Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yeah, I expect him to be gone too. But if he's still there at 26, I don't doubt for one second that Ballard would pull the trigger. I like Burns' potential. And the Colts can't have enough pass rushers IMO. I don't care that they just signed Houston. That is short term and a guy who has been injured a lot recently. I'm as excited as anyone else with Houston joining the team....just trying to stay realistic. 

But we digress...... I expect Burns to be gone by the mid first round. 

• Like 1

Clearly the Colts were trying to bulk him up with two dinners.

I don't really know how to feel about Burns. To me he's almost a carbon copy of Turay but maybe a tad more polished. Would the Colts have room for two designated pass rushers that can't really hold up against the run? I wouldn't be mad if they took him, but that's the concern I would have.

• Like 3

He's on the back end of the elite DE grouping and is the most likely candidate to still be there at 26... so it was worth mentioning here.  I haven't studied up on him but will be doing so shortly.  

I think it's too costly to trade up for any of those guys from where we stand but it sure would be nice to have one fall right into CB's lap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

He's on the back end of the elite DE grouping and is the most likely candidate to still be there at 26... so it was worth mentioning here.  I haven't studied up on him but will be doing so shortly.  

I think it's too costly to trade up for any of those guys from where we stand but it sure would be nice to have one fall right into CB's lap.

I agree, highly doubtful we trade up. If we do it’s cause someone falls and Ballard knows he will get picked in the ensuing pick 

10 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yeah, you guys are probably right. Who do you think is a candidate for Ballard moving up, like who would have to fall?

I’m assuming a top 10-15 pick who fit a position of need who Ballard couldn’t pass up. Maybe Montez Sweat or DJ Metcalf 

23 minutes ago, TYtheGHOST said:

I agree, highly doubtful we trade up. If we do it’s cause someone falls and Ballard knows he will get picked in the ensuing pick 

That is.very possible. Brian Baldinger posted the colts and eagles pick 25th and 26th and have their eye on the same player. He didn’t say who it was. 

I wouldn't b surprised if we traded back.  I have a feeling we may go for Simmons with our 1st pick; just a hunch.   He is that DT  that is a top 10 pick but will slide because of injury.  Ballard will not get an opportunity at a player with Simmons talent in the future unless we crap the bed and r picking in the top 10 in years to come.  He is the type of DT that   this D needs to b effective over the long haul.

Still think a 3-4 team will scoop him in up before us and I think he's still a little light in the rear end to hold up against the run. 

Having said that, if some combo of Sheard/Lewis/Houston/Muhammad play running downs then Turay and Burns could come in on obvious passing downs and wreak havoc with their speed/bend to the QB.

I'll never understand the comments over the kid's weight?

He's already gained about 15 pounds of good weight and he still looks thin.    

So,  he'll gain more good weight over the next year or two.     Just like Turay will.    Which is what Ballard has said he expects.     These guys are not finished products.    

Find the pass rushers and work on the rest of their game and address their issues.    But you have to find the pass rush FIRST.

And Burns has got it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So,  he'll gain more good weight over the next year or two.     Just like Turay will.    Which is what Ballard has said he expects.     These guys are not finished products.    

Find the pass rushers and work on the rest of their game and address their issues.    But you have to find the pass rush FIRST.

And Burns has got it.

Exactly. The speed, the quickness,  the explosiveness, it's all there. Sure, he can bulk up and needs time to polish, but that's what your coaching is for.

Draft the best players for tomorrow, not today.

• Like 1

I guess the thing with Burns is that we essentially already have a guy in that mold on the team? Why not draft something we don't have, like a stud 3T or even 1T. Wouldn't be surprised to hear Jerry Tillery's name called at 26, he's got potential to be a monster 3T in the NFL. Watched him all year, and he showed stretches where he was unblockable, and against strong D1 competition. If he puts it all together, look out. 

7 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I guess the thing with Burns is that we essentially already have a guy in that mold on the team? Why not draft something we don't have, like a stud 3T or even 1T. Wouldn't be surprised to hear Jerry Tillery's name called at 26, he's got potential to be a monster 3T in the NFL. Watched him all year, and he showed stretches where he was unblockable, and against strong D1 competition. If he puts it all together, look out. 

Burns would come in and immediately be our 2nd best edge rusher at minimum, I think.  Houston is on a 2 year deal. Burns and Turay could turn into bookends for the remainder of Luck's career if they reach their potential. 

He is miles better than Tillery. 

13 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Clearly the Colts were trying to bulk him up with two dinners.

I don't really know how to feel about Burns. To me he's almost a carbon copy of Turay but maybe a tad more polished. Would the Colts have room for two designated pass rushers that can't really hold up against the run? I wouldn't be mad if they took him, but that's the concern I would have.

pretty much how I feel about all the DEs likely to be available at 26 most are tiny and will not be able to play every down 

however he is by far my favorite of the possible DL players to be available at 26 other than Simmons 

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And Burns has got it.

He is fast and agile. His ability to cover a lot of space and to chase down is probably Elite. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And Burns has got it.

Exactly.

• Like 2

here's where mocks in the last week slot him.

NFL.com's (Schrager) mock didn't include Burns in round 1

CBS's mock has him going #9

SBNation's mock has him going 17th

Bleacher Report's mock has him gong 16th

Draft Network has him going 8th

Sporting News has him going 24th

SI has him going 12th

I like him, but doubt he's available at 26. Second, all things equal and considering we picked up Houston, not sure we'd go Edge with the first pick.

For those who want Burns... (I'm one of them) what's the absolute max you would give up in order to move up in the draft for him?

1. Next year's 1st round pick

2. no.34 this year

3. no. 59 this year

4. no. 89 this year

5. I wouldn't trade anything for Burns

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

For those who want Burns... (I'm one of them) what's the absolute max you would give up in order to move up in the draft for him?

1. Next year's 1st round pick

2. no.34 this year

3. no. 59 this year

4. no. 89 this year

5. I wouldn't trade anything for Burns

Tough question. All I know is I wouldn't really want to give up the #34 or a future 1st...and I lean toward not wanting to give up #59, but just lean towards it.

My question is more I wonder what it would take. If it was over 10 spots it could take the 1st swap/future 1st (like Davenport) but I don't see Ballard moving up that high. It's possible though, and I think he'd have to since I think Burns very well goes in the 14/15 area.

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

I would not move up for Burns. 

About the only players I'd move up for are DTs Oliver and Wilkins. 

Same question about them then... and for anyone else who wants a player that might drop to the teens... what's the absolute max you would trade in order to move up to get the player you want? 

Just now, stitches said:

Same question about them then... and for anyone else who wants a player that might drop to the teens... what's the absolute max you would trade in order to move up to get the player you want? 

guess it depends on how far you want to move up....the only 2 players personally I'd move up for are Nick Bosa and Quinnen Williams, but the price would be way too much to give up. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think Oliver and Wilkins will likely go in the 7-13 range.  I'd be OK with trading our 1st and 59th or 89th, but not sure that would be enough to move up 13 or more spots. I would not give up both 26 and 34. I'd be satisfied with landing Tillery at 26, and not giving up anything. 

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I think Oliver and Wilkins will likely go in the 7-13 range.  I'd be OK with trading our 1st and 59th or 89th, but not sure that would be enough to move up 13 or more spots. I would not give up both 26 and 34. I'd be satisfied with landing Tillery at 26, and not giving up anything. 

Yeah, just looking at the Saints/Packers trade for comparison, but they traded up from #27 to #14 for a pick swap, a 5th, and a future 1st. 

I think trading up more than 10 spots would force us to include either our #34 or a future 1st, along with a pick swap. I wouldn't be crazy about that but who knows, Ballard could really like him.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, just looking at the Saints/Packers trade for comparison, but they traded up from #27 to #14 for a pick swap, a 5th, and a future 1st. 

I think trading up more than 10 spots would force us to include either our #34 or a future 1st, along with a pick swap. I wouldn't be crazy about that but who knows, Ballard could really like him.

Agreed. The only position I'd ever mortgage the future on is a truly elite QB. 

I'd be more than happy to package a pick in the 4th - 7th round range to move up a few slots, but I'm not really supportive of messing with 34 or 59 at all.  And I sure am not giving up a future first round pick.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Agreed. The only position I'd ever mortgage the future on is a truly elite QB. 

I'd be more than happy to package a pick in the 4th - 7th round range to move up a few slots, but I'm not really supportive of messing with 34 or 59 at all.  And I sure am not giving up a future first round pick.

With a 4th round pick we MIGHT be able to move up 1 spot.

6 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

With a 4th round pick we MIGHT be able to move up 1 spot.

i agree in general. really depends on the situation though. let's say you're a team sitting at 20, that has clearly made a choice based on need instead of BPA. If they know they want a player (or one of a few) that they are confident will be available at 26 (like a WR), they might be looking themselves to trade down. Depending on how far they are willing to drop, and the offers, they might be willing. there's always a few moves that are head scratchers. 

39 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

i agree in general. really depends on the situation though. let's say you're a team sitting at 20, that has clearly made a choice based on need instead of BPA. If they know they want a player (or one of a few) that they are confident will be available at 26 (like a WR), they might be looking themselves to trade down. Depending on how far they are willing to drop, and the offers, they might be willing. there's always a few moves that are head scratchers. 

Any team would be stupid to accept that. Find me one instance in the last decade where a team moved down that many spots in the first round for a 4th-7th round pick. 

3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Any team would be stupid to accept that. Find me one instance in the last decade where a team moved down that many spots in the first round for a 4th-7th round pick. 

I've seen all kinds of things. Below are just a few recent examples. None are perfect examples, but close in general. Like I said, depending on a team's situation, a lot of things can happen.

Lions move up to address long-time backfield issues

Lions receive: 
» 2018 second-round pick (No. 43) -- Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn

Patriots receive: 
» 2018 second-round pick (No. 51) -- traded to Chicago 
» 2018 fourth-round pick (No. 117) -- traded to Tampa Bay

Titans bolster pass rush with another trade

Titans receive: 
» 2018 second-round pick (No. 41) -- Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College

Raiders receive: 
» 2018 second-round pick (No. 57) -- P.J. Hall, DT, Sam Houston State 
» 2018 third-round pick (No. 89) -- traded to Los Angeles Rams