Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 - 2020 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:46 PM, MTC said:

Did anyone here watch the press conference with Malcolm Brogdon? Really seems like a nice guy with strong character and leadership. 

He seems unusually intelligent

We're betting he can get better..and $20 mil a year isn't that much anymore

11 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Im shocked...but it does make sense..

Westbrook and Harden know each other..

..and Chris Paul gets a chance to be the No. 1 guy

the salaries match...

This is craziness......but I like that Westbrook didn't go to Miami

It is funny how Daryl Morey thinks Westbrook and Harden will work but the overrated Sam Presti who has got rid all of his great players did not. People love Sam Presti for some odd reason in OKC and here is who he has traded or did not re-sign = Harden, Durant, Ibaka, Oladipo, Sabonis, George, and now Westbrook. He is terrible IMO. That is his record and no championships. He can draft great but he keeps nobody, it is laughable looking at that talent and no championships over the last 8 years. 

Your facts are right, 2006Coltsbestever!   LeBron should be completely healthy from his late season injury - I think he missed the last two or three games of the regular season and should be ready alsong with AD, for the Lakers training camp in September.   Safe to say the competition went up another level by the free agent signings of both the Lakers and the Clippers this summer, and I look forward when both teams play 5 or 6 games during the regular season.  I hope those games can be televised on both ESPN and TNT.  And they share the same venue, Staples Center.  

Lakers though will initially have to adjust to new Head Coach Frank Vogel's basketball scheme, and also the additions of Miles Simon and Jason Kidd (?)  as assistant coaches, and stability in the Lakers front office and management since Jeannie Buss is still the team owner, after Jeannie fired his brother, Jim Buss, and Magic Johnson resigned.  General Manager Rob Perlinka kept the LA Lakers competetive by recruiting and signing Anthony Davis and other players.   Both the Lakers and Clippers reloaded with veteran, and entertaining talent we NBA fans will look forward to when the 2019-20 NBA Regular Season begins in October!

3 minutes ago, LucasOilStadium said:

Your facts are right, 2006Coltsbestever!   LeBron should be completely healthy from his late season injury - I think he missed the last two or three games of the regular season and should be ready alsong with AD, for the Lakers training camp in September.   Safe to say the competition went up another level by the free agent signings of both the Lakers and the Clippers this summer, and I look forward when both teams play 5 or 6 games during the regular season.  I hope those games can be televised on both ESPN and TNT.  And they share the same venue, Staples Center.  

Lakers though will initially have to adjust to new Head Coach Frank Vogel's basketball scheme, and also the additions of Miles Simon and Jason Kidd (?)  as assistant coaches, and stability in the Lakers front office and management since Jeannie Buss is still the team owner, after Jeannie fired his brother, Jim Buss, and Magic Johnson resigned.  General Manager Rob Perlinka kept the LA Lakers competetive by recruiting and signing Anthony Davis and other players.   Both the Lakers and Clippers reloaded with veteran, and entertaining talent we NBA fans will look forward to when the 2019-20 NBA Regular Season begins in October!

I would take the Lakers and Clippers and give the field if I was betting. Sometimes super teams do not work out because of chemistry but those teams are loaded.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is funny how Daryl Morey thinks Westbrook and Harden will work but the overrated Sam Presti who has got rid all of his great players did not. People love Sam Presti for some odd reason in OKC and here is who he has traded or did not re-sign = Harden, Durant, Ibaka, Oladipo, Sabonis, George, and now Westbrook. He is terrible IMO. That is his record and no championships. He can draft great but he keeps nobody, it is laughable looking at that talent and no championships over the last 8 years. 

Harden trade ended up being one of the worst ever. Presti deserves blame for Durant leaving. But he turned Ibaka to Dipo and Sabonis, those two to PG and PG to the biggest draft pick haul in NBA history.

He drafted 3 MVPs three years in a row. I don't think anyone else has done the same. He has his flaws but he's far from terrible. Terrible GMs don't haul in talent like that. 

21 minutes ago, Finball said:

Harden trade ended up being one of the worst ever. Presti deserves blame for Durant leaving. But he turned Ibaka to Dipo and Sabonis, those two to PG and PG to the biggest draft pick haul in NBA history.

He drafted 3 MVPs three years in a row. I don't think anyone else has done the same. He has his flaws but he's far from terrible. Terrible GMs don't haul in talent like that. 

He drafts great as I stated but he can't keep nobody lmao . He won't get another Durant or Westbrook or Harden, so I wish him luck now. He even lucked into George and could not keep him. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He drafts great as I stated but he can't keep nobody lmao . He won't get another Durant or Westbrook or Harden, so I wish him luck now. He even lucked into George and could not keep him. 

He could have kept PG and Westbrook but didn't want to. Better trade them for a good/great haul and start the rebuild than keep them, have the team in luxury tax and lose in the 1st round.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:33 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Carsen Edwards is going to be a really good player IMO. Been balling out for the Celtics in the summer league.

Averaging 17 pts a game in limited action too!!! Word is Celtics are working on a guaranteed contract for him, not common for second rounders! Pacers had a chance to sign him but traded the pick, that’s too bad!!! 

5 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Pacers signed Justin Holiday to a one year deal

Good signing...

...a wing player who averaged double figures off the bench....

Decent defender....and a vet..age 30 on a team of young folks

..and its not like he doesn't know anybody on the team.

On 7/19/2019 at 2:50 PM, RockThatBlue said:

So can anybody tell me whats going on with the TJ McConnell deal? I was busy most of this week but heard the Pacers apparently never officially announced the signing or something like that? 

I believe I read that he's signing at the end of the week. 

Myles Turner worked out with Kevin McHale last week, focusing on post moves. I'm hesitant to get too excited about this, but a part of me can't help it. I hope that he takes what he learned to heart and can successfully integrate it into his game. Pacer fans are surely ready for him to show that he's more than a 13 and 7 guy that happens to have elite defensive timing. The best part of it all was reading Kevin McHale's quote of "You gotta nice jumper but get yer a## on the block"

http://mylesturnerbasketball.org/pacers-forward-myles-turner-worked-on-post-moves-with-hall-of-famer-kevin-mchale-via-indystar/

I don't think this has been posted here, but Pacers signed another Center on a partially guaranteed deal.

Amidah Brimah, C, 7'

"The seven-footer most recently played for the Austin Spurs of the G-League, where he averaged 8.8 PPG, 8.2 RPG and 2.9 BPG in only 23.3 MPG.

The 25-year-old excelled in the Las Vegas Summer League with the Summer Nets, as he averaged 6.2 PPG, 4.5 RPG and 2.2 BPG in just 12.5 MPG. That comes out to 17.9 points, 13 rebounds and 6.3 blocks (!!!) per 36 minutes."

https://www.indycornrows.com/2019/7/18/20699993/pacers-sign-amida-brimah-to-one-year-deal

On 7/11/2019 at 11:31 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

His great drafting keeps him from being a laughingstock.   I also give him a bit of a pass because of OKC.   Small market where players do not want to sign.  

If I was running the Thunder, I would consider just playing out the next few years with the 15 first round picks they have.  Especially in this time of "superteams".  

On 7/23/2019 at 2:39 PM, Myles said:

His great drafting keeps him from being a laughingstock.   I also give him a bit of a pass because of OKC.   Small market where players do not want to sign.  

If I was running the Thunder, I would consider just playing out the next few years with the 15 first round picks they have.  Especially in this time of "superteams".  

i think they might trade some of those picks, how many young players can one team develop?  roster space is pretty tight in the nba too

at least their own picks might be pretty high now 

Been seeing a Bradley Beal rumor floating around? Not sure where it came from, but figured I'd post it.

Wizards rec:

Sabonis

A. Holiday

TJ Warren

Doug McBuckets

2022 1st round pick

Pacers rec:

Bradley Beal

Would you guys be interested in that deal?

2022 is supposed to be the Double Talent draft. Age limit reduced, will have 1st year college studs and high school prospects in it.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Been seeing a Bradley Beal rumor floating around? Not sure where it came from, but figured I'd post it.

Wizards rec:

Sabonis

A. Holiday

TJ Warren

Doug McBuckets

2022 1st round pick

Pacers rec:

Bradley Beal

Would you guys be interested in that deal?

2022 is supposed to be the Double Talent draft. Age limit reduced, will have 1st year college studs and high school prospects in it.

I wouldn't do that deal because we already have one of the best backcourts in the league when Oladipo comes back with Brogdon. I would not trade Sabonis, that is a problem as well.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wouldn't do that deal because we already have one of the best backcourts in the league when Oladipo comes back with Brogdon. I would not trade Sabonis, that is a problem as well.

Yeah I probably feel the same, but I'm sure Brogdon, Dipo and Beal would be just fine in the lineup together.

Would need TJ Leaf, Alize and Goga to stepup big time if we made this move.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 11:41 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes I would like the opportunity to see this roster play out after Dipo returns and before. Im optimistic for the season as a whole . May be some growing pains , but I like the overall makeup of this team.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:15 AM, JPFolks said:

So, since nothing of interest is going on in football, who is excited to see the Pacers with their new lineup this year? 

Bueller? Bueller?

I remember last year many people were using the "team chemistry" as a main reason why they would succeed.   With the shake up in the roster, will that hurt them much.   

My early prediction is 5th in the East.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I remember last year many people were using the "team chemistry" as a main reason why they would succeed.   With the shake up in the roster, will that hurt them much.   

My early prediction is 5th in the East.  

Myles, I think it really depends on Oladipo.  How soon and how good is he when he comes back.,  If he's the old Victor, I think they could challenge for 3-5th.  If he's just not the same, we'll be 6-8th and likely out in Round 1 again.  And with little cap space going forward, it will be tough to do better than 4th-8th if the current team can't crack the top 3.  

On the other hand, if Vic comes back in December and plays well, we'll have the best defensive backcourt in the league.  It might all come down to if Sabonis can defend a Power Forward out to the line and coexist effectually on Offense.  They pretty much have to switch on O and D.  Sabonis plays the 4 on Defense and the 5 on Offense and vice versa.  To be honest, I am now way more excited about the Pacers than the Colts now.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2019 at 5:59 PM, JPFolks said:

Myles, I think it really depends on Oladipo.  How soon and how good is he when he comes back.,  If he's the old Victor, I think they could challenge for 3-5th.  If he's just not the same, we'll be 6-8th and likely out in Round 1 again.  And with little cap space going forward, it will be tough to do better than 4th-8th if the current team can't crack the top 3.  

On the other hand, if Vic comes back in December and plays well, we'll have the best defensive backcourt in the league.  It might all come down to if Sabonis can defend a Power Forward out to the line and coexist effectually on Offense.  They pretty much have to switch on O and D.  Sabonis plays the 4 on Defense and the 5 on Offense and vice versa.  To be honest, I am now way more excited about the Pacers than the Colts now.  

I think the Pacers are still around the 4-6th seed in the East.

On 10/4/2019 at 8:10 PM, RockThatBlue said:

So did anyone watch the game? I heard Brogdon played really well.

No, but I did watch some highlights. 

Turner and Sabonis looked good playing together. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Sabonis on the trade block.  What would you like to see in return for him?

not laughing at you, just the circumstances around this guy 

hes a good player but if he doesnt fit with turner they should trade one of them.  two bigs would work against a few teams but the majority of the league has gone small.  it could be a good lineup at times, but it wont be for the most part imo 

9 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Per who?

several sources are saying it now, just google saboins trade block.  they are using words like pacers are involved in active trade talks

10 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Per who?

Multiple sources are reporting it.  The Pacers and Sabonis are pretty far apart on contract talks, so the Pacers are actively involved in trade talks.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

hes a good player but if he doesnt fit with turner they should trade one of them.  two bigs would work against a few teams but the majority of the league has gone small.  it could be a good lineup at times, but it wont be for the most part imo

Unpopular opinion: I'd rather see them trade Turner than Sabonis.  I understand what Turner brings defensively at the rim and that he can shoot the 3, but let's just compare stats during the last 2 years:

Sabonis (per 36 mins): 18.8 points, 12.5 rebounds, 55.3% shooting

Turner (per 36 mins): 16.5 points, 8.6 rebounds (!), 48.3% shooting

Sabonis (advanced stats): 19.8 PER, .600 true shooting %, 0.162 win shares/48

Turner (advances stats):  17.3 PER, .567 TS%, 0.133 win shares/48

Now just last year's stats, per 36:

Sabonis: 20.4 points, 4.2 assists, 13.5 rebounds, 59.0 FG%

Turner: 16.7 points, 2.0 assists, 9.0 rebounds, 48.7 FG%

And last year's advanced stats:

Sabonis: 21.9 PER, .630 TS%, 0.197 win shares/48

Turner: 18.0 PER, .567 TS%, 0.144 WS/48

There are obviously some stats where Turner outperforms Sabonis (eg. blocks, fewer turnovers), so I don't want to give the impression that I'm cherry-picking here.  Turner has a higher ceiling, is more athletic, and has more potential/talent, which is why I think the Pacers could get more in return for him than for Sabonis.  Sabonis has a higher floor and works harder; he maximizes his talent better than Turner.  Trading Turner also opens up more possibilities because of his contract.  If you trade Turner, you keep the less flashy, but more effective, player, while also getting more in return.

I would have loved to see the Pacers target Beal, but now that he signed his extension, I think that's out of the question.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Multiple sources are reporting it.  The Pacers and Sabonis are pretty far apart on contract talks, so the Pacers are actively involved in trade talks.

Unpopular opinion: I'd rather see them trade Turner than Sabonis.  I understand what Turner brings defensively at the rim and that he can shoot the 3, but let's just compare stats during the last 2 years:

Sabonis (per 36 mins): 18.8 points, 12.5 rebounds, 55.3% shooting

Turner (per 36 mins): 16.5 points, 8.6 rebounds (!), 48.3% shooting

Sabonis (advanced stats): 19.8 PER, .600 true shooting %, 0.162 win shares/48

Turner (advances stats):  17.3 PER, .567 TS%, 0.133 win shares/48

Now just last year's stats, per 36:

Sabonis: 20.4 points, 4.2 assists, 13.5 rebounds, 59.0 FG%

Turner: 16.7 points, 2.0 assists, 9.0 rebounds, 48.7 FG%

And last year's advanced stats:

Sabonis: 21.9 PER, .630 TS%, 0.197 win shares/48

Turner: 18.0 PER, .567 TS%, 0.144 WS/48

There are obviously some stats where Turner outperforms Sabonis (eg. blocks, fewer turnovers), so I don't want to give the impression that I'm cherry-picking here.  Turner has a higher ceiling, is more athletic, and has more potential/talent, which is why I think the Pacers could get more in return for him than for Sabonis.  Sabonis has a higher floor and works harder; he maximizes his talent better than Turner.  Trading Turner also opens up more possibilities because of his contract.  If you trade Turner, you keep the less flashy, but more effective, player, while also getting more in return.

I would have loved to see the Pacers target Beal, but now that he signed his extension, I think that's out of the question.

I share the same opinion. Playing in the East, Sabonis is the better "big man" of the two. Sabonis would be a double/double machine if he got to start at the 5 full-time. 

Archived