Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett & future QB Backup

ThorstenDenmark

Jacoby Brissett have been a great backup for the last couple of years, but what do the colts do, when he leaves or gets traded before the trade deadline?

The perfect scenario, would of course be that CB extended his contract and that Jacoby Brissett would agree to such a deal, but that's not gonna happen.

The next best thing, would be to make a trade before the trade deadline, and acquire a new QB backup or at least get something in return for Jacoby Brissett, maybe a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick, but that won't happen either... as CB probably want to keep him til the end of the season.

So in all likelihood, Jacoby Brissett will walk in free agency come next season, and we have to find a new backup for Andrew Luck. 

So my question is, should we use a draft pick for a backup, sign one in free agency ( old / young) or is there one like Jacoby Brissett out there, that we should make a trade fore? 

I would love if we got a new Matt Hasselbeck type, but thats pretty darn hard to find.

Go Colts

How much money would it take keep JB as a long term "backup" QB???

I know, I know... He deserves a chance to be a full time starter!

but ya know... Good money for your family and job security for a good 4-5 years??  He seems to be the prototypical "TEAM GUY" 

So how much???

The smart thing to do would be to trade him, seeing as he is definitely going elsewhere at the end of the year if he isn’t signing an extension. Let’s be real, if we get to the backend of the season and luck is out, as much as I like JB, we aren’t likely winning a SB with him.

If we could get a 2nd or 3rd for him, that’d be great value... we all know what Ballard is doing with his 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

Who knows? Chad Kelly is showing great at camp right now...(early I know), but he could be the backup if he shows it preaseason.

2 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Jacoby Brissett have been a great backup for the last couple of years, but what do the colts do, when he leaves or gets traded before the trade deadline?

The perfect scenario, would of course be that CB extended his contract and that Jacoby Brissett would agree to such a deal, but that's not gonna happen.

The next best thing, would be to make a trade before the trade deadline, and acquire a new QB backup or at least get something in return for Jacoby Brissett, maybe a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick, but that won't happen either... as CB probably want to keep him til the end of the season.

So in all likelihood, Jacoby Brissett will walk in free agency come next season, and we have to find a new backup for Andrew Luck. 

So my question is, should we use a draft pick for a backup, sign one in free agency ( old / young) or is there one like Jacoby Brissett out there, that we should make a trade fore? 

I would love if we got a new Matt Hasselbeck type, but thats pretty darn hard to find.

Go Colts

Hey, here’s a fresh thread

22 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

The smart thing to do would be to trade him, seeing as he is definitely going elsewhere at the end of the year if he isn’t signing an extension. Let’s be real, if we get to the backend of the season and luck is out, as much as I like JB, we aren’t likely winning a SB with him.

If we could get a 2nd or 3rd for him, that’d be great value... we all know what Ballard is doing with his 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

Who knows? Chad Kelly is showing great at camp right now...(early I know), but he could be the backup if he shows it preaseason.

How smart would it be to trade your back up when your starter is not even practicing right now?  Not very

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jmac_48 said:

How much money would it take keep JB as a long term "backup" QB???

I know, I know... He deserves a chance to be a full time starter!

but ya know... Good money for your family and job security for a good 4-5 years??  He seems to be the prototypical "TEAM GUY" 

So how much???

Well the going rate for a low end starting QB is what - $15-$20 million range?  That is about what Brissett would command. 

So so let’s add that to Lucks contract (current and future) and so now the Colts would be paying the QB position around $50 million per year. Seems like a poor use of cap space.  

• Like 1

Best case scenario is that a playoff team loses their starting QB a week or two before the trade deadline. If someone gets desperate and wants to give up a high draft pick for Brissett's services for half a season, you take the draft pick or picks and run. He's leaving Indy one way or the other and I would love to get something in return for him.

OR perhaps he hits the market and his value to other teams isn't what he expected so he comes back and plays for the Colts on a short term deal.

I'm fine with either scenario.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

How smart would it be to trade your back up when your starter is not even practicing right now?  Not very

If it was week 1 they are all on record saying he would be playing.... they are just being extra cautious with him now because hey can afford to be. Luck is fine, everybody calm down.

I doubt they trade him. With the situation with luck they have seen how valuable he is. I wonder at the of the year they can put some kind of tender on him  on him that will allow him to search for a team to start on but we keep his rights. I don’t think he will leave for another backup job. He will re sign here if that is the case.

If we do lose him after this season we need to search for the same kind of QB where if you need him the offense doesn’t have to change. The nice thing about Jacoby is he is running practice just like Luck would. We can still run all our plays. He has the arm to make all the plays.

4 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Go Colts

4 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Go Colts

Its actually a great question, though there are 200 opinions on Briskett..... 

I can see Briskett being the backup this year, but if you think about it, we are starting to build a roster where 4th-8th round picks are going to have more difficulty making the team, than at any time in the last 10-15 years.

It may be time to use a 5th on a developmental QB. A player that has potential, (and if developed) that might be future trade bait..... or be our QB if Luck goes down

I would like to see how Chad Kelly progresses in preseason

He has a big league arm, but seems to be a minor league mind

Walker is not an NFL QB, and doesnt deserve a roster spot IMHO

If Chad Kelly has a great camp, we may have our long term back up

OR...... another knucklehead that blew an NFL chance

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I doubt they trade him. With the situation with luck they have seen how valuable he is. I wonder at the of the year they can put some kind of tender on him  on him that will allow him to search for a team to start on but we keep his rights. I don’t think he will leave for another backup job. He will re sign here if that is the case.

he does seem like a tender candidate, but he is not eligible for that assuming he is on the active roster this year.  if he gets hurt and misses half the season then we can tender.   i did have to google that ftr

agree that he probably wont leave to be a career backup somewhere, but it will be interesting if a team gives him a legit chance to compete for a starting job right away.  it would probably be hard for him to turn that down 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We could still earn a draft pick if he leaves at the end of the season. I am very impressed with him in camp. I love that he can run our offense without changing anything.

Here is the problem I’m seeing with JB getting that starter QB spot elsewhere next year. Who really needs a starter that doesn’t already have one in place? I mean I just looked through the list of teams and most have the guy or a 1st /2nd yr guy in that spot. 

Places if the QB says I’ve had enough would be:

new england 

Pitt

New Orleans

and then it’s possible for a space to compete at:

Tennessee

Vikings 

Raiders

Jacksonville

Tampa bay

Cincy

I think realistically, out of both these lists, only a few spaces would be open for a true opportunity for a JB type unless JB really explodes in preseason and shows the arm and the head with his talent around him. I think both NE and Pitt QB’s aren’t leaving next season without injury. I also don’t think we see changes in Raiders or Vikings and slim chance they sign a big contract guy to Tennessee or Jags to compete with their current QB unless those two really crap the bed this year. Where is Cincy with their QB back up guy? I really only see TAmpa as the strongest potential for a team that says we’ve seen enough from this starter and the new coach wants to change direction with the inconsistency of Winston, who also has a huge arm and speed. 

I just feel we are limited in dance partners to get a high comp pick for next year and since we really don’t know where Luck is and will it be a chronic issue now, so there is too much risk to trade him early. It would literally be a trade offer to good to pass on that we trade JB and run with Kelly. That type of offer only comes in a desperate team that drops a QB early on, without a real back up, and they believe with an above average QB, they have the shot to get to the playoffs. Small margins to work with and that’s why I think JB plays out his contract here and has a rough time getting a big starters contract next season without completely balling out in his preseason opportunity this year. 

• Like 3

JB will have to win the starting job wherever he goes.  He won’t begin camp for any team as a starter.  There are a few teams where he could emerge and he would need to be strategic and go there and fight. 

CB already has his plan on our future backup.  We just don’t know it yet.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

JB will have to win the starting job wherever he goes.  He won’t begin camp for any team as a starter.  There are a few teams where he could emerge and he would need to be strategic and go there and fight. 

This is a good point.  I hope for him he gets a chance to start somewhere. Being selfish though I hope he stays here. 

Drafting a guy in the 3rd round or so and developing him would be smart. I just wouldn’t want a guy like that to have to play if Luck gets injured. It would be a huge risk.

11 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Totally agree. Unless AL misses some games and JB shows he can win games, he is likely to be playing next year at a good backup QB's salary, with the possibility of competing for a starting job.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Here is the problem I’m seeing with JB getting that starter QB spot elsewhere next year. Who really needs a starter that doesn’t already have one in place? I mean I just looked through the list of teams and most have the guy or a 1st /2nd yr guy in that spot. 

Places if the QB says I’ve had enough would be:

new england 

Pitt

New Orleans

and then it’s possible for a space to compete at:

Tennessee

Vikings 

Raiders

Jacksonville

Tampa bay

Cincy

I think realistically, out of both these lists, only a few spaces would be open for a true o

If you're Tennessee, and you go 9-7, miss the playoffs, and Mariota misses a few games with his nagging injuries, do you really make a big investment in him, or cut ties?

Suppose Wentz can't stay healthy again. Philly could be a team that will overpay for a quality backup (would depend on how Sudfeld does).

What if Rivers shows obvious signs of slowing down this year? Unlikely, but you never know. Would they sink 25-30 mil a year on him?

I assume Arians likes Winston, or he wouldn't have signed there.

I don't think JB will have a lot of options, and it would not surprise me to see him back on a 1 year deal with the Colts.

59 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Yeah, this has been my thinking for a while. It's easy to say he'll find a starting job/starting money somewhere in FA...but if you really dive into it there's not many opportunities unless certain players retire (Brady/NE for example). But other than that? The Saints have their backup plan in Bridgewater who Sean Payton really likes. The Steelers seem to be committed to Rudolph if Big Ben retires. And if Rivers retires, they have Tyrod Taylor and Easton Stick.

Anywhere he goes it seems like it'd just be for the chance to compete for a starting spot. I kind of expect him to sign something like a 2 yr/10+ mil type of deal. Or a one year deal worth a little more.

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Agreed This no practicing right now up's my concern level with each passing day he doesn't practice they keep saying minor nothing to worry about but we have heard this crap before and then he missed the whole year so as a fan im very concerned if he misses past preseason.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The FO may be taking it extra cautiously with Luck, partly, to give Brissett more reps in practice and in games to showcase him.

Or they are simply giving their back up the reps that they would have given their #1. 

Brissett will I’ll be on the roster in 2019. Who are they showcasing him for?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

I would think that Kelly is his initial venture into an eventual future backup.  He's young and had already won the backup job in Denver.  I don't think he was ever on a practice squad but I'm not sure.  If he can show his off field issues are behind him then he could be the guy.  Everything I read indicates he is really putting in the effort and work.  These upcoming preseason games will be huge for him.  Luck won't be playing so he will get plenty of No. 2 reps behind Brissett.  This is his opportunity I would think.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would think that Kelly is his initial venture into an eventual future backup.  He's young and had already won the backup job in Denver.  I don't think he was ever on a practice squad but I'm not sure.  If he can show his off field issues are behind him then he could be the guy.  Everything I read indicates he is really putting in the effort and work.  These upcoming preseason games will be huge for him.  Luck won't be playing so he will get plenty of No. 2 reps behind Brissett.  This is his opportunity I would think.  

Do you think Kelly can make all the throws so we don’t have to change what we do on offense? I don’t know enough about him.

i think the culture here has hopefully help him. Hanging out with good unselfish men can only help him.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Do you think Kelly can make all the throws so we don’t have to change what we do on offense? I don’t know enough about him.

i think the culture here has hopefully help him. Hanging out with good unselfish men can only help him.

My thought is that I think he can make all of the throws.  Otherwise I don't see Ballard signing him.  Whoever the backup is is going to have to be able to step right in and run the entire offense IMO.   Our culture here should really be a plus for his development as a player and a person.  I think the Reich connection with Jim Kelly can also be viewed as a positive motivator. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Or they are simply giving their back up the reps that they would have given their #1. 

Brissett will I’ll be on the roster in 2019. Who are they showcasing him for?

An NFL team that might be interested.  They can slow walk Luck's recovery is all I'm saying. 

All backup positions are expendable, even QB, if a suitable replacement can be found.  Not sure how much confidence we'd have in another backup QB.  

I don't care if he stays or goes.  But the added reps helps any scenario.  

1.     The Colts are trading Brissett.    Not as long as we're contenders and he's important to our future. 

{Moderator EDIT: OP did mean to say are NOT trading  above ^^ )

2.    The odds are high that we're NOT getting a 2 or a 3 for JB.    It would have to be from a contending team whose starter gets hurt.     That might happen,  or it might not.   So, it's nothing to be counted on.     Odds are,  JB would only bring a Day 3 pick, like a 4 or a 5.    More would be a long shot...

• Like 1

We wouldn't get much value in a trade.   Having him as insurance is more valuable right now.   As someone pointed out, there are not many teams that will be looking for a starting QB next year.  Factor in the other FA QB's and the draft and he may not have many options.   Colts may be able to sign him to a 1 year deal.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

An NFL team that might be interested.  They can slow walk Luck's recovery is all I'm saying. 

All backup positions are expendable, even QB, if a suitable replacement can be found.  Not sure how much confidence we'd have in another backup QB.  

I don't care if he stays or goes.  But the added reps helps any scenario.  

Any scenario?  You mean real or imagined?  Like the real one of getting him ready to play if necessary.?  And the imagined one that they are putting him out there for other teams to see?  Because that is 10000% not what they are doing with Brissett. 

6 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Pretty sure they're hoping Chad kelly stays clean and becomes who he is capable of. If so. He will also be leaving after success. 

Not sure about that.   Him leaving that is.  I think you are correct that Ballard is hoping Kelly can stay clean and be the backup in case Brissett leaves.  

Kelly would need to start several regular season games and do well in order for another team to want to take a chance on him.   

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not sure about that.   Him leaving that is.  I think you are correct that Ballard is hoping Kelly can stay clean and be the backup in case Brissett leaves.  

Kelly would need to start several regular season games and do well in order for another team to want to take a chance on him.   

You're probably right, but if he balls every preseason and stays clean for 3 years he could be picked up by a needy team. Hes definitely talented. 

• Like 1