Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvel Tell III makes PFF's team of the week in PS week 1

stitches

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pffs-nfl-team-of-the-week-2019-nfl-preseason-week-1

CB MARVELL TELL III, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

88.8 Overall Grade, 23 Defensive Snaps

A fifth-round draft pick out of USC, the 91st-ranked player on the final PFF Big Board made an impressive start to his Indianapolis Colts career. On the field for 10 snaps in coverage, Tel didn’t allow a reception despite being targeted twice and also came away with a pass breakup.

nsdMjFj.jpg

Impressive for a safety switching to cornerback. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

He’s the one I voted as a surprise cut.   I’ll be glad to be wrong!

I mean... it wouldn't be shocking if he was cut. This grade is on very limited number of snaps and mainly against backups. We have some good depth at corner. IMO he needs to show up in special teams snaps. If you are 4-5-6th  corner you need to be able to contribute in other ways. 

The thing is... I'm not sure he would clear waivers for us to stash him on the practice squad. I still think he's a project well worth developing and putting resources in if not for this year, for the next. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I mean... it wouldn't be shocking if he was cut. This grade is on very limited number of snaps and mainly against backups. We have some good depth at corner. IMO he needs to show up in special teams snaps. If you are 4-5-6th  corner you need to be able to contribute in other ways. 

The thing is... I'm not sure he would clear waivers for us to stash him on the practice squad. I still think he's a project well worth developing and putting resources in if not for this year, for the next. 

A little unusual for a team to cut a player taken at the top (6th pick) of round 5 . 

• Like 1

Since he was one of my favorite draft picks this year,  I'd respectfully agree and say I think it would be a big deal if Tell didn't make the 53.    I think he's good enough that we if we cut him to try and get him on the 53,  he won't make it.   Some other team will claim him.

That said.....

If I'm going to advise posters here not to get too worked up negatively over our disappointing first game,  then it strikes me as fair and reasonable to say the same thing on the flip side.

Don't read too much into a very good game by Tell in Pre-season game #1.    Look,  I think it's great.   Something to build on.    And maybe a sign of things to come.   Hopefully.     But I'd like to see more,  much more before we conclude anything...

Sorry,  I'm the more cautious type.   Just too soon for me to reach any solid conclusions.

Tell had another good day today in practice (per reports) and I like the value he brings to the team:

Converting to Corner

Could still play either FS/SS

Can play the Dime Backer spot ala Geathers

ST Gunner

Same can be said about Hairston:

Can play Nickel

Can play outside

Is a ST gunner

Milton is a one trick pony and by all indications Collins has had a mixed bag of success and failure in camp

At this rate I think Milton and Collins are the two on the outside looking in.