Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Down the field WR's NEEDED!!!!

Tombstone

To the title of the topic, if we would've had someone like Randy Moss, last nights game would've been a blowout by the Colts. We were up 17-10 but ran the ball it seemed like 50 times in a row! We have nobody that runs deep that is open. TY did it once and he dropped a ball he should've caught. JB can't throw deep if Reich doesn't allow the WR's to run deep. Football 101. JB can throw the ball 70 yards in the air.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Whoever we end up with at WR, Jacoby needs to work offseason with them and perfect their chemistry. 

For good or bad, I think this has always been Jacobys team even when Luck was here. They will probably ride with him and draft a good backup.

I agree. If JB wants to make that next step, he needs to work with his WR's in the off season. Peyton always did that. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes you can, but nobody knows that at the time the draft picks roll off. 

The QBs that become franchise guys later than round two is probably the result of dumb luck. 

If GMs said, "hey , I'm going to get my franchise guy in round 3 that I know will be better than my starter I have now for years to come " frankly, they wouldn't wait past pick 15 to draft that known quantity and would trade a bunch to move up to get him.

I said none of the above in that post. 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. If JB wants to make that next step, he needs to work with his WR's in the off season. Peyton always did that. 

So did Luck. He would always have them our at Stanford working out and before mini camp and such. I am sure Jacoby would not of done this in the off season because it wasn’t his team yet. If they decide to roll with him next season there is a lot he can do to try and improve his game. That’s why I am not giving up on him until finishes his contact. If all the WR were healthy all year and this still happened I would be all on we need a new QB. Think about how much of a hit that was to lose Luck 2 weeks before the season and the pressure it put in Jacoby.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We need another big time WR. All the not throwing down field is not all on Jacoby. We have a lot 3 4 and 5 WR. Injuries have killed this offense.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Our main weakness is Brissett.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see".

2 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Look take the QB situation out of it. No matter what happens we need a overhaul at the WR position. Doesn’t matter if he is the starter next season or we move on.  Doesn’t matter if Luck was still the QB. We need to upgrade the position.

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

I said none of the above in that post. 

I thought you said that other teams found winning QBs in rounds later than 2, and provided a list.  I'm assuming its relevant as to be a potential strategy and not just a lucky break.

The probability of Ballard finding a 3rd round QB being better than our 3rd round starter is very low.   To be sure to get one, you would have to draft a QB higher than round 3, IMO.  Taking a QB in round three or later seems predictive to be a push at best, wasting a resource that could be used to improve the team elsewhere. 

Talent is priced at a certain value.  You can't live by relying upon finding the lucky bargain.

Maybe you're opinion of JB is that he has less capability than what we'd expect to find in round 3 this year?  Maybe you think he's that bad.  From that point of view, then showing all of the good QBs that come from round 3 or later makes more sense to me.

2 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

I do smell the coffee and I'm drinking some right now, and it's the Wideouts.  Last year TY gutted out the season with injuries and still balled out.  Now he is hurt, who is the next man up to do what he provides as far as a deep threat?

On 11/22/2019 at 11:18 AM, richard pallo said:

Reich and Ballard love JB.  They will not trade up to get a QB and put JB on the bench.  The team loves him as well.  I do not think they would do that to him.  They might draft one in a later round to develop behind him though.  They are more likely to get JB another quality receiver.  They have the cap space and picks to trade for one and I can see them drafting one as well as most rookies will take a few years to develop.  Unless Luck gets itchy and comes out of retirement I think JB is our starter for the next few years at a minimum.  When you consider all of the circumstances surrounding the offense it certainly doesn't warrant a benching of the QB.  I think when they do their year end assessment that is what they are going to conclude.  

Just because they love him doesn't mean they won't make a change if necessary. You can be in love with a player and make a change if needed.  I'm sure the Titans were in love with Marcus Mariota but they sat him for Ryan Tannehill because he wasn't getting the job done.  

Carson Wentz is going through a similar situation in Philly. Some Philly fans want Wentz gone and others are saying he has no receivers to throw to. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Just because they love him doesn't mean they won't make a change if necessary. You can be in love with a player and make a change if needed.  I'm sure the Titans were in love with Marcus Mariota but they sat him for Ryan Tannehill because he wasn't getting the job done.  

Carson Wentz is going through a similar situation in Philly

. Some Philly fans want Wentz gone and others are saying he has no receivers to throw to. 

Would take Wentz in a heart beat.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:43 PM, DougDew said:

Slightly off topic, but yes.  We've invested capital in projects.  I won't say just like we did with TJ Green, but its not that far off.  

I'm tired of investing based on projections....or the NFL term...high ceiling.

I've become a low floor kind of guy.

Kelly, Nelson, Smith were all low floor guys.  Outside of Leonard, they have been our best draft picks over the past few years because they consistently perform at a high level, where they were expected to perform nearly on day one.

Turay, Lewis, Benagu, and Hooker for that matter, have been high picks that were based upon their perceived ceilings.  Wilson had some polish issues too, as did Basham.  Hines was a 4th, but he's not done as much as he needs to for a player getting PT in a skilled position.

They were all drafted no later than the third.  IMO, its taken too long for them to have earned their draft spots.  Turay and Benagu have more time.

I'm for drafting guys in the first 2 rounds this year....three picks...that are low floor guys.  A possession WR, a DT that can outplay Hunt or Grover on day one, but might not ever be an all-pro, and either an all around TE to replace both Ebron and Doyle (mainly Ebron) or a RB that can run through a tackle.

You really want low floor guys I with our 1st 3 picks in the first 2 rounds? Don't think you'll have to trade up much to get those low floor guys.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:18 PM, richard pallo said:

Reich and Ballard love JB.  They will not trade up to get a QB and put JB on the bench.  The team loves him as well.

I think Mr. Irsay may have something to say about that. Our attendants suck and we are a very boring team right now. 

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

On 11/22/2019 at 2:18 PM, richard pallo said:

Reich and Ballard love JB.  They will not trade up to get a QB and put JB on the bench.  The team loves him as well.

I think Mr. Irsay may have something to say about that. Our attendants suck and we are a very boring team right now. 

Maybe Luck will come to his senses and be healed up. He will miss the game enough to want to come back. He is giving his wife and daughter priceless time as well right now. IMO, the only way get much is if he comes back because I do not think Kelly or Love or any of these college QB's make us better next season. Kelly seems to have his head on straight now and knows our system being on the team for a while, I would trust him more than a random rookie.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe Luck will come to his senses and be healed up. He will miss the game enough to want to come back. He is giving his wife and daughter priceless time as well right now. IMO, the only way get much is if he comes back because I do not think Kelly or Love or any of these college QB's make us better next season. Kelly seems to have his head on straight now and knows our system being on the team for a while, I would trust him more than a random rookie.

I agree but everybody likes a new car. People would come just to see it. Even if they do draft a new QB I believe both JB and CK will still be here. Don't think any drafted QB will be starting for us next year.

Maybe the capitalist in me tells me Irsay will have a say in the direction we go although he has great confidence in Ballard. We need to put an entertaining team on the field and one who's direction is UP! I realize many may not agree with me but filling the seats is as important as winning. Winning with an exciting team comes first and we will then  fill seats.

4 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I agree but everybody likes a new car. People would come just to see it. Even if they do draft a new QB I believe both JB and CK will still be here. Don't think any drafted QB will be starting for us next year.

Maybe the capitalist in me tells me Irsay will have a say in the direction we go although he has great confidence in Ballard. We need to put an entertaining team on the field and one who direction is UP!

So a Brett farce like qb or the mad bomber 

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Maybe the capitalist in me tells me Irsay will have a say in the direction we go although he has great confidence in Ballard. We need to put an entertaining team on the field and one who direction is UP!

I still have to study more QB's in college, I like some of what Love brings to the table. He makes some amazing throws but just not sure if Ballard is even thinking QB right now. If we finish 8-8 or even worse 7-9 than he probably would. I just see a QB like Kelly who put up monster stats in college and is just sitting there on our roster. I am not even a Kelly fan but if JB flops the rest of the season than we already have a kid that is good talent wise. So we could play him and draft mainly defense and get a WR that can make plays other than TY. 

So, the down field WR that we did have, went to a team with bad QBs, and while he didn't get much PT,  was 1 for 1 for a deep 35 yard pass that put Pitt in FG range today.

First week in a new O and he's got nearly the same production on one pass as he did in 6 games with the Colts.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still have to study more QB's in college, I like some of what Love brings to the table. He makes some amazing throws but just not sure if Ballard is even thinking QB right now. If we finish 8-8 or even worse 7-9 than he probably would. I just see a QB like Kelly who put up monster stats in college and is just sitting there on our roster. I am not even a Kelly fan but if JB flops the rest of the season than we already have a kid that is good talent wise. So we could play him and draft mainly defense and get a WR that can make plays other than TY. 

Traveling across the country on a work week to personally watch another QB is pretty clear evidence he's at least thinking about QB right now.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Traveling across the country on a work week to personally watch another QB is pretty clear evidence he's at least thinking about QB right now.

Not really. Could be smoke screen  for another  position  they have in mind

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So, the down field WR that we did have, went to a team with bad QBs, and while he didn't get much PT,  was 1 for 1 for a deep 35 yard pass that put Pitt in FG range today.

First week in a new O and he's got nearly the same production on one pass as he did in 6 games with the Colts.

He just needed one more week to “develop”.   

It’s everyone else’s fault on the Colts, other than Jacoby!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

He just needed one more week to “develop”.   

It’s everyone else’s fault on the Colts, other than Jacoby!

Not saying he's going to be great or anything.... but he was very very good at one thing. And we tried to make him do something else... Pitt inserts him immediately and asked him to do the one thing he's good at... 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Not saying he's going to be great or anything.... but he was very very good at one thing. And we tried to make him do something else... Pitt inserts him immediately and asked him to do the one thing he's good at... 

I will remain skeptical of Cain, until he produces on a consistent basis.

Hopefully, he doesn’t make JB look bad.

That is like some people think Dorsett actually was a huge reason why the Pats won the SB. That is actually laughable. Pats would've won the SB without him. Take Dorsett off that team last year and they still win it all. In big games, Brady only through to Edelman and Gronk downfield see SB for a great example. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

It would really be making Reich look bad more than JB.

If he's ever matched with the right QB and coach/scheme, he'll be at minimum a good one trick pony. How he develops in other areas, IDK. All I know, we sure didn't use him correctly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is like some people think Dorsett actually was a huge reason why the Pats won the SB. That is actually laughable. Pats would've won the SB without him. Take Dorsett off that team last year and they still win it all. In big games, Brady only through to Edelman and Gronk downfield see SB for a great example. 

Not sure anyone is saying Dorsett is a pro bowler or anything, but he stepped up big in the playoffs last year. He's injured right now, but still #2 in WR yards this year for NE. 

Not sure how Dorsett is comparable to Cain... Nothing remotely close in their situations.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure anyone is saying Dorsett is a pro bowler or anything, but he stepped up big in the playoffs last year. He's injured right now, but still #2 in WR yards this year for NE. 

Not sure how Dorsett is comparable to Cain... Nothing remotely close in their situations.

Both are all about speed and are ex-colts is why I brought Dorsett up. 

22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

What did he do in the NFL that he was very very good at? Please don't list preseason games against 4th stringers..

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Both are all about speed and are ex-colts is why I brought Dorsett up. 

I wouldn't say Dorsett is all about speed based on the way NE is using him. He's not a one trick pony like Cain at this stage in his development.

Reich and Ballard. 

yup

4 minutes ago, Calmack said:

What did he do in the NFL that he was very very good at? Please don't list preseason games against 4th stringers..

He was a deep threat guy in college, on the best team in CFB, with Watson throwing him the ball. He was actually a 3 level guy, but not a "possession" guy. Deep, and space.

We tried to turn him into a possession WR and moved him back and forth from X and Z multiple times because other guy got hurt.

Please don't be disingenuous and act like he stinks just because he didn't perform well doing something he didn't do in college, with a QB that's incapable of or unwilling to deliver a ball downfield or in space with anticipation.

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He was a deep threat guy in college, on the best team in CFB, with Watson throwing him the ball. He was actually a 3 level guy, but not a "possession" guy. Deep, and space.

We tried to turn him into a possession WR and moved him back and forth from X and Z multiple times because other guy got hurt.

Please don't be disingenuous and act like he stinks just because he didn't perform well doing something he didn't do in college, with a QB that's incapable of or unwilling to deliver a ball downfield or in space with anticipation.

That's just it. It was in college. Not the NFL against NFL caliber players. Don't think his game will translate because he did it in college. Even more so, if going deep is all he CAN do, there's no incentive to keep a 1 trick pony like him. One that couldn't get any separation in the most basic short to intermediate routes. 

• Like 1