Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Down the field WR's NEEDED!!!!

Tombstone

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1 lucky catch lol. When he starts averaging 7 catches for even 60 yards a game = over 8 yards a catch then I will be impressed. 

Not saying he will amount to anything, but this week, he had more yards than any Colt WR vs Houston, who has one of the worst passing Ds in the league.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This thread isn’t about the QB. It’s about the WR. If Luck was still here we would need another WR. There are plenty of threads to discuss the QB.

Luck was #6 in the NFL last year. And he would have added Doyle back. He would have likely been better than #6 with this years unit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Warner - SB champ, SB mvp, 4x pro bowler

Moon - MVP, 9xPBer, NFL man of the year

Romo- 4xPBer

Garcia - 4xPBer

Kreig - 3xPBer

Pro Bowl not "great success"? Several / a few of the above are record setters, HOFers, have retired numbers, ring of honor types..... 

Trubisky has made a Pro Bowl before. I believe it was consensus thought that making a pro bowl was more about popularity at this point. 

To get to the big picture, it's insanely hard to find any 6th rd or later player that becomes good to great. Out of the 5 you listed, which itself is such a small number considering the amount of 6th rd or later QBs that have played in the NFL, only Warner and Moon have had even minute comparable success to the guy you originally replied with, Brady. 

It also shouldn't be hard to believe that a 6th round receiver who had drop issues listed on his draft profile isn't going to become a good player. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not saying he will amount to anything, but this week, he had more yards than any Colt WR vs Houston, who has one of the worst passing Ds in the league.

giphy.gif

I would love to do this again like the other night but I don't want the Mods to play clean up on us but ok just this one. Cain isn't that good will ferrell lol GIF

8 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Trubisky has made a Pro Bowl before. I believe it was consensus thought that making a pro bowl was more about popularity at this point. 

To get to the big picture, it's insanely hard to find any 6th rd or later player that becomes good to great. Out of the 5 you listed, which itself is such a small number considering the amount of 6th rd or later QBs that have played in the NFL, only Warner and Moon have had even minute comparable success to the guy you originally replied with, Brady. 

It also shouldn't be hard to believe that a 6th round receiver who had drop issues listed on his draft profile isn't going to become a good player. 

Just admit you lost the internet today. You went from good 6th round, narrowed it to QBs with SBs, then on and on... Sure it's rare to get elite guys in late rounds. But we weren't even talking about elite to start with. We were talking about a guy coming off a major injury without even a full year to develop, who was asked to totally change his game and position. Carry on, and keep moving the goal post.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would love to do this again like the other night but I don't want the Mods to play clean up on us but ok just this one. Cain isn't that good 

If he outperforms our WRs again next week, I'm going to laugh soda through my nose. You have to admit it's hilarious and a bit ironical. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just admit you lost the internet today. You went from good 6th round, narrowed it to QBs with SBs, then on and on... Sure it's rare to get elite guys in late rounds. But we weren't even talking about elite to start with. We were talking about a guy coming off a major injury without even a full year to develop, who was asked to totally change his game and position. Carry on, and keep moving the goal post.

Lost the internet? Because you somehow think all your spiel was in some way triumphant? Man I don't know how I will recover from this. 

You're the person who thinks Cain is a 3 lever player. That's the laughable takeaway. 

9 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Lost the internet? Because you somehow think all your spiel was in some way triumphant? Man I don't know how I will recover from this. 

You're the person who thinks Cain is a 3 lever player. That's the laughable takeaway. 

He was a 3 level in college. NFL scouts thought so as well. Ballard drafted him for a reason. Pitt grabbed him for a reason off waivers and started him right away... 

Like I said, he may never amount to anything, but your couch evaluation after less than a year with a bad QB is worth less than zero. You should probably brush up on your late round and UDFA history too lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ever stop and think it was Reich that wasn’t putting him in a position to succeed until he improves in other areas.

So kinda like Mr Miyagi?

Ya think Reich had him waxing his cars, and painting his fence, to prepare him for the real stuff?

I'm here all week...... 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I'm not sure JB is one you want working with QBs.

JB brings a lot to the table. You want every QB you can get to help a new young QB, they’re only going to help him with what they’re good at. I don’t think JB would be teaching a new QB how to read zone D if he can’t even do it in the first place, therefore he could teach him about escaping in the pocket and other stuff JB is good at.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He was a 3 level in college. NFL scouts thought so as well. Ballard drafted him for a reason. Pitt grabbed him for a reason off waivers and started him right away... 

Like I said, he may never amount to anything, but your couch evaluation after less than a year with a bad QB is worth less than zero. You should probably brush up on your late round and UDFA history too lol.

If only every player who did well in college translated equally into the NFL.... You'd have a valid argument for Cains outlook. Too bad that isn't the case. Not even remotely.

I do hope he finds success though. 6th round kid with a lot of athleticism. I just don't see it happening. 

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

Reich judges Vinateri in practice and same with JB. He knows his capabilities more than anyone.

Same reason this Colts team will miss out on the playoffs!  Too loyal!  GOAT has cost us two or three games already and the League is adjusting to check down Brissett.  Don’t tell me about what this coaching staff believes cuz it’s all lies.  What does your eyes tell you?  We need a new kicker and QB period.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NDcolt said:

Same reason this Colts team will miss out on the playoffs!  Too loyal!  GOAT has cost us two or three games already and the League is adjusting to check down Brissett.  Don’t tell me about what this coaching staff believes cuz it’s all lies.  What does your eyes tell you?  We need a new kicker and QB period.

TY has been injured the last two years. He is 30 years old. We need a WR no matter what the future is at QB.  This isn’t a thread to debate the QB.

6 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

Since you seems to be a numbers geek. What is the percentage of successful QB’s from rounds 1-3? What is the percentage from rounds 4-7? 

Depends what you call successful, how do you measure success? 

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I did some work a while back looking more at relative draft value. I was interested in if the production of lower round players outweighed the traditional value chart for draft picks. That is to say, can you make a case for trading down a lot more often than teams traditionally do. 

It's hard to compare a number of metrics across a number of rounds, so what I did was scale everything based on the average production of a 1st round pick. Here's the chart for QBs:

0?ui=2&ik=fece2f4582&attid=0.1&permmsgid

So on the scale 1.00 = average production for a 1st round QB (years 2006 - 2016), below that number is worse, above it is better. Averages for QBs per round, with round being the X Axis. 

Shows you get some production in lower rounds, but much more inconsistent play. Which chimes with what you'd logically expect. The talent level differential is probably quite narrow, it's the ability to consistently perform at the NFL level that separates the great from the good. 

16 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

You really want low floor guys I with our 1st 3 picks in the first 2 rounds? Don't think you'll have to trade up much to get those low floor guys.

I screwed up that rant.  I meant high floor. 

Guys like Mahomed Sanu come to mind.  Reliable, good hands, good routes and catch radius.  They don't have to be a physical specimen or looked at as having future all-pro potential.  There are probably many DTs in the league that fit that mold in their own way.

Those are the players we should be going for at pick 17, 49, and 81.   Trading up for Lewis, getting athletes like Ben and Turay, or Wilson, or TJ Green with high ceilings just isn't cutting it, IMO.  Not that Ben or Turay are bad.  They seem to be working out, but there is too much risk.   

12 hours ago, Nickster said:

Because we know what JB is.

Exactly, we don't know what we'll get in with a mid first round QB and we don't need a better QB than JB to win.  We need a better team and roster to win.  And we need that better team and roster even if we had a better QB.

If we want to get the performance we got from Luck by trading up to get a Luck, and keep the team we have, then fine.  We'll go 10-6, 11-5 and maybe win a playoff game against a 10-6 wildcard team.

It’s going to be harder to get production out of our receivers without Ebron on the field. Hilton should still do damage but he’s gotta get back up to speed. 

I’m very disgusted with our passing game this year...somehow the one year our running game is respectable we can’t even run play action or get any chunk plays....smh 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, colt18 said:

It’s going to be harder to get production out of our receivers without Ebron on the field. Hilton should still do damage but he’s gotta get back up to speed. 

I’m very disgusted with our passing game this year...somehow the one year our running game is respectable we can’t even run play action or get any chunk plays....smh 

Assuming they go ahead and activate Funchess along with having Doyle healthy I don't think we'll miss him much.  You can use Funchess in a very similar Fashion as Ebron.  Personally I think Funchess won't drop it quite as much either despite his supposed high drop rate in Carolina for a season here or there. 

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Assuming they go ahead and activate Funchess along with having Doyle healthy I don't think we'll miss him much.  You can use Funchess in a very similar Fashion as Ebron.  Personally I think Funchess won't drop it quite as much either despite his supposed high drop rate in Carolina for a season here or there. 

I disagree. Even if Ebron didn’t get targeted, his presence demanded a double team. Funchess is a big target but was an underachiever with Newton.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:10 AM, MPStack said:

I never bought the Cain hype, but I will say this, if Cain produces with the Steelers, you have to look at Brissett.

Yes, and you also have to look at Reich.  And you have to look at Ballard who could probably have brought in a superior roleplayer and did not.

Brissett has proven willing to throw deep.  I don't know what the problem with Cain is but sometimes the desired chemistry just does not develop.

11 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I disagree. Even if Ebron didn’t get targeted, his presence demanded a double team. Funchess is a big target but was an underachiever with Newton.

We shall see.  Funchess is a better route runner than Ebron,  he' s  damn near a tight end. I think we can scheme up a lot of the same stuff.  It might not be exactly the same, but I don't think there will be much drop off  to be honest.  At lot of Ebrons production this year has gone to Jack Doyle any way.  It's very easy to double Ebron with what we have now because nobody else is even worth it.  Once they see Funchess is one of Brissett go to guys it won't be long. 

• Like 1