Indianapolis Colts
Dasteez

Chad Kelly Still on 53 Man Roster

21 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think he is guaranteed 4 game checks anyways so probably keeping him available during that time. 

I think you are mingling that when you sign someone off another teams PS They must be left on the new roster for 3 games. 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

It's pretty easy.  As long as the Colts are in the playoff hunt (they had the division lead less than a week ago), they will start Brissett rather than take a chance on a QB who has never played an NFL game.   At this point, I would rather see Kelly than Hoyer though.   

I'm afraid Hoyer may be here for a couple years.  They guaranteed $9 million of his $12 million contract and Ballard is a pretty financially responsible guy.  

It seems there was competition for Hoyer that drove up his contract right?
 So if we cut him at final cuts next season after using his brilliant mind to help our QB's, the $3.5 million guaranteed we owe him would be defrayed by any contract he signed with another team. Which easily could be the $3.5M, especially if their is any competition for his services. Net no money lost by cutting him.
 Ballard is wisely hedged.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zibby43 said:

The way Love moves around the pocket, eyes constantly downfield, I really hope it happens.

OT for this thread, but let's say the Colts first round pick is up and Tua is still on the board.  Yes or no? 

I'm torn here. I think Love has the higher upside, and lower health risk. I do like Tua from a "person" perspective though, and there's no doubt he has skill. IMO if Love didn't lose the majority of coaching and players around him this year, he'd be easily the number 2 or 3 QB taken regardless of Tua being hurt or not. 

To answer your question, I think I'd take Love before Tua regardless of draft position/availability. Love is moving up in a lot of the mocks, while Tua dropping. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out. 

• Like 1

I would like to see my boy Kelly get some burn out there at QB, but it probably won't happen this year as long as JB is healthy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I would like to see my boy Kelly get some burn out there at QB, but it probably won't happen this year as long as JB is healthy.

If we're out of contention, I wouldn't be surprised. Nothing to lose at that point. Might as well see how he does in regular season conditions.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If we're out of contention, I wouldn't be surprised. Nothing to lose at that point. Might as well see how he does in regular season conditions.

I'd love to see him get a shot.  One thing I liked about Kelly is he had this knack for finding the endzone as well as making something out of nothing.

• Like 3

I think we would have to lose the next 2 games before Kelly is an option.  At 6-7, it would be too late.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I'd love to see him get a shot.  One thing I liked about Kelly is he had this knack for finding the endzone as well as making something out of nothing.

If we compare the only truly comparable things (JB's 2018 preseason to CK's 2019 preseason) where both are working with the 2s and 3s, CK definitely looks smoother.  To that there is no doubt. All the apologist will say preseason doesn't mean anything, but it is what coaches use for evaluation. College comparable, CK blows JB away. Not saying CK will translate, but there is nothing thus far that says he can't. And we've seen what JB can and can't do. 

• Like 6

On 11/24/2019 at 5:22 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most think Kelly is the better talent compared to JB, so if it becomes clear that JB isn't the answer by years end than why not play Kelly starting next year if you are Ballard and Reich? That would save us a draft pick, picking a QB. Kelly knows our system too and has been around Luck and JB.

Is there and echo in here?  I have been saying this for awhile now.  I will never understand why we spent  $12 mil. on Hoyer when we had a competent QB on the PS.

I think JB's injury is more serious then is being reported, and I also think that is the reason for his subpar play the last several games.  I applaud coach for sticking with J.B. but let's get real here, although slim, we still have a shot at the post season.  If J.B.'s play is costing us win's because of his injury, and I think we all know what we have with Hoyer, what do have to loose, or what other choice do we have, then giving C.K. a shot?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Myles said:

I think we would have to lose the next 2 games before Kelly is an option.  At 6-7, it would be too late.

What if Kelly performed very well and we won those games? You realize that could get Frank fired?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

What if Kelly performed very well and we won those games? You realize that could get Frank fired?

Why would get Frank fired?

I don't think anything is getting Frank fired. 

Just saying that while we are in the playoff hunt, there is a slim-to-none chance of Reich starting Kelly if JB is healthy.  

• Like 1

Ballard and Reich are pretty smart guys. I don’t see either of them being satisfied with an average QB. They know what they have in Brissettt, Hoyer and Kelly, and they’ll make the right call. 

The Brissett contract reinforced that JB is the guy for this year, but doesn’t  lock the Colts into him long term. 

The Kelly contract was generous enough to get him through waivers. Not sure what Practice squad QB’s generally make, but can’t imagine Walkers contract was anywhere close to Kelly’s. The Hoyer contract was...okay, I admit it, I’m stumped.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

If we compare the only truly comparable things (JB's 2018 preseason to CK's 2019 preseason) where both are working with the 2s and 3s, CK definitely looks smoother.  To that there is no doubt. All the apologist will say preseason doesn't mean anything, but it is what coaches use for evaluation. College comparable, CK blows JB away. Not saying CK will translate, but there is nothing thus far that says he can't. And we've seen what JB can and can't do. 

I know it isn't comparable, but look at the preseason this year.  Almost every time Brissett got in the game, we had a slow, plodding, anemic offense.  The only exception to this was the second possession in the Brown's game.  

I am almost convinced that this style of play has less to do with Reich and more to do with JB.  All of a sudden, when Chad got in there the offense opened completely up.  Did Reich say "Great, now that Chad is in I am going to start calling better plays."  This thought is crazy.  I saw a QB that is not afraid to throw it into tighter windows, used anticipation, and took shots.  Will this result in more INTs?  Probably, but as he gets more experience that number will go down.  Maybe, just maybe, we won't struggle to put up more that 150 yrds and 17pts with better qb play.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Myles said:

Lets be honest..... we could very well lose 2 of 3 next games

9-7 with our losses to other potential wild card teams will probably have us on the outside looking in

To me....IF thats the case. what do you have to lose?

Give CK a shot.

He may falter, He may do well

I would like to see it

Lets say that he does REALLY well......  (long shot, I know)

You wont have to invest on an early QB

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ojsglove said:

Is there and echo in here?  I have been saying this for awhile now.  I will never understand why we spent  $12 mil. on Hoyer when we had a competent QB on the PS.

I think JB's injury is more serious then is being reported, and I also think that is the reason for his subpar play the last several games.  I applaud coach for sticking with J.B. but let's get real here, although slim, we still have a shot at the post season.  If J.B.'s play is costing us win's because of his injury, and I think we all know what we have with Hoyer, what do have to loose, or what other choice do we have, then giving C.K. a shot?

I HAVE to think there is more to the CK story than we know

CK has been a Wienie for awhile........   

Maybe he is such a Wienie that you wouldnt put the trust in him to be the face of the organization. At QB, you HAVE to have a leader.

On the surface, he seems like candidate to replace JB.

Its been reported that he is keeping his nose clean, while at the Colts, and showing up early for practice.

Maybe the coaches just wanted some more time with the kid, to see if he is safe to

"drive the car"

Ultimately I trust CB and FR.  They have earned that with me

I hope, somehow, BEFORE we try to draft a early QB, that we take a longer look at CK

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Lets be honest..... we could very well lose 2 of 3 next games

9-7 with our losses to other potential wild card teams will probably have us on the outside looking in

To me....IF thats the case. what do you have to lose?

Give CK a shot.

He may falter, He may do well

I would like to see it

Lets say that he does REALLY well......  (long shot, I know)

You wont have to invest on an early QB

I totally agree with you.   It's just that Reich won't do it until we are eliminated.  

In kind of a sad way, I would be more excited to see Kelly start a few games than I am about us currently fighting for a playoff spot.  Brissett has zapped the excitement out of me.   I am still anxious to watch the game, but I feel it'll be a slow methodical path to a close game that we have a 50/50 shot of winning.   I don't mind defensive battles, in fact they are my favorite games to watch.  However, the Colts games are close because the offense doesn't take the bigger passing yards when they are available.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Why would get Frank fired?

I don't think anything is getting Frank fired. 

Just saying that while we are in the playoff hunt, there is a slim-to-none chance of Reich starting Kelly if JB is healthy.  

Do you recall how the Colts lost to the Miami Dolphins? Who made the decision to play a QB that couldn't perform instead of one (that admittedly hasn't had the opportunity) could have performed (at least in the scenario discussed). That's why Kelly isn't going to get the opportunity this year. Our playoff chances, as of this moment, are slim and almost none.

12 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Do you recall how the Colts lost to the Miami Dolphins? Who made the decision to play a QB that couldn't perform instead of one (that admittedly hasn't had the opportunity) could have performed (at least in the scenario discussed). That's why Kelly isn't going to get the opportunity this year. Our playoff chances, as of this moment, are slim and almost none.

I'm just saying that Reich isn't even close to being on the hot seat.   

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Our playoff chances, as of this moment, are slim and almost none.

odds makers have it at 36%, they are a little more optimistic 

i would not bet on the colts making it, but if they beat the titans and the texans lose we are right back in the hunt 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i would not bet on the colts making it, but if they beat the titans and the texans lose we are right back in the hunt 

Yep.   The Colts are in a unique spot in that they have a chance at the wildcard spot and a chance at the division winner spot.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bhougland said:

I know it isn't comparable, but look at the preseason this year.  Almost every time Brissett got in the game, we had a slow, plodding, anemic offense.  The only exception to this was the second possession in the Brown's game.  

I am almost convinced that this style of play has less to do with Reich and more to do with JB.  All of a sudden, when Chad got in there the offense opened completely up.  Did Reich say "Great, now that Chad is in I am going to start calling better plays."  This thought is crazy.  I saw a QB that is not afraid to throw it into tighter windows, used anticipation, and took shots.  Will this result in more INTs?  Probably, but as he gets more experience that number will go down.  Maybe, just maybe, we won't struggle to put up more that 150 yrds and 17pts with better qb play.

Yup, preseason games are typically vanilla play calling for all QBs. So same plays more or less, it's just who you have supporting you and who you are going against, that may different.

On 11/25/2019 at 1:38 PM, EastStreet said:

we will be out of contention when tannehill puts a big score on us

9 hours ago, aaron11 said:

we will have no chance against tannehill

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I HAVE to think there is more to the CK story than we know

CK has been a Wienie for awhile........   

Maybe he is such a Wienie that you wouldnt put the trust in him to be the face of the organization. At QB, you HAVE to have a leader.

On the surface, he seems like candidate to replace JB.

Its been reported that he is keeping his nose clean, while at the Colts, and showing up early for practice.

Maybe the coaches just wanted some more time with the kid, to see if he is safe to

"drive the car"

Ultimately I trust CB and FR.  They have earned that with me

I hope, somehow, BEFORE we try to draft a early QB, that we take a longer look at CK

i hope we dont draft a qb unless we can get the best of the draft otherwise trade for a proven talent

5 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

we will be out of contention when tannehill puts a big score on us

Tannehill absolutely has the ability to put up big numbers.

His 9.2 avg and 70+% completion rate gives me a sadz.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

i hope we dont draft a qb unless we can get the best of the draft otherwise trade for a proven talent

:wall:

• Haha 1

Teams are starting to sign players off other teams practice squads.  It's probably a good thing he is on the active roster.   Teams like Pittsburgh ,who is now going to their 3rd QB, and some of the other teams with QB issues might have been tempted to sign him off our practice squad if he was still there.  If we were to waive him now there might be more than one team willing to put in a claim.  At this point in the season I hope we keep him on the active roster and not take that risk.  

• Like 1

I think many fans are too hard on Brissett. There are weak areas in his game that are very correctable, and he could be a very good to excellent QB. Kelly has his weak areas, too, but they don't seem to be in his talent. I think his personality issues are correctable. Hoyer is probably a very nice guy. That won't cut it. The problem for the Colts is, at this point in time, both of our QBs with potential have a long way to go to achieve the success they could attain. That's going to take time and effort. No guarantees it will ever happen. I still like them better than anyone we could possibly draft.

• Like 1

I agree, I don't see a qb in this draft I would take and think he could be better than who we have right now. I think Fromm is the best qb this upcoming draft,and we will have to move up to get anyone(unless we lose out) and if we do make the playoffs we don't need to draft a qb. Just draft oline and dline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

I think many fans are too hard on Brissett. There are weak areas in his game that are very correctable, and he could be a very good to excellent QB. Kelly has his weak areas, too, but they don't seem to be in his talent. I think his personality issues are correctable. Hoyer is probably a very nice guy. That won't cut it. The problem for the Colts is, at this point in time, both of our QBs with potential have a long way to go to achieve the success they could attain. That's going to take time and effort. No guarantees it will ever happen. I still like them better than anyone we could possibly draft.

I think all the criticisms that JB has had so far is pretty well warranted. While his strength has been protecting the ball, his weakness has been yards, points and pushing it downfield. That downfield part is magnified greatly, he just hasn’t done it at all. Over time, we are going to see if cutting Cain was a Cain problem or a JB problem because for a guy who got so much positive freaking press for two preseasons and then crickets at go time, that’s one person to watch over the time. Heck, even TY looks pedestrian. If this team couldn’t run the ball, we would be pushing for the #1 pick I think. So JB has definitely earned his criticism. Does he have room to grow and correct his flaws, absolutely. The question for JB will be, is the team and the fans going to be patient enough to allow him the time he may need? He is going to have to show more growth before this season is up or he is going to be facing a job demotion or loss even imho. Below avg play is not going to sit well here with fragile fans in Indy. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I think all the criticisms that JB has had so far is pretty well warranted. While his strength has been protecting the ball, his weakness has been yards, points and pushing it downfield. That downfield part is magnified greatly, he just hasn’t done it at all. Over time, we are going to see if cutting Cain was a Cain problem or a JB problem because for a guy who got so much positive freaking press for two preseasons and then crickets at go time, that’s one person to watch over the time. Heck, even TY looks pedestrian. If this team couldn’t run the ball, we would be pushing for the #1 pick I think. So JB has definitely earned his criticism. Does he have room to grow and correct his flaws, absolutely. The question for JB will be, is the team and the fans going to be patient enough to allow him the time he may need? He is going to have to show more growth before this season is up or he is going to be facing a job demotion or loss even imho. Below avg play is not going to sit well here with fragile fans in Indy. 

Careful, you might get accused of labeling Brissett the scapegoate!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Careful, you might get accused of labeling Brissett the scapegoate!

It’s fine, I’m used to being accused of lots of things in normal life, some even warranted and appreciated lol 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

not always obvious who that is, maybe it will be love

last year the best Qb went at the end of the first

If the Colts become mathematicaly out of this year's playoffs,

then I would like to see Kelly behind center for the remainder of the season.

We don't have a franchise QB or someone who can consistently 

throw for over 300 yards per game. Ballard really needs to do 

some serious tire kicking and it needs to start very soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoachLite said:

I'm not so sure of that anymore.  He hasn't improved this season and he is not a rookie.  I don't think he will improve at reading the field or anticipating blitzes.   He is what he is.   Pretty average which is better than bad.  Taking care of the football is the positive, but that is directly related to not being willing to throw the ball down the field.  

33 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

not always obvious who that is, maybe it will be love

last year the best Qb went at the end of the first

With the Tua injury not sure anyone would be available for the Colts

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

With the Tua injury not sure anyone would be available for the Colts

Do you think that will change what is left for the Colts?   I don't know, just seriously asking.  I've heard some analysts say he will drop to the end of the 1st round and others say he will drop to the 10-15 range. 

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Do you think that will change what is left for the Colts?   I don't know, just seriously asking.  I've heard some analysts say he will drop to the end of the 1st round and others say he will drop to the 10-15 range. 

It might

It is way too early to tell