Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playcalling...

bluephantom87

Up to this point I love where the team is at and think Frank is doing a great job overall. With that being said I'm starting to notice that teams are loading the box to stop the run and we seem even more DETERMINED to run on the early downs to establish the running game leading to a lot of 3rd and longs as well as 3 and outs lately. 

Now I'm not saying to abandon the run but I think the playcalling needs to be mixed up a little more because the offense is starting to become predictable on 1st and 2nd downs. I'm not even seeing as much of Hines out the backfield for quick swing passes like last season. His catch at the end of the Bronco game was just as big as TY's long haul grab.

JB has proven to me that he can win with his arm and I am not saying that's the route we need to go because I too believe in a balanced offense. I think by going with some bootlegs and quick slants on early downs will help. Also try using more "spread" formations with pre snap motion to help create mismatches. Sprinkle in some no huddle to change the pace. I do believe that once Funch and Campbell return the passing game will pick up BUT remember we had neither on the roster last season.

Speaking of last year the Colts kept opposing defenses off balance DUE to the playcalling. I saw reverses some hurry up sprinkled in etc. Playing it close to the vest is leading to nail biters against some bad teams. The Colts dodged one with a shakey Adam V hitting the 51 yarder to win the game. Switch it up some and jump on the Steelers early. Go Colts!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

Up to this point I love where the team is at and think Frank is doing a great job overall. With that being said I'm starting to notice that teams are loading the box to stop the run and we seem even more DETERMINED to run on the early downs to establish the running game leading to a lot of 3rd and longs as well as 3 and outs lately. 

Now I'm not saying to abandon the run but I think the playcalling needs to be mixed up a little more because the offense is starting to become predictable on 1st and 2nd downs. I'm not even seeing as much of Hines out the backfield for quick swing passes like last season. His catch at the end of the Bronco game was just as big as TY's long haul grab.

JB has proven to me that he can win with his arm and I am not saying that's the route we need to go because I too believe in a balanced offense. I think by going with some bootlegs and quick slants on early downs will help. Also try using more "spread" formations with pre snap motion to help create mismatches. Sprinkle in some no huddle to change the pace. I do believe that once Funch and Campbell return the passing game will pick up BUT remember we had neither on the roster last season.

Speaking of last year the Colts kept opposing defenses off balance DUE to the playcalling. I saw reverses some hurry up sprinkled in etc. Playing it close to the vest is leading to nail biters against some bad teams. The Colts dodged one with a shakey Adam V hitting the 51 yarder to win the game. Switch it up some and jump on the Steelers early. Go Colts!

I hope to see them add some quick hitters in as well. Wouldn’t mind seeing us 5 wide with Hines moving from the backfield on first down. The 5 personnel I’d want to see is TY, Doyle, EE, Hines and either Pascal or Cain and I’d be fine with PC if he is healthy now. Surely they can create something with that. 

• Like 1

Agree. I think because of all the praise (much deserved) that the o-line and rushing attack has earned, opposing defenses are taking notice too. Teams are basically saying you're not going to run on us so if we stop you on 1st and 2nd down to little or no gains, then we'll just pin our ears back on 3rd and longs FORCING JB to make plays under duress. 

WOW!!! Colin Cowherd just did a segment on his show today about playoff contenders whether they are trick or treat... Now bare in mind Colin loves the Colts but he said they're a trick.

Analogy was based on the Colts being ranked 22nd in passing and 18th overall in offense with arguably one of the 3 best o-lines in football. Also in a nutshell too many scratch and claw wins. Said JB is more like Dak and that the Colts DO miss Luck. I take what Colin says with a grain of salt but thought his take was interesting.

43 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

WOW!!! Colin Cowherd just did a segment on his show today about playoff contenders whether they are trick or treat... Now bare in mind Colin loves the Colts but he said they're a trick.

Analogy was based on the Colts being ranked 22nd in passing and 18th overall in offense with arguably one of the 3 best o-lines in football. Also in a nutshell too many scratch and claw wins. Said JB is more like Dak and that the Colts DO miss Luck. I take what Colin says with a grain of salt but thought his take was interesting.

I'm not sure that comparison is that accurate. Dak sucks, and doesn't have near the escapability as JB. Plus JB's arm is light years better than Dak.

With out a doubt they need to change up the play calling. 

Need some screens, throws to RBs, slants, jet sweeps (even if fake) to Campbell/Hines, and more play action. 

I'd like to see the percentages of runs on 1st down. It would prob make me puke. Change it up! 

I do agree with the top 3 Oline in the league (not sure who has better) and 22nd in passing and 18th in overall offense is pretty weak. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I think that's a fair assessment.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'm not sure that comparison is that accurate. Dak sucks, and doesn't have near the escapability as JB. Plus JB's arm is light years better than Dak.

Need some screens, throws to RBs, slants, jet sweeps (even if fake) to Campbell/Hines, and more play action. 

I'd like to see the percentages of runs on 1st down. It would prob make me puke. Change it up! 

I do agree with the top 3 Oline in the league (not sure who has better) and 22nd in passing and 18th in overall offense is pretty weak. 

I concur with you about Dak because I personally think that JB is much better. What I don't understand is why are the handcuffs on JB? Frank has said on many occasions that JB can make all the throws (saw it in camp routinely) and to me his interception ratio is better than Luck's because JB will throw the ball away when he doesn't have anything. A couple of theories are out there that the Colts would like Luck back who is considered by some to be a generational type of qb and that's no knock against JB because they think HIGHLY of him but no one considers him to be on the fast track to a possible HOF type of career. Think about it if JB shines and the Colts thrive I highly doubt that Luck himself would return out of respect for the guys so that door would be closed.

BUT if they struggle on OFFENSE (bottom half of league) and say Luck's body as well as mind are in a much better place along with the family blessing... Do you think he would consider a comeback to fulfill his narrative as an all time great in the making with a call from Irsay, Ballard and Frank? I don't know but the playcalling seems to be reverting back to the days of dare I say Chuck? Hope not...

11 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I will say this the bootleg has been there all year.  I don't know what they are saving it for but with a big QB like JB it's there and we should take it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

To me both of those rankings are primarily due to the fact that we have no real no.2 WR.  Funchess has been gone since game 1.  That coupled with the injuries to our other WR's and we are not in a good place.  Hopefully when Funchess returns the passing game picks up.

Maybe put Hines and Mack in the backfield together, that way D cant key on pass to Hines, run to Mack. I believe it was well into the 3rd quarter against Broncos, stat came up showing TY 1 target, Ebron 1 target, Pascal (who was hot as fire coming into the game) 2 targets. That is %100 unacceptable. You have to use your playmakers. The levels that Reich always talks about in his passing scheme arent being utilized by JB. I still believe we have a lot weapons, just need to use em. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

To me both of those rankings are primarily due to the fact that we have no real no.2 WR.  Funchess has been gone since game 1.  That coupled with the injuries to our other WR's and we are not in a good place.  Hopefully when Funchess returns the passing game picks up.

I thought about that too but look at the Pats with one of the weakest WR groups in the nfl. Playcalling and schemes matter. I honestly believe we are better off than last year with weapons because I like Pascal as a 2 for now. Jack is back and Cain is not being utilized at all nor is Hines in space like last season. I'm not seeing the creativity from last season BUT I believe Frank and Co can get it together.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Maybe put Hines and Mack in the backfield together, that way D cant key on pass to Hines, run to Mack. I believe it was well into the 3rd quarter against Broncos, stat came up showing TY 1 target, Ebron 1 target, Pascal (who was hot as fire coming into the game) 2 targets. That is %100 unacceptable. You have to use your playmakers. The levels that Reich always talks about in his passing scheme arent being utilized by JB. I still believe we have a lot weapons, just need to use em. 

This... :thmup:

• Thanks 1

Teams are obviously trying to make Jacoby beat them.

In my opinion Jacoby needs to take more chances. He plays like he is scared to throw an interception. When forced to make a great play and use his elite arm he does so. (The Von Miller broken sack and great throw to T.Y)

However throughout the game he constantly looks for the short safe throws and acts like he doesn’t believe in his arm. I believe he has a game manager mindset which is okay but teams are going to continue to force him to beat them. Our running game is hurting because of it.

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

When has JB displayed on a regular basis that he can hit WRs downfield with this big arm you’re talking about?  Not just a handful of plays

I think Colin nailed the comparison. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

When has JB displayed on a regular basis that he can hit WRs downfield with this big arm you’re talking about?  Not just a handful of plays

I think Colin nailed the comparison. 

Yea for a qb with a big arm he seems to hate going down field 

Or its Reich trying to take things slow. But we are 8 games in now. Everyone should be comfy now. It’s time for him to open things up more like he did in the Texan game. His play calling has not been great. Even if you don’t connect on a couple deep passes it keeps teams on their toes. Jacoby led the league with 4 passes over 60 yards in 2017. It’s time to open up the play book more. We haven’t even seen a attempted pass to TY downfield. Have we seen Cain and TY both sent deep at the same time. The two deep passes was just one player going deep. Even if you don’t connect it keeps the defense honest. I do think the run game is suffering from it. But just not sure who is to blame. It’s probably a combination of both. Reich seems to be struggling some with how to use his players.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Or its Reich trying to take things slow. But we are 8 games in now. Everyone should be comfy now. It’s time for him to open things up more like he did in the Texan game. His play calling has not been great. Even if you don’t connect on a couple deep passes it keeps teams on their toes. Jacoby led the league with 4 passes over 60 yards in 2017. It’s time to open up the play book more. We haven’t even seen a attempted pass to TY downfield. Have we seen Cain and TY both sent deep at the same time. The two deep passes was just one player going deep. Even if you don’t connect it keeps the defense honest.

I suspect that Frank Reich isn't showing all his cards at this stage of the season. If we are 5-2 at this point with a very limited playbook, that may bode well late in the season and in the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Teams got the blueprint to defend us early in the season. Stop the run, double TY. Stack the box,  play shallow and congest the short/intermediate throwing lanes. 

That will continue until we open up the passing game a bit. We don't need bombs-away, just more intermediate shots to the perimeter (JB has not been good at the back shoulder), and a few 20+ yard seam connections per game to keep Ds honest and spread out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Teams got the blueprint to defend us early in the season. Stop the run, double TY. Stack the box,  play shallow and congest the short/intermediate throwing lanes. 

That will continue until we open up the passing game a bit. We don't need bombs-away, just more intermediate shots to the perimeter (JB has not been good at the back shoulder), and a few 20+ yard seam connections per game to keep Ds honest and spread out.

If the NFL has the blueprint to beat the colts,  why are they 5-2?

• Thanks 2

Just now, CoachLite said:

I suspect that Frank Reich isn't showing all his cards at this stage of the season. If we are 5-2 at this point with a very limited playbook, that may bode well late in the season and in the playoffs.

With a new QB, I'd prefer to be calling game tested plays late in the season, than practiced plays. Sure new wrinkles are fine, but not dramatic shifts.  

7 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I actually heard this on a podcast the other day. I don’t really buy it. Is KC, GB, or the Texans being conservative so they don’t show their cards to early. I do by him being conservative to get everybody comfy with a new QB. Now is the time to orb things up. We are 9 games in.

I remember someone on here was kind of upset at Reich in the off-season talking about the run opening up the pass. You can see now how the pass actually opens up the run. Especially if a team can bring pressure with just four. Reich needs to get back a little to throwing first and see what happens. That is what will get the run game going.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

With a new QB, I'd prefer to be calling game tested plays late in the season, than practiced plays. Sure new wrinkles are fine, but not dramatic shifts.  

I think the coaching staff knows what they're doing.   Don't worry

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I actually heard this on a podcast the other day. I don’t really buy it. Is KC, GB, or the Texans being conservative so they don’t show their cards to early. I do by him being conservative to get everybody comfy with a new QB. Now is the time to orb things up. We are 9 games in.

I remember someone on here was kind of upset at Reich in the off-season talking about the run opening up the pass. You can see now how the pass actually opens up the run. Especially if a team can bring pressure with just four. Reich needs to get back a little to throwing first and see what happens. That is what will get the run game going.

We are 8 games in

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We are 8 games in

Woops lol. Still half way through it’s time to open the playbook. Even guys like Hines are on track for half the receiving yards he had last year. Mack can clearly catch the ball. Confuse defenses and use him more in the pass game. I am really hoping things change some from the first 8 games.

• Like 1

The usage of Hines in this offense is the biggest playcalling mystery in recent memory. Once or twice a game they try to run him straight up the gut and it always nets like 1-2 yards tops. But they aren’t passing it to him nearly as much and that’s the strength of his game. I’m really confused at that.

Also don’t know why they aren’t utilizing the TEs as much as last year. 

Play calling has been great overall but there are a couple head scratchers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The usage of Hines in this offense is the biggest playcalling mystery in recent memory. Once or twice a game they try to run him straight up the gut and it always nets like 1-2 yards tops. But they aren’t passing it to him nearly as much and that’s the strength of his game. I’m really confused at that.

Also don’t know why they aren’t utilizing the TEs as much as last year. 

Play calling has been great overall but there are a couple head scratchers.

When Hines gets those short passes he usually gets big Gaines. Use him more. It’s not rocket science.  Ebron struggled to get on the field last year when Doyle was healthy. But he is one of your best play makers. 22 snaps a game is unacceptable. He had one bad game. He was great in the Texan game. He creates mismatches use him. Get him out there.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If the NFL has the blueprint to beat the colts,  why are they 5-2?

Actually, my words were "blueprint to defend", not blueprint to defeat..... but since you went there.....

Two poor to mediocre teams with losing records have beaten us. I'm happy for every W, but our pts differential vs a very mediocre schedule probably isn't sustainable. Our current point differential is +7 or 1pt per game. Feel free to spin it that Ws are the only thing that matters, but it's disingenuous to act like it's not a concern. Only 3 teams left on our schedule have winning records, so perhaps we can squeak out things all season before running into a wall in the playoffs (if we don't improve things).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

just his opinion

To be fair with the point differential. Houston to me was never really in question. We pretty much controlled that game despite the pts. We needed to convert on one last drive to kill them. That is where Reich admitted he got to conservative in the 4th. He admitted he was aggressive all game and should of stayed that way/ we dominated KC also. That was a weird game we settled for FG. That’s where we have to get better. Knock teams out. We convert  just two of those FG to TD in KC and we blow turn out. We had no trouble going down field. Atlanta also never had the ball with a chance to tie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Woops lol. Still half way through it’s time to open the playbook. Even guys like Hines are on track for half the receiving yards he had last year. Mack can clearly catch the ball. Confuse defenses and use him more in the pass game. I am really hoping things change some from the first 8 games.

i think they will , frank will confuse the teams who have watched our past game films

• Like 1

Frank needs to learn something from that Houston game. Stay aggressive and dictate the game. Denver I give a little bit of a pass because they have done that to everyone this year. That defense is no joke. 

I was looking through pictures on the colts AP of practice today. It really looked like they had a very aggressive practice. Some of the pictures are kind of funny.