Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 - 2020 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel pretty good with where the Pacers stand in the East.

- Toronto - Just a guess but I'm thinking Kawhi goes to LA. They won't be a threat in the East if he leaves.

- Brooklyn - They "won" free agency today but even if KD returns healthy I don't think they are unbeatable. Obviously you have to love the talent of Kyrie and KD but I'm not sure about the personalities and their leadership. I don't get the DeAndre Jordan signing when they already have Jarrett Allen not to mention the fact that Kyrie and KD gave up like $5 million each so the Nets could sign DeAndre.

- Milwaukee - Giannis is an elite talent and can still get better but the rest of their team is nothing to get excited about and they are losing a key guard and forward.

- Philadelphia - They still have great talent despite losing Jimmy Butler but I think Redick leaving hurts a lot and I'm not convinced their starters fit together that well. Maybe the Pacers can dump McDermott on them.

- Boston - They need to replace Horford but might be the team to beat next year in the East. I think replacing Kyrie with Kemba is a win for them and Tatum/Brown should only get better.

The Pacers have their own question marks. First up being how Victor plays when he returns. The next being how well this new group plays with each other.

I still think Sabonis/Turner playing together is questionable and wonder if KP finds a deal for Sabonis in the weeks to come.

If I were forced to guess how the first day of free agency would turn out for the Pacers I would have said re-sign Bojan and sign Rubio. I'm glad the Pacers went the direction they did. I think they hit the ceiling with the core group they had the last couple of years and it was time to switch gears. We'll see how well this new group does together.

4 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

I think Sabonis is gone too with the Brogdon trade. Maybe not during the summer, but the trade deadline at the latest. Preferably a PF (Aaron Gordon was being thrown around). 

that would be absolutely amazing him or brown would be great 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They lost Redick they are toast IMO. He opened everything up for them.

While Redick was important, he was still just their 5th best player last year. He was their best 3 point shooter on a team that desperately needs spacing bc of Simmons and Embiid. But Richardson and Horford can space the floor. Richardson is also plus defender on the perimeter where Redick was a liability and he can create his own shot. Simmons needs to learn to score outside of 5 feet either way. Their length on D is exceptional as their 2nd shortest player in their starting lineup is 6'9 with 6'11 wingspan. Richardson is 6'6 with wingspan of 6'10.

As of now, their depth is horrible especially on shooting department. If they fix that, I think they are my early pick for the team to beat in the East.

7 hours ago, ar7 said:

GSW has to be going into the tax for this, right?

Looks like they are trading Iguodala and a 1st to the Grizzles. Iguodala might be waived by the Grizzles. He can't return to GSW for a year though.

On paper I don't think D'Angelo is the greatest fit with Curry and Thompson. At the same time I don't blame either side. Having to figure this out in a year when Klay returns isn't really a bad problem to have.

If your GSW you needed to get another star to replace KD. It's better to get D'Angelo and see what happens vs doing nothing.

For D'Angelo I don't blame him for choosing GSW over other options. Go to Minnesota if they were able to clear the cap space? Return to the Lakers or go to the Clippers? GSW is as good or better than any of those options, imo. 

In the back of my mind I thought maybe the surprise of free agency might be the Warriors ending up with another star forward, Kawhi or Jimmy Butler, to replace KD. Ending up with D'Angelo Russell isn't the worst outcome for them.

You are right, ar;

I think.

GSW lost Durant and technically, for the moment, Klay Thompson is off the team.

By trading Igudola, who made $16 mil.....they are momentarily under the cap.

They trade for D'Angelo and his $7 mil....salary...….and then resign him and sign Klay because you can go over the cap to resign your own players.

They did an end run around the salary cap and they can afford to pay the tax.

Does that make sense?

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know you are joking right? Lance Stephenson. He is an Indy all-time good, not great but good and a spark plug.

That’s who I thought it was but I wasn’t 100% sure. But yeah I know nothing about the nba or the pacers so I’m trying to learn

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Warriors dynasty is over IMO. They won 3 of 4 with Durant, Curry, and Klay. 

Maybe.    Isn't Durant all they lost?   Well and maybe a couple other pieces.   They signed Russell and still have Clay and Curry.   They'll be a top 2 seed in the West.  

PG: Brogdon / Holiday
SG: Oladipo / Lamb / Sumner
SF: Warren / McDermott / Alize
PF: Sabonis / Leaf
C : Turner / Goga

If the team is fully healthy come playoff season, they have a chance to make some noise. I would definitely sign at least one more forward or big. Possibly Lance? :D

50 minutes ago, Myles said:

Maybe.    Isn't Durant all they lost?   Well and maybe a couple other pieces.   They signed Russell and still have Clay and Curry.   They'll be a top 2 seed in the West.  

Iggy is a huge loss, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, MTC said:

I agree, but Russell is a huge gain.   I don't know if they take a huge step back, but with what they have on the team, they could still be the class of the West.   

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Magic Johnson and Lebron James can convince Kawahi Leonard to come to the Lakers, that would be one heck of a move!!!

Great post because everyone knows Magic is involved in this. He quit but he is still there and Kawhi wants to meet with me. As you know I have LeBron ranked the 4th best player ever only behind Jordan, Magic, and Kareem. If LeBron wins 2 more championships, he will be #2 IMO factoring in everything else and eye test.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

LA is about to run the west again. Klay is out for the year as well. Warriors won't be the same in 2020. Look out for the Jazz as well. On paper they look scary and they play great defense.

11 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

I’m new to the nba world so sorry for looking stupid here but who is lance?

Yes he played here for a few seasons. A proven head case. Lot's of physical abilities, but he dribbles to much, is a streak shooter that will shoot his team out of more games than be a plus. 
 Sorry, but i would be shocked if we put his head back into our lockeroom.
 He is TEAM Player problem. JMO

4 hours ago, Finball said:

While Redick was important, he was still just their 5th best player last year. He was their best 3 point shooter on a team that desperately needs spacing bc of Simmons and Embiid. But Richardson and Horford can space the floor. Richardson is also plus defender on the perimeter where Redick was a liability and he can create his own shot. Simmons needs to learn to score outside of 5 feet either way. Their length on D is exceptional as their 2nd shortest player in their starting lineup is 6'9 with 6'11 wingspan. Richardson is 6'6 with wingspan of 6'10.

As of now, their depth is horrible especially on shooting department. If they fix that, I think they are my early pick for the team to beat in the East.

I like Horford but losing a shooter like Redick will hurt spacing and opening the floor up. Sixers have very little shooting from 3.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

LA is about to run the west again. Klay is out for the year as well. Warriors won't be the same in 2020. Look out for the Jazz as well. On paper they look scary and they play great defense.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Clay being out.   They will still be a top 3 team in the West.   I'm not sold on the Lakers ruling just yet.   Now if they get Leonard, they will be the favorites, no question.   

Looks like Vegas has the Lakers as the favorites.  They got the Pacers 6th in the East.

NBA Title Odds:

Lakers +175

Bucks +650

76ers 10-1

Warriors 10-1

Raptors 10-1

Clippers 10-1

Rockets 12-1

Jazz 16-1

Nuggets 18-1

Nets 25-1

Celtics 25-1

Thunder 30-1

Trail Blazers 30-1

Pacers 40-1

Mavericks 50-1

Spurs 50-1

Pelicans 50-1

Magic 100-1

Kings 100-1

Heat 100-1

Knicks 100-1

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Clay being out.   They will still be a top 3 team in the West.   I'm not sold on the Lakers ruling just yet.   Now if they get Leonard, they will be the favorites, no question.   

Looks like Vegas has the Lakers as the favorites.  They got the Pacers 6th in the East.

NBA Title Odds:

Lakers +175

Bucks +650

76ers 10-1

Warriors 10-1

Raptors 10-1

Clippers 10-1

Rockets 12-1

Jazz 16-1

Nuggets 18-1

Nets 25-1

Celtics 25-1

Thunder 30-1

Trail Blazers 30-1

Pacers 40-1

Mavericks 50-1

Spurs 50-1

Pelicans 50-1

Magic 100-1

Kings 100-1

Heat 100-1

Knicks 100-1

Yeah we have to see what Leonard does, that will be the key to the odds IMO. If he leaves the East, the East is really wide open then. If we have 100% Vic I like our chances in the East. Brogdon is really good and we have 2 quality big's in Turner and Sabonis.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

PG: Brogdon / Holiday
SG: Oladipo / Lamb / Sumner
SF: Warren / McDermott / Alize
PF: Sabonis / Leaf
C : Turner / Goga

If the team is fully healthy come playoff season, they have a chance to make some noise. I would definitely sign at least one more forward or big. Possibly Lance? :D

I think the team still needs a backup 3/4, someone who fills the Thad role. Not sure who on the market is available to do that. I'm not comfortable with the 3/4 role. Warren's a scorer, but his D isn't that good. I don't know how good Sabonis will be at PF. We need someone who can defend wings, and guys like Giannis, Leonard, etc.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Warriors got DLo so they can still stay competitive. Weird fit when Klay comes back but indications are Klay can play the 3, and GS might trade DLo after the season.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Losers of free agency so far (IMO):

Washington Wizards

New York Knicks (duh)

Sacramento Kings

Timberwolves and Hornets. Wolves can't move Wiggins at all and they got played by D'Lo. I feel bad for Hornets fans. Kemba walks and Rozier gets a huge payday.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we have to see what Leonard does, that will be the key to the odds IMO. If he leaves the East, the East is really wide open then. If we have 100% Vic I like our chances in the East. Brogdon is really good and we have 2 quality big's in Turner and Sabonis.

I think East is pretty open even if he stays. There's no guarantee that they'll be able to maintain that historical defense. Siakam will probably develop further but vets like Gasol and Lowry could decline even further. Kawhi would be the best player in the East so that's hard to overcome but not impossible. 

Healthy Pacers should have a chance against every team in the East unless Philly gets lot of shooters and play up to their talent on paper (I don't think that will happen).

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

If Magic Johnson and Lebron James can convince Kawahi Leonard to come to the Lakers, that would be one heck of a move!!!

And that would probably be it for me and the NBA. I still hold out hope that Kawhi resigns with Toronto. 

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Not really that impressive. They already have two superstars. It's LA, and Kawhi comes from there. Plus they'd have the best chance of winning a championship. Not that hard of a sell. If the Clippers landed him, that would be impressive.

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

And that would probably be it for me and the NBA. I still hold out hope that Kawhi resigns with Toronto. 

Nah, I want him to go out West. I don't care where he goes. The West is going to be a bloodbath anyways. If he goes to the East, I only want him on the Pacers (not happening).

Just some thoughts (sorry for the triple post lol):

- I don't think Rubio was a smokescreen like everyone was saying. There was too much smoke for there not to be fire. Almost every insider was saying it was happening and even executives believed it. I think they moved away from Rubio when Middleton got extended and made Brogdon more likely. The Rozier contract certainly didn't help either

- This team still isn't complete. As of now, I'd put Bucks and 76ers above us (assuming Dipo is fully healthy). There's a weak spot at 3/4, in terms of defense. Sabonis is kind of a weird fit at the 4, and I'm not sure how well he'd play next to Myles. Warren is a good scorer, just not a good defender. He can't guard wings, which is what this team needs (maybe Burke can work his magic again)

- This lineup w/o any changes looks pretty good (again, assuming Dipo is fully healthy). 1-3 and 5 can all score and create their own shot. Brogdon is a really nice fit w/ Dipo and can be used in many multiple guard lineups. 

- While Dipo is out, play the youth. Play Holiday, play Leaf, play Goga. We need to know what we have before Dipo comes back and this team gets serious about making the playoffs

- I think Sabonis is traded at one point. He's an awkward fit and is set to be extended. I don't think Pacers have money for the extension he's looking for. If he doesn't work out next to Myles, I think he gets traded at the trade deadline (maybe Aaron Gordon or Brown?). The problem is if he works out next to Myles.

-Don't worry if this team doesn't get out to a good start. We brought in (and lost) several players and chemistry needs to be built. Same goes for when Dipo comes back. 

- I want to see Myles take the next step. His defense is great but he'd easily become one of the best C's in the league if he was more consistent on offense. He'd be a monster (hopefully Brogdon can help). 

- This bench isn't good, even with Lamb. They have potential but as of now the team isn't that deep. I'd look for a player who fits the Thad role and maybe a veteran with whatever money you have left. If you swing a trade, that works, but I have no idea how the salaries would work or who we would target (Gordon or Brown?)

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to get these thoughts down. 

Looks like we have around $5-$6m in cap space, w/ Goga cap hold included.

Got the 2yr $10m exception also.

Hollis-Jefferson would be nice on that 2yr $10m deal.

Lance vet min

WCS $3-$5m?

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Looks like we have around $5-$6m in cap space, w/ Goga cap hold included.

Got the 2yr $10m exception also.

Hollis-Jefferson would be nice on that 2yr $10m deal.

Lance vet min

WCS $3-$5m?

RHJ or Stanley Johnson. No to WCS or Lance. I know you all love Lance but he's not what this team needs. We don't need WCS on this team either.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You will still watch, we all do. When LeBron went to Miami to join Wade and Bosh I said I would never watch again and there I was haha 

Wade and Bosh aren't the players that Davis and Leonard are. Neither were top-5 NBA'ers when Lebron joined them. Kawhi has a strong case as being the best player in the NBA right now, and I fully believe that. This is a totally different, and even worse, scenario than the Miami nonsense.

3 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Nah, I want him to go out West. I don't care where he goes. The West is going to be a bloodbath anyways. If he goes to the East, I only want him on the Pacers (not happening).

No different than in the 90's with Jordan, I wouldn't have wanted him anywhere but Chicago. I don't like seeing the East being weak and just to make it "easy" for the Pacers. How I miss the 80's and 90's NBA..

1 minute ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Wade and Bosh aren't the players that Davis and Leonard are. Neither were top-5 NBA'ers when Lebron joined them. Kawhi has a strong case as being the best player in the NBA right now, and I fully believe that. This is a totally different, and even worse, scenario than the Miami nonsense.

No different than in the 90's with Jordan, I wouldn't have wanted him anywhere but Chicago. I don't like seeing the East being weak and just to make it "easy" for the Pacers. How I miss the 80's and 90's NBA..

I truly miss the 80's, 90's mainly because the Pacers were very good almost every year that decade. Wade was top 5 IMO when LeBron joined. Bosh was top 15 so yeah that was pretty bad non-sense when it went down.

Really hope Kawhi goes to the Clippers. I think the NBA for the first time in years wouldn't have one super team thats head and shoulders above everyone if that happened. If he goes to the Lakers might as well just mail them the trophy already. Would basically become the new Warriors. Yuck.

57 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Really hope Kawhi goes to the Clippers. I think the NBA for the first time in years wouldn't have one super team thats head and shoulders above everyone if that happened. If he goes to the Lakers might as well just mail them the trophy already. Would basically become the new Warriors. Yuck.

I am not a LeBron fan but if Leonard goes to the Lakers I would be ok with it. I like the Lakers, Pacers are my #1 but the Lakers are 2nd. It's an 80's thing with me, I loved Magic so that is just my fandom. I think Leonard will either go to the Clippers or stay in Toronto. Lakers would be his 3rd choice IMO. No word on Danny Green yet either.

Most people hate the Lakers and I get it because they used to win a lot but they haven't won a championship since 2010 = 10 years lol. They got screwed over by the league with the CP3 deal plain and simple and they have sucked since 2014. So if they get Leonard it is what it is IMO. I am just happy the Pacers got Brogdon, that was huge!

13 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Just some thoughts (sorry for the triple post lol):

- I don't think Rubio was a smokescreen like everyone was saying. There was too much smoke for there not to be fire. Almost every insider was saying it was happening and even executives believed it. I think they moved away from Rubio when Middleton got extended and made Brogdon more likely. The Rozier contract certainly didn't help either

- This team still isn't complete. As of now, I'd put Bucks and 76ers above us (assuming Dipo is fully healthy). There's a weak spot at 3/4, in terms of defense. Sabonis is kind of a weird fit at the 4, and I'm not sure how well he'd play next to Myles. Warren is a good scorer, just not a good defender. He can't guard wings, which is what this team needs (maybe Burke can work his magic again)

- This lineup w/o any changes looks pretty good (again, assuming Dipo is fully healthy). 1-3 and 5 can all score and create their own shot. Brogdon is a really nice fit w/ Dipo and can be used in many multiple guard lineups. 

- While Dipo is out, play the youth. Play Holiday, play Leaf, play Goga. We need to know what we have before Dipo comes back and this team gets serious about making the playoffs

- I think Sabonis is traded at one point. He's an awkward fit and is set to be extended. I don't think Pacers have money for the extension he's looking for. If he doesn't work out next to Myles, I think he gets traded at the trade deadline (maybe Aaron Gordon or Brown?). The problem is if he works out next to Myles.

-Don't worry if this team doesn't get out to a good start. We brought in (and lost) several players and chemistry needs to be built. Same goes for when Dipo comes back. 

- I want to see Myles take the next step. His defense is great but he'd easily become one of the best C's in the league if he was more consistent on offense. He'd be a monster (hopefully Brogdon can help). 

- This bench isn't good, even with Lamb. They have potential but as of now the team isn't that deep. I'd look for a player who fits the Thad role and maybe a veteran with whatever money you have left. If you swing a trade, that works, but I have no idea how the salaries would work or who we would target (Gordon or Brown?)

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to get these thoughts down. 

I agree, trading Sabonis for Aaron Gordon and his $18M per for 3 years is a good fit.

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I agree, trading Sabonis for Aaron Gordon and his $18M per for 3 years is a good fit.

It is for Pacers but Magic have Isaac, Bamba and Vucevic already.. And they signed Aminu.

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most people hate the Lakers and I get it because they used to win a lot but they haven't won a championship since 2010 = 10 years lol. They got screwed over by the league with the CP3 deal plain and simple and they have sucked since 2014. So if they get Leonard it is what it is IMO. I am just happy the Pacers got Brogdon, that was huge!

the lakers are the main reason Reggie didnt get a ring I hope they suck for the rest of time

Archived