Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 - 2020 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irving is better than Kemba but I think Kemba is a much better fit in Boston that it will end up being an upgrade for the Celtics. It sounds like they will lose Horford and that is likely to be a bigger loss for them but we'll see who they can get to replace him. (assuming he does in fact leave)

Not many players the Pacers are linked to but I imagine we'll have to see what happens with Bojan.

Something I need to get off my mind...

I'm tired of hearing all of the talk on how hard it is for small market teams like the Pacers to win.  The Pacers are usually in the top half of the league in team salaries. There usually isn't a ton that separates the team that spends the 15th most in the league and the team that spends the 4th. 

I've been listening the podcasts on 1070 this week and last for the Pacers talk. JMV has thrown out there how easy it is for New York, LA teams, etc to make up for mistakes. What? Outside of when the Lakers signed Shaq and recently Lebron...not so much. New York has stunk for 20 years and as of right now they haven't landed the big name free agents perception would leave you to believe. When have any big time free agents signed with the Clippers? The Warriors didn't get one (Durant) until they showed they were competing for a championship.

We have heard how players don't want to play in Indy because of the lack of a beach, nightlife, Doyel claimed this week politics, etc. We all thought Paul George was heading to LA. Then the Thunder traded for him, obviously built a good relationship with him, has some good players for him to play with and...he stays. This could have happened with the Pacers but they haven't done a good job of building the roster. If you put together a good team, build relationships with the players, and pay them they are likely to stay.

I'm sure we will only hear more of this nobody wants to play in Indiana talk in the weeks to come but I think a lot of it is just excuse making by the team and local media. The Pacers have had some good shots at winning a title over the years. If they can draft well and/or make a trade for an up and coming player (Jalen Rose, Jermaine O'Neal) they can be back at the top of the East.

9 hours ago, ar7 said:

Irving is better than Kemba but I think Kemba is a much better fit in Boston that it will end up being an upgrade for the Celtics. It sounds like they will lose Horford and that is likely to be a bigger loss for them but we'll see who they can get to replace him. (assuming he does in fact leave)

Not many players the Pacers are linked to but I imagine we'll have to see what happens with Bojan.

I'm tired of hearing all of the talk on how hard it is for small market teams like the Pacers to win.  The Pacers are usually in the top half of the league in team salaries. There usually isn't a ton that separates the team that spends the 15th most in the league and the team that spends the 4th. 

I've been listening the podcasts on 1070 this week and last for the Pacers talk. JMV has thrown out there how easy it is for New York, LA teams, etc to make up for mistakes. What? Outside of when the Lakers signed Shaq and recently Lebron...not so much. New York has stunk for 20 years and as of right now they haven't landed the big name free agents perception would leave you to believe. When have any big time free agents signed with the Clippers? The Warriors didn't get one (Durant) until they showed they were competing for a championship.

We have heard how players don't want to play in Indy because of the lack of a beach, nightlife, Doyel claimed this week politics, etc. We all thought Paul George was heading to LA. Then the Thunder traded for him, obviously built a good relationship with him, has some good players for him to play with and...he stays. This could have happened with the Pacers but they haven't done a good job of building the roster. If you put together a good team, build relationships with the players, and pay them they are likely to stay.

I'm sure we will only hear more of this nobody wants to play in Indiana talk in the weeks to come but I think a lot of it is just excuse making by the team and local media. The Pacers have had some good shots at winning a title over the years. If they can draft well and/or make a trade for an up and coming player (Jalen Rose, Jermaine O'Neal) they can be back at the top of the East.

pacers have never signed a free agent that went on to make an all star game here

maybe thats true for other teams i dont know, but i know we have not had a top 5 pick since the 80s too.  i think they are the only team in the league that hasnt had a high pick in that long

its getting frustrating watching this team follow the formula and it never works 

10 hours ago, ar7 said:

Top half in Salary! Hahahaha!
   How much OVER the CAP have we gone to build Your roster is the question.
  Guess you haven't noticed that free agents have been looking for situations where there will be 2-3 top talents to play with.
 Sorry, but it will be tough for us to get there without drafting in the top 3 a couple years in a row.
 The Simon's just don't want that so here we are.

Lot of pessimism in here at the moment.

We were one of the top teams in the league last year before VO went down. Not so sure why there is so much hate? To each their own.

I'm excited for today and the next week. A lot of things can/ and will happen. A lot of anticipation on my end. Crazy to think of all the different scenarios that can play out.

1. Sign Dlo, I know it probably wont happen, but could. If not maybe we do bring in Rubio, which I could get behind.

2. Sabonis for Jaylen Brown? It really just makes so much sense for both teams IMO.

3. S+T if our guys leave.(Thad, Bojan)

4. Take on salary if some other S+T go down around league.

Gordon or Tucker(Jimmy Butler)

Covington(If Minnesota needs to clear $ for Dlo)

Gallinari(If Clippers need to clear money for Kawhi +Durant/Butler)

5. Who else do we retain, sign or Trade?

Exciting times, cant wait till everything gets going.

Holiday

VO

Tucker, McBucketts

Sabonis, TJ Leaf, Alize

Turner, Goga

$30m+ cap space

$4.76m Mid level exception

Front line is pretty solid, would love to bring back Bojan, hopefully that happens. If we decide to move Sabonis, we have the pieces in place as well.

A lot of work to do in the back court though. If we could get into a potential S+T deal for Jimmy Butler and can pull out Eric Gordon, that would be great.

I imagine we add Rubio or DLo at PG so that will be good. I could also see Rubio and Holiday playing together a lot, especially while VO is out.

Chins up Naptown. Got a good team and a lot of potential, lets see how this plays out.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Top half in Salary! Hahahaha!
   How much OVER the CAP have we gone to build Your roster is the question.
  Guess you haven't noticed that free agents have been looking for situations where there will be 2-3 top talents to play with.
 Sorry, but it will be tough for us to get there without drafting in the top 3 a couple years in a row.
 The Simon's just don't want that so here we are.

They have been the top half in salary. Maybe not in your imagination they haven’t but in reality they have.

How many times has a team went over the cap to win a championship? How many times has a team gone over the cap and not or not even make the playoffs? (New York Knicks)

How many times did the Warriors draft in the top 3 to put together their first championship team?

My my point is there just seems to be a lot of what sounds like excuses the past week or two. Like we should only expect a second round exit at best for this team. I just don’t buy that.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Lot of pessimism in here at the moment.

We were one of the top teams in the league last year before VO went down. Not so sure why there is so much hate? To each their own.

I'm excited for today and the next week. A lot of things can/ and will happen. A lot of anticipation on my end. Crazy to think of all the different scenarios that can play out.

1. Sign Dlo, I know it probably wont happen, but could. If not maybe we do bring in Rubio, which I could get behind.

2. Sabonis for Jaylen Brown? It really just makes so much sense for both teams IMO.

3. S+T if our guys leave.(Thad, Bojan)

4. Take on salary if some other S+T go down around league.

Gordon or Tucker(Jimmy Butler)

Covington(If Minnesota needs to clear $ for Dlo)

Gallinari(If Clippers need to clear money for Kawhi +Durant/Butler)

5. Who else do we retain, sign or Trade?

Exciting times, cant wait till everything gets going.

Holiday

VO

Tucker, McBucketts

Sabonis, TJ Leaf, Alize

Turner, Goga

$30m+ cap space

$4.76m Mid level exception

Front line is pretty solid, would love to bring back Bojan, hopefully that happens. If we decide to move Sabonis, we have the pieces in place as well.

A lot of work to do in the back court though. If we could get into a potential S+T deal for Jimmy Butler and can pull out Eric Gordon, that would be great.

I imagine we add Rubio or DLo at PG so that will be good. I could also see Rubio and Holiday playing together a lot, especially while VO is out.

Chins up Naptown. Got a good team and a lot of potential, lets see how this plays out.

Talk Sunday morning has the Pacers looking to see if Danny Green will sign with us to take Vic's place for 3 months and then be a 6th man.

I think we have to give up a '1' for Gordon and hes just signed for 1 year.

I dont think we want to do that.

I do..but I don't think our management does

Rubio fits us....He'll set up Turner and Sabonis and Bogdonavic.

He'll also be a fan favorite..very flashy..got some Pete Maravich in him 

DeAngelo Russell is going to the Lakers, apparently and I dont think Jaylen Brown is that good a player to trade Sabonis for.\

Lets see if the 3-man rotation or Goga, Sabonis and Turner has a chance.

I dont see it but  I dont know what kind of player Goga is.

I'd trade Sabonis for Kevin Love....if the Cavs were into it

I've said this before but Tomas Satoransky plays the 1, the 2 and the 3....Good shooter. Good defender. If we cant get Green, who is a 40% lifetime 3-shooter, I like Satoransky

Bogdonavic is the key.....

He said he wants to stay with us....For us to contend in the East, he has to.

….

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

They have been the top half in salary. Maybe not in your imagination they haven’t but in reality they have.

How many times has a team went over the cap to win a championship? How many times has a team gone over the cap and not or not even make the playoffs? (New York Knicks)

How many times did the Warriors draft in the top 3 to put together their first championship team?

My my point is there just seems to be a lot of what sounds like excuses the past week or two. Like we should only expect a second round exit at best for this team. I just don’t buy that.

The team we had the last 2 years with Vic and Sabonis and Thad Young and Bogdonavic and Collison and Cory Joseph and Lance.

We put that team together over one summer, right? 

Trades..and free agent signings...

We saw the window close because Vic got hurt but we put that team together on weeks like this one coming up

Reports are that Rubio has agreed to terms and it will be announced after 6 p.m.

I'm guessing 3 years at something like $15 mil..He made $13 last year

12.7 points 3.6 rebounds, 6.1 assists ...31% on 3s....85% on FTs

In the 6-game series against Houston he was ...15.4.....3.2 and 8.6..

Pass-first point guard......who does not have 3-point range

Got to get him a couple of shooters to play with

Still to hyped for start of Free Agency.

Lets really look at what we might look like next year. 

Going to start with the thought Bojan resigns.

Holiday

(VO)

Bojan, Warren, McBuckets

Sabonis, Leaf, Alize

Turner, Goga 

$30m+ sap

$4.7 exception

I think we clear Doug's $7m+ salary, maybe using the 2nds acquired on draft day. At least hopefully. 

FA/Trade Options:

PG: Dlo, Rubio, Brogdon(RFA), Beverley, Rondo, Joseph, Rozier

SG:Eric Gordon(trade), Danny Green, Terrance Ross, Jeremy Lamb, Justin Holiday, Hood, Santoransky, Lance

? So many options.

Going to need to get something from somewhere? Backcourt is way thin.

Got Bowen and Sumner possibilities too.

Who do you guys think it is? How do we spend our money?

Bojan - $15m

Rubio $15m

Green $10m(find way to clear Doug for space)

Cory Joseph - $4.7m Exception

Holiday - min

Lance - min

Sumner - min

? IDK , just free styling some stuff.

That would look like:

PG: Rubio, Holiday, Joseph

SG: Green, Lance, (VO), Sumner

SF: Bojan, Warren, Bowen(2-way)

PF: Sabonis, TJ, Alize

C: Turner, Goga

Thoughts, then run through your possible scenarios.

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Reports are that Rubio has agreed to terms and it will be announced after 6 p.m.

I'm guessing 3 years at something like $15 mil..He made $13 last year

12.7 points 3.6 rebounds, 6.1 assists ...31% on 3s....85% on FTs

In the 6-game series against Houston he was ...15.4.....3.2 and 8.6..

Pass-first point guard......who does not have 3-point range

Got to get him a couple of shooters to play with

$15m is where I have him.

Gotta bring Bojan back. Getting kinda excited about the prospects of Rubio making plays for all our guys.

Danny Green, like you mentioned earlier.

31 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Im reading (on the Jazz web site)  that Bogdonavic is meeting with Utah Sunday afternoon....

Not good...

Hope he gives us the chance to match their offer

Yeah can't blame him if he ends up signing with the Jazz though. They will get overlooked but they can make a run even in the West.

It sound like Rubio is a lock for the Pacer. I really don't understand that if Bojan is not brought back. Rubio isn't a very good shooter so you need to surround him with those. Victor is pretty ball dominate and right now it looks like Domas will be the 4?

I still think Domas might get traded. I know KP has said him and Myles will play together but what else is he supposed to say?

14 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Kevin Durant will also sign with New Jersey, according to again  'multiple reports'

sorry...NJ is Brooklyn

I can't say I'm shocked at Durant going there based on the rumors but I really don't understand why he would want to leave Golden State. They were willing to pay him and him and Klay coming back in 2020-2021 makes them one of the favorites if not the favorite to win the championship again.

Every place is going to have issues to work through. No situation is perfect. To choose playing with Kyrie and ? over Curry, Thompson, and Green though? I just don't understand. 

If Rubio is only signed for 2 years....that matches the timeline for Vic's contract.

We have to have guards...Even if we sign Rubio, we still need another guard.

With Rubio and Bogdonavic, we're a playoff team.

On Offense. Domas will be the '5'...Myles will be the '4'  Myles has no post game

On defense, Myles will be the '5' and Domas will be the '4'....so Myles can rim protect

That's the weak spot ..asking Sabonis to guard 4s.

Will we be playing some zone defense?

1 minute ago, ar7 said:

I can't say I'm shocked at Durant going there based on the rumors but I really don't understand why he would want to leave Golden State. They were willing to pay him and him and Klay coming back in 2020-2021 makes them one of the favorites if not the favorite to win the championship again.

Every place is going to have issues to work through. No situation is perfect. To choose playing with Kyrie and ? over Curry, Thompson, and Green though? I just don't understand. 

I agree.

Durant is a guy in search of a happy place..

OKC wasn't enough...GSW isn't enough

New York is a tough place

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

We signed Brogdon to offer sheet?

Hopefully they dont match

That's right..they can match..

But they just signed Lopez and Middleton....

Brogdon is in his prime...6-foot-5..

he'll be 27 in December

15.6 points..4.5 rebounds and 3.2 assists

40% on 3s...89% from the line

We have our partner for Vic

Archived