Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Odum be the starting Safety

Reich said Geathers was one of the players who would be limited to start off TC because of a knee procedure early in the offseason.

But I like Odum enough. I think he's got a little more potential to tap into. Plus Ballard's has talked him up a few times unprompted.

55 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a interesting observation. Maybe how we keep Geathers healthier. Plus allows us to keep only 4 LB.

They will positively keep more than 4 LBs on the roster.  Is not even a question.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well if your counting Banogu  as a LB yes. I think he is a DE though and will play there. I think we are going to keep more DB because of the packages we play. We will see.

I am not counting Banagou and know there will be more than 4 lbs

We'll at least have 5 LB'ers on the team. Most teams don't have less than 6.

We almost always had at least Leonard, Walker, Goode, Franklin, and Adams available on gameday. I won't be surprised if Franklin or Adams get cut but they were dressed for every single game last year if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a interesting observation. Maybe how we keep Geathers healthier. Plus allows us to keep only 4 LB.

I wouldn’t be surprised, Odum played well when he started. He made a few bonehead mistakes because he was a rookie but other than that was solid. And he has way more instincts and better coverage skills than Geathers does. I view Geathers as a hybrid LB more so than a safety. 

• Like 1

This is training camp, they try out all sorts of formations and personnel, I would not read too much to it.

Anyway, Odum has been a positive surprise so far, so who knows. He might become the next Kenny Moore for this team. Regarding Geathers, his best position is being in the box or close to the box. So call it box safety or hybrid lb, I don't see big difference. He's probably able to play both fine if Eberflus asks him to.

• Like 3

In a two deep system Odum is the better safety than Geathers. He is faster and has better hands and makes a better fit next to Hooker.

As a dime linebacker, Geathers is better in short area coverage and tackling.

At least to my naked eye from watching them last year.

The coaching staff will put the players in the spots that help the team the most. I'm sure Marvell Tell III will play a role in here somewhere as well.

D

Don’t be so sure about that. We use extra DB. Hardly ever do we use more then two LB at once.

You’re basing your view on one season.

One.

We invested heavily in linebackers in the recent draft.  The chances of keeping just 4 is pretty close to zero.   It will be a surprise if we keep only 5.  Most teams keep 6.    Linebackers play lots of special teams. 

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

They will positively keep more than 4 LBs on the roster.  Is not even a question.

In 2016 we had 11 LBs on our final roster.  In 2017 we had 7 LBs on our final roster.  In 2018 we had 6 LBs on our final roster.  We are going to keep more than 4, for sure.  

I think Walker, Leonard, okereke make the team. Then it comes down to most likely Adams. I doubt EJ speed makes the team. He will be cut or go on the practice squad. BANOGU is really a DE not a LB.

I'll call Banogu a DE (even though he's listed as LB).  We have Adams, Franklin, Leonard, Lewis, Moore, Okereke, Speed, Thomas, Walker at LB.  Like you said, Leonard, Walker, Okereke are pretty much locks.  I thought Moore was a little slow last year, but I think he's got a good shot as he is kind of a hybrid type with good ball skills.  Adams and Franklin both played fairly large roles last year.  The FO is very high on Speed, I could see him on the PS, but they see something in him (IMO).

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Odum has a good shot at beating out Farley as our 3rd safety. That said, Odum will get a lot of snaps as it is a long season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

D

Don’t be so sure about that. We use extra DB. Hardly ever do we use more then two LB at once.

to add to your point, we only had a 3rd LB on the field 09.35% of the time. So almost 91% the time, we only used 2 LBs. Could things change, sure, but I doubt we use a true 3rd LB more than 20% of the time.

on special teams, we used on average 2.48 LBs, and 3.25 DBs per ST play.

at SS, we carried only 2 in all but a few weeks were we carried 3.

and Odum was typically listed as as the #2 FS

it's going to be interesting at S. we only carried 4-5 total Ss depending on the week. tough road for some. KWillis definitely has an uphill journey.

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There's ILB's and OLB's. We'll carry around 8 total. LBers are very important.

IIRC, we carried 6 last year all through the year, and had one LB on the PS. Honestly I don't see that changing a lot this year. If anything, there's several things that could push us to use a true 3rd LB even less. We'll be playing 9 of the 11 best passing offenses this year, which will mean more nickel and dime. If they are true to their word and push a DE to SAM on occasion, even less.

My money is on 5-6. Okereke is a good Swiss Army knife. He can back up Walker, but is probably better suited for WILL or SAM. That provides a lot of flexibility if he can be the 9.35% SAM, and primary backup for Leonard and Walker. I think Leonard, Walker, and Okereke are locks, and then 2-3 more.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I wouldn't read too much into it. It's just camp. I also wouldn't be surprised. Geathers has been shifting into that role lately. Not sure how I feel about Odum as the starting SS, but the coaches seem to like it.

Odom has three ints. He has been on fire. If he keeps  playing  like that he needs to start

17 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

As far as linebackers goes, they will keep at least 6: Leonard, Walker, Adams, Speed, Franklin, and whomever wins the last spot....

Banogu is a defensive end, where he should be.

Agreed. 6 lbs makes the most sense.

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It looks like he might already be ahead of Farley.

If i remember correctly Farley is still being worked back in, remember he sustained that injury that forced him to be IR’d. But I meant as far as making the roster I believe he’ll be a lock over Kindred. 

12 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

If i remember correctly Farley is still being worked back in, remember he sustained that injury that forced him to be IR’d. But I meant as far as making the roster I believe he’ll be a lock over Kindred. 

Kindred prob won't  make the team