hoyer was brought in for stability.  He wouldnt have been in NE that long if he was a bum.  He was familiar with JB as well and i’m sure has helped him immensely.

He wasnt brought in as a starter.  Ballard had to move fast and i still think it was the right move at the time.

Hoyer was never the answer, rather he brings stability and experience to the QB room.

And i’m sorry guys, i am just not ready to pin my hopes on a guy with some good pre-season snaps against guys who arent currently in the NFL.  I’m just not.  Re-evaluate in the offseason, but he’s obviously not ready. 

Don't forget he did earn the backup job in Denver before his issues out there and was released.  He earned it on the talent he showed at the time.  There are only 32 backups in the league and JB was ours.  Many backups do eventually become starters.  The Colts like him or they wouldn't have given him the nice PS contract.  Ballard took a gamble on him and it looks like it has payed off for him so far.  That's a good thing for the team.  Time will tell if his story continues with the Colts.   

35 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Don't forget he did earn the backup job in Denver before his issues out there and was released.  He earned it on the talent he showed at the time.  There are only 32 backups in the league and JB was ours.  Many backups do eventually become starters.  The Colts like him or they wouldn't have given him the nice PS contract.  Ballard took a gamble on him and it looks like it has payed off for him so far.  That's a good thing for the team.  Time will tell if his story continues with the Colts.   

Agreed.  Nothing has pointed to STARTING QB yet though.

I really liked the little i saw.  But i also remember some crappy players looking like HOFers in preseason around here.  Some still talk about them.

Williams has not played all year until the last two games. He was even inactive and I believe on the practice squad. Point being once he was allowed to play he has back to back 100 yard games and appears to be pretty good. The fact that CK is not being put in the game does not mean that he will not perform well. It is just difficult to break through the glass in the NFL although I am not sure why. 

On 11/28/2019 at 12:50 PM, aaron11 said:

im not sure keeping him on the roster is a sign he will play this year, they just may not want to risk waiving him again 

Agreed. Don’t think him being the 3rd string QB is a sign he’s playing this year. I would like to see him play in a few games if we were out of contention, but even then I bet we would roll with Jacoby. 

52 minutes ago, Dasteez said:

Agreed. Don’t think him being the 3rd string QB is a sign he’s playing this year. I would like to see him play in a few games if we were out of contention, but even then I bet we would roll with Jacoby. 

Agree on JB getting the start regardless. 

45 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I have a feeling if we become mathematically ineligible for the playoffs he may get a start.

I think we'd see him either in "packages" or games with big leads (by either teams).

On 11/26/2019 at 9:53 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I HAVE to think there is more to the CK story than we know

CK has been a Wienie for awhile........   

Maybe he is such a Wienie that you wouldnt put the trust in him to be the face of the organization. At QB, you HAVE to have a leader.

On the surface, he seems like candidate to replace JB.

Its been reported that he is keeping his nose clean, while at the Colts, and showing up early for practice.

Maybe the coaches just wanted some more time with the kid, to see if he is safe to

"drive the car"

Ultimately I trust CB and FR.  They have earned that with me

I hope, somehow, BEFORE we try to draft a early QB, that we take a longer look at CK

Yeah, if Kelly can play at a level higher than Brissett (very likely), then we can target some key positions in the draft with our highest picks other than QB. Barring injuries we can contend again right next year...probable division win and playoffs and perhaps a playoff W.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:52 AM, WoolMagnet said:

So he was brought in to bring stability and experience, and paid $12 mil??  Sorry, I can't see where he has helped JB at all.  What a deal??

On 11/28/2019 at 1:22 AM, ojsglove said:

I am neither a CK nor a JB fan boy, i'm a Colts fan boy. I'm for putting the best team on the field that gives us the best chance to win.  Let's just stop with this stupid bickering???

I agree, and im 100% sure Kelley is better than Brissett by far. I really hope he gets a shor here in Indy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indy_Mike said:

After seeing what Blough did yesterday....we'd be really foolish not to give Kelly some playing time this season. I won't be surprised to see Houston beat the Patriots, I think the Colts probably have to win out to win the division...right now I see them losing 3 of the last 5!

Careful now, you might be accused of thinking you are smarter than our current F.O.  :woah:

3 hours ago, ojsglove said:

So he was brought in to bring stability and experience, and paid $12 mil??  Sorry, I can't see where he has helped JB at all.  What a deal??

I think they expected what they got in Pitt game, not the next.  

1. Nobody better Available at crazy time. (imo, and obviously Ballard’s)

2. Needed a vet presence (imo & B’s)

3. I doubt they thought he’d see the field  realistically.

I think he was a short-term patch when suddenly our backup was our starter and we had unknowns besides our now starter.  If we cut Hoyer after this year, which is possible, it wont hurt us.

So  I dont see the big miss or bust in Hoyer.  This year was messed up when Luck retired.  Whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

However, i still think the future can be bright.  I just think some changes are necessary.  I think we all know where. 

The playoff is a far reach, start thinking of rooting for a QB in the draft, JB is not the answer with his little dinkers, unable to read the field, no wide angle view.  Nice guy remember finishes last. The other teams are getting more competitive and we are regressing, not so much with the injuries but the miserable play calling and the QB's inability to heave it out there for the big plays....

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I think they expected what they got in Pitt game, not the next.  

1. Nobody better Available at crazy time. (imo, and obviously Ballard’s)

2. Needed a vet presence (imo & B’s)

3. I doubt they thought he’d see the field  realistically.

I think he was a short-term patch when suddenly our backup was our starter and we had unknowns besides our now starter.  If we cut Hoyer after this year, which is possible, it wont hurt us.

So  I dont see the big miss or bust in Hoyer.  This year was messed up when Luck retired.  Whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

However, i still think the future can be bright.  I just think some changes are necessary.  I think we all know where. 

I would be willing to bet Hoyer is gone after this year. His cap hit "balloons" to $5M next year...and his base + a roster bonus become gtd in early March. They will save $3M by cutting him. It's never great to waste a couple million in cap space...but all GMs do it.

I think they were likely hedging with that contract...to see where they were at by the start of next offseason. 

The way I see it...the Colts (prematurely IMO) gave JB ~$30M in new money just a few months ago to be the starting QB. So I can't imagine they will bench JB (and essentially admit some level of failure)...to see what Chad Kelly can do. Not to mention the shot his confidence would take...if they are still even somewhat committed to him long-term.

That might happen next year if the season goes awry (more likely it would be for a rookie than Kelly though)...but it won't happen this year. I think they are going to use these final games to continue to "evaluate" JB, regardless of what happens.

I also think we will start to see some articles in the media that paint JB in a positive light about his "first" year as the starting QB...as the Colts control the narrative of how he should be evaluated.

I could be wrong of course about Kelly playing...it just seems incredibly unlikely. If it were to happen...I think it would be spun as him being shut down due to injury (likely a setback with the knee)...not because of performance.

As for next year, JB carries a $12.5M dead cap hit...so he's not going anywhere...unless some team is willing to fork over a crazy draft haul...that would cause Ballard to eat that cap hit.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I would be willing to bet Hoyer is gone after this year. His cap hit "balloons" to $5M next year...and his base + a roster bonus become gtd in early March. They will save $3M by cutting him. It's never great to waste a couple million in cap space...but all GMs do it.

I think they were likely hedging with that contract...to see where they were at by the start of next offseason. 

We spent a little more on him for a year basically.

This offseason should be interesting.

At several positions.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

The way I see it...the Colts (prematurely IMO) gave JB ~$30M in new money just a few months ago to be the starting QB. So I can't imagine they will bench JB (and essentially admit some level of failure)...to see what Chad Kelly can do. Not to mention the shot his confidence would take...if they are still even somewhat committed to him long-term.

That might happen next year if the season goes awry (more likely it would be for a rookie than Kelly though)...but it won't happen this year. I think they are going to use these final games to continue to "evaluate" JB, regardless of what happens.

I also think we will start to see some articles in the media that paint JB in a positive light about his "first" year as the starting QB...as the Colts control the narrative of how he should be evaluated.

I could be wrong of course about Kelly playing...it just seems incredibly unlikely. If it were to happen...I think it would be spun as him being shut down due to injury (likely a setback with the knee)...not because of performance.

As for next year, JB carries a $12.5M dead cap hit...so he's not going anywhere...unless some team is willing to fork over a crazy draft haul...that would cause Ballard to eat that cap hit.

I kinda look at the JB extension and the Hoyer 2 year (1 year?) deals as the best moves to make AT THE TIME to try to get SOME level of consistency and add some experience to the QB position.

The JB and Hoyer contracts may seem a lil high, but are they really?  They certainly dont hurt us short or long term.

And we STILL have the best cap position in league i think.

It basically gave JB achance to prove himself this year.  We have a vet presence and a developmental guy.  
  After this season,  we have the draft capital AND cap space to certainly land a “good” QB if we want, or we have JB or even Kelly options.  

Or maybe Luck even shows up at camp....... THAT would be LESS of a surprise to me than the retirement was.  Haha

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

CK only plays imo if JB gets hurt and we are out of the playoff hunt. Which seems likely that both could happen now with JB's knee and not wanting him to get anymore hurt when there is nothing else to play for. It needed to be a perfect storm so to speak and it seems it might just be forming.  Im hoping coach lets CK audition for #2 QB for a couple games this year while also letting JB know that his job is safe this year and its his to loose next year.  Draft a late round QB and dump Hoyer at the end of the year.  Thats my wish list anyway .