Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly Still on 53 Man Roster

Dasteez

Anyone else notice this? At the beginning of the season, he was waived to make room elsewhere and ended up making it back on the PS.

Not sure if it’s Jacobys knee and the uncertainty of a potential re injury, the fact that we have space on the active roster due to injuries / depth, or there is a thought that if he was waived he may not make it back to the PS - which would imply that he is a piece the Colts don’t want to lose considering our current and future QB situation. 

I’m not saying that Kelly is the next QB1 nor am I saying his presence on 53 man roster is implying that down the road. Just an interesting note on the roster management decisions being made by our front office and the insights that can be garnered from them. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dasteez said:

Anyone else notice this? At the beginning of the season, he was waived to make room elsewhere and ended up making it back on the PS.

Not sure if it’s Jacobys knee and the uncertainty of a potential re injury, the fact that we have space on the active roster due to injuries / depth, or there is a thought that if he was waived he may not make it back to the PS - which would imply that he is a piece the Colts don’t want to lose considering our current and future QB situation. 

I’m not saying that Kelly is the next QB1 nor am I saying his presence on 53 man roster is implying that down the road. Just an interesting note on the roster management decisions being made by our front office and the insights that can be garnered from them. 

I think it implies that JB is obviously our starter, and then Kelley is the backup. Obviously you don’t want Brian Hoyer vomiting the football all over the field again, so you keep him for a good veteran presence and Kelley as an actual backup. That’s my theory

12 minutes ago, FRW said:

He couldn't be much worse an option at QB2 than Hoyer. He could probably easily throw 4 interceptions in two games and for far less money.

I’d throw 4 INTs in one game for half the price of either of them

• Like 1

I could see this being Hoyer’s last year.  I dont think we lose much by cutting him after the season.  In that case Kelly could be in future plans as backup (or more in time).  
  My gut tells me they think a team (especially a struggling team out of the race) would bring him in for development.

Im thinking the team likes what they see, but need more data.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I could see this being Hoyer’s last year.  I dont think we lose much by cutting him after the season.  In that case Kelly could be in future plans as backup (or more in time).  
  My gut tells me they think a team (especially a struggling team out of the race) would bring him in for development.

Im thinking the team likes what they see, but need more data.

I would probably agree with this. But, there is a saying in archery that applies both to Brissett and Kelly - "Over-caution spilleth the milk". In effort to help Brissett succeed, I think the coaches have been "too cautious". Maybe, the same could be said with Kelly. Lack of confidence (internally or externally) can ruin a player. Don't let the perfect be at the expense of the very good.

• Like 1

during the preseason Kelly showed he has an arm, he is allusive and runs like a rabbit and can read defenses. JB runs like a plow horse and is hard to tackle. Has an arm but can't use it. I can't read a defense but I'm not in the NFL, but he is. JB is alot like Jeff George was. Great arm, decent accuracy but was never taught or tried to learn the art of knowing who will be open or when to deliver the ball. Bert Jones once said" when I came into the league, I was a pumpkin. Coach Marchibroda made me into a Jack o Lantern". I believe Jim Harbaugh benefited from Marchibroda's teaching. We do not have a Marchibroda at this time. Maybe Riech will prove to be a QB wisperer?

2 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I would probably agree with this. But, there is a saying in archery that applies both to Brissett and Kelly - "Over-caution spilleth the milk". In effort to help Brissett succeed, I think the coaches have been "too cautious". Maybe, the same could be said with Kelly. Lack of confidence (internally or externally) can ruin a player. Don't let the perfect be at the expense of the very good.

What confuses me is our offense can be conservative but then out of nowhere we go for a 4th at midfield.  

Are we conservative?  Are we not?  Does it even matter?

After the Pitts/Miami games I would just as soon see CK as the backup. It's obvious Hoyer isn't going to win you any games if he can't beat those two teams. So if JB can't play bring in the kid and see what he can do with the starters. If he shows anything he gets to stay. If not we move on. Win/win.

• Like 8

It'll be interesting to see if they move him back down or keep him on the 53. If they keep him when Funch comes back, that would lead me to believe he might get a look if we fall out of the playoff race. Even if we remain in the playoff race, I'd rather see him than Hoyer if JB was hobbled. 

Given Ballard traveled to watch Love last night, safe to say JB isn't the lock a lot of folks think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It'll be interesting to see if they move him back down or keep him on the 53. If they keep him when Funch comes back, that would lead me to believe he might get a look if we fall out of the playoff race. Even if we remain in the playoff race, I'd rather see him than Hoyer if JB was hobbled. 

Given Ballard traveled to watch Love last night, safe to say JB isn't the lock a lot of folks think. 

Most think Kelly is the better talent compared to JB, so if it becomes clear that JB isn't the answer by years end than why not play Kelly starting next year if you are Ballard and Reich? That would save us a draft pick, picking a QB. Kelly knows our system too and has been around Luck and JB.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most think Kelly is the better talent compared to JB, so if it becomes clear that JB isn't the answer by years end than why not play Kelly starting next year if you are Ballard and Reich? That would save us a draft pick, picking a QB. Kelly knows our system too and has been around Luck and JB.

Kelly has a higher ceiling, but lower floor. The lower floor is all about his maturity/behavior/substance issues. Only CB and FR know if he's truly over all the behavioral issues. And honestly you never really "know". Only time tells. 

That said, even if he is a model citizen from here till the draft, not sure you still don't take a QB in the early second if available. The only two I'd take that might be available in the second are Tua and Love who I see with high ceiling natural skill. I'm not interested in JF, JH, or Eason.

Personally, I love a redemption story, and would love to see a guy like Kelly make peace with his past and embrace sobriety and success. One has to believe that Reich is giving him extra support for his buddy. Jim might end up owing him a bunch in a few years. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

I’d rather see him then Hoyer.  I just hope they give him a chance. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Kelly has a higher ceiling, but lower floor. The lower floor is all about his maturity/behavior/substance issues. Only CB and FR know if he's truly over all the behavioral issues. And honestly you never really "know". Only time tells. 

That said, even if he is a model citizen from here till the draft, not sure you still don't take a QB in the early second if available. The only two I'd take that might be available in the second are Tua and Love who I see with high ceiling natural skill. I'm not interested in JF, JH, or Eason.

Personally, I love a redemption story, and would love to see a guy like Kelly make peace with his past and embrace sobriety and success. One has to believe that Reich is giving him extra support for his buddy. Jim might end up owing him a bunch in a few years. 

Its already clear.

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Right now we don’t need his roster spot. If Funchess comes back we will. 

This is probably the main reason.

I'm guessing Cambell will be back before or at least when Funchess returns. That would make Marcus Johnson dispensable. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

No that leads me to believe they may be thinking of him as a possible backup next year. They aren’t pulling the plug on Jacoby when you need all 16 games to evaluate him. Especially if we get all our WR back.

34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It would but I see them keeping Johnson. That gives us 6 like we had to start the season. 

Hilton 

Funchess

Campbell

Pasqual

Rodgers

Johnson

Dublin .. maybe he stays just for ST ? 

My opinion is Johnson would go back to PS

13 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Hilton 

Funchess

Campbell

Pasqual

Rodgers

Johnson

Dublin .. maybe he stays just for ST ? 

My opinion is Johnson would go back to PS

Ha Ha your right. I wonder if they would cut Dulin. He has been great on ST but that’s all he is doing. Maybe we cut a guy like Milligan and keep all 7. Will be interesting to see. We also have that Coley guy. I would like to keep Johnson over someone on ST.

7 minutes ago, Horseshoelife19 said:

I’ve said all along give Kelly some playing time and see what you have!!!! Hoyer should have been cut already!!!!!!

That isn’t going to happen when we are in the playoff hunt. My guess this goes to the very last game against the jags. Could they throw him out there in the last game If  it was meaningless I guess they could. It just all depends on how they actually perceive him. Do they think he can be a backup next year or do they plan on cutting ties with him. If we draft a QB next year we won’t need Kelly as a backup. 

Another scenario is maybe he gets playing time in the last game because the colts maybe have wrapped up a playoff spot or blow the jags out. I could see them giving him time in those sceneries also.

2 hours ago, AlanNC said:

I would cut Hoyer and keep Kelly.  Hoyer is awful and Chad has more upside.

Kelly has never thrown a pass in the NFL.  impossible to know if he has more upside.   Although,   it would be tough to be worse than Hoyers last outing. 

• Like 1

What I find incredible is the steelers play a division 3 guy(Devlin Hodges from Samford) and he has won them 3 games this year Including todays where he had a nice 37 yard downfield completion to Deon Cain(remember him). And yet there are many people on here who think Chad Kelly does not deserve a shot to qb one of the most anemic passing attacks in the league this year. Huh? I'm not sure how the coaching staff can justify not playing Kelly at this point. But I'm just a fan with an opinion.

50 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

What I find incredible is the steelers play a division 3 guy(Devlin Hodges from Samford) and he has won them 3 games this year Including todays where he had a nice 37 yard downfield completion to Deon Cain(remember him). And yet there are many people on here who think Chad Kelly does not deserve a shot to qb one of the most anemic passing attacks in the league this year. Huh? I'm not sure how the coaching staff can justify not playing Kelly at this point. But I'm just a fan with an opinion.

Don't Q the triggered "he's never done anything in the NFL" crowd.

They still are still happy with sub 50 QBRs and thrilled not to see 200 yards a game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The way Love moves around the pocket, eyes constantly downfield, I really hope it happens.

OT for this thread, but let's say the Colts first round pick is up and Tua is still on the board.  Yes or no? 

I am concerned that his injury is compared to Bo Jackson's

It is said no one has effectively come back from that injury...

Medical treatment has come very far since then, I would still be concerned over the track record of such injuries. 

We have a very good roster, we don't need  QB talent years away from fruition.

Who is the candidate to come in here in his rookie year  and make a difference ???

This roster may not be able to wait  3-5 years to develop a QB, the  franchise may not be able to sustain until  then...

My Humble Opinion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Two_pound said:

It's pretty easy.  As long as the Colts are in the playoff hunt (they had the division lead less than a week ago), they will start Brissett rather than take a chance on a QB who has never played an NFL game.   At this point, I would rather see Kelly than Hoyer though.   

I'm afraid Hoyer may be here for a couple years.  They guaranteed $9 million of his $12 million contract and Ballard is a pretty financially responsible guy.  

19 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

What confuses me is our offense can be conservative but then out of nowhere we go for a 4th at midfield.  

Are we conservative?  Are we not?  Does it even matter?

As one of my co-workers once said, "Let's do something even if it's wrong."

Jerry Jones wasn't very happy with Jason Garrett. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2019/11/24/dallas-cowboys-jason-garrett-jerry-jones-coaching-loss/4294396002/